Token Names

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
If the spell or ability creating a token doesn't give it a name (and it isn't a copy), does the token have a name?
Cannot be relied upon^
Yes, the name is equal to its creature types. For example, the token created by Ambassador Oak is named "Elf Warrior"
110.5c A spell or ability that creates a creature token sets both its name and its creature type. If the spell or ability doesn’t specify the name of the creature token, its name is the same as its creature type(s). A “Goblin Scout creature token,” for example, is named “Goblin Scout” and has the creature subtypes Goblin and Scout. Once a token is on the battlefield, changing its name doesn’t change its creature type, and vice versa.

Yes, its creature type.  A 1/1 soldier token is named Soldier.  A 1/1 elf token is named Elf.
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
If the spell or ability creating a token doesn't give it a name (and it isn't a copy), does the token have a name?

Yes, it still has a name. The token's name will be equal to its creature type - an elf token is named Elf, an elf warrior token is named Elf Warrior.

(Unless it is a copy of another creature, in that case the name is also copied).

[<o>]
The abilities don't seem to specify. Do the rules make this so?
Cannot be relied upon^

110.5c. A spell or ability that creates a creature token sets both its name and its creature type. If the spell or ability doesn't specify the name of the creature token, its name is the same as its creature type(s). A "Goblin Scout creature token," for example, is named "Goblin Scout" and has the creature subtypes Goblin and Scout. Once a token is on the battlefield, changing its name doesn't change its creature type, and vice versa.

[<o>]

I'm curious: how did you manage to miss Cyphern's response?

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it was because he thought it was part of cyphern's signature and didn't notice it. (or the quote was edited in, perhaps? not sure.)

Level 3 DCI Judge Mission Viejo, CA

I'm curious: how did you manage to miss Cyphern's response?

He likely saw my post before i edited in the rulebook quote. It was a pretty short window of time, but it could happen.