[DGM-ICD] Varolz, the Scar-Striped

197 posts / 0 new
Last post
Varolz, the Scar-Striped
Legendary Creature - Troll Warrior (R)

If Varolz, the Scar-Striped would be destroyed, regenerate it and put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from Varolz: Varolz gains deathtouch until end of turn.

"Don't let him turn his back on you."
Grozdan, to Tajic

4/4

SOURCE: MTGS
I'm suspicious of Trolls on this day

great card, if real
proud member of the 2011 community team
Boring big beater, a pain in limited.  Good overall.  Just don't like it...
What's the source? 
says MTGS, but I can't view their forums at work, nor does it appear on the spoiler at the time of this post.
golgari champion?

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
MTGS isn't a source, it's a forum where anyone can post. The source on MTGS is 4chan, and it's a troll being released on April fool's day. 

This is the image "leaked":

[<o>]
Is there a link?

That's one sturdy troll. Anyone think of shenanigans yet? 
A troll leaked on April 1 is funny

On the other hand, everything about it feels extremely authentic
Is there a link?

That's one sturdy troll. Anyone think of shenanigans yet? 

boards.4chan.org/tg/res/23997106

I thought the keyword was die, "When this dude dies, put a +1/+1".
The boarder is not symmetrical as it should be:

but it doesn't die, it regenerates

Shouldn't it read: "when this dude dies, regenerate it and put a 1/1 counter on it."?
Compare with Mossbridge Troll, the wording is accurate I think.
Still doubt he's real. Kinda cool though.

Shouldn't it read: "when this dude dies, regenerate it and put a 1/1 counter on it."?

no
because regeneration doesn't replace dying, it replaces being destroyed
there is a difference

the templating is fine and accurate
I hope it's real, that's a really nice card.

no
because regeneration doesn't replace dying, it replaces being destroyed
there is a difference

the templating is fine and accurate

The wording is correct.

I don't know anything about credibility, but it looks like a decent card.
It's an extremely good blocker, Not only being a 4/4 in size (Most Indestuctible creatures are smaller), but a growing one at that, WITH the option to give it deathtouch.

AS for offence, Give it trample. (Trample+Deathtouch+FreeRegen=Bye Opponent) 
Ruric Thar may be too expensive, but there's absolutely no way this isn't played in my local Standard meta. And oh lord it'll be quite a pain for me.

L1 Judge

Ruric Thar may be too expensive, but there's absolutely no way this isn't played in my local Standard meta. And oh lord it'll be quite a pain for me.

Yeah, i guess it will.
This is also a pretty good answer against Ruric, being a creature that survives pretty much everything thrown at him, while blocking Ruric with deathtouch. 
This thing is nuts, if it is real (and it looks like it). If I had cracked a box or two before spoilers and wanted to spoil something on April 1 it would probably be a Troll, just saying.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
This thing is nuts, if it is real (and it looks like it). If I had cracked a box or two before spoilers and wanted to spoil something on April 1 it would probably be a Troll, just saying.

The sudden realisation that Wizards could have said they would start spoilering today, and give us pure crap.
The sudden realisation that Wizards could have said they would start spoilering today, and give us nothing.
The sudden realisation that Wizards could have said they WEREN'T GOING start spoilering today, and give us everything.

But yes, although that logic would apply for fake cards as well. 
...Wait, who's Grozdan?
So far the two spoiled champions look pretty nuts. If this keeps up and there are 10 solid and extremely annoying guild champions out there I will be extremely happy/frusturated.
Junk auras with Orzhov Charm and Gift of Orzhova.

Sheltering Word/Ranger's Guile etc for protection from O-Rings and Detention Spheres.  I really like that should he be targeted by Selesnya Charm, you can remove all of his counters from him without needing another card.  Though, if he's Rancor'd or Gifted then we still have a problem.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin

Sheltering Word/Ranger's Guile etc for protection from O-Rings and Detention Spheres.  I really like that should he be targeted by Selesnya Charm, you can remove all of his counters from him without needing another card.  Though, if he's Rancor'd or Gifted then we still have a problem.

Thats a good point, gonna have to be careful putting Rancor on this guy against g/w opponents.
The reality of him is definitely questionable, but unlike most fake cards he doesn't seem too terribly overpowered.

In fact, I'd put him right about on par with Uric.

Then again, as someone who frequents 4chan from time to time they are some master-class level trolls. 
I would SOOOOO love to believe this card--after all, my RTR Golgari deck is ridiculously unstoppable; and this guy would work perfectly in it...

However, my spidey-senses are tingling...could it be because this is April Fool's? Only time will tell, to the tune of the next coupla weeks...
i have a rules question now:

lets say this guy has been murdered for whatever reason and now has a +1/+1. if he would be destroyed again, the old +1/+1 counter would no longer be there correct? because counters dont move zones? and in order to regenerate the creature had to have left the battlefield right?

so the toughest he could get on his own would be a 5/5? 

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
The regeneration prevents him from leaving the battlefield, so he'd keep all the counters he has and add another counter.

Also, I'd love to have him as a commander.
I really don't care if this is real or not.

If it's fake, that's a dang fine attempt.

If it's real, drafting DGM will be nuts I think, considering the power level of our 2 known champions.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
He's can still be killed, be it through -1/-1 effects or he can be sacrificed. He isn't as blatantly over powered as the gruul champ. but, he seems to be a better card to build around.
As real as I want this to be, I still wonder about the authenticity...

Seems like he should have the creature type "Zombie", if he's the Golgari Champion...
Yeh, but Savra was guild leader and wasn't a zombie.  Also, there are trolls that aren't zombies in the golgari.
Guild "Leader" is Jarad these days; I'm referring to the Guild "Champion"...

And yes there are trolls that aren't zombies within the Golgari (Trestle Troll), but then again, there are (Lotleth Troll)

Regardless, my spidey sense is tingling that this is just an April Fool card. That's not to say I don't want it to be, because I'd love to see how many of these I'd pull when I buy my 3-2-1 (Boxes-Fat packs-Intro Deck lots) since he's at Rare rarity.

I dunno, if this particular card was spoiled on any other day I might be creamin' myself, considering his CMC-to-P&T+ability ratio.

Because it's April Fool's Day, it leaves me blue-b*lled--Golgari is how I've rolled during this block...
A Troll spoiled at April's Fool? That screams "fake" so much that I believe it's real

Maybe it was MaRo's idea to do this particular "unofficial" spoiler. He looks like the kind of guy that would do this.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Neat. Kind of hope it's real.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)

Then play it to!
I don't believe it.

To everyone saying "the power level is believable"...what?

What archetype is this weak against?  Not aggro--it outsizes a lot of their threats, and can drop on turn 4 and still have "mana open" for regen.  But it's not really weak against midrange either; drops about the same time, and fights all the nasty midgame threats.  Maybe control, but at the same time it's a big threat that dodges some of control's removal--while not backbreaking against control, it's still alright at the job. 

This isn't like Geist of St Traft (which has an obvious "play aggro, beat me" sign). 

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Sign In to post comments