Commandeer Question

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I cast Jace, The Mind Sculptor

My opponent casts Mana Drain targeting Jace

I respond to the drain with Commandeer targetting the manadrain.

Am I able to retarget the mana drain to the commandeer, and if so, how and why does that work exactly?

you can do that

Commandeer will resolve, doing its thing
then Mana Drain tries to resolve but will be countered because its target is no longer legal

then Jace, the Mind Sculptor will resolve
proud member of the 2011 community team
Am I able to retarget the mana drain to the commandeer, and if so, how and why does that work exactly?

Yes.

During the resolution of commandeer, you gain control of mana drain, and then you get to choose a new target. Since commandeer is still resolving, it is on the stack and is a legal target for mana drain, so you can change the target. Next, commandeer finishes resolving and is put into your graveyard. Later, when mana drain attempts to resolve, it will be countered because its target (comandeer) no longer exists.

Yes.

During the resolution of commandeer, you gain control of mana drain, and then you get to choose a new target. Since commandeer is still resolving, it is on the stack and is a legal target for mana drain, so you can change the target. Next, commandeer finishes resolving and is put into your graveyard. Later, when mana drain attempts to resolve, it will be countered because its target (comandeer) no longer exists.

Thank you, that clarifies it for me.