Kazuul the Cruel

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs is the obvious inspiration for this deck. His ability works quite well with forced attacks. Rage Nimbus is good at forcing attacks and blocks like a champ to boot, being a 5/3 flier. Bloodmark Mentor gives your red creatures first strike, including the Rage Nimbus, Kazuul, and his slowly growing army of ogres, allowing them to more effectively take out any attacking creatures if desired. Sleeper Agent ensures the opponent has a creature to attack with, though an opponent without any blocking creatures will quickly fall to your 5/4 Kazuul. Furthermore, Sleeper Agent deals 2 damage to its controller at the beginning of their upkeep, which when combined with Lust for War or Nettling Curse can cost them 5 life a turn.

Lust for War is the most straightforward "force creatures to attack" card in the deck. The 3 damage it inflicts each turn on the enchanted creature's controller will quickly add up. Nettling Curse is slightly less effective but at the same time more versatile. Hissing Miasma further punishes attacking players by draining them 1 life for each attacking creature. Contaminated Ground adds a little bit of potential mana screw and bleeds the opponent bit by bit. War's Toll exacerbates the impact of your other cards. Dimir Machinations provides tutoring for your 3 drops, which play a large role in this deck.

I really like this deck. especially if you get the Contaminated Ground early on since they will most likely need whatever land you have enchanted.

I also really like the fact that your red creatures all have first strike.  Especially if you're up against a token deck. "Oh you're going to swing with 10 tokens? Well either you pay 30 or I get ten of my own and they are 3/3's with first strike."

I'm not actually sure I would change this deck. At least I can't really think of anything to make it better off the top of my head. Good job! 
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.
Fumiko the Lowblood sounds like a perfect fit for this deck.  Circle of Flame might be cool too.

I know it's off color but I can't help mentioning that Basandra, Battle Seraph would also be great.

Forbidden Orchard, and Hunted Dragon also sound good for this deck and work similarly to Sleeper Agent (minus the damage of course)
@ZobontheFocused: Thank you.

Fumiko the Lowblood sounds like a perfect fit for this deck.  Circle of Flame might be cool too.

I know it's off color but I can't help mentioning that Basandra, Battle Seraph would also be great.

Forbidden Orchard, and Hunted Dragon also sound good for this deck and work similarly to Sleeper Agent (minus the damage of course)

Hmm, the creature base is begging for a 4-drop to complete the curve. I considered Circle of Flame, but decided against it as it posed too much threat of removing the creatures that are supposed to be attacking you. I might add it in though now that I think about it. Basandra conflicts with Kazuul in cost, so I'd rather not include her. I also considered Hunted Dragon, but like with Basandra, the curve doesn't want any other 5-drops. Forbidden Orchard sounds like a good idea, that's even better than Sleeper Agent.

here's a version I threw together.  Maybe you'll get some ideas:

I went Naya instead of Rakdos just to be different, and also for Beast Within which I think is pretty amazing with this idea.  I notice the deck suffers from a lot of redundancy.  Like if you have Fumiko out suddenly your Rage Nimbus or War's toll are kind of useless.  Maybe I'll find room for Faithless Looting so I can at least cycle the useless cards into other cards.
Sign In to post comments