Cleric perspective feedback

Finally i got to test the DDN. my group consists of only 3 of us at the moment-1 friend who is player only,friend who is primary GM and me ( secondary GM and player). This is written from my perspective as a player. We started with lv 1 characters.

Characters:
Human shapeshifting druid
Elf wizard
Dwarf Cleric of Warbringer-my character

First of, I have really good stats:
Str:16
Dex:13
Con:15
Int:10
Wis:18
Cha:13

So,lets start. We begun separetd,but both of us had same path. One encounter vs 3 cr1 critters and one vs 2 cr1 critters. And while druid swept trough the first encounter with his thunder wawe and bear form, my lance of faith was slightly weak.
1d8 damage isn't that much but it's ok (old 2d6 is still better). I managed to drop two when third droped me to -4 (and i have AC 17). Second encounter went slightly better. Inflict is nasty spell. Even with save,2d8 is sweet. Rest was all role play.

I must say that combat is nice,smooth and fast. It goes very well. Skill and saves are very good,versatile and fun and it's very easy to switch from pathfinder to next.

As we leveld I found out that leveling charater is finally fast. No more skill or saves calculations. Raise hp,write new spell and we are ready to go.

And now we come to the part where my disapointment comes. We were scanning trough the spell list and I found out that cleric has only 1 offensive lv 1 and lv 2 spell and 1 cantrip. While standard 3.5/pathfinder cleric doesn't have more offensive spells,he has more spells per day,domain powers that can be nasty and more staying power with ability to replace prepared spells with cure and his channel energy. This cleric once he spends his 2 spells he is preatty much fighter.

To me it looks like this cleric is not as powerful as the 3.5/pathfinder one.  But we are going to play more so i will see how it goes. This is only first impresion after all.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Finally i got to test the DDN. my group consists of only 3 of us at the moment-1 friend who is player only,friend who is primary GM and me ( secondary GM and player). This is written from my perspective as a player. We started with lv 1 characters.

Characters:
Human shapeshifting druid
Elf wizard
Dwarf Cleric of Warbringer-my character

First of, I have really good stats:
Str:16
Dex:13
Con:15
Int:10
Wis:18
Cha:13

So,lets start. We begun separetd,but both of us had same path. One encounter vs 3 cr1 critters and one vs 2 cr1 critters. And while druid swept trough the first encounter with his thunder wawe and bear form, my lance of faith was slightly weak.
1d8 damage isn't that much but it's ok (old 2d6 is still better). I managed to drop two when third droped me to -4 (and i have AC 17). Second encounter went slightly better. Inflict is nasty spell. Even with save,2d8 is sweet. Rest was all role play.

I must say that combat is nice,smooth and fast. It goes very well. Skill and saves are very good,versatile and fun and it's very easy to switch from pathfinder to next.

As we leveld I found out that leveling charater is finally fast. No more skill or saves calculations. Raise hp,write new spell and we are ready to go.

And now we come to the part where my disapointment comes. We were scanning trough the spell list and I found out that cleric has only 1 offensive lv 1 and lv 2 spell and 1 cantrip. While standard 3.5/pathfinder cleric doesn't have more offensive spells,he has more spells per day,domain powers that can be nasty and more staying power with ability to replace prepared spells with cure and his channel energy. This cleric once he spends his 2 spells he is preatty much fighter.

To me it looks like this cleric is not as powerful as the 3.5/pathfinder one.  But we are going to play more so i will see how it goes. This is only first impresion after all.

Nice report.  

One thing that makes D&DNext feel different from Pathfinder is that, even as a cleric, you get +1 weapon attack bonus plus your strength bonus for +4 to hit.   A +4 to hit in D&DNext (at low levels especially) will hit more monsters at this point than an equivilent +4 in Pathfinder because many creatures in D&DNext have AC of 14 or less.   In Pathfinder, even kobolds and other smaller dexterous creatures may have AC 15 or 16.   When we played the two games side by side, many of the players remarked how we were missing attacks more frequently when playing Pathfinder.  We actually had one encounter in Pathfinder where it took 5 rounds or 6 rounds for 4 1st level PCs to kill 4 Kobolds.   That will not happen in D&DNext.   

Also, since PCs get to use HD to heal outside of combat in D&DNext, the cleric is less likely to become a "heal-bot."   This is especially the case as PCs get higher in levels.   In Pathfinder, the Cleric has to use his Channel Divinity burst to heal the group in between encounters, and sometimes in combat too.   

Personally, I like the feel of the D&DNext cleric better than the Pathfinder one.       

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

Thank you for your reply. We were fighting custom monsters with AC 16 (i curse at my dm). I actually never played healing cleric. For me,channel positive energy is offensive spell for undead and that is why i took it here ( it can cure also,but that is just bonus). Like I said,i miss only more offensive powers i got from domains in pathfinder,but this one is mean melee machine. I like the new cleric. It's very interesting.

All I can say is that spells like divine power (lvl4, +4atk/dmg, swift) are INSANE in ddn. In the bestiary I think the highest AC I saw was 20.

The lack of monster scaling (other than damage/HP really) makes buffing spells very potent. That's where I think the new cleric will excell. You can still make a laser cleric but I think melee is very strong right now (spiked shields say hi) and with good AC a cleric can wade into the middle of a fight very well.

I have no idea where your spell counts come from:
1st level: Cause Fear, Command and Inflict Wounds (Cure Wounds vs Undead) are all direct offensive spells.  Divine Favor (and Bless) are indirect offensive spells.
2nd level:  Hold Person and Spiritual Weapon (and Inflict Wounds) are direct offensive spells.

Because of the way Saves work in Next, this Cleric blows the 3e cleric (of CoDzilla fame!) out of the water, power-wise, especially the Arcanist. 
I'm comparing it directly with my pathfinder cleric with fire domain. And we are using spell compendium with some sweet sweet spells for cleric. And yes,when i say offensive i mostly mean damage dealing,thus probably confusion. I agree,there are some nice spells and hope they will soon add my favourite cleric spell-righteus might.

Sign In to post comments