The "Rules"

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a group of friends in last years game wherein we played "rules" in 2hg.
This year since double decking is no longer allowed we've moved the rules to 3 and 4ffa.
Join us on Thursday nights for the Throw Down or hit me up about anytime. Last night Matsumoto, two of his friends and I ran rules for 3 or 4 hours and I must say it makes what can be a slightly, toward the game burn out period boring play much more fun.
It definitely adds more lively play value to the game.

Everyone starts anew. Whoever wins the first match makes a rule that all must follow and repeat.
Nothing stupid like "you can't attack me" or you can't play a certain card.
Here are a few that have been used. Feel free to add others you come up with.

1. Basic. Attack to the right, defend to the left. Burn has the either be global or directed to the right. All other spells can be used ffa.

2. sixty4half came up with this one the other night. Everyone plays DP, mill to the right. Attacks can go anywhere unless your equiped with a sword. Then you must attack to the right.

3. Matsumoto came up with this one last night. You may not attack until you have fifteen or more creatures (tokens count) on the battlefield. Goblins almost won that game as he was the only one attacking until I got my second Jade Mage and it wasn't destroyed like the other. Intangible Virtue, Parallel Lives and Beastmaster Ascension pulled out the game. Hero of Bladehold was a dead card with that rule.

4. You must try everyone playing MM.

They can be as simple as Everyone plays with blue in thier deck, to horrible fun as in last years 2hg Everyone play Wielding Steel, mulligan to 1.

I've left out a bunch but you can see where I'm getting at. Try it for yourself and feel free to post your rules. We'll try out some next Thursday night for sure.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

I always enjoy FFA with rules.  Usually use the first rule but the others sound fun and quirky as well. ;P

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

...last years 2hg Everyone play Wielding Steel, mulligan to 1.

That sounds like so much fun. Perhaps you could do the same in FFA with Peacekeepers or Goblin Gangland.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

GG mulligan sounds fun.
Should be plenty of awesome top decking if the card you have left is a Mountain.
Will give it a shot Thursday night.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

GG mulligan sounds fun. Should be plenty of awesome top decking if the card you have left is a Mountain. Will give it a shot Thursday night.

Good.  Maybe once we do it, you'll shut up about it.  I swear guys, wuster brings this game up EVERY thursday. 

"Hey guys, this reminds me of this awesome game I played in DotP2012.  The rule was; we all play Wielding Steel and mulligan to one!  It was awesome"   me, "Yeah wuster, we know."  Every week.  It's like a running joke now.  Except the punch line is that he needs to win a game in order to impliment this rule.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Sixty, did I tell you about this one time in last years game...

Show

Sixty, did I tell you about this one time in last years game...

;-}

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Bring this to Steam and I'm down!

You gotta form a steam group for this.  Drum up some interest and I'm sure you'll find 4-8 people willing to meet.  It's a lot of fun and well worth the effort.

You're a lose cannon.

You gotta form a steam group for this.  Drum up some interest and I'm sure you'll find 4-8 people willing to meet.  It's a lot of fun and well worth the effort.

I'm in if it happens.

Let me get my Steam up and running and we can get one going on a different night.
WNT doesn't have the ring of TNT but it can do. Actually I would prefer a weekend night.
I'm always dragging Friday morning.

Show

Let me get my Steam up and running and we can get one going on a different night. WNT doesn't have the ring of TNT but it can do. Actually I would prefer a weekend night. I'm always dragging Friday morning.

That's because you're married.  Those of us that aren't would prefer to not be playing games on weekend nights.  /wink /wink /nudge /nudge

It doesn't always work out that way, but that's how we prefer it.

You're a lose cannon.

That's what I figured. I used to be quite the weekend night owl myself being a musician.

Show

I'd be down for some Steam rules FFA if someone wants to set it up.  Same here devil, i played bass guitar for 10+ years.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Ah....ye olde bass guitar. The guy that does the same job as the drummer, only nobody can hear him, and he doesn't need to be nearly as talented.

Haha...just messing...I love the bass (even if what I said is kinda true). That instrument can really shine in the right hands. 
ie: Geddy Lee, Les Claypool, Jack Bruce, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clark.....

Show

Robert Trujillo....Infectious Grooves is the shizzle for rizzle.
I saw Les Claypool with Primus on their New Year's Eve bash in San Francisco this past New Years.  They freakin rocked!

ie: Geddy Lee, Les Claypool, Jack Bruce, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clark.....

Flea

And my personal favorite bass player; Victor Wooten. 

And Kanger, he may not HAVE to be as talented as the drummer, but when you have a bass player that is really talented, it's all the more obvious.  Look at red hot chili peppers.  More people know they bass player than their guitar player.  Musicians and Peppers fans know the RHCP guitarist, but for the every day casual listener, they're more likely to know Flea than anyone else.

You're a lose cannon.

How could I forget Flea and Victor.
Didn't know you liked Bela Fleck. Or do you just like Victor.
I think Fleas best work was with The Mars Volta btwimho

Show

How could I forget Flea and Victor. Didn't know you liked Bela Fleck. Or do you just like Victor. I think Fleas best work was with The Mars Volta btwimho

I was introduced to Victor thru A Show of Hands by my Jazz Band Director in High School.  Then he showed us a video of him doing a concert, it was rediculous to see this guy with a bass on a table like a keyboard, using both hands to just tap the strings to play the melody and harmony all on one bass guitar at lightning speed.  I was floored.  I've listened to some Flecktones, but I don't own an album, they're good.

You should look up a battle that he did with Regi Wooten, his brother.  Regi plays the guitar, and plays it amazingly, but on that day the bass won the contest.

You're a lose cannon.

I don't brag about my haydays but back in the early 2000's I sat in on a jam session with Vince Herman (Leftover Salmon), Michael Kang (String Cheese Incident), Terry Vandewalker (The Big Wu) and Victor at a local festival.
God I miss my wild days sometimes. I'll dig around and see if I can find some photos.

Show

Hehe, ya, Flea and Wooten are amazing bass players as well.  I've seen Wooten live before.  RHCPs rock too, one of my favorites.

I'm in if it happens.

Let's make it happen then! I can set up the Steam group, but I would rather not be in charge of arranging everything, as I have a lot on my plate these days. However, I would definitely like to be a part of these events.
Stanley Clark.....

I love Stanley Clark. Seeing that I'm a huge Chick Corea fan, I've gotten to hear a lot of Clark's work on the Return to Forever albums.

The only set up it takes is creating a thread and whoever wants to play that week posts.
After that all you need to do is open a lobby.
The only requirment is that everyone be able to communicate with each other for the setting of the next matches rule.

Show

Only bitch is that I'll have to move pc to the mancave that night for smoking and drinking. I believe both sixty and I were slurring at the end of the night. :-)

Show

I'd like to join...but how?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Just tell me when and I will more than likely be there.

I'm on my way home from work. When I get home I'll create a thread.

Show