Playtest Feedback: Carrying Capacity

SHORT VERSION=================================================
These are the equations I used for weight capacities (not satisfied with the ludicrous ones in the pack)

---STR x CON = Maximum Lift / Load

---½ Maximum Lift/Load = Light Load

---Maximum Lift/Load x5 = Shove/Heave

LONG VERSION ==========================================================================================================
      One thing that bothered me, and two of my players agreed was kind of striking, is how strong a STR 10 person apparently is. According to the pack I have, a STR 10 person can lift 500lbs off the ground. Even halving that for over-head, that is an average joe lifting 250lbs over their head. Most athletes don’t make it past 260, and even with the heartier lives of medieval peoples, one assumes that if they were ‘hearty men of the land,’ or whatever, they’d be str 12; maybe even 14 if they were the big tough lumberjack kind.

Point is STR 10 = average joe, and the average man cannot get 500lbs off of the ground, let alone over their heads. And lugging around 100lbs as a ‘light load,’ to use the a phrase; is equally improbable. We’re talking about a world where children would be moving as much weight as a grown athlete.

If the average adult male can lift ~ 120lbs, and a strength-based athlete can do around 250, then my math dictates that their STR value should be multiplied by 14 to get their Heavy Lift/Load. For the amount that they can carry around as their Light Load (as I prefer to call it), ½ their Heavy Lift/Load value. Then, for pushing and dragging, as both actions are considerably easier than actually lifting something, quadruple (or maybe even quintuple) the amount.

The only problem there was that you had the mid-range working out fine, but then the higher Scores were just beginning to break the notions of a ‘strong man.’ In order to get proper results the modifier would have to increase at a rate as well; and in figuring that rate I started, stopped, realized how much math that was going to be, and then had one idea before I gave up: Multiply STR x CON to get Maximum Load. From there, ½ their Max Load = their Light Load, and x5 their Max Load = their Push/Drag.

I agree on some points, and disagree on others.

first, keep in mind that the "average human" in medieval times walked everywhere, carried pails of water all day, etc. They didn't sit around like we do. The average D&D human should be much stronger than the average modern human.  Carrying 100 pounds--on your back, maybe with some things strapped to your legs, etc--is certainly possible. 

the upper limit should probably 2x strength.
Those are metric pounds, though. Or possibly nautical pounds. Does it make any more sense, then? They aren't "real" pounds, obviously, or else most of those weapons wouldn't weigh anywhere near what they're listed as.

The metagame is not the game.

Well yes the metrics for the weights of nearly everything were always....left in the dark corner. Ough the Longsword weights 4lbs....jesus the "Long"sword the two-hander version weighted that....not the longsword of dnd (aka armingsword one-handed). 

The formula seems to work...I'll test it that way....Žydrūnas_Savicka... (the strongest man in the world) 

-Record over head : 480 lbs
-Lift : 480x2 := 960 lbs (it's close...he does 1060lbs but he is prepared for it...not adventuring)

- So Maximum Load := 960 lbs/5 = 192 lbs

And assuming he is the strongest human in the campaing by human standards Str 18. He gets a hardly close Con 11. Well for me it works. Because given that by D&D core rules every Con 11 human can dive underwater for 1 minute (lol) . Savickas becomes a super human standard. But for the part of hit points....well here things become obscure!!

Maybe it's also a time someone talks about HP also (why only CON modifier in hp ?) If hp measures toughness against punishments....and body mass comes into part to this then STR should give hp much more than Con, which measures the creatures physical well being (resistant to hazards, running, breath, stamina). I guess...big discussion.

Any way nice formula...if i worked it right. I'll playtest it!
Sign In to post comments