Questions About a Weird Resist Type & Combination...

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I've been pretty inspired by the "Impilturan Demon-Slayer" Paragon Path to create a character who is optiminally designed to fight against Demons. As such, I've been looking around at a lot of different items to help him better conquer these evil legions.

Now, I know normally that when two items have "Resist X" attached to it, those effects do NOT stack, you simply take the Highest Resistance Value. However, the interaction between these two items has me wondering how they would work alongside each other.

1. Demonbane Weapon (Adventurer's Vault, Mordenkaiden's Magnificent Emporium)
This Weapon Enchantment gives you Resistance Against "Demons" equal to the weapons enhancement value, so we'll assume it's +6 for this example.

2. Chaos Cloak (Adventurer's Vault 2)
This Neck Item provides you with +15 (at Max Level) resistance against Damage from "Elemental" Creatures.

I think you all see where I might be going with this, now.

Although Demons count as BOTH Elemental Creatures with the Demon Keyword, "Resist 6 Demons" and "Resist 15 Elemental Creatures" are NOT the same type of Resistance Type. They both affect the damage of the Demon in question, but since they are not identical Resistance Types, would they or would they not stack?

Thank you guys in advance for assistance on this matter.

I don't think the rules address this specifically.  Even though "demon" and "elemental" are keywords, they're NOT damage type keywords but I still might treat this as a combined damage type because these magic items are written as if "demon" and "elemental" are damage type keywords.  The demon would be dealing "demon and elemental" damage, and in that case only the weakest resistance applies - Resist 6 Demon.

But on the other hand, this creates a situation where if you ditched the Resist 6 item, you'd end up getting more resist because you'd have resist 15.  And that doesn't make sense.  So maybe the combined damage type thing doesn't apply because what type of damage the demon is doing should have nothing to do with what magic items you happen to be wearing at the time.  If you have an item that gives you resist X against a creature with a particular keyword, and the creature has more than one keyword, you don't have to resist all the keywords to get any resistance.  So the combined damage type idea doesn't really work.

I don't think resistance stacking against keywords that are not damage types is covered by the rules at all.  Personally, I'd be inclined to say only the highest resistance type applies when you have multiple resistances that could apply against one instance of damage.

And ... fire away, rules lawyers.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Well...they don't stack because Resistances don't add together (unless specifically indicated).

If you're asking which one would apply in your example (the higher value or the lower value), I would say the higher value would apply. 
If you try to consider the damage "type" from demon's attacks as being "Demon and Elemental" than you would need to have both items to get any benefit, and an item that grants only Resist "demon" would be useless against all demons  ( You must resist both types of a combined damage type, while if you have vulnerability to either you take extra)

However, that's not how it works anyway.

The property of the Demonbane weapon reads:
You regain resist equal to the enhancement bonus of the weapon to damage dealt by demons.

The property of the Chaos Cloak is
You gain resist 10 to all damage from elemental creatures.
    Level 24 or 29: Resist 15 to all damage (implied "from elemental creatures" here is not stated, but obvious)

So if you have a Demonbane weapon you will get anywhere from Resist 2 to Resist 6 against all attacks by creatures with the demon subtype
  If you have a Chaos Cloak you will get Resist 10 or 15 to all damage from Elemental Creatures, which includes all demons I am aware of, as well as several hundred non-demons

So once you get the Cloak, you'll just get Resist 10 or 15 against all attacks from all demons and other elementals, and ignore the property of the weapon.
  If you have another item or effect that grants a higher resistance to a particular demon's attack (say you have Resist 20 Fire and get hit by an attack from a demon that is just Fire), then you apply that higher resistance.
"Resist 6 Demons" and "Resist 15 Elemental Creatures" are NOT the same type of Resistance Type. They both affect the damage of the Demon in question, but since they are not identical Resistance Types, would they or would they not stack? 

Since they are not same damage type, the rule that say Resistance against the same damage type are not cumulative won't apply. 

These irregular non-damage type Resistance/Vulnerabiltiies are not subject tho this limitation since they don't have a damage type.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

These irregular non-damage type Resistance/Vulnerabiltiies are not subject to any resistance/vulnerability rule since they don't have a damage type.

These things are outside all of the existing rules on resistance/vulnerability.  The only way I've been able to resolve the issue in a self-consistent manner is to make it so that the question of whether a resistance applies is done on the side of the attack, rather than on the side of the resistance.  An example of what I mean is the following:

A dragon breath deals fire and radiant damage.  You have resist 5 dragon breath, resist 5 radiant, resist 5 cold, resist 10 fire.  Resolving the attack goes as follows:

You have resist 5 dragon breath.  Is this a dragon breath?  Yes, resist 5.
You have resist 5 radiant.  Is this radiant?  Yes, resist 5.
You have resist 5 cold.  Is this cold?  No, resist does not apply.
You have resist 10 fire.  Is this fire?  Yes, resist 10.
You're out of resistances.  Are there any other damage types in the attack?  No.

You then run the standard resistance stacking rules.  Due to the combined damage type the resist 10 fire is ignored and the resist 5 radiant stands, which doesn't stack with the resist dragon breath.

Another way of thinking about this is that these "resist exotic" effects are really shorthand for "resist all damage with another limitation."  This construction appears in several other effects, that have things like "you have resist 5 all against melee and ranged attacks" as their effect.  They could have said "you have resist 5 melee and resist 5 ranged" to look like the things in the OP, but they wouldn't function any differently.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition