New Format

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
You should release a format that include all of the cards in Modern with the exception of mythic rare cards.

The absurd power of mythic rare cards (some of which may win the game by themselves) broke the art of deck-making in the seek for synergy and the balance of playing the game.

By the latter I mean, before, a good player/deck-maker with not-so-good cads could work a deck that beats a bad player. But this no longer happens if the bad player has a bunch of mythic rares.

I'm just a MTG player that wanted to get this out and see if I'm the only one that feels this way.

You are the only one that feels this way because most mythic rares are garbage. 

yeah... right 

yeah... right 

Look at this list and figure out the percentage that are played in modern. 

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Defaul...[M] 
Not counting cards that were only mythic in FTVs or Duel Decks, I counted about 15 mythics that see Modern play.
Sure. Like none of the winning decks use mythic rares.

I don't get why you insist? you're missing the point... if they were useless garbage, they certainly wouldn't be mythic rares. 

I don't get why you insist? you're missing the point... if they were useless garbage, they certainly wouldn't be mythic rares. 

Yeah, those darn Tarmogoyfs, Thoughtsiezes, and Dark Confidants aren't the reason why the format is expensive. Or those cheapo Zendikar fetch lands. 

Yeah, those darn Tarmogoyfs, Thoughtsiezes, and Dark Confidants aren't the reason why the format is expensive. Or those cheapo Zendikar fetch lands. 

Those are the main problem, but since they are only rares yet, I don't have a valid argument against those cards that could be mediated by Wizards! They don't stipulate the price for the individual cards!

Man! you guys and your absurd arguments!

Still diverging from the point! Which it was the absurd power of most of mythic rares. These ones have pretty abusurd effects in combination, hence the usage and the price but again, what could be argued against it?

I shouldn't keep explaining myself. I don't understand what is your desire of screwing with this post if even with this last, you're kind of agreeing with me in the sense that if the format is focused around a reduced set of cards, then is broken in some sense.

I'm at least offering a solution by proposing a format that excludes this kind of cards, so to extend the capability of competition.

What is your point? 
Uh... I'm not agreeing with you at all because what you're saying is completely wrong. Mythics are no stronger than rares. Actually go look at some deck lists and see what cards are played in the format. Also, being a mythic rare doesn't make you more expensive then other cards. It's based on supply and demand. 

Basically, everything you're saying is completely wrong and your thoughts have no basis in reality.  
Uh... I'm not agreeing with you at all because what you're saying is completely wrong. Mythics are no stronger than rares. Actually go look at some deck lists and see what cards are played in the format. Also, being a mythic rare doesn't make you more expensive then other cards. It's based on supply and demand. 

Basically, everything you're saying is completely wrong and your thoughts have no basis in reality.  

Ok.. you're not agreeing with me.. the metagame is completely fine.. And nothing should/could be done. No one plays mythic because the more powerful cards are rares.

And I know that being a mythic rare doesn't make you more expensive. I just said it.

Thanks for your contribution.

Ok.. you're not agreeing with me.. the metagame is completely fine.. And nothing should/could be done. No one plays mythic because the more powerful cards are rares.

And I know that being a mythic rare doesn't make you more expensive. I just said it.

Thanks for your contribution.

The modern ban list has a single mythic rare on it because of it's power level. Power level is the reason why the other cards are on the list as well, not it's rarity. 

It's fine that you know nothing about modern but don't pretend like your proposition is a real thing.  

You've only said "mythics are too stronk" with no proof. Bring proof that they are better and people might listen to you. 
It's not about a proof. it's about an argument. Power level of any other rarity is relative (and also need combination of other cards). Power level of mythic rares are a fact, that's the reason why they're mythic.

This all began about a propositon about a format without mythics, (certainly a format without rares is out of question). And the you began to question over and over... If you're not in favor of a format without mythics, ok that's your opinion. Why so insistent in turn down mine?. You don't finish realizing that is not the point of this thread. What are you even trying to state? that those rares are the ones that should be removed?

I don't know why I'm still answering you... Clearly you know too much Modern in contrast with me.

I agree for the most part, with Shadow.  There are very few mythics that get played in Modern.  I get the feeling that most people envision that mythic is a "funzies" rarity that comes off as flavour instead of effect.  No matter the effect, the casting costs make the majority of them out of the reach of efficient.
I agree for the most part, with Shadow.  There are very few mythics that get played in Modern.  I get the feeling that most people envision that mythic is a "funzies" rarity that comes off as flavour instead of effect.  No matter the effect, the casting costs make the majority of them out of the reach of efficient.

Ok. at least you don't jump right at me.

Your point then translate to it's not worth to make a format without mythics.

I would like to think they're not used enogh because there're these pricy rares that are overused. If there weren't these, they probably turn more to mythics.

I don't like the format being focused too much around a set of pricy cards. It take away the escense of the game. 
Tournament Magic is about playing the best cards and winning. When you have this you create high demand for cards which increases the value. If you don't want to pay a lot of money to play Magic don't play competitive Magic. It's really that easy. 

Also, I told you that you're wrong because you're wrong. Getting defensive about being wrong reflects more on you than me.

When you say things like "essence of the game" you're not going to be taken seriously. People play Magic for a myriad of reasons and your ideals of what the game should be should not be project on other people. You don't have the right to tell people the right way to have fun. If you think tournament Magic is flawed, that fine, but don't make assumptions about things you don't really understand.  
The prices are a side effect of the cards efficiency.  Good cards cost more, because of the use and demand for competitiveness of players.

In any competitive format this will be the case in a game as popular as M:TG. 

The point is, regardless of the fake rarity of mythics (which irritates me because I played LONG before there rarity colours and at the same time the first set symbols came out), only good cards get played because they're good.

Like, for example, Mana Drain, Karakas and Library of Alexandria are TECHNICALLY all uncommon in their original printings.  They are bonkers cards that are recognized regardless of rarity.     
Tournament Magic is about playing the best cards and winning.

I never said this wasn't like this. I just tried to express that this takes away the accesibility and creativity, and that winning with the best cards doesn't make you the best player. You don't get you don't need to keep arguing about this as if I would have said the contrary.

When you have this you create high demand for cards which increases the value. If you don't want to pay a lot of money to play Magic don't play competitive Magic. It's really that easy.

I already told you I know how the prices go up. Don't know why you keep repeating yourself.

Also, I told you that you're wrong because you're wrong.

because you are almighty and nothing is relative.

Getting defensive about being wrong reflects more on you than me.

Is not, It's just I don't get what you fight about and there's nothing left but a sarcastic answer.

When you say things like "essence of the game" you're not going to be taken seriously. People play Magic for a myriad of reasons and your ideals of what the game should be should not be project on other people. You don't have the right to tell people the right way to have fun.

True. That's why I explained in my very first post what I meant by "the essence" and that is was only my opinion. Because this is a forum, you know. :S

If you think tournament Magic is flawed, that fine, but don't make assumptions about things you don't really understand.

I don't think this. You were the one who said "those darn" rares... I think there are plenty of room for all tastes, that's why there are formats. I just suggested another one, which you taked very personally. :S
The prices are a side effect of the cards efficiency.  Good cards cost more, because of the use and demand for competitiveness of players.

In any competitive format this will be the case in a game as popular as M:TG. 

The point is, regardless of the fake rarity of mythics (which irritates me because I played LONG before there rarity colours and at the same time the first set symbols came out), only good cards get played because they're good.

Like, for example, Mana Drain, Karakas and Library of Alexandria are TECHNICALLY all uncommon in their original printings.  They are bonkers cards that are recognized regardless of rarity.     

Exactly! Cards like these that could be considered broken (not to state they are) could be upgraded to a especial rarity, like mythic, and there could be a format that excludes them in order to make room for the taste of a group of players.

That was the point of the thread. 
You're posting in a competitive subforum, though.  You have to take in to account that posters are going to tell you, indirectly, that you are in the wrong forum. 
You're posting in a competitive subforum, though.  You have to take in to account that posters are going to tell you, indirectly, that you are in the wrong forum. 

Man. You're right. Maybe this doesn't go here. It could have been that I didn't realize a better place for the thread.
Don't be discouraged by it.

Could be an interesting discussion to get in to for a casual format?

Cheers either way.      
Don't be discouraged by it.

Could be an interesting discussion to get in to for a casual format?

Cheers either way.      

Exactly!

Thanks...

Cheers to you too... 
So, the card examples that intended to "refuse" my point are going to get reprinted in Modern Masters as mythic

That means, all this thread drops in favor of what I tried to suggest...

It would be interesting to see a Modern constructed format without mythic... which pushes player's creativity in sinergy instead of crowding of high power level cards.

Well, the cards that would be reprinted as mythics in MM would still be legal in your proposed format, at least assuming it operates under the same rules as pauper.

Please uninstall mtg. 
I hate dogs.
It's not about a proof. it's about an argument. Power level of any other rarity is relative (and also need combination of other cards). Power level of mythic rares are a fact, that's the reason why they're mythic.

This all began about a propositon about a format without mythics, (certainly a format without rares is out of question). And the you began to question over and over... If you're not in favor of a format without mythics, ok that's your opinion. Why so insistent in turn down mine?. You don't finish realizing that is not the point of this thread. What are you even trying to state? that those rares are the ones that should be removed?

I don't know why I'm still answering you... Clearly you know too much Modern in contrast with me.

My apologies for the double post, but this post was just too lulzy to pass up, and I hadn't read the entire thread before my previous post.

1:  Power level is not on a direct 1-to-1 correlation with rarity.  There are some mythics that are powerful, but there are some that are put in there just so casuals can say "AND I CAST MY DR4GON FOR 10 MANA!!!"

2:  So, basically, what you're saying is that you want wizards to officially endorse a format that nobody else wants to play for clearly stated reasons, and you're wondering why people might disagree with this?

I hate dogs.
So, the card examples that intended to "refuse" my point are going to get reprinted in Modern Masters as mythic

It would be interesting to see a Modern constructed format without mythic... which pushes player's creativity in sinergy instead of crowding of high power level cards.

Go play Pauper if you don't like mythic rares, but very few mythic rares see any play in Modern.  At the last big Modern event, the deck that got first place played one mythic rare in the main board (Voice of Resurgence) and one in the sideboard (Linvala, Keeper of Silence).  Neither of those even see much play in the format.  For comparison, it played three commons (Qasali Pridemage, Wall of Roots, and Viscera Seer, all of which actually see tons of Modern play).  It also ran 9 uncommons, which I won't even bother listing out.  It's just unreasonable to claim that mythics are corrupting the format.  Frankly, I look at the uncommons in a new set before anywhere else for Modern playable cards, because most good disruption/removal ends up there.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin

Go play Pauper if you don't like mythic rares, but very few mythic rares see any play in Modern.  At the last big Modern event, the deck that got first place played one mythic rare in the main board (Voice of Resurgence) and one in the sideboard (Linvala, Keeper of Silence).  Neither of those even see much play in the format.  For comparison, it played three commons (Qasali Pridemage, Wall of Roots, and Viscera Seer, all of which actually see tons of Modern play).  It also ran 9 uncommons, which I won't even bother listing out.  It's just unreasonable to claim that mythics are corrupting the format.  Frankly, I look at the uncommons in a new set before anywhere else for Modern playable cards, because most good disruption/removal ends up there.

I don't care what cards used the winning deck or what cards do you look for in a new set because I'm NOT claiming what you say I am. Modern is one format and mythic are one type of cards. period. Some people just seen to not understand english.

This is a free forum and I'm pointing out that to me it would be interesting to see a format with the sets in Modern without cards that have been printed mythic. Just like pauper was an idea once!

What's your problem? If you don't care about what I'm posting, simply don't reply.
This is a free forum

If you don't care about what I'm posting, simply don't reply.

?
Nothing at all, just passing by.