Corellon's Might for a Bow Ranger

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
So folks, I'm about to get a Corellon's Might boon (probably the level 3 one), and I'm running the LDB's Shoot to Thrill (currently 14th level).
Do you have any suggestion on what arcane at-wills would be more interesting?
My stats are:
11 str
11 con
23 dex
14 int
17 wis
9 cha

Thanks a lot, guys.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />
You don't have good stats for most arcane powers, but some of the Skald encounters have no-action, no roll powers that trigger when you hit with a basic.  Check out Lesser Ringing Weapon or Lesser Flash of Distraction from Heroes of the Feywild.   For at-wills, check out the the Binder options, like Hidden Lore which would give you invisibility power.
I also like Shadow Warp, or Soul Step from the Binder.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Storm Pillar if you have a way to slide enemies. Flame Arrow.
Storm Pillar if you have a way to slide enemies on their turns. Flame Arrow.

fyp

Flame Arrow.

There is absolutely no reason why any character would want to use Flame Arrow, it's outright terrible.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Y'know, you're absolutely right. I was forgetting the standard action usage, remembering it as a minor. Although with an AP and Twin Strike ... it's just bad and not terrible.
When you could otherwise Twin Strike AP Twin Strike? Yeah, it's terrible.
It seems then, that Hidden Lore is my best option for an at-will. I would've really liked some wizard cantrip but they ain't contributing anything to me.

Also, would Aegis of Assault be interesting to me? I'm using a shadowdancer armor, which means I'm not getting AoO from attacking with a bow at melee range.

As a suggestion, we could have a guide covering this particularly useful (although not to me, I can believe this as really powerful to casters...).

thanks for the help so far, folks!
AoO? Shadowdance armor doesn't provoke OAs in Melee.
Anyway, you don't have a working MBA, so AoA is not a good idea. Shadow Warp can be pretty nice if u got a sorcerer or any other PC, that relies on zone abuse in party or if one of your allies got Agile Opportunist. Sliding and teleporting can both be abused pretty nicely, depending on situation, but if you don't have any of the above in your party i'd rather stick with Soul Step, since you're Dex based anyway.

No one thought to mention Dominant Winds?
Because Rangers have such horrible problems with mobility? I much prefer the emergency defense that the Warlock boons offer over a little bit of extra mobility for the party. 
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
I think Dominant Winds in this instance would be to help an ally. 
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Well...you can move your melee buddy into position because you're ranged and need your move action a lot less...but you should really consider that as a primarily ranged character, the first thing to look for in a fight is an elevated vantage point from which you can shoot everything from with impunity. As a ranged ranger, you likely also might not have much athletics, so a fly 4-9 on demand actually is an appreciable mobility power.

Edit: And actually, I believe that absolutely any good striker needs a good mobility power in his powerset, particularly if its "move x distance" independent of your speed in order to bust being slowed.
Shadow Warp being strictly superior to Dominant Winds for the purpose of ally mobility.
I'm torn between hidden lore and dominant winds. Flying my dex even if 1/encounter would be awesome, but invisibility on killing someone is just sweet, since I play stealthy. Perhaps I'll just retrain it as the levels go according to my needs.

Now, What would I want if I got all the progressions on this boon, for arcane encounter powers, do you have recommendations off your head?
Dimensional Step (lv. 13 Bard). This is especially true if someone in your party is granting ranged basic attacks or you otherwise have ways of making ranged basic attacks off-turn.
I killed Aleena.
Spitting-cobra stance, for instance =D
Also, Seek Weakness and Greater Seek Weakness, if you don't already have a leader granting you a power bonus to damage. That's less dependent on off-turn attacks, though it does consume your minor action.
I killed Aleena.
Spitting-cobra stance, for instance =D

I'm not a huge fan of Spitting-cobra stance for that build. You've already got two encounter immediates (Combined Fire and Disruptive Strike), so by the time you're using your daily the fight should almost be over. It also eats your minor action if you try and burn it on the first turn, which you should be using for quarry and Snap Shot, respectively. Adaptive Assault at least gets you a double tap, so it's not a waste of your standard action, and maybe a daze, too.

Really, the level 1 and 5 ranger dailies for archers are pretty terrible. On the other hand, everything else makes up for it, so it's OK.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about self-generating basic attacks for Dimensional Step: a Backlash tatoo or a Ring of Fury both work for this purpose, and can help save your bacon by porting in a defender.
I killed Aleena.
My group doesn't have a controller, so I might help with that role. Besides, the DM loves to fill his encounters with minions. All-in-all, it's a way for me to put some cold vulnerabilities on lots of ppl.

By the way, I'm compiling here useful "free, minor, immediate, move" powers. Perhaps useful to all martial classes (since they don't involve rolls and are mostly utility stuff, such as moving, flying, bonus to attacks and/or defenses...