There's No Rushing a Clasic: My Card Refinery

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been looking through a lot of my old designs lately. There's one thing that's rather common amongst the hoard: I make a lot of bad cards. So, Im using this thread to explore old designs, figure out what went wrong, and figure out whether or not there's a fix. I might find some cards in the process that I just want to store away from the archive-monster's clutches, so those could end up here too. It'll probably just become a card storage facility. Anyway, feel free to comment. 
From Clasic Creations #102:

This was one of those cards whose concept I liked but got forced into an awkward place. The general idea has something nice about it: rewarding creatures that enter the battlefield in obscure ways. The excess has always bothered me, and I never liked the name associated with it.

Obscure Origins
Enchantment
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, if it was cast from a player's hand, tap it. Otherwise, it gains haste until end of turn.
No one knows to fear what they never saw coming.
I like that name

When a creature is cast; it enters play tapped,
When a creature enters play that was not cast;
 it has haste.

Unusual Entrance
oh well , I guess your opponents expect the lich to cast creatures from the grave
The comes into play tapped clause usualy goes to white or red
I like the idea a lot, even the name, but I feel it's too marginal. It needs to either punish normally casted creatures harder or reward non-normally casted creatures better, in my opinion.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Tottally unrelated note: Nice sig fenix. Cause MtG makes so little sense sometimes. Me and my friends used to play "story" Magic. You describe your actions as if it were a story and are descriptive. "And suddenly a giant druid leaps into the air and crushes your sphinx." (Despite the fact that it couldn't ordinarily block that sphinx.

As for the card; it seems fine to me. Ordinarily it just helps tokens, while punishing aggro; but that doesn't seem bad. Its kind of cheap, but helps/hinders everyone so... I do like the idea. 
I like the idea a lot, even the name, but I feel it's too marginal. It needs to either punish normally casted creatures harder or reward non-normally casted creatures better, in my opinion.

So... like the original?

So... like the original?

The original seems excessive, like you said, because it has 2 bonuses for each state. Something in between the original and the new card maybe? Just the counter bonuses?

The -1/-1 counter part seems very scary, but since tokens aren't affected by this it doesn't end up being an undercosted one-sided Curse of Death's Hold I think.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Sign In to post comments