Legacy of the Crystal Shard adventure

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
The 2nd sundering adventure "Legacy of the Crystal Shard" is due out in October. Can we assume then, that this will be about Crenshinibon? (ignore the actual link... I'm just hungry)
If they bring that gods-forsaken thing back again...

Going by names alone, this one doesn't leap out at me anymore than Murder in Baldur's Gate. Combine that with my waning interest in 5E, and I can't say I am anxiously awaiting the release of either one.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Can't say that I am anxiously awaiting anything for 5E either.  Instead of trying to make all previous editions play nice with each other, can't WOTC just negate 4E and just go back to 3.5? 
"As shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord for Thee. Power has descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. And we shall flow a river forth unto Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. Et nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti"
can't WOTC just negate 5e and just go back to 4e? 

I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
I meant what I typed...no fix needed.  forget 5E, negate 4E and go back to 3.5
"As shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord for Thee. Power has descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. And we shall flow a river forth unto Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. Et nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti"
4e sucks. But so does 3.5e.  As probably will 5e.  None of the sucked quite as bad as 1e and 2e though.  Screw all of them, abandon level-based systems entirely, just give us books of fluff, and we'll resolve the rest with rock-paper-scissors! 

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Wow. You guys went into edition warring pretty quickly... considering this was an edition agnostic post, about an edition agnostic adventure, in an edition agnostic forum. At least LordManpoon had the decency to first take an on-topic threadcrap ;)

4e sucks. But so does 3.5e.  As probably will 5e.  None of the sucked quite as bad as 1e and 2e though.

Thank you
There isn't really anything to discuss, considering we know nothing about this adventure, aside from that it ties into the Sundering, of which we know only the vaguest basics.

So yeah... Not sure what you expected people would have to say about it.

Here goes take two:

"I am not sure what to expect of this adventure, although I believe Crenshinibon will make an appearance. I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for further detail."

Actually, wait. I will try to brainstorm, and be productive.

I am trying to think of all the areas Crenshinibon impacted, and I'm drawing up Icewind Dale, Calimport, and Spirit Soaring. I think that the most likely setting will be Icewind Dale, and Calimport the least likely (besides Calimport being the least memorable of the three, Baldur's Gate should cover the "big city" game, so no need for redundant adventure themes). Drizzt could always make an appearance, but I doubt it, considering he has a novel that will give him something to do in the Sundering. If they stick with Icewind Dale, I could see the set-up involving the heroes needing to unite the folk of Ten Towns and maybe the barbarians in a concerted effort to fight the big baddies. If set around the Spirit Soaring, I could imagine the heroes need to restore the temple to its former glory to fend off something evil, probably restoring/assisting Cadderly.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
As I understand it the adventures will be "edition neutral" so the game system isnt even an issue, like 3.5 use that, like 2e better use that. 

Im anxious for the Baldur's Gate one, just for the fluff really, its about time Baldur's Gate got some focus, aside from the video games. Hopefully theres a big city map in there as well.  
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
If there's no Minsc and Boo, then I could care less about anything set in Baldur's Gate. 

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Im a sucker for maps, as long as they got a cool map in there i'll be gettin it. "The North" was one of my favorite box sets, mostly for that fold out map of Daggerford.
Yeah, but the NPCs were an absolute disaster in that boxed set... especially for Daggerford. They should have just commissioned an expanded Volo's Guide for all the copying and pasting they did from  it.

- Oscar Wilde

I've always wanted to run an adventure based on Crenshinibon, especially set in Elturgard where the permanently-shining second sun would provide it with a permanent power source!

That said, I'm not particularly looking forward to either of these adventures simply because WotC doesn't do adventures well. Also, I'm not interested in Next. 4E's good enough for me.
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
It looks like great news for Realms fans. The Realms brain trust is writing new material, fans get to influence events, the product pages now show a combo of adventure and setting material, and it has a fairly classic feel (more like the original FR than spellplague). Those seem like very solid developments!

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

in Elturgard where the permanently-shining second sun

Spoiler: not anymore in LFR.

WotC doesn't do adventures well.

Agreed. I got spoiled with LFR adventures. That said, I've been pretty happy with WotC's Lair Assaults and Encounters.

Also, I'm not interested in Next. 4E's good enough for me.

The adventure is edition neutral. It's marketed towards people like you.
@mvincent: I saw some posts - by one the authors, IIRC - suggesting that it will be published as a Next adventure rather than being edition neutral. Of course, this could be wrong because - as you point out - it was (at least originally) intended to be edition neutral.

And, yeah, I read the LFR adventure where the Companion went dark. I'm not surprised: it's something I've wanted to do since the Power of Faerun. (And I mean that in a good way: it's just a massive adventure/campaign hook sitting in the sky! )
Wow. You guys went into edition warring pretty quickly... considering this was an edition agnostic post, about an edition agnostic adventure, in an edition agnostic forum. At least LordManpoon had the decency to first take an on-topic threadcrap ;)

4e sucks. But so does 3.5e.  As probably will 5e.  None of the sucked quite as bad as 1e and 2e though.

Thank you

Manpoon?

Hehe... can you imagine a PC calling the First Lord of the Zhentarim by that name?

I am intrigued by the idea of Crenshinibon being the centrepiece of an adventure, and I really hope we get a good map of Baldur's Gate and the area - ideally including Elturgard.

So, ignore my earlier "WotC doesn't do adventures well"-comment (especially because it is true) and colour me intrigued by the possibilities of an adventure based around the Crystal Shard.

Manpoon?

Hehe... can you imagine a PC calling the First Lord of the Zhentarim by that name?

I can imagine them saying it right before they get the hide flayed off them, yeah.

And I've heard the same rumors that the edition neutral stance isn't set in stone. Only time will tell.

My Sig
I am Blue/Green
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
56790678 wrote:
56902498 wrote:
57062508 wrote:
56760448 wrote:
90571711 wrote:
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
158710691 wrote:
Ah, going with the simplified stuff instead of the imaginative tortures I see. 

- Oscar Wilde

I saw some posts - by one the authors, IIRC - suggesting that it will be published as a Next adventure rather than being edition neutral.

I've heard the same rumors that the edition neutral stance isn't set in stone.

Interesting. Thanks for the tip!

Just got Murder in Baldur's Gate. Minsc and Boo have a statue dedicated to them, so they are kind of in it. Overall the maps are awesome, rules are edition agnostic. The adventure feels like a episode of Game of Thrones. Plan to run it for my home game next Sunday.
Sign In to post comments