DLCR: Wrecking Ogre

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays final GTC card to rate is...

Wrecking Ogre

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This guy is a beatstick.  I've rarely ever played him as a creature.  I like to bloodrush him and win out of nowhere.

Discuss! 
This card still gives me nightmares.

We're at Yokohama GP I have a sick Orzhov deck and my opponent has an equally amazing Boros deck, we are both 4-0 trying to get to Day 2 and stay undeafeated. I win the first, he wins the second, it is a brilliant match, I'm winning the game and it looks like on the next turn I will remove his creature and go on to take the match, he attacks with all three of his creatures, I can block two of them and a 3 power creature will get through regardless. I am at 11 life and he has 1 card in hand....out of the woods right? WRONG bloodrush the Assault Griffin 6/5 double-strike see ya later Orzhov.

Still gives me chills!

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Heh. 3.5

Sliiiiiiiiightly less than a bomb. But it can't be mugged and just, well, wrecks house. I like how it's also some giant smashing through an Orzhov bank too.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

I think this one just makes it into bomb territory. 4.0 for me.
4. This can put the "turn five nail" in the coffin of so many games.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
3.5  Bloodrush onto Trample.
3.5  Bloodrush onto Trample.

Why bother? Bloodrush onto whatever's unblocked will usually do the trick at that late in the game. ^^

Mind you...7 mana on tap and Ghor Clan Rampager + This in your hand would be absolutely beautiful. 
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)
Someday I want to take someone from 20 to 0 with this onto ruination wurm
Possibly the best bloodrush creature out there: +6 (at minimum) Unexpected Damage will wreck most people's days, and the raw casting cost of the ogre is very modest.

I think the best part may be that the ogre is also totally playable and super-useful in Boros as well as Gruul.  Open up with Foundry Street Denizin, Daring Skyjek, and [/c]Skyknight Legionnaire[/c], or the less explosive Foundry Street-Bomber Corps-Skyjek.  Top of turn 5 rolls around and you've swung for about 8 damage, but they've got some defenses on the ground that can hold up against whatever nonsense you've been using to break through.  Swing out for a little extra damage?  Surprise, bloodrush onto the unblocked flying skyjek, take 12 for game.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Last night, one of the players in our draft pod drafted a simic ramp deck splashing red for this.  They ended up with
t2: Greenside Watcher
t3: Verdant Haven on gate
t4: Giant Adephage
t5: Bloodrush with ogre, attack for 20.  Make 2 7/7 tramplers if he blocks.

I mean, the ogre is slightly superfluous here, but it was still silly.  Very good card.