Things I Miss From Older Playtest Packets

While I am pretty pleased overall with the latest packet, there are some things from older packets that I miss and wish they'd bring back.

* Sorcerers and Warlocks: These were such cool classes and while they needed some work, I am disturbed by how they have yet to make a reappearance, even though they've released several other classes since. What happened? Was there some tremendous backlash against these classes in the surveys? Why?

* Skills that weren't tied to specific ability scores. 

* A lot of spells that were in previous packets have since been removed: Alarm, Grease, Ray of Enfeeblement, Arc Lightning, Ghoul Touch, Vampiric Touch, etc.

* Spells adding the character's magic ability modifier to damage.

* Implements adding bonuses to spell attack, damage and DCs. Wands and staffs no longer do this.

What do you miss from previous packets?
I miss some of the specialties from the first packet.  Necromancers were cool.
I miss racial weapon damage. The racial weapon proficiency can be useless depending on class combination.
An attempt to penalize range/magic users in melee. (Though that attempt was poor.)
I miss the Theme.  Specialties are too... specialized, and themes were more... thematic.

I doubt I will bother using Specialties if they keep them as they are and will just pick my feats.  I think that's too bad because I would actually pick a Theme, if it added interesting story to my character.  AND if the mechanic existed and I couldn't find one I liked, I'd use one that was close for inspiration and make up my own.

At this point I'll just pick feats.

That's about it, though. For the most part I really dig the new packet.  I'll have to play it for a bit before I start to find fault with it. 
I miss the skill system from the 11/13/12 packet, and the skill list before the latest packet, the concentration check for taking damage while concentrating on a spell, having any sort of penalty for casting or making ranged attacks while in melee, flurry of blows and step of the wind, rapid shot, and if I could even see the Warlock that was once in the playtest I might miss it too, but they won't let us download the old packets.
I miss some of the specialties from the first packet.  Necromancers were cool.

Yep.
The original spell disruption rule, no OA, attacking at disadvantage when using a ranged weapon in melee, the original HP generation method (at least an an option), basically, I miss the 1st packet.
The first packet wasn't that great, but it was a solid start and it had amazing potential. Aside from a few bright spots along the way (the Sorcerer for one, which was a cool idea, though not exactly a "Sorcerer"), I haven't cared much for the direction next has taken since that first packet. It just increasingly feels like what I want in an RPG is against the grain of whatever target demographic they're aiming for...
"Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant!"
A lot of the stuff you guys see disappear from the Playtest they might intend to keep. Remember they are always talking about the stuff in the packets are what they are wanting to test, everything is subject to change. If its gone, then you have three options:

1 - It wasn't polished enough.
2 - It was polished enough.
3 - It was dropped entirely.  
Call me crazy, but where is it written that certain skills must always be used with specific abilities?  I thought that was great, if seldom used since your certain skills will always be used or not used with certain abilities.  Is it actually written that Charisma, and not Intelligence would be used to make a forgery or a convincing disguise?* Skills that weren't tied to specific ability scores.

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

Latest Packet, in the DM guidelines, shows how each Task (not Skill) is related to each Ability Score. Since all Skills are being good at a specific Task, that means that your Skills are basically tied to an Ability Score. Not a fan.
Latest Packet, in the DM guidelines, shows how each Task (not Skill) is related to each Ability Score. Since all Skills are being good at a specific Task, that means that your Skills are basically tied to an Ability Score. Not a fan.

Agreed - I liked the more organic opportunity to tie different skills or actions to different ability scores when it made sense.  You really felt like a storyteller instead of a rules referencer.

With one big exception - the rules on search/spot and when to use int vs. wis verbiage was a bit on the long and confusing side, as much as they tried to explain the difference.  Heck, even they admitted in the rules it gets "blurry" sometimes, which is true.

Also liked how the differences between actions, skills, and tasks wasn't present in previous packets.  The language of the current packet is inconsistent across those three things, and some "skills" simply sound silly instead of natural - e.g. "breaking an object" is a skill?

LEONINE ROAR : Amp Up Your D&D Game : Visit my D&D blog :: FASTER COMBAT : Crush Your Combat Grind
I miss the descriptions of the monsters in the 1st Bestiary.  (I'm pretty sure they'll come back when everything is finalized though)

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

I'm still not seeing that I must use one ability score for one skill.  If you're doing something that relies on intelligence, like working with a complicated mechanism, that's intelligence, if it requires nimble fingers, that's dexterity.  Both refer to devices and locks.  A forgery requires Intelligence.  Selling a crappy forgery sounds like Charisma.  Intimidating someone with a fancy knife trick sounds like Dexterity to me.  Even the tasks published, swimming can be Strength to get through choppy waters, Constitution to Swim for a long time.

Search and Spot is still messed up.  You use intelligence to look for something something you know is there, you use wisdom to look for something you don't know is there.  Two skills for the same behavior is messed up.

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

Sign In to post comments