New Packet Report

Tonight was our first night with the new rules.  It was a mixed success, half the players didn't do their homework and failed to update their characters which is going to make this a short ass post.  As you can probably guess from the players not doing their homework, people are confused as hell about Skill Dice, Expertise Dice, Martial Dice, after this many packets my players are confused.  Maybe that's someone else's experience, for just me, it couldn't be simpler.

Eyeballing it has been really easy.  I found in 4th edition I have to do an extremely specfic balance.  For all the thousands of monsters, challenging the players was extremely difficult outside the homogeneous numbers.  Simple monsters and basic player abilities make building encounters easy and I can't wait for the guidelines for building monsters to be released.  XP values work for determining a budget, but I have no idea how those values are arrived at.

Detect Illusions reminds me of Detect Noise from the last packet and Detect Evil from 3rd Edition.  Basically, these abilities are suspense destroying radar.  Ha you have to tell me if there are invisible creatures!  Screw you Wizardc, use an action.

One guy has been using the same background since the first packet so aside from Skill Dice he hasn't actually looked at the skill list.  When he came to a locked door and asked about breaking it down, I asked if he had the Break an Object skill.  With a blank, dead stare he said, "That's a skill."  It wasn't really a question.  I'll just put this out here, when they can listen, sneak, bluff, and play the lute, not one player wants to spend one of their 4 skills on breaking ****.  It's narrow and its asking players to spend a resource, a skill, on doing something they've been able to do for free as long as they've played the game.

Much like 4th Edition Combat Advantage, getting advantage as a rogue now requires the player to maintain a body temperature in the upper 90s.  I think this is the best way to do it though.  The player has to think just enough.  I don't know what to say, the class needed a damage boost and rather than just giving it to them the current sneak attack at least pretends they have to work for it.

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

I think you are missing a large part about the skills, they are meant to suppliment your attribute check. You do not need the break object skill to break objects, it just makes you better at it. There are only a few skills that actually require investment to be able to use such as open locks, disarm traps, track and pickpocket. That being said, I'm not sure if I like break object as a skill, but it being a skill doesn't make you any worse at breaking down doors (assuming doors didn't suddenly become stronger since there is now a skill to break them).
Over all, say a character wanted to specialize in bashing in objects, or the characters back history gave it to him, such as a city guard, who might need to be good at breaking in doors in a moments notice. any skill can really find a home just depends on your players. its there for variety, if you want to bash in doors better then most people you'd pick up the skill for it. much like a rogue would pick up a skill for sneaking better then others. i can think of many situations where having this skill would come in handy. especcially for that head stronge warrior kicking in the door to lead on to the next action.
Thanks for the headsup re: players being confused about Martial? Expertise? Dice... We play with the latest rules next Saturday. I have been updating all of the the character sheets with each packet - we'll see how they deal with the changes.

Radajind I agree a character could be better than others at breaking down doors, etc, but i do think Break an Object is kind of a weird skill. "Breaking and Entering" might be better? But anyway maybe they should have a "suggested skills" list instead of what seems at this point they are intending as a finite list. Or somehow make it clearer that these are just tasks some characters have some training/talent for.
Thanks for the headsup re: players being confused about Martial? Expertise? Dice... We play with the latest rules next Saturday. I have been updating all of the the character sheets with each packet - we'll see how they deal with the changes.

Radajind I agree a character could be better than others at breaking down doors, etc, but i do think Break an Object is kind of a weird skill. "Breaking and Entering" might be better? But anyway maybe they should have a "suggested skills" list instead of what seems at this point they are intending as a finite list. Or somehow make it clearer that these are just tasks some characters have some training/talent for.

I agree with Radajind that there's always going to be a character you can justify a skill for, but also with Gnarwhal when you look at that skill in the context of D&D, it's weird.

But that is an interesting question that might be a better way to go about what is the best list of skills.  Maybe the best way to go about it is a list of suggested skills that isn't meant to be exclusive.

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."