Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for April, 2013

123 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of April, 2013.

While MTGO Buddy is a joke, I would actually like to see some kind of draft suggestion functionality.  In the event you get disconnected in the middle of the draft, it would be better for the card chosen for you to conform to the picks you already have, rather than being random.  I'd also be fine with defaulting to picking the card with the highest rarity.
If MTGO Buddy is suggesting Catacomb Slug in a Gatecrash draft, then something has gone horribly wrong. But then, it is beta.
Fbthlp getting a personality? That's hilarious.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
"Let's try something new! Do you want me to randomly pick a card from this pack for you?

"Hey let me first pick a Structural Collapse for you, you're going to have an awesome draft experience!!!"

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I'm sure I would want Spike, rather than Timmy, to help me.
Reminds me of that awful Microsoft paperclip.  So annoying! And now I am so glad its a joke.
I can't believe people are making paperclip jokes in The Year of Our Lord 2013.
Okay, I laughed out loud at the suggestion to pick Catacomb Slug.

Though I think I actually grabbed that card the first time I ever drafted. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of my first three picks, though.)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Am I the only one who hoped they would announce the third Un-set?

Nevertheless, really funny announcement.
I can't believe people are making paperclip jokes in The Year of Our Lord 2013.

But the amazing thing is that they're still funny! Plus, I think the average Magic player is of an age to have grown up with the paperclip. It's like how you can go any FNM and start making jokes about dying of dysentery and the people around you will find it funny--because it brings Oregon Trail to mind first, rather than, say, dying of dysentery. Which is not a fun or funny activity and still happens in parts of the world.

Anyway, I found this very funny, though Trick slightly missed the boat in not having an "It looks like you're trying to...", which could have been hilarious. "It looks like you're trying to combo off! Would you like my help?" NO I WOULD NOT.
Am I the only one who got the LSV reference?
Dude new Duel Deck ftw
Can you run a verdant catacomb or scalding tar in a deck tih blue/green color identity?

Also I hope they reprint hero of bladehold in this new Duel Decks that would be sweet ****!! 
Can you run a verdant catacomb or scalding tar in a deck tih blue/green color identity?

Yes. Color identity is based on only the card's colour and the colour of mana symbols in its text.
Six preview cards? Six?!

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Alright, Wizards. Now is the time to print that foil, mythic, alternate-art Goblin Hero that we're all waiting for. Get to it!

The other one should obviously be B.F.M.
Izzet vs. Golgari was the last faction vs. faction duel deck, and both those factions appeared in the following block (Return to Ravnica, which contained both the Izzet and Golgari guilds). So... does that mean that the theme of Theros is going to be heroes vs. monsters? It seems plausible, given the references to ancient Greece and the fact that Greek mythology is full of stories of heroes battling monsters. Man, that sounds like a sweet idea for a block.
I'm wondering if the description of the duel deck gives us a clue to some Theros mechanics.   "These heroes grow stronger with every encounter . . ."  "Enrage your monsters into jaw-dropping monstrosities . . ."

Seems like there is some kind of mechanic revolving around upgrading creatures in some way. 
I hope they're not bringing back levelled creatures. (But it sounds like they might- or at least some variant of it.)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I hope they're not bringing back levelled creatures. (But it sounds like they might- or at least some variant of it.)

I enjoyed leveling - the card template was off putting, but the game play was a ton of fun. More battlecruiser magic, please!
Reminds me of that awful Microsoft paperclip.

I'm sure that was the inspiration for the joke.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Man do I hate that Nic Fit deck's mana base.  Those two Mountains are going to break a lot of hearts.

They should both be dropped for another Wooded Foothills and a Dryad Arbor, the latter of which is a glaring omission, particularly in a deck with 4 Cabal Therapy.  

I realize that means you can't Veteran Explorer for a red source, but the deck would still have 13 red sources for 7 main deck red spells, assuming you even count the Broodmate in the 7, and that's not counting Deathrite and 4 Zenith for Deathrite in the 13, not to mention the Tops.  You won't get screwed for red.  The sideboard has some red cards, but the Carpets are coming in if the Blasts are, and if the Blasts are coming in, chances are some of the main deck red cards are coming out.
Halcyon Glaze is actually a very complicated, but very elegant, play on words of the phrase "halcyon days," which means "good, peaceful days of yore."

A halcyon is another word for a kingfisher. A kingfisher is traditionally associated with having the power to calm ocean storms. This belief arose because, in northern Europe, it usually laid its eggs in coastal areas around the season when the storms were at their most infrequent. Thus, the birds.

A glaze is a term for a special finish put on older kinds of glass windows to help prepare them to better withstand the elements. By extension, it eventually came to be a (now archaic) term for any kind of window.

This spell represents a special, enchanted window, possibly in some Orzhov prelate's condo, that, when disturbed by a potential intruder, shatters into a flock of kingfisher-shards that attacks the threat, then returns to its pane and reforms the glaze that it previously embodied.

I can only assume that this extremely complicated and awesomely enjoyable word association game was designed as a Vorthosian easter egg by some creative member who knows the Oxford English Dictionary better than their social security number and/or who was especially inspired by something pleasantly neuroalterative that day. Either way, my highest praise to its designer.
Pretty sure that Grave Titan is not included because it isn't an eligible Green Sun's Zenith target.
I forgot about Glaze Fiend. Love me some Angelic Destiny
IMAGE(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/225/8/9/bloodgift_demon_sig_banner_by_voidelemental-d46gjhm.jpg)
So anyone know what the second listed Sacred Foundry and Sunpetal Grove are supposed to be.....?
Probably the BW and RW Innistrad lands.

I like the deck though - I ran something similar a while back but was convinced it needed more rebuy than we had available. Maybe not. 
So, is giving judges foil Bribery a hint for ways they can earn extra income?

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Maybe you don't understand how the judge foil system works... The cards being worth lots of money so Judges can sell them? Thats kinda the point.

That said, I now have a reason to become a judge: to get these for my cube. 

(at)MrEnglish22

I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be a joke...

Old skool framed Crucible is pretty rockin though!

Maybe you don't understand how the judge foil system works... The cards being worth lots of money so Judges can sell them? Thats kinda the point. 

Bribery as in players can bribe judges? 

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

While I think a Magic card floor is a cool idea and I admire anyone who goes to that level of effort on a project, I personally think the result looks pretty ugly...

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

While I think a Magic card floor is a cool idea and I admire anyone who goes to that level of effort on a project, I personally think the result looks pretty ugly...

The floor itself is nice - it's the rest of the room which is ugly. Wasted effort that way...
I don't think I'd actually want to play Magic in that room, though, because if I dropped a card it would be a pain to find it.
"I’m going out on a limb and say that undying is better than persist." --- Mark Rosewater
I liked Erika's art best, followed by Maki's, so Im pleased to concur with the judges.

Mackenzie's looks like it would be good art for a spell card, too.

~ Tim   
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
I liked Erika's art the least, and Amy's the best, followed by Nick's. Erika's is good, don't get me wrong! But it didn't feel... fiery enough to me.

There are flames in it, yes, but it's so static and balanced that I don't get a feeling of action or movement -- and I think that's something I need when I see Chandra. I want diagonals and randomness -- something that feels dynamic and energetic.
I like Maki's best... and find Katie's disturbing.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Maki definitely has the best.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes