Hammer Rhythm with radiant weapons and morninglords

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, morninglords at level sixteen get burning radiance...

"Whenever you hit with a power that has the radiant keyword, the target gains vulnerability 10 to radiant damage until the end of your next turn."

My morninglord is a multiclass ranger/avenger who uses two craghammers. At level 16 (she's only level ten so far), she will have hammer rhythm, which allows her to do damage on a miss, but...

"This damage receives no modifiers or other benefits you normally gain to weapon damage."

But she will be using a crusaders' craghammer or similar. A crusaders' craghammer has the power that...

"half the damage dealt by this weapon is radiant"

Does that mean that half the damage from hammer rhythm is radiant, so that opponents suffering from burning radiance would take ten extra damage from it, or does the caveat in hammer rhythm mean that the damage cannot increase because of vulnerability 10 to radiant?

Thanks!

I think the more interesting question is "is the damage from hammer rhythm done by the crusader's weapon".

As far as the question you asked, the target being vulnerable to the damage you deal is not a "benefit [...] to weapon damage".  It's a disadvantage the target has.  So you'd be good there. 

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

The Hammer Rhythm feat gives no clues to the source of the power, but I guess I always figured it did. Its not a good basis for a rule interpretation, but I can't imagine where it would come from other than the hammer. I figured the hammer hit the armor (not the monster) but still hit hard enough to do damage.
I think the more interesting question is "is the damage from hammer rhythm done by the crusader's weapon".

It wouldn't need the line "receives no benefits" since those benefits are normally keyed to the weapon keyword if the power was not delivering them. So either that is an indication of RAI or it was just clarifying text inserting by the author. Given the time period it was written I'd say the author probably wasn't clear on the distinction, but did intend for the weapon to deliver the damage.
Given the time of authorship, reminder text still strikes me as quite likely.  In fact, that could have been how they said "doesn't have the weapon keyword" (which would be a heck of a lot easier to adjudicate, and rather nice actually).

From a fluff perspective, yes.  The fluff would seem to be that the weapon does the damage.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima