Nim Deathmantle and evolve

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
My Runeclaw Bear dies and I use Nim Deathmantle to get it back. Does an Adaptive Snapjaw with no counters evolve?
Good question. I'm pretty sure that it comes in as a 2/2 and evolve won't trigger. What do you guys think?
Evolve will not trigger.

The instructions are sequential, put the creature on the field (it enters as a 2/2 and doesn't trigger evolve), then the equipment is attached.

If it said return it to the field with the equipment attached, then evolve would trigger.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Evolve will not trigger.

The instructions are sequential, put the creature on the field (it enters as a 2/2 and doesn't trigger evolve), then the equipment is attached.

If it said return it to the field with the equipment attached, then evolve would trigger.

RTFC. There is no 'then' between the recursion effect and equip effect: "Return that card to the battlefield and attach Nim Deathmantle to it". As far as I know, the creature will enter and be equipped simultaneously so ETB triggers will see the bear as a 4/4 black zombie.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
There is no 'then' between the recursion effect and equip effect: "Return that card to the battlefield and attach Nim Deathmantle to it". As far as I know, the creature will enter and be equipped simultaneously so ETB triggers will see the bear as a 4/4 black zombie.

The word "then" does not matter. There are two instructions. You always follow instructions in order. It does not matter if there is an "and" or a comma or whatever.
As far as I know, the creature will enter and be equipped simultaneously so ETB triggers will see the bear as a 4/4 black zombie.

no, it won't
if it would, it would either say simultaneously (like Breaking Wave) or use the other wording I provided earlier

RTF Rulebook
608.2c The controller of the spell or ability follows its instructions in the order written.

603.2. Whenever a game event or game state matches a triggered ability’s trigger event, that ability automatically triggers. The ability doesn’t do anything at this point.

603.4. A triggered ability may read “When/Whenever/At [trigger event], if [condition], [effect].” When the trigger event occurs, the ability checks whether the stated condition is true. The ability triggers only if it is; otherwise it does nothing.

The moment the first instruction is finished, evolve checks to see if the condition for triggering is true and it's not because a 2/2 is not greater than a 6/2 so it doesn't trigger, then the next instruction occurs and attaches the equipment making it a 4/4, but it's already too late.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

There is no 'then' between the recursion effect and equip effect: "Return that card to the battlefield and attach Nim Deathmantle to it". As far as I know, the creature will enter and be equipped simultaneously so ETB triggers will see the bear as a 4/4 black zombie.

The word "then" does not matter. There are two instructions. You always follow instructions in order. It does not matter if there is an "and" or a comma or whatever.

Indeed. Just count the verbs.

put, then attach: 2. Two sequential instructions.
put, and attach: 2. Two sequential instructions.
put with equipment attached: 1. One instruction.

Would it be even possible to have something such as "return that creature with this attached to it"?

The equipment definitely gets attached before the creature is returned, even if the ability is only one sentence/instruction. Would the bear evolve in such a case? I am far from sure.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Would it be even possible to have something such as "return that creature with this attached to it"?

I think so, but Wizard does not use that wording. I just used it as an example without pondering the consequences deeply. That's probably the case for 2goth4U too.

But if it is possible, as 2goth4U already said, evolve would be triggered.

But if it is possible, as 2goth4U already said, evolve would be triggered.

That's maybe the reason they don't use that wording. Mtg already has enough "exceptions" like that. :P

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

To what exception are you referring?!?! Plenty of instructions are thus joined (i.e. could be split into multiple instructions).
As far as I know, the creature will enter and be equipped simultaneously so ETB triggers will see the bear as a 4/4 black zombie.

It's not simultaneous. Attaching happens immediately-after-entering-with-nothing-possibly-happening-in-between, but it still is a two-step sequence.

608. Resolving Spells and Abilities
608.2c The controller of the spell or ability follows its instructions in the order written...

Note to self: If you are going to be annoying enough to tell someone to "RTFC", then you should at least be sure  you are right.

Good to know.