Single player Campaigns

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

only you now?

you will need a strong mind to play alone.
dont attempt this at home
so go out every hour and exercise your real body. and think positive things,

step1.
picture a location in your mind,create a strong character, and explore the pictured location , face your fears,
step2.)
rember it is all an illusion and you are stronger than your character.
step3.
figure out your characters goals /and explain why it is this way
step4.)
laugh at the evil thoughts you may experience when exploring  alone.
step5.
when ever your mentaly ready,
state the game world conditions / roll for important scenes as you travel
state character actions, introduce npcs that propell the plot in a positive direction
and have fun.
to quickly make a campain choice
flip a coin if heads the answer is yes

dont attempt this at home.

Troll king

I’ve seen a thread or two on this subject; so I know it has been done before.

If I remember correctly most people wrote down a lot of plot hooks and different things that “Could” happen in a game; and then rolled a random d20 every now and then to choose from a premade list what happens next in the game.

I personally don’t think I could play a game like this, because you can’t really have a plot (sure you could make one but keeping OOC knowledge and IC knowledge would become a real challenge; and it would take all mystery out of the game) and without one are playing more of a "Random Encounters" game.

Also you get into the ole problem of having to RP with yourself when you encounter NPCs or Monsters.

I Am not saying it can’t be done; just pointing out the major pitfalls I see right off the bat.

Just remember, Skyrim was built for one person to play, so it works great at doing what it was built to do. DnD was built for a decent sized party to play (4-5 players recommended) when you start reducing that number (and double so when it’s just one player) the mechanics and feel of the game drasctly change/deteriorate.

My best suggestion is try to find a Google+ or Roll20 game; I play in two currently and I find playing DnD vie internet can be just as fun as sitting down at a physical table.

GoodLuck
Ps- I am sure there is someone who has played a very fun solo-game who will say everything I said is wrong; just haven't meet them yet.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

I have a set of Dragonlance "Adventure Gamebooks" that are similar to what you're describing. They're like Choose Your Own Adventure books, but you roll dice to make decisions. This might not be as flexible or in-depth a product as you're looking for, but they're fun for a short, solo adventure.

A few things- if you ever have to travel that far to play a game, you should make some reservations, never assume a seat will be open (I too have learned this the hard way on a few occasions)

Once again; if you have to travel so far, I’d suggest finding on online game; you can play it from the comfort of your home and all you need is a microphone; I play in a few and they can be really fun (even better if you’re a hermit like myself)

If you just don’t want to play with other people then the create your own story books are going to be your best shot; there are post-to-play games out there (one is on the homebrew forum) but I don’t put a lot of faith in them unless they have a built in dice-roller (to easy for people to “roll” 20s without)

As for official stuff from Wizards; hate to say it but you are out of luck there, they are putting the majority of their effort into the new 5th edition of DnD; and even if they were not, I don’t think they would see any $$ to be made in investing in a solo-play game, considering they have made their big bucks on cooperative (DnD) and combative (MtG) games which are made to be played in groups.

If you really want to go the solo-route; I’d just google solo-RP games; or Post-to-Play games, I’m sure with a little looking you will find something you enjoy.

Good Luck.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

yes

my kingdom for user acessability...........

Another idea...

You drove a long way to go to your "local" game shop. Is it possible that other people also make a long drive and live closer to you? Perhaps you could post a message on the game shop's Facebook page or put an ad on their in-store message board to find players near you. Even if you could only get a small group together once per month it's better than nothing.
My gf recently got curiius about D&D so I've startes doing a 1 player +DM adventure to teach her the rules and get used to them as well as practice for me as a DM. All I do is make encounters less populated (so far using mostly minions) and an NPC companion that compliments her role. For example in the adventure I'm currently running for her, I play a paladin to her ranger. Even if you can get one person up for a chance at a game, the freedom of the rules allow you to tweak it as much as you need to, even for one player. Of course this does become a problem if you never want to DM....
Do you even want to play with others? You seem very focused on your solo idea (not saying its a bad thing) but if you really want to find a group post in the online portion of the website. I've only just started to play DND thanks to this site as I don't live near like minded individuals who wanted to try it out.

I posted I was a new player and that I wanted to play and in a matter of days I found a group. I'm sorry to say but if you can't find one online you're not trying very hard. Hell while you wait work on your singleplayer campaign and maybe eventually you can sell it to WotC or something. So get yourself a mic and get out there searching for a group.

Good luck!

IMAGE(http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb126/FearTheLiving-DFG/FearTheLiving.png)

HOW ABOUT WE DO A VOTE?

all in favor of a OPEN WORLD Single player Exp PUBLISHED BY WIZARDS  
post a  yes

all in favor of consistancy   WITH OUR LUCK IN FINDING A GROUP NEAR YOU
post a no

either way ive got a prototype for a single device that lets me begin to play alone. you can make it at home i call it the TESBOX. when votes are in we could make a contribution to wizards sucess and less lobbying for us to enjoy the best game EVER.

ps. the best laid plans of mice and men, often go astray

Yeah, I think you are under the misconception this is a democracy when it is actually the forums of a corporation that sells us a product.

But hey, keep putting sentences in all caps, I'm sure that'll work ;)

(Before I get flamed, I am teasing you)

Let me put it this way; you obviously have a computer- invest $15-20 in a webcam, and about the same for a mic/headset if you don't have a built-in mic on your computer. Search Roll20 and other sites for players (either in your area or just in general) and play via skype/maptools. Otherwise, have fun playing on your own.

Sorry if this comes off harsh, but it's kind of pointless to try and play 4e by yourself; and frankly it's annoying the way you're posting. Even if you get ONE more person, you'll be fine. Aside from that, buy Oblivion or Skyrim and stop QQ'ing.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
ok....... so i am the only one with a desire to play Dungeons and Dragons by my self.

i live in nebraska, in the middle of nowhere, no camera no hobby shop, nada.

And yet  i still want to play d and d. 

I AM Not Alone in bieng SOLO! and Nobody wants this as an option?
 lets use this form, as a "tips for Playing Dungons and Dragons table top Rpg Alone" Any Dm elements you can Think of that make the game exciting
I Would love to hear, Lets Structure it so Whoever Looks at this post can play the game. Alone...... a few charts(quick game info you will need), some cards (for events and surprises), a decent npc interaction mechanic(the Dms main job), i have a few theries as to determine an interaction between a player and AntiHero or Npc or  

so what you will need.......

graph paper
   character sheets

flash cards 
dice
a set of core rules
(any will do)
pencils
interpertation
imagination   
a way to limit what you see on the board
and a honor system.

i Want a change if you dont please explain why.
thank you for your time, and your contributions meen the world.   

the tesbox
Single player Rpg experience.

Comming soon       

There's plenty of tips for playing D&D alone, lol.

Sounds like what you want is a solo adventure. They have them already, just not that many. Mostly because most people enjoy what other people bring to the game, for the most part.

Sure, these forums often turn into b***h sessions venting about something our fellow players/DMs or we, ourselves did wrong... but generally, the experience is manifold better with other players. No computer version or pre-rolled version is likely ever going to match the rich variety that comes with a group of people each with their own unique perspective.

There is certainly a market for 1-player games. Most video games are in the 1-player format (MMPRPG's aside). The nature of table top games almost requires that there be at least 2 people interacting in some way. I'm sure you're not the only person who wants to play but doesn't have a group to play with.

I had the same problem ages hence... I live in the bible belt where I was little taken aside for playing the game because they thought it was some sort of devil-worship human sacrifice ritual thanks to some misguided (and frankly, dumb) propoganda. This meant, of course there was no way to get up a group until thankfully a more rational and well-respected teacher who played D&D in college went out on a limb and explained the educational benefits of the game. This was the 80s, my friend. No internet. Abraham Lincoln hadn't thought of it yet. Al Gore hadn't invented it yet.

So I'm sure there's a market for people who have no choice in the matter but to play a watered down version alone. But I think most people, even your average 'nerd', which I gladly say I am, enjoy the game more with a group. It's the interaction itself that we find enjoyable.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Google some Tunnels and Trolls solo adventures and then tweak the mechanics to work with DnD.

ok..... you win....... i wont post any more bad ideas...........

If only they were all this easy.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Linked here is a Tower D / No DM needed encounter. You might be able to modify it for solo play.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

only you now?

you will need a strong mind to play alone.
dont attempt this at home
so go out every hour and exercise your real body. and think positive things,

step1.
picture a location in your mind,create a strong character, and explore the pictured location , face your fears,
step2.)
rember it is all an illusion and you are stronger than your character.
step3.
figure out your characters goals /and explain why it is this way
step4.)
laugh at the evil thoughts you may experience when exploring alone.
step5.
when ever your mentaly ready,
state the game world conditions / roll for important scenes as you travel
state character actions, introduce npcs that propell the plot in a positive direction
and have fun.
to quickly make a campain choice
flip a coin if heads the answer is yes

dont attempt this at home.

good luck

Troll king

to play dungeons and dragons alone, 

you will need three or more maps to start off with.

a world map

some local maps for towns and or citys

and some tactical maps for dungeons and similar areas

after measureing the world map, you must determine how far your character can travel in one day, 

at the end of your turn you can rest or explore. 

if you stop at any specific location from your world map, you must know if its a dungeon or a location.

if its a dungeon, get your tactical maps out. and explore

if its a city or something similar, get your local map and explore.

you can shop, get missions, lern about or introduce new dungeons to the world map,  or roleplay as if you were an npc or write down notes for  

the town so you can revisit it from time to time. check the players hand book for items for purchace, 

for more information on this method of play. please check back or leave any questions bellow. thank you .

Troll king

Sign In to post comments