Optimal Defenses by Level

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sorry, I have been gone from the boards for a while. I was wondering if someone had created a formula for monster attack bonus vs PC defenses, per level. Something like the opposite of the DPR thread that gives average monster defenses per level.
Er?  Monsters attack at "level+3 vs NAD" or "level+5 vs. AC", with a few modifications.  (Artillery is a bit more accurate.  Old brutes are less accurate (and that needs fixin).  Special attacks may get modified to taste.)

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Sorry, I have been gone from the boards for a while. I was wondering if someone had created a formula for monster attack bonus vs PC defenses, per level. Something like the opposite of the DPR thread that gives average monster defenses per level.

Monster defenses? You seem to ask two completely different things unless that was a typo. Regardless, the forumla for average monster defenses is ac = level +14, other defenses level +12. These are of course often modified by the type of monster they belong to and their role/archetype.
The first poster got it right, sorry for any confusion. I was looking to set my PCs defenses according to what the expected attack bonuses were for monsters.

Now does anyone have any figures for how often you will encounter AC attacks versus NAD attacks?
The first poster got it right, sorry for any confusion. I was looking to set my PCs defenses according to what the expected attack bonuses were for monsters.

Now does anyone have any figures for how often you will encounter AC attacks versus NAD attacks?

No, not really. This is 100% dependant on your dm and which published adventure, if any, you are playing, and whether your character is melee or ranged since melee gets targetted on ac more often and ranged more often on NADS, provided the tanks actually keep melee off of you. If I had to give a general guess based on my LFR experiences for a melee character throughout the years, in heroic tier, 75% or more of all attacks target ac. In paragon tier, NAD attacks become more common to roughly 50% to 60% ac- 40-50% NAD. In Epic tier, NAD attacks are more or less the norm; all enemies there typically have ranged or melee NAD attacks which are way more dangeours than their ac ones, if they have any.
It varies wildly by monster role and level.

Much like with PCs, melee and mundane ranged attacks are almost always against AC, with a small spattering of vs Fort or Reflex encounter or recharge powers.

Magical attacks, like from PCs, are almost universally vs NADs.

And the ability to target NADs over AC increases with level, as it does with PCs as well.
It depends on your DM, however, it is quite safe to assume attacks shift more and more from AC toward NADs as you level up. If you have a scabrous Will at level 4, it's a relatively small problem when you have solid AC. At 24, you're just about to have your own butt handed over to you.
Also, it is worth considering that Ref is usually the "safest" NAD to have low, since its effects are mostly damage. Will is usually considered the most important one.
While it would be possible to use the online compendium to tally up which defenses are targeted how often (including things like bursts and multi-attacks) it would also be utterly useless. You will likely go levels without having your Fort attacked (or any defense really, I played an Epic mod where my AC was never attacked, mostly due to targeting)

I think most people will agree that both AC and Will are very important. I personally place Fort lower than Reflex, but that's just based on my own irrelevant experiences.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Sign In to post comments