Dragon's maze

183 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just noticed that 15 hours ago the dragon's maze trailer was released and I have been waiting eagerly. I know the 10 guilds are trying to take over ravnica and niv mizzet is making the guilds go through a maze that will determine the fate of ravnica but what else? I want more details!

Auto card is your friend. Lightning bolt. -->. [ c] lightning bolt [ / c]. --> lightning bolt or replace c with deck and lightning bolt with your decklist.

Well, an online novel, called the Secretist, has been produced. I haven't read it myself, but it is my understanding that it holds a great deal of information you are looking for. I am led to believe that it is not very expensive, probably four dollars, and that it currently has two parts; one for each set. A third should be forthcoming.

You could google "The Secretist" and give it a read if you would like. I'm sure Keeper, Barinellos, Thoctar or someone else will swoop in momentarily and provide a link/more information.

Well I so would hate to disappoint.

play.google.com/store/books/details?id=_...

>SWOOP

This thread seems familiar! D:<

What Ruwinreborn said, the books are good background to have (and they're cheap [and they're here  {HOW DEEP DOES THE RABBIT HOLE GO}])

I don't want to spoil the details of the books, so I won't.

Jace uses Ravnica as his default 'home', he comes here to relax and forget about the dumb stupid stuff he has to deal with elsewhere.
EXCEPT NOT THIS TIME.
Ever curious, he got himself caught up in guild politics.
He found himself following the same trail Niv Mizzet was, shenanigans ensue.

We last saw Gideon on Zendikar, fighting off the Eldrazi, except there was too many of them.
He decides to look for help.
DUring his travels, he heard about a mercantile group of Planeswalkers (as detailed in Agents of Artifice [which you can find here {I TOLD YOU ABOUT BRACKETS DOG}]) and decided to look into recruiting them to help him fight off the Eldrazi.
When he gets to Ravnica, he can't find the group, but he does find the Guilds on the brink of civil war.
Ever the hero, he decides that he can't help the people of Zendikar by himself, but he can help the people of Ravnica by himself.
He approaches the Boros Legion, deciding that their DO FIRST, THINK LATER approach to thinks is most suitable to his goals, and tries to ease the tensions between the guilds.

Ral Zarek is the guildmage that Niv Mizzet put in charge of researching the maze.
Domri is a Gruul kid who ignited in a coming of age ritual. He is thusfar unrelated to the overall plot of the block.

Anything else?
Well there's Vraska who ascended while being held in an Azorious Jail alongside other Gogari members (forget the exact details), she then came back and started targeting those attahed to the case that lead to her ascension. Don't know if she does much for the actual main plot.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Well there's Vraska.

Oh yeah.
 Don't know if she does much for the actual main plot.

Not really.
Well there's Vraska.

Oh yeah.

Not really.

...yet.
Well there's Vraska.

Oh yeah.

Not really.

Doesn't she violate "walkers who have a reason to walk" principle? She seems very tied down to Ravnica.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
She's not really tied down.
She's somewhat of a recluse in her guild, and we already know that she spends a great deal of time away from Ravnica, honing her tracking techniques. 
She's not really tied down.
She's somewhat of a recluse in her guild, and we already know that she spends a great deal of time away from Ravnica, honing her tracking techniques. 

And murdering other people for shinies.
I figure she does that to support herself.

If you do a job that you love you never have to work a day in your life.
If you're good at something, never do it for free.
etc etc etc  
Actually, from what we know of her, she's a hoarder. She likes taking trophies.
Actually, from what we know of her, she's a hoarder. She likes taking trophies.

What Vraska's assassin tokens really look like:

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Kinda makes me sad that we've already used up our Yuatja style walker in the form of Garruk.
Kinda makes me sad that we've already used up our Yuatja style walker in the form of Garruk.

yuatja?

yuatja?

The actual name of the predator race.
They don't call themselves "predators" after all.

yuatja?

Dare I ask which novel or comic that tidbit was gleaned from? Not that the species name is a critical plot point, but I've always been curious what they were called.
IMAGE(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/225/8/9/bloodgift_demon_sig_banner_by_voidelemental-d46gjhm.jpg)
I believe that that was from the first AVP book, it might have also been in the avp comic book.
In the book the yuatja or preditors seed a planet  with aliens so their new hunters to have their right of passage. It just so happens that this planet has had a human settlement created scince the last hunt on the planet. The long and short of it is, most of the preditors die and the last few of them end up teaming up with the last remaning humans to hunt the aliens. all but one human female dies the  last preditor alive marks her as a hunter with teh alien blood. She stays on the planet till the next preditor ship comes by and joins them for their next hunt.  That is roughly what I remember of the book. it was a very very good read.

yuatja?

Holla!  (Not many people know that, so I'm impressed. :P )  And I think it's actually spelled "yautja."

I'm glad to hear that they have more books coming out.  I was royally disappointed that thet didn't write a single book for Innistrad, with all of its rich and tasty flavor. 
Interesting. I'll have to dig into some of the AVP stuff.
IMAGE(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/225/8/9/bloodgift_demon_sig_banner_by_voidelemental-d46gjhm.jpg)
I'm glad to hear that they have more books coming out.  I was royally disappointed that thet didn't write a single book for Innistrad, with all of its rich and tasty flavor. 

Actually, they did.  But it was so terrible that Wizards refused to put it out to the masses.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

That was not for Innistrad, that was for Liliana, the same way Agents of Artifice was for Jace, Purifying Fire was for Chandra, and Test of Metal was for Tezzeret. What they did do was move the plot involving Liliana and Griselbrand into the main Innistrad storyline, which is why Garruk appeared as well.

What Ruwinreborn said, the books are good background to have (and they're cheap [and they're here  {HOW DEEP DOES THE RABBIT HOLE GO}])

do you need a kindle to read those? 

do you need a kindle to read those? 

For some of them you do. Depends on where you get it from really.
I use Googleplay, which allows you to read on your computer.
ok thank you
So are we using this thread or the Champion thread to post spoilers?

Oh whatever, I'm using this thread.

So here's a thing:

Looks like Gideon isn't so happy with how his stay on Ravnica is panning out.

Maybe he shouldn't have randomly decided that the whole Plane Getting Eaten thing should wait while he hung out with a hot angel with flaming hair D: 

...Wow, Gideon has a type, doesn't he? I only just got that.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Looks like Gideon isn't so happy with how his stay on Ravnica is panning out.

Maybe he shouldn't have randomly decided that the whole Plane Getting Eaten thing should wait while he hung out with a hot angel with flaming hair D: 

...Wow, Gideon has a type, doesn't he? I only just got that.

I thought about editing in the bookhead, but was too lazy.
I should probably do that myself just so other people can use the image whenever I'm way late to the party.

What I don't get about this card is the sudden reappearence of the Guildless subplot that seems to be going nowhere and doing nothing otherwise... 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
What I don't get about this card is the sudden reappearence of the Guildless subplot that seems to be going nowhere and doing nothing otherwise... 

Pretty simple really, they've painted themselves into a corner with a plot they never planned on finishing, but people's expectations were built up by wasting an entire set focusing the action on them.

The Implicit Maze should have been the primary focus as of the 2nd block, instead of wasting it on the guildless and having Niv announce its existence to everyone.

Lavinia, Emmara, and Ruric already had an inkling of it. They should have focused on all the guilds gaining an understanding of it instead of blowing their plot with the gateless.
Reviewing the Gatekeepers, I have to say that the art on virtually all of them is just stellar, absolutely brilliantly composed pieces with vibrant atmosphere.

Except Opal Lake... which is just flat and woefully executed. It all boils down to the face and uninspired lighting. Looks like the Moai just got up and found a glowing stick. It wouldn't have been unsalvagable, but I'm surprised it passed the quality control tests. (seriously, the nose, the eyes, the upper head... dreadful)
I should probably do that myself just so other people can use the image whenever I'm way late to the party.

This is just a hypothesis, but I notice a lot of the Guildless cards were mostly involved with the Boros than the other guilds. I am assuming then that both the Boros and the Guildless are looking at the Maze as a distraction to be used in their favor. The Guildless can strike the Guilds while they are focused on the Maze and blocking each other from victory, while the Boros can use it as an opportunity to strike at Guildless factions that are hiding  in territory belonging to other Guilds. That upsets Gideon, because the sort of blitzkrieg that would require is going to crush a lot of people who aren`t involved one way or the other.
I hope Gideon ends up killing Aurelia.

They would totally go for that.

Auto card is your friend. Lightning bolt. -->. [ c] lightning bolt [ / c]. --> lightning bolt or replace c with deck and lightning bolt with your decklist.

Well, she has to go one way or another so that Feather can be free to lead the Boros once more.

And then Gideon kills her and takes control of the Boros. Then he teams up with Niv-Mizzet and rules Ravnica. 

It had to happen eventually.

And then Gideon kills her and takes control of the Boros. Then he teams up with Niv-Mizzet and rules Ravnica. 

Not even as a joke.
Learn the characters.

Not even as a joke.
Learn the characters.

i know the characters, it was just complete bogus (i havent used that word in a while).

I agree. Very pathetic.

...That's rather blunt.

I'd rather have her alive to be a main antagonist next time we return.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)

No, he kills her and takes control of the boros to march them against the Eldrazi.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920