The guild parings for Dragon's Maze

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have some ideas for what I think the guild pairing will be for Dragon's Maze will be:

Azorius and Boros: While they have different ideas on how to get there, they both are about upholding the laws and justice.  They are both about having a ton of creatures, and their mechanics will work well together.  The Azorius will detain, so that you can get your batallion triggers to work without fear of them being interupted.

Golgari and Dimir: Both of their effects in this block have been about making things be useful more than once.  Scavenge let you pump creatures by getting rid of creatures that are already in your graveyard anyway, and Cipher lets you use spells multiple times every turn, which would work particularly well with creatures that have got +1/+1 counters on them due to the fact that your opponent will have to block them in order not to die insanely quick, and then after you've cleared their board, you can hit them with damage so your Ciphers can happen.  Or, if your Ciphers allow you to remove their creatures, you can then Scavenge and then hit your opponent for mega damage.

Selesnya and Simic: These guilds are both about getting big board states, and very quickly. You can get a ton of little creatures with evolve, then use the populate mechanic to make bigger tokens that will make your evolve triggers happen. Both guilds are nature based as well.  The best part is, Selesnya has good commons like Rootborn Defenses that will preserve your creatures, but also give you free tokens, while also giving you the blue/white combination that is really prevalent in control decks.  You get 2 great things: control and aggro.

Izzet and Gruul: The great thing about these guilds is that they are unpredictable and are good at changing the board state due to the way that overload and bloodrush work.  One moment your opponet can think they are going to win, and then you bloodrush and switch how a battle goes, and another moment, you can completely remove all of their stuff from the field or make it useless with cards like Blustersquall and then bloodrush to really put the damage on.

Rakdos and Orzhov: Both of these guilds are about being selfish, and having others suffer for your gain. This works with the extort mechanic very well keeping your life total up since if you unleash your creatures, you can't block with them, so it leaves you great offense with your creatures, and gives you some breathing room if you extort your creatures when they come out.

While these are obviously just my speculations, what do you guys think?  What guilds do you think will be paired?

Do you mean mechanically or in the story?

Gamewise, we know the guilds are being paired at random, there is no right choice.
Storywise, the trailer suggests they'll be competing for one prize, so I'm not so sure about team-ups.
Do you mean mechanically or in the story?

Gamewise, we know the guilds are being paired at random, there is no right choice.
Storywise, the trailer suggests they'll be competing for one prize, so I'm not so sure about team-ups.

Mechanically.

Also, I haven't been keeping up with everything that Wizards has been releasing about the set recently, but did they release an article which said it would indeed be random? If so, I'm disappointed.  I figured they would put more effort in than that to make sure players have more fun or gravitate to certain strategies.
The only article I saw linked said 'secret', which to me does not necessarily mean random.  I also thought about the possible pairings and came up with:

Azorius-Boros - Both aggressive strategies which use lower cost creatures with bonuses to close the game out early
Golgari-Simic - Both use +1/+1 counters in their guild mechanic and I think could work well together
Rakdos-Gruul - Both all in on attacking with their guild mechanics

This leaves:

Izzet-Dimir - Makes sense as they are both invloved with casting instants and sorceries
Selesnya-Orzhov - Not sure how or if tokens and extort go together

I can also see your reasoning for Selesnya-Simic.  That would leave Golgari-Orzhov, which kind of makes sense as both are about incremental advantage leading to the long game.

Cheers
The DGM guild packs will work like this:
Half of the pack will be of a guild of your choosing, half will be a guild that shares a color from the opposite set.

So if you choose Rakdos (an RTR guild) half of your pack will be, Boros, Dimir, Orzhov or Gruul (GTC guilds) secretly. You don't get to choose.
Yes, you don't get to choose.  That does not mean that the pairings are random though.  It could be random, but then again Wizards could have selected a secret pair for each of the guilds.  The pair could be different depending on whether you picked the RTR or GTC guild, it could be the same.  I haven't seen anything yet which would say one way or the other what exactly it will be, which is why there is speculation about the subject.

Cheers
The DGM guild packs will work like this:
Half of the pack will be of a guild of your choosing, half will be a guild that shares a color from the opposite set.

So if you choose Rakdos (an RTR guild) half of your pack will be, Boros, Dimir, Orzhov or Gruul (GTC guilds) secretly. You don't get to choose.

Yeah, but just because its secret doesn't mean it'll be random.  I don't think that Wizards would do that for a pre-release.  The last 2 pre-releases have given players guaranteed cards in the colors of their choosing, and I don't think they'd suddenly start giving players who choose the same colors different guaranteed cards (when I say guaranteed cards, I mean in the guild packs).

What I mean is, I don't see them giving one Azorius player Azorius and Boros cards, then another player Azorius cards and Orzhov cards, and do so knowingly.  It creates an inconsistent mix of cards outside of the boosters that we'll get at the pre-release.  I could easily see players' conversations going like this:

Player 1: "What guild did you choose?"
Player 2: "Azorius, what about you?"
Player 1: "Azorius. What was your allied guild"
Player 2: "Boros. Yours?"
Player 1: "Lucky, I got stuck with Orzhov."
I'm sure that the example given above was purely hypothetical, but Azorius/Orzhov would be a much more potent guild pairing that Azorius/Boros.
One of the things I like about the guilds is that as far as shared-color guild combos go there's no right or wrong answer. Yes, certain pairs enjoy more direct synergy than others but if you look into the cards available for each guild you'll find almost any pair can work together. For example, Izzet provides Boros and Gruul with more removal options, burning all the 1-toughness weenies with which they're hoping to chump block you or boosting your creatures' power for a decisive swing.

I'm sure that the example given above was purely hypothetical, but Azorius/Orzhov would be a much more potent guild pairing that Azorius/Boros.

I don't know. Detain + Betallion makes a strong case.

This conversation is my case and point for why random pairing IS AWESOME.
But I only play limited because I hate the consistancy of standard, so I suppose I can see why someone would have an opposing view.
Yeah, but just because its secret doesn't mean it'll be random.  I don't think that Wizards would do that for a pre-release.  The last 2 pre-releases have given players guaranteed cards in the colors of their choosing, and I don't think they'd suddenly start giving players who choose the same colors different guaranteed cards (when I say guaranteed cards, I mean in the guild packs).

What I mean is, I don't see them giving one Azorius player Azorius and Boros cards, then another player Azorius cards and Orzhov cards, and do so knowingly.  It creates an inconsistent mix of cards outside of the boosters that we'll get at the pre-release.  I could easily see players' conversations going like this:

Not seeing a problem here. Both player chose Azorius, and both of them got Azorius. And while it's possible that your conversation will happen, it's just as likely to go like this:

Player 1: "I got Orzhov."
Player 2: "Isn't this cool? Even though we picked the same guild, we get to use different decks!"
Player 1: "This is the best decision Wizards has ever made!"

Not seeing a problem here. Both player chose Azorius, and both of them got Azorius. And while it's possible that your conversation will happen, it's just as likely to go like this:

Player 1: "I got Orzhov."
Player 2: "Isn't this cool? Even though we picked the same guild, we get to use different decks!"
Player 1: "This is the best decision Wizards has ever made!"

I don't know about you, but if it was predetermined, I would feel better not getting my boros/rakdos pair than if it was chance.
I played 2 other boros decks at the prerelease, and both were very different from mine. 

And all will know the wonder of my dark and jeweled sky, when all the world is wrapped in an eternal lullaby.

They have confirmed there are no fixed pairings. Move along.
They have confirmed there are no fixed pairings. Move along.

Where?
I'm pretty sure they confirmed this earlier, but they definitely did so today.  You get the guild of your choice, plus a guild that shares a color.  Any of the four other guild that shares one color with your choice.

I thought the allied guild always came from the other set? So if you choose Boros you cant be allied with Orzhov, because they both came out in GTC.

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

"When you walk in to a Dragon's Maze Prerelease, you'll get to select your favorite guild from among all of the ten guilds of Ravnica! That guild pack will have a secret allied guild, which will share one color with your chosen guild, and also always be from the opposite set as your chosen guild

So let’s look at an example: You’re a Dimir player, so that’s the guild you pick. That guild pack might have Return to Ravnica's Azorius as its secret ally (although it could also be Izzet, Rakdos, or Golgari)."
I don't know about you, but if it was predetermined, I would feel better not getting my boros/rakdos pair than if it was chance.
I played 2 other boros decks at the prerelease, and both were very different from mine. 

OK, suppose that each guild had a predetermined ally. For instance...

Azorius — Selesnya
Orzhov — Boros
Dimir — Azorius
Izzet — Simic
Rakdos — Dimir
Golgari — Orzhov
Gruul — Rakdos
Boros — Izzet
Selesnya — Gruul
Simic — Golgari

Now let's imagine a player named Billy. Billy absolutely adores the Selesnya guild, but isn't very fond of the Gruul (they're loud and smelly). So instead of picking the guild he actually wants to play, Billy picks Azorius. Tell me that doesn't sound a bit off to you?

Also, many stores offer multiple prerelease events. With the system above, an Izzet player will only ever get to experience two ways her guild can combine with other guilds: Izzet/Simic and Izzet/Boros. At no point does she get a chance to play Izzet/Dimir or Izzet/Gruul like she might with the random system — which would be a shame, because Izzet/Gruul sounds freaking awesome.
I'm pretty sure they confirmed this earlier, but they definitely did so today.  You get the guild of your choice, plus a guild that shares a color.  Any of the four other guild that shares one color with your choice.

I thought the allied guild always came from the other set? So if you choose Boros you cant be allied with Orzhov, because they both came out in GTC.

~ Tim 

Each colour is represented twice per set, so if you pick Boros it could be paired with:

Izzet
Rakdos
Selesnya
Azorius

Cheers   
Dang, well there goes my hopes of going Dimir and getting an Orzhov guild pack.  *shrugs*.  My bad, I misread

However, Azorius/Orzhov will be a powerhouse, I bet.
I was thinking about which guild to choose and what possible pairings they could have. Obviously the best and worst guilds will depend on what cards there are in Dragons Maze since four of your packs will be from that set. However, we can consider what it would be like with just the RTR and GTC packs for now.

For example, Izzet isn't a very good guild to pick. It doesn't have much synergy with three of its possible pairings (Dimir, Gruul, Simic).

I think there is only one guild that is great no matter who they are paired with, and that's Boros.

With Selesnya, populate makes sure you always have a big enough army to trigger battalion, and there are good protective cards like Rootborn Defenses.
With Azorius, you can use detain to stop opposing creatures from blocking so you can keep attacking.
With Rakdos, you have the two most aggressive guilds together.
With Izzet, you have great finishing spells like Dynacharge and Teleportal.

Unfortunately, Boros is one of the guilds that least likes to splash other colors since that slows things down.
Azorius might play with others a bit better. It doesn't do much with Simic, but it has a great tempo game with Orzhov (slow the opponent down while you peck and extort them to death) or Dimir (getting Cipher through has never been easier).

One pairing that I'm really interested to see is Gruul with Golari - the two big creature guilds. You can make a 12/11 with two commons (Ruination Wurm with a Terrus Wurm scavenged on to it).
One pairing that I'm really interested to see is Gruul with Golari - the two big creature guilds. You can make a 12/11 with two commons (Ruination Wurm with a Terrus Wurm scavenged on to it).

Golgari/Simic has my eye too!  Think of Corpsejack Menace in an evolve deck!

Scavenging onto a Fathom Mage, Gyre Sage, or Master Biomancer would also be VERY appealing. And Bioshift can make sure your scavenge isn't wasted if they just remove the dude you just scavenged a bunch of counters onto.
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA
Here's the strategies I see happening based on each guild's preferred play style:

Show
Azorius + Orzhov: Definitely a control deck. Needs lots of stalling cards, including bounce and counterspells if available. Extort is a good way to win with Azhov, but cheap creature aggro should also work out well. Two or three 1/1s can beat the opponent a lot faster than you would think.
Azorius + Dimir: Another control pair, though one with less extort. A 2 or 3-power creature can win the game for Azorimir if you buy time with counterspells and removal. Being a blue-centric combo Azorimir also should provide adequate card draw to supply counterspells.
Azorius + Boros: You'll want to match the opponent's tempo by playing at least one creature a turn, ideally some with detain. Creatures with flying should be available to Azoros and can serve it quite well.
Azorius + Simic: Alternating between Evolve and Detain creatures should provide Azorimic with a long-term tempo advantage, though of course counterspells and card draw will also play a role.

Orzhov + Rakdos: Orzhakdos combines aggressive creatures and ample removal. Extort won't likely play a large role here.
Orzhov + Golgari: Orzhari likes cheap creatures and Extort. The creature aggro will layer with life drain to beat the opponent down and leave you with a distinct life advantage. Creature removal should also be plentiful in Orzhari.
Orzhov + Selesnya: Similar to Orzhari, Orzhonya likes small creatures and extort but is less dependent on the extort in this case.

Dimir + Izzet: One of the more challenged pairs. Evasive creatures are most likely to win games for Dimizzet while counterspells will provide control and card draw a more ample supply of each. Dimizzet functions like a more aggressive Azorimir.
Dimir + Rakdos: A highly aggressive pair augmented by discard-based control and removal.
Dimir + Golgari: Similar to Dimdos, though slower but with bigger creatures.

Izzet + Gruul: Izzuul should play a lot like traditional RDW but with blue and green splashed in. A little extra card draw and creature boosting rounds out the aggro and/or burn strategies.
Izzet + Boros: Like Izzuul, Izzoros favors aggro and burn. Combat tricks will work quite well with the aggro.
Izzet + Simic: Izzimic calls for subtlety, as neither aggro nor burn are truly this deck's style. Blue is the common color here and that calls for control, backed by abundant card draw.

Rakdos + Gruul: A pure grade aggro deck. Attack often and hit hard while removing any obstacles like enchantments or other creatures. If the opponent is counterspell-happy, run some discard.
Rakdos + Boros: Another aggressive deck. Rakoros uses fewer big combat tricks than Rakuul but makes up for it with a lot more attacking creatures. Otherwise the two pairs are quite similar in strategy.

Golgari + Gruul: Golgaruul, like Rakuul, favors creature aggro. But the emphasis on green mana results in a slower-paced deck that allows more room for control and ramp.
Golgari + Simic: Another slow-paced creature deck. The blue and black provide this pair with plenty of control including counterspells, discard, and removal while the creature base will mostly consist of Evolvers, basically like playing Simic but with more black.

Gruul + Selesnya: Another fine creature aggro pair though with more defense options than Rakuul or Rakoros.

Boros + Selesnya: The de facto small creature aggro pair. Some white control rounds out the offense nicely.

Selesnya + Simic: An interesting mixture of aggressive creatures and evolvers. Like most GWU decks, Selimic asks for a strong defense to accompany a good offense. Selimic isn't as control happy as Azorimic, but still has access to counterspells and card draw.

The pairings are:

Azorius + Boros
Azorius + Dimir
Azorius + Orzhov
Azorius + Simic

Izzet + Boros
Izzet + Dimir
Izzet + Gruul
Izzet + Simic

Golgari + Dimir
Golgari + Gruul
Golgari + Orzhov
Golgari + Simic

Rakdos + Boros
Rakdos + Dimir
Rakdos + Gruul
Rakdos + Orzhov

Selesnya + Boros
Selesnya + Gruul
Selesnya + Orzhov
Selesnya + Simic
For example, Izzet isn't a very good guild to pick. It doesn't have much synergy with three of its possible pairings (Dimir, Gruul, Simic).

Not so sure about that...

Dimir is the card advantage guild, while Izzet is the spell guild. Or put differently: Izzet likes to cast a lot of spells, while Dimir allows them to get a lot more spells than the opponent.

Izzet and Gruul both love combat tricks. Between bloodrush and overloadable instants, almost every card you have in your hand is a potential death trap for your opponent.

Likewise, Simic and Izzet can both boost your creatures up to insane levels. Not as insane as Simic/Gruul, perhaps, but then Izzet brings a bit more versatility to the table.
Dimir and Izzet are the guilds with the least number of creatures, and you can't really run a Limited deck without creatures. Especially since Dimir's card advantage is mainly in its cipher cards. I guess you get more removal like Street Spasm and if you're really lucky you might get to use Guttersnipe with cipher.

Gruul doesn't need aditional combat tricks because it has bloodrush, it'd rather use more creatures. I guess a gruul midrange deck can blow people away with Chemister's Trick though.

How exactly does Izzet make Simic creatures bigger? Things like Cobblebrute?
Basically you want to pick the mechanic you like the most. For instance if you pick izzet you will likely be running some detain, evolve, cipher, unleash, bloodrush, battalion cards regardless what your secret guild pair is. Also you will likely be able to run 3 colors since you will have 6 guildgates in your pool. So if you are izzet simic. You are also by default gruul.
True, any pair of shared-color guilds will by default enable a third guild through their second colors. So looking at how trios of guilds work is also a good deck design strategy.

Azorius + Orzhov + Dimir: Again, lots of control here. A few cipher spells will trigger extort easily while detain keeps creatures at bay and out of your way.
Dimir + Izzet + Rakdos: Creature burn and removal will clear a path for your aggressive unleash creatures, ideally some with cipher spells encoded on them. Counterspells and discard provide some essential counter-control.
Rakdos + Golgari + Gruul: A highly aggressive trio. Discard and removal will keep the opponent's options limited while your built up bruisers break their face.
Gruul + Boros + Selesnya: Another aggressive trio though in a more subtle fashion. Whereas RGG likes big bruisers GBS likes an overwhelming army. There is still room for big creatures however, and at reduced cost.
Selesnya + Simic + Azorius: This trio likes to play defense early game and finish by swinging with either a large number of small creatures or a small number of large creatures, perhaps a mix of the two. Like any blue deck, counterspells and card draw are important.

Orzhov + Rakdos + Boros: An interesting mix of aggro and control. Extort won't likely play a large role in this trio, instead Orzhov brings efficient removal to the table. However, a deck full of cheap aggressive creatures can make use of extort midgame to put all the more distance between you and your opponents' life totals.
Izzet + Gruul + Simic: Two out of three guilds in this combo favor creatures, so Izzet's spells will have to accomodate them. Card draw like always is vitally important, as it provides you with more bloodrush creatures in addition to counterspells and possibly burn.
Golgari + Selesnya + Orzhov: Another trio that favors creatures, especially cheap ones that help trigger extort. Scavenge may work at odds with this trio, however, so the BG portion is better used for boosting, discard, and removal.
Boros + Azorius + Izzet: A personal favorite. This trio is well-balanced in creature aggro, control, and various useful spells.
Simic + Dimir + Golgari: This is a trio where Scavenge may actually come in handy if the Evolvers have any additional interactions with +1/+1 counters. Cipher won't likely play a large role, but card draw, counterspells, and discard will.

How exactly does Izzet make Simic creatures bigger? Things like Cobblebrute?

I didn't say bigger. Just more effective.
True, any pair of shared-color guilds will by default enable a third guild through their second colors. So looking at how trios of guilds work is also a good deck design strategy.

Azorius + Orzhov + Dimir: Again, lots of control here. A few cipher spells will trigger extort easily while detain keeps creatures at bay and out of your way.
Dimir + Izzet + Rakdos: Creature burn and removal will clear a path for your aggressive unleash creatures, ideally some with cipher spells encoded on them. Counterspells and discard provide some essential counter-control.
Rakdos + Golgari + Gruul: A highly aggressive trio. Discard and removal will keep the opponent's options limited while your built up bruisers break their face.
Gruul + Boros + Selesnya: Another aggressive trio though in a more subtle fashion. Whereas RGG likes big bruisers GBS likes an overwhelming army. There is still room for big creatures however, and at reduced cost.
Selesnya + Simic + Azorius: This trio likes to play defense early game and finish by swinging with either a large number of small creatures or a small number of large creatures, perhaps a mix of the two. Like any blue deck, counterspells and card draw are important.

Orzhov + Rakdos + Boros: An interesting mix of aggro and control. Extort won't likely play a large role in this trio, instead Orzhov brings efficient removal to the table. However, a deck full of cheap aggressive creatures can make use of extort midgame to put all the more distance between you and your opponents' life totals.
Izzet + Gruul + Simic: Two out of three guilds in this combo favor creatures, so Izzet's spells will have to accomodate them. Card draw like always is vitally important, as it provides you with more bloodrush creatures in addition to counterspells and possibly burn.
Golgari + Selesnya + Orzhov: Another trio that favors creatures, especially cheap ones that help trigger extort. Scavenge may work at odds with this trio, however, so the BG portion is better used for boosting, discard, and removal.
Boros + Azorius + Izzet: A personal favorite. This trio is well-balanced in creature aggro, control, and various useful spells.
Simic + Dimir + Golgari: This is a trio where Scavenge may actually come in handy if the Evolvers have any additional interactions with +1/+1 counters. Cipher won't likely play a large role, but card draw, counterspells, and discard will.

I started building "guild alliance" decks back when Gatecrash came out, on a whim. It's kind of exciting to see that this is actually a thing with DM's prerelease.

I have some ideas for what I think the guild pairing will be for Dragon's Maze will be:

Azorius and Boros: While they have different ideas on how to get there, they both are about upholding the laws and justice.  They are both about having a ton of creatures, and their mechanics will work well together.  The Azorius will detain, so that you can get your batallion triggers to work without fear of them being interupted.

Golgari and Dimir: Both of their effects in this block have been about making things be useful more than once.  Scavenge let you pump creatures by getting rid of creatures that are already in your graveyard anyway, and Cipher lets you use spells multiple times every turn, which would work particularly well with creatures that have got +1/+1 counters on them due to the fact that your opponent will have to block them in order not to die insanely quick, and then after you've cleared their board, you can hit them with damage so your Ciphers can happen.  Or, if your Ciphers allow you to remove their creatures, you can then Scavenge and then hit your opponent for mega damage.

Selesnya and Simic: These guilds are both about getting big board states, and very quickly. You can get a ton of little creatures with evolve, then use the populate mechanic to make bigger tokens that will make your evolve triggers happen. Both guilds are nature based as well.  The best part is, Selesnya has good commons like Rootborn Defenses that will preserve your creatures, but also give you free tokens, while also giving you the blue/white combination that is really prevalent in control decks.  You get 2 great things: control and aggro.

Izzet and Gruul: The great thing about these guilds is that they are unpredictable and are good at changing the board state due to the way that overload and bloodrush work.  One moment your opponet can think they are going to win, and then you bloodrush and switch how a battle goes, and another moment, you can completely remove all of their stuff from the field or make it useless with cards like Blustersquall and then bloodrush to really put the damage on.

Rakdos and Orzhov: Both of these guilds are about being selfish, and having others suffer for your gain. This works with the extort mechanic very well keeping your life total up since if you unleash your creatures, you can't block with them, so it leaves you great offense with your creatures, and gives you some breathing room if you extort your creatures when they come out.

While these are obviously just my speculations, what do you guys think?  What guilds do you think will be paired?

The only guild that would pair with Gruul would be Rakdos. I don't see Mizzet alliying himself with savages.
The only guild that would pair with Gruul would be Rakdos.

I dunno, I can see the Golgari or Selesnyans allying with the Gruul as well. Although Selesnya would only do it if forced by circumstances.
I think you have the wrong "least popular" guild. The Gruul may be dangerous, but they're not depraved like the Rakdos. Rakdos is the guild I think would have the hardest time convincing any others to work with it barring Dimir and possibly Golgari. Gruul and Rakdos have even been enemies recently as evidenced in Gruul Ingenuity and its preceding story. I will acknowledge though that Gruul isn't the most popular name in Ravnica; only Boros and Golgari seem like they'd have any potential to ally with Gruul, though Izzet and Simic would probably be happy to if Gruul wanted their help.

Will the guild packs have the guild's prerelease foils? If so, Izzet+Dimir means instant-speed cypher attached to a 4/4 flier...
Will the guild packs have the guild's prerelease foils? If so, Izzet+Dimir means instant-speed cypher attached to a 4/4 flier...

No.

Rules Advisor

Anyone give any thought that with the pairings comes some secret alliance  for a 3 colored Legend?
Anyone give any thought that with the pairings comes some secret alliance  for a 3 colored Legend?

Just speculation, but I doubt they want to go that route.  I think the alliances should naturally appear in the booster drafts.
If they did decide to do some sort of collaborative thing with the guilds, it would probably include ALL guilds, and thus ALL colors.  It seems like we're building up to needing ALL the guilds to cooperate to unlock the potential of the Implicit Maze.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />The only guild that would pair with Gruul would be Rakdos. I don't see Mizzet alliying himself with savages.

I disagree. Super-Geniuses in many comics and fiction are always willing to ally with savages, because savages are easy to out-think and control. I wholeheartedly see Niv-Mizzet allying with and manipulating anyone or anything that mnight gain him some kind of advantage, especially a group of big, burly barbarians to be a meaty frontline to protect his guildmages with.

It's similar in D&D to a Wizard joining up with a savage barbarian/fighter.