Green Age as a campaign setting

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've always wanted to run a green age game and am finally getting around to it. There's plenty of details to flesh out and lots of open space to fill. Tech level? What was faith like in the age? What was it like when arcane magic was new and promising?

Anyway I've written up the setting on my wotc blog, but would like feedback from other dark sun fans on stuff I've missed. Let me know what you think.

community.wizards.com/ritorix/blog/2013/...
i would assume the majority of the feel of the world would be similar to "stock PoL" d&d except for the adolescence of magic, so i would just go off of that. what i would do to really set the game apart from stock dnd, is have it focus on storyline a lot. if your players have gamed in "red age" dark sun, have a sit down with them, and rehash the adventures they had, then make callouts to the settings and events that led to those adventures, in the green age game. im assuming rajaat has already been born, as he "discovered" arcane magic, so the plot could orbit heavily around him and the beginnings of the cleansing wars. possibly leading up to a climax where the party is unknowingly working for the betrayers of rajaat, and they ultimately lead to his imprisonment.
sounds like a fun setting to play, and id love to hear more as it progresses!iFrame RemovediFrame Removed
Are there people who set their games during the Red Age? I've never seen such a campaign before.
I didn't want to do a Cleansing War red age campaign, a game about racial holocaust is a bit too dark for my tastes. I'm sure it could make for an epic campaign against impossible odds with the fate of the world at stake.

My focus for the green age game is probably going to be more "points of darkness" than pol.  I want to play it up as a time of hope and progress.  High Athas, if you will.  

Instead of the Cleansing War we can explore what the religions of the time were like - did they set the stage for later racial intolerance? Did they blind people who could later be exploited by the Champions?  And with the discovery of magic that brings up how people would view defiling in a "normal" world with plenty of plants.  We can always grow more...until defiling becomes a tactic of war.  Los of interesting ground to cover here.

so are you gonna "unlock" divine classes and just reskin them for elemental flavor? or just have straight up gods? that could be an interesting plot, finding out what it was that led the gods to flee athas and seal it off from the divine realms.
exploring magic could lead to really interesting adventures, going off to far away lands to compile all the schools of magic into one tome or something.
do you plan to have the lifeshapers as a major part of the game? id love to know more about them.iFrame RemovediFrame Removed
I'm going with lots of gods granting lots of "divine power" - but they aren't real, the faith of followers is just manifesting as psionics. So all the divine classes are playable, just not for the reason they think. Not that it matters to the people of the time. To them the gods just don't want to destroy the world by directly manifesting their awesome power, or whatever.

Existence of elemental powers confuses the issue for them, since they *are* real, but equally uninterested in the world. If someone says the gods aren't real, they can point at the elementals and say "see! Of course they are!"
A "Green-Age Athas" game wouldn't be like your standard D&D game.

1. Everyone's still psyonic.
2. The only true magic is elemental and druidic.
3. The Tyr-Region is located at the equator; it's probably hot, a jungle and rains all the time.  Not like your standard fantasy world.
4. There's nothing Tolkien-like with the Elves, Orcs and Dwarves.  The Elves probably were as tall is in Dark Sun and due to the tropical climate, the Dwarves didn't have beards. 

If I were to run a Green-Age Athas game, I'd.

1. Run it just like a normal Dark Sun game save it takes place in a jungle with lots and lots of rain.
2. Instead of Dragon-Kings, I'd have Elemental-Kings(hint: they were older and more powerful than the DK of current (perhaps 30th Level) (2e))). And I'd have really only have four of them.
3. No city-states, but Nation-States.  I expect these nation-states to be in a constant state of war given the amount of water and populations they can support. (1984?).
4. Respect the fact that Tyr is a dwarvan kingdom hidden in a valley surrounded by jungle. 
5. The society and classes were exactly like those in Dark Sun (slaves, nobles, gladiators, templars).
6. Of course, the meta-physical.
7.  Detail the extinct races; Orcs are traditionally the opposite of Elves.  Do I make Orcs trustworthy and honorable?
8. As for monsters, things in this world that are in DS are the opposite of what they are (ie, Sloths and fast moving hunters), think likewise. 
9. The Sea of Silt is a vast ocean; that means ships, trade and travel (and aquatic silt-horrors).
10. The dawn of Magic might sweep the land like Chistianity did for the Roman Empire and bring down the EKs.

Famous Athasian last words: "Hey, you're wrong. I know elves, I've played AD&D for eight years. They're noble, sylvan creatures who will honor their word." In the desert, everything's further than it looks.
Going off the Prism Pentad - Green/Red Age Dwarves definitely had beards. There was arcane magic, but only Preserving was known to the greater world. His would-be champions and Rajaat were the only defilers. Psionics is still wide-spread, also, Life-Shaping, though still rare, is not nearly as rare as it is in later Ages. The archietecture of cities was likely somewhere between late classical and early medieval with under-currents of the white 'coral' that the halflings used to build their Blue Age structures. I agree with the tropical/sub-tropical vibe, though areas along the coast not near river mouths were likely mediterranean, while to the far north and south (Marnitia, and the soon-to-be Deadlands), are likely coniferous forests with primitive deciduous trees making some inroads. I always thought it might be cool to have the Green Age experience a Dryas actually, going into the Red, the combination of ecological change might strain the societies of the world and make them more likely to fight over resources. Rajaat might simply take advantage of this (or have engineered the Dryas to start with as he is a Water-aligned caster) to fan the flames of his genocides.