Zedruu

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was looking at Commander's Decklist here www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...
and one of them is a deck commanded by Zedruu the Greathearted

The question is with three cards in this deck, Vow of Duty, Vow of Flight and Vow of Lightning. If I enchanted these on an opponent's creature, do they count towards Zedruu ability?

The bigger picture, if I enchant an opponent's creature with enchantment ABC, assuming ABC does not give me control of that creature, does that mean ABC is now under that opponent's control?

If the answer is no, then can someone please show/tell me how does that deck work base around Zedruu, because for me everything seems to be better if the owner just keeps control of it.
Not by default, no. Being attached to an opponent's creature does not mean they are the controller of it. You are still the controller.

With Zedruu, you want to be using his ability to give an opponent permanents you control, and then you'll gain the life and draw the cards. For instance, cards like Howling Mine and Oblivion Ring don't really care who controls them once they're on the battlefield, making them ideal targets to give away with Zedruu.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

After my mana base was well established (enough that I could cast my tricolor commander), I would happily give my opponent a land or two in exchange for drawing an extra card or two and gaining a life or two every turn thereafter.

Not so much for this deck because of color requirements, but in general, I'd love to give my opponent something like Erg Raiders or Sleeper Agent (it even gives itself away!), put one of those three Vows on it (or Pacifism or Arrest or Claustrophobia) and watch it chew them up from the inside.  And if I have this guy out, gain life and draw cards, too!
Not so much for this deck because of color requirements, but in general, I'd love to give my opponent something like Erg Raiders or Sleeper Agent (it even gives itself away!), put one of those three Vows on it (or Pacifism or Arrest or Claustrophobia) and watch it chew them up from the inside.  And if I have this guy out, gain life and draw cards, too!

Too bad Zedruu isn't black (no racism there :P)

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

If i would give Mycosynth Wellspring to my opponent and he would destroy it, who would gain the benefit from the artifact leaving the battlefield?
If i would give Mycosynth Wellspring to my opponent and he would destroy it, who would gain the benefit from the artifact leaving the battlefield?

Its controller at the time it left the battlefield, i.e., him.
603.6d Normally, objects that exist immediately after an event are checked to see if the event matched any trigger conditions. Continuous effects that exist at that time are used to determine what the trigger conditions are and what the objects involved in the event look like. However, some triggered abilities must be treated specially. Leaves-the-battlefield abilities, abilities that trigger when a permanent phases out, abilities that trigger when an object that all players can see is put into a hand or library, abilities that trigger specifically when an object becomes unattached, abilities that trigger when a player loses control of an object, and abilities that trigger when a player planeswalks away from a plane will trigger based on their existence, and the appearance of objects, prior to the event rather than afterward. The game has to "look back in time" to determine if these abilities trigger.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Its controller at the time it left the battlefield, i.e., him.
603.6d Normally, objects that exist immediately after an event are checked to see if the event matched any trigger conditions. Continuous effects that exist at that time are used to determine what the trigger conditions are and what the objects involved in the event look like. However, some triggered abilities must be treated specially. Leaves-the-battlefield abilities, abilities that trigger when a permanent phases out, abilities that trigger when an object that all players can see is put into a hand or library, abilities that trigger specifically when an object becomes unattached, abilities that trigger when a player loses control of an object, and abilities that trigger when a player planeswalks away from a plane will trigger based on their existence, and the appearance of objects, prior to the event rather than afterward. The game has to "look back in time" to determine if these abilities trigger.

Indeed, and look how it says "into a graveyard from the battlefield" and not "into YOUR graveyard". In the second case it wouldn't trigger at all, for anyone.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.