Innistrad block draft

291 posts / 0 new
Last post
I wouldn't classify Call or Warlord as sweet bombs when we know Spider Spawning.dec is where we want to go and will likely crush everything.

So let's take a strong removal that'll be in color for that deck? And we get a decent cut on black at the same time.

Death's Caress.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

From what I remember of drafting this set, the pick here is either Markov Warlord or Burning Oil. Probably Burning Oil.
I only drafted this a couple times. Burning oil is removal, and then, later, it's removal again. That seems good.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Markov Warlord.

I had the most success in this block with the Rakdos vampire deck.  This is also the set where I had to most success, with Gatecrash probably second.

Niche, I think the Spider deck was way harder to get once DKA entered the mix. 

I really should take the oil. I want the Markov Warlord, though. Though spendy, he'd play well in several different decks we could go toward.

And yeah, spider spawning isn't likely to happen outside of x3 INN. Even if we were drafting that format, I don't want to push a deck. And even if we were pushing, I doubt that Caress would be very good. I think spawning was UG and only splashed black?

D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
Warlord but not marrying that pick, it's not a strong pack. I could see taking the removal spell or the DFC here too.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
[Samuel L. Jackson] Markov F******* Warlord.[/Samuel L. Jackson]  Haste plus sidelining a couple blockers?  I can get on board with that plan.
From what I remember, Burning Oil was never as good as it looked.  I'm not sure why exactly, maybe RW just wasn't a great pairing.  Warlord was good, but in the end six mana for a 4/4.  Death's Caress was one of the few ways in DKA to kill big creatures, but again expensive for what it does.  Headless Skaab is a great body for the mana, but can be hard to cast.  Call to the Kindred can be great if you manage to draft a strong tribal theme, and first picking it can let you focus on that; it only has to work once to replace itself.  The werewolf can be really good, but I just didn't like playing werewolf decks in general.

I'll go with Death's Caress as the safe pick here.  Warlord is good but isn't exactly a bomb, so I'll take unconditional removal over him.

If I knew the people I was drafting with and thought I could get away with it, I would go for the Call to the Kindred tribal deck, Spirits if possible.  And either Inquisitor or Niblis will likely table.
I think I'll go Warlord on this one. Death's Caress is Tier 2 removal with a double BB at sorcery speed. The Warlord is close enough to a bomb that I'd be happy to maindeck or even splash for it. 4 power that immediately changes the board state can make for some swingy wins.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Yeah, Spider Spawning was a 3xINN deck so probably don't have to look out for it here. Pretty underwhelming pack, but I guess Warlord.
Even though conventional wisdom was that Boros didn't work in this format, I did have a good bit of success with it.  Several of my 3-0 decks were in that combination.
I'm good with the slip.

Tragic Slip

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Let's Slip into something Tragic.
I like Slip a little better than Wrack, but I would be inclined to pick Wrack since it doesn't move into a second color. The majority of the time Wrack is the same as Destroy.
Ulvenwald Bear.  Since we picked Warlord, he wants an aggressive deck that gets in a lot of damage early so his EtB ends the game, which is also the best deck for the bear.  We'll be attacking a lot and inevitably making trades, then the Bear is a 3-drop that adds 4 power to the board.  And don't forget he puts the counters on target creature, it doesn't have to be himself.
Tragic Slip

I didn't really like playing enemy colors in this block.  I mean they tried to leave the door open to it, but there was just too much benefit to playing ally colors.  Going for R/B Vamps sounds good to me.
If they were costed closer, I would take Wrack but too expensive for still somewhat conditional.  Tragic Slip
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
Tragic Slip is just too strong to pass.  As an Instant, it's easy to get it to work.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Removal for me, Slip.
Slip is by far the best card. It doesn't go with our first pick but it's too soon to worry about that.
Slip.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Tragic Slip - there aren't any real color commitments yet, though.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
Tragic slip

Hinterland was solid and I think that's the best pick based on the first two cards. The best card in the pack is probably Dawntreader Elk, which is why I wanted the red removal in the previous pack over the black. RG was pretty solid in Innistrad.
I think I'll go Hermit here. That's a good green showing tho.

Dawntreader Elk

It's a strong card... and if we open Spider Spawning in our Innistrad packs we're in business. You may say that I'm a dreamer. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

You're a dreamer.

Hinterland Hermit please.  There are a lot of viable directions to go here, but I'm going to stick with the plan for now.
"But I'm not the only one..."

You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I'm actually quite partial to Black Cat, though I suppose it's much better suited to B/U than B/R.

Ill take the Hermit. 
Elk is probably the best card.
Dawntreader Elk, and I still want my Bear from last pick.
Sure, Elk.
Hinterland Hermit.  The elk is a fine card but it means chucking either the Warlord or the removal and I don't think it's that good.
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
ELK.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Elk could mean leaving .  Hermit means .

Hermit.