Does the Herald of War effect non-creature cards?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I have a Herald of War in play with say 3 counters on it, and I play an Angel's Mercy, would the cost of the Angel's Mercy now be 2 or would it remain 2generic and 2 white?
If Angel's Mercy was an Angel spell, it would have its cost reduced.  However, an Angel spell is one with the Angel subtype -- not simply one with the word "Angel" in its name.

Edit - Bowshewicz, as far as I know, there are no noncreature spells with only the Angel or Human types.  Herald of War can reduce the cost of noncreature spells with changeling, such as Crib Swap, however. 
It would be . This is not because Herald of War has no effect on noncreature spells, though -- it's because Angel's Mercy isn't actually an angel spell.

To my knowledge, there are no angel or human noncreature spells.

@Below: Changeling ftw :D
Crib Swap is an example fo a non-creature Angel.
Ah, nice find! Crib Swap would cost in the OP's scenario.
Thank you for the replies, further, based on these responses, the Herald of War would not apply it's benefit to the card Serra Avatar because it's subtype is Avatar, correct?
That's correct. It doesn't matter if it looks like an angel, or if it has the word "angel" in its name. It needs to have the angel (or human) subtype in order to benefit from Herald of War's cost reduction.
Correct.

For additional clarity, here's an example where a similar ability would reduce the cost of a noncreature spell:
Stonybrook Banneret and Sage's Dousing
Thank you for the quick responses.  Still trying to wrap my head around all the variations of the game.
Thank you for the quick responses.  Still trying to wrap my head around all the variations of the game.

Don't pay attention to the card's name except if an ability specifically specifies "a card named". Angel is a creature subtype so you only check the type line.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

It seems odd to me that they went back and added types - often multiple types when a single type would surely have satisfied the transition of legendary to supertype status - to past creatures, but never added tribals to obvious candidate spells at the same time.  It just seems to me it would have made sense to make Goblin Grenade actually a Goblin tribal card, while they were out making Xira Arien an Insect and a Wizard.

But if they went back and added the Tribal supertype to spells like Goblin Grenade it would limit when it could be reprinted.  And as I understand it Tribal spells probably won't come back, so Goblin Grenade would be lost to new players.
Tribal is not a supertype, but a card type. 

And the reason they made Legendary a supertype was because it ends up having the same functionality that the Legend subtype used to have. The "legend rule" cared about that subtype at the time, rather than a supertype. And they later changed how the legend rule worked, but it never changed what it applied to.

Adding the Tribal card type to older cards doesn't serve to maintain printed functionality, so it doesn't really make sense to do so.

Level 3 DCI Judge Mission Viejo, CA

The basic principle behind the Grand Creature Type Update is "give each creature the creature types it should obviously have, such that if someone looks at the card and is asked whether it would have a particular type, they'd probably get it right." Also, everything had to get at least one creature type, so there are a couple of catch-all creature types for things that aren't anything more specific (generic artifact creatures are probably Constructs, generic green creatures are probably Beasts, etc.). Arguments could be had (elsewhere) about whether they succeeded in that goal, but that's the underlying idea.

Trying to apply that same reasoning to non-creature cards wouldn't be quite so easy. There are several categories in which such cards could fall. First are the cards that mechanically involve a certain creature type:

1. Cards that absolutely require that your deck use a certain creature type to work. Fodder Launch is in this category, as is Goblin Grenade.

2. Cards that become better in a deck that uses a certain creature type. Giant's Ire is an example of this, as is the Piety Charm cycle.

3. Cards that create tokens of a particular type. This for cards like Bitterblossom or Captain's Call.

Then there those where the flavor elements indicate a creature type:

4. Cards that have either the creature type itself, or some word strongly associated with a creature type, in the card name. Faerie Tauntings does this, as does Elvish Fury.

5. Cards that just have the creature type in the art and/or flavor text. That category is for cards like Tarfire or Rites of Reaping.

I think 1 and 2 are relatively uncontroversial. For those, the creature type association is already part of the design itself. However, after that, it quickly becomes very unclear. In 3, there are cards where the creature type of the token is an essential part of the card, but there are others that just have a creature type because all tokens get one. For the flavor-based ones, it gets muddier still. In some cases, the cards are specifically given that flavor to support a tribal theme, or even as top-down cards for a particular creature type. In others, they just happened to get that assigned to them during the concepting process. In the case of 5, it's even something that could be changed entirely for a reprint. And yet, I've shown actual tribal cards for all of these.

Also, it's easy to fall into the trap of only thinking of race creature types. However, classes like Wizard, Cleric, Assassin, and Archer are also creature types, and there are ridiculously many cards that could be associated with those. And even if we do just consider races, what about Humans?

Finally, even in a block that was all about tribal interactions, they still intentionally left off the tribalness from lands like Ancient Amphitheater (falling into category 2), because of the power level.

So because of all that, it would be quite difficult to decide what should give which creature type and more difficult still to do so in a way that a player would reasonably be able to guess what the outcome would be. And now they've decided to entirely abandon the tribal card type for future sets.
Tribal is not a supertype, but a card type.

Didn't realize there was a difference!  Hooray for learning!