[DGM] Speculation - Melek, Izzet Paragon

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
I wanted to set aside a separate thread for speculation on a specific Guild Champion, and I think Melek has the most awesome of the arts.

Feast your eyes:

At any rate, I wanted to put forth some speculation on Melek vis-a-vis his mana cost, text, and creature type.

Seeing as Ruric Thar seems to have been pretty pushed as the Gruul Champion, I see no reason why the other Champs couldn't be pushed as well. Without further ado:

Melek, Izzet Paragon

Legendary Creature - Weird
(maybe Weird Wizard? I dunno, seems pretty obvious that he'd be what the Izzet strive for: the perfect Weird)

Hexproof

Whenever a permanent an opponent controls is affected by
a spell or ability you control, you may put a +1/+1 counter
on ~ for each permanent affected.
(effected? I'm never quite certain on the different uses of effect vs. affect)

2/2

This was the first thing that really came to mind, since it would be the most effective with Overload and, if they keep with the possible synergy of the guild's philosophy like Ruric Thar has (i.e. "play creatures an nothing else") then I think this could be a fun idea. Outside of that, a 2/2 for four seems okay on a Legendary. Thoughts?
I write a webcomic. That is all.
Affected can't be defined in the scope of the rules. You can't have a technical definition for it, which the game needs to operate.

I think the 2/2 Hexproof plus the growth ability is probably correct, but I don't think the trigger will be what you have here. 
I would instabuy it if it's indeed a Legendary Weird Wizard.
That said it could still be an elemental or djinn.
Like a derivative of the research done for the Warmind Initiative.
I just figured it would be something that would tie with Overload a bit, like how Ruric Thar says "don't play non-creature pump spells, use Bloodrush!"

How likely is the growth to be permanent instead of just until EoT? Thinking on it, I'd hate it if he just turned out to be a weird version (no pun intended) of Blistercoil Weird.

EDIT: It also occurs to me that my original idea is a bit too much like a wonky Quirion Dryad, which doesn't seem to fit Izzet's theme this time around. 
This guys armor looks quite protoss-y.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
So far, two of the weirds prints interact with casting instants or sorceries, so I'm betting on that continuing.

Melek, Izzet Paragon -
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may untap Melek and put a +1/+1 counter on it. If you do, Melek gains your choice of first strike or flying until end of turn.
Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost less to cast for each +1/+1 counter on Melek.
1/3
First Strike on a creature with 2 higher toughness than power?

I'd prefer Haste, just to give him an option to surprise the opponent.

Doesn't this belong in YMtC, though?
First Strike on a creature with 2 higher toughness than power?

I'd prefer Haste, just to give him an option to surprise the opponent.

Doesn't this belong in YMtC, though?

Future Card and Set Speculation

In which we speculate about cards to be released in a set coming in the near future. We have the image for the card as well as the name, colors, and an indication of the power level of the card (from the already spoiled Ruric Thar from Gruul), so this thread is here for us to speculate as to what is the most likely to be printed on the card. 

Back to Melek; I agree that Haste makes more sense than First Strike, but why wouldn't all three make sense? Izzet casts lots of spells, so the turn he comes down (probably not turn three or four depending on his actual CMC, if you wanted to give him haste) he'd be a 2/4 attacker. Somehow I think his P/T would more likely start at 2/2, 2/3, or even a 3/3, depending on what his CMC actually ends up being.

Something like:

Melek, Izzet Paragon -
Legendary Creature - Weird Wizard (I can dream) 
Hexproof
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may untap ~ and put a +1/+1 counter on it. If you do, ~ gains your choice of haste or flying until end of turn.
Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost  less to cast for each +1/+1 counter on Melek.
2/3

I'll hold out for Hexproof, but I could see him having all of that if he started as a 1/1 and cost , but that really doesn't feel all that Legendary. 
Future Card and Set Speculation

In which we speculate about cards to be released in a set coming in the near future. We have the image for the card as well as the name, colors, and an indication of the power level of the card (from the already spoiled Ruric Thar from Gruul), so this thread is here for us to speculate as to what is the most likely to be printed on the card.

Speculation based on what? From what I can see, this is just you throwing darts at a board, making up random cards based on a picture. It's a thread with your card as the OP and it seems geared towards people providing input on said card. It's a YMtC, whether you like it or not. You don't put your card idea in the OP for a generic speculation thread.

Speculation based on what? From what I can see, this is just you throwing darts at a board, making up random cards based on a picture. It's a thread with your card as the OP and it seems geared towards people providing input on said card. It's a YMtC, whether you like it or not. You don't put your card idea in the OP for a generic speculation thread.

Based on a picture and a name, the hiccup being I didn't take the time to put the name that was spoiled at PAX East on the image itself (the pic with the name was just a picture someone took at the panel).

Lighten up a little. Quite literally the only thing we don't actually have yet is the text on the card. If a mod doesn't like where I've put this then I'll happily drop it, but YMtC is more for making cards that might exist someday. This is for speculating as to the actual content of a card that has been confirmed to be coming out.

@Renasce

People do tend to post guesses in this forum when we get hints about cards, then do the Snoopy happy dance when actually we get one right*.

Don't hate on my fun, bro! ;)    

*I think I have managed to "hit" about 3 times, out of a few hundred darts. But I'm getting better at getting close.
Melek, Izzet Paragon - 
Legendary Creature - Weird Wizard 
Hexproof

Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may untap ~ and put two +1/+1 counters on it. 

Remove any amount of +1/+1 counters from ~: Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost  less to cast for each +1/+1 counter removed this way until the end of turn.

1/2

I think overload one wants a BIG effect for one turn, so I feel it's more flavourful that way.
Melek, Izzet Paragon - 
Legendary Creature - Weird Wizard 
Hexproof

Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may untap ~ and put two +1/+1 counters on it. 

Remove any amount of +1/+1 counters from ~: Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost  less to cast for each +1/+1 counter removed this way until the end of turn.

1/2

I think overload one wants a BIG effect for one turn, so I feel it's more flavourful that way.

Making instants and sorceries cost less based on the amounts you've played in a turn is ridiculously broken.  It makes all of your cantrips into free spells, and Gitaxian probe actually just adds a mana to your mana pool.  Would break modern in half.

Making instants and sorceries cost less based on the amounts you've played in a turn is ridiculously broken.  It makes all of your cantrips into free spells, and Gitaxian probe actually just adds a mana to your mana pool.  Would break modern in half.

Maybe if he only gained counters once per turn. Then again, that would basically just make him an expensive Nivmagus Elemental.

I'm pretty sure it would stay balanced at only getting one counter per spell, with the counters reducing mana cost by only
Since Izzet is one of my favorite guilds, I can have quite a bit of fun speculating on what this guy can do.

Show
Melek, Izzet Paragon
Whenever a player casts an instant or sorcery spell, put a +1/+1 counter on ~, then exile that spell unless its controller pays for each +1/+1 counter on ~.
Instant spells and sorcery spells you cast cost less to cast for each +1/+1 counter on ~.
1/3

Anyone notice he looks a bit like Sigma from Mega Man X? He has the eye scars.

Since Izzet is one of my favorite guilds, I can have quite a bit of fun speculating on what this guy can do.

Show
Melek, Izzet Paragon
Whenever a player casts an instant or sorcery spell, put a +1/+1 counter on ~, then exile that spell unless its controller pays for each +1/+1 counter on ~.
Instant spells and sorcery spells you cast cost less to cast for each +1/+1 counter on ~.
1/3

Anyone notice he looks a bit like Sigma from Mega Man X? He has the eye scars.

An ability like that would be Hilariously Fun and Dangerously Overpowered, so of course it would never happen at 3cmc. Maybe 4 if they really pushed it, but 5cmc would be its best chance.
Well, he could simply be an Animar for instants and sorceries. Or...

Idea 2
Melek, Izzet Paragon
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may pay and/or . If you pay , draw two cards.
If you pay , ~ deals 1 damage to target opponent and each creature he or she controls. (Do both if you pay .)
2/4

Does he look more like an Elemental or a Weird?

Idea 2
Melek, Izzet Paragon
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may pay and/or . If you pay , draw two cards.
If you pay , ~ deals 1 damage to target opponent and each creature he or she controls. (Do both if you pay .)
2/4

Dunno.  I can't tell if the lightning is part of the armor or the elemental.  Or what kind of elemental it is even.  
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Idea 2
Melek, Izzet Paragon
2/4

Dunno.  I can't tell if the lightning is part of the armor or the elemental.  Or what kind of elemental it is even.  

Well, the lightning IS coming out of his eyes.

Keep up the speculation! 

To affect something means to influence or alter it, especially negatively.
This illness affects the digestive system.

To effect something means to bring it about or implement it.
This illness effects severe stomach pains.

You had to say that in the most confusing way...

Affect is the verb and effect is the noun.

Staying up all night playing magic affects the ability to work the next day. The effect is I may get fired :D

The armor is actually there to contain/harness his energy. It doesn't protect him.

It's for the rest of us.

but YMtC is more for making cards that might exist someday.

funny guy

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

You had to say that in the most confusing way...

Affect is the verb and effect is the noun.

Staying up all night playing magic affects the ability to work the next day. The effect is I may get fired :D

Actually, he's correct about effect's definition as a verb. "Effect" functions as both a noun and a verb.

My initial impression of Melek was that of an ice and lightning weird which hasn't been done yet. But upon closer examination, most of his body aside from his "hair" (which definitely looks crystallic) appears to be made of liquid.

but YMtC is more for making cards that might exist someday.

funny guy

I mostly meant the forum itself, not the current voting being done my Wizards.

Back to Melek, he looks kind of like what I imagine Chaos from Sonoc Adventure would look like if Sonic Team hadn't been huffing paint chips during character design. (I love the SA games, I just think character design gets thrown to the curb during development. /minirant)

The armor is actually there to contain/harness his energy. It doesn't protect him.

It's for the rest of us.

my guess is elemental. based on this ^ and the fact that he really looks nothing like a wierd

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
Affected can't be defined in the scope of the rules. You can't have a technical definition for it, which the game needs to operate.

"Targeted" is the closest you can get.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Right, but then that plays really badly with Overload, which OP was trying to avoid.
For whatever it's worth, the PAX Panel video confirmed that Melek is a sentient weird that was engineering specifically for running the maze.
For whatever it's worth, the PAX Panel video confirmed that Melek is a sentient weird that was engineering specifically for running the maze.

This ^

and they stated that this "May or may not have upset Ral"

ugh oh... peeved off PW... aww his feelers got hurt because they didn't chose him as the champion. How akward would that have been for card design? lol a PW who is both a PW and a guild champion. Probably why they didn't go this route.        

ugh oh... peeved off PW... aww his feelers got hurt because they didn't chose him as the champion. How akward would that have been for card design? lol a PW who is both a PW and a guild champion. Probably why they didn't go this route.        

I figured it was mostly that they wanted the champs to be rare, but Planeswalkers have to be mythic.