Magic 2014 "Hunter's Strength" Decklist and Strategies

737 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to be playing dudes and attacking... I like Prey Upon because it's cheap.
I'm no expert, but I think that Enlarge is much better than Overrun because it is more flexible. You need 3+ creatures to make Overrun better than Enlarge in terms of the combined bonuses. If you manage to have 3+ creatures out, you're probably already winning anyway. Enlarge has the added bonus of "must be blocked" so it can work as a removal. I don't run any Overruns, but I do run an Overwhelming Stampede because it can do some pretty crazy things. A game I recently played really dragged out and it was a stalemate. Enlarge into Overwhelming Stampede sealed the deal.
Well with this build, there are about 4 to 5 creatures at every land drop except 1 and 6 along with token generators in baloths and master so it isn't unusual to have 3 or more creatures out. Also with enlarge there is a greater possibility for 2 for 1, you can enlarge your creature only to have it doombladed before it resolves. Whereas with Overrun, it is spread across 3 or 4 creatures most of the time.
I really have to get going on cutting down all my decks; first attempt at HS: Lots of Overrun effects and not enough creatures on the low end of the curve; unimpressed overall. How does it look to the experts?

Hakeem, I know they are fun and cheap but there's so many ways to buff early that I found the Companions not to be needed.
Tuskers for the win!

Edit: Brawn is awesome.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Our builds are fairly close; mine is in post 210 if you're interested.  I'm running 3x Enlarge over the Sentinal Spiders and I'm running Gloomwidows instead of Nature's Lore.  They're terrible, but they give you another 3 power body on the board for your overruns.  I'm also running the Oakenforms right now; again, not a "good" card but in practice they can be a great turn 3 option on a Tusker or Companion.  I wish they were Elephant Guides, or even better, Boar Umbra.  I may replace them with Hunt the Weak or Bramblecrush if I find I'm getting 2 for 1ed too often with them.

I thought the Bellowing Tanglewurm would be great but I've been finding him pretty underwhelming so far.  He's still in at the moment but most of the time I find I'd rather draw an Overrun or Enlarge.
Our builds are fairly close; mine is in post 210 if you're interested.  I'm running 3x Enlarge over the Sentinal Spiders and I'm running Gloomwidows instead of Nature's Lore.  They're terrible, but they give you another 3 power body on the board for your overruns.  I'm also running the Oakenforms right now; again, not a "good" card but in practice they can be a great turn 3 option on a Tusker or Companion.  I wish they were Elephant Guides, or even better, Boar Umbra.  I may replace them with Hunt the Weak or Bramblecrush if I find I'm getting 2 for 1ed too often with them.

I thought the Bellowing Tanglewurm would be great but I've been finding him pretty underwhelming so far.  He's still in at the moment but most of the time I find I'd rather draw an Overrun or Enlarge.

Now you're getting it.  Wink

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

It's close, but Overrun is better than Enlarge. Overrun avoids the calamity of instant removal leading to a 2-for-1. Overrun creates almost as much additional damage with just 2 creatures, and more with 3.

If Enlarge let you pick which creature had to block, then it might be better. But instead if your opponent has one weenie and one fatty, they can still block with the weenie. So it's not reliable fatty removal.

Make it to 6 mana, and you can Overrun, then take on their fatty with a follow-up Prey Upon.
I'm with ZiZu here; I wonder if three Gloomwidow and an extra forest should replace the four Nature's Lore?
I'm with ZiZu here; I wonder if three Gloomwidow and an extra forest should replace the four Nature's Lore?

I don't run Natures Lore in my deck. I figure why try to ramp when there is already a ramp deck that does it better with bigger creatures. Probably the wrong way of thinking but it seems to work. I wouldn't say the deck misses them.

That's what I'm thinking..... I think 26 land is the number to consistently hit your drops, considering the lack of card draw. Sorry, but Regal Force is just bad and I not running it!
I helped someone do an aggro build the other day. Let me see if I can recall what my suggestion was.

With promos, I'd probably go +1 Green Sun's Zenith, +1 Pulse of the Tangle, +1 Vorapede, -2 Sentinel Spider, -1 Gloomwidow. I hate the Gloomwidows, but they're two mana cheaper for -1/-1, and you don't lack for other three power blockers. Only main difference is it doesn't kill Illusionary Servant. I don't know, you could go back and forth on which spiders to drop based on mana curve/trades with issues. You could make an argument for Primalcrux too. Actually post-promo, for 2HG, you could make lots of arguments, including Protean Hulk, who is quite friendly with the Witness Protection Programme.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

That's what I'm thinking..... I think 26 land is the number to consistently hit your drops, considering the lack of card draw. Sorry, but Regal Force is just bad and I not running it!

Also not running Nature's lore.  I am taking Regal Force for a test drive. One game, he came out when I was at 8 mana and gave me the last Prey Upon I needed to win that turn. Other few games, it's been a "win more" card.
I took out all Overruns because it mostly just sat in my hand doing nothing since I never would have enough creatures on the board. I'm using Overwhelming Stampede and 2x Enlarge. Enlarge has been really effective, much more so than Overrun.

Also Hunt the Weak is not good either, it's a Prey Upon that costs 4 mana. All you get for that extra 3 mana is a measly +1/+1 counter. I'm not even using all 4 Prey Upon, so using Hunt the Weak just seems crazy.
Not being instant speed really hurts Enlarge, they could've just removed the 'must be blocked' part and it would be perfect. I really miss Primal Bellow, won me a lot of games in 2013
Also trying a build with all 3 Bramblecrush. Not sure yet.

My rule is to avoid using them on Pacificms, Oblivion Rings, and other cheaper cards; you just end up exchanging a higher-cost card for a lower cost. There are always exceptions, but primarily my rule is to just blow up land and get my bombs out first.

Definitely useful against multi-mana decks.
This deck becomes competitive with 3 Leatherback Baloth and 3 or 4 Primal Bellow.

This deck becomes competitive with 3 Leatherback Baloth and 3 or 4 Primal Bellow.

Still think this is the best Stompy deck we've gotten so far.
Still though, no reason to not make it better.

Show

I think it can be the best stompy deck AND still need something extra to be competitive in the meta. With so much efficient aggro this year, even a well-tuned midrange deck can end up feeling too clunky by comparison.
Meh, terrible deck. Lots of super-pumps that you can't get value from. pffft!
Probably the easiest way to fix the deck.

-3 Bramblecrush +3 Acidic Slime. Suddenly you don't auto-lose to CMD because your cunning plan of Prey Upon/Hunt the Weak on things twice your size doesn't fail and get you killed. The Deathtouch + Trample from Enlarge is also awesome; you get to kill a blocker while only sacrificing one point of carryover damage per blocker. Also, you get to run a card which isn't generally embarassing to main deck. 

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Probably the easiest way to fix the deck.

-3 Bramblecrush +3 Acidic Slime. Suddenly you don't auto-lose to CMD because your cunning plan of Prey Upon/Hunt the Weak on things twice your size doesn't fail and get you killed. The Deathtouch + Trample from Enlarge is also awesome; you get to kill a blocker while only sacrificing one point of carryover damage per blocker. Also, you get to run a card which isn't generally embarassing to main deck. 

Great idea. This needs to happen, even though it won't.
I think many of you are underestimating the value of Bramblecrush. I have 2 of them in my deck because 3 might be a bit too much. It can very much be a life-saver against cards such as Grave Pact, Eye of Ugin and Honor of the Pure. And getting rid of Pacifism can also be worth it.

But when playing against Guardians of Light Bramblecrush is practically a must not because of the auras, but because of Pariah. And that deck has numerous ways to make sure the creature with Pariah doesn't die - your own Predator Ooze, Spirit Mantle, Dawn Elemental, Unquestioned Authority, Seraph of the Sword, Indestructibility. So basically, if you don't have a way of getting rid of Pariah, you're bound to lose against GL if they get it out and you don't have a Bramblecrush handy. They have multiple ways of bringing it back so the two Bramblecrushes should be reserved for it at all costs.
The problem isn't Bramblecrush is terrible. The problem is for one mana more, you get a 2/2 Deathtouch body in a deck with six cards that have Fight effects, and up to seven effects that add Trample.

The problem is there's almost never a situation where you'd want Crush oer the Slime, and almost all of those situations would have to do with its being one mana less. 

Green always mid or low tier sigh.
[kingenigma]Green always mid or low tier sigh.[kingenigma]

Show

So I have a question about this deck. I'll admit I haven't given it much field testing yet but am I wrong in assuming that this deck just dosn't have much going for it in the late game? As the CMC crawls upwards the creatures just look less and less appealing; Garruk's Horde is okay but nothing stellar, Regal Force is puny for its cost even with the card draw (which is only really decent if you have a good number of guys and if thats the case why aren't you already winning), Living Hive and Craterhoof Behemoth are both really expensive for what they do and Wurmskin Forger is... well it makes Ember Shot look okay and thats terrible.

At the moment I'm basically just flooding the field with all the 3 CMC or less creatures I can grab and just playing Overrun and its equivalents until I win. I want to play Garruk huge but the game seems opposed to that. Am I missing something here?

Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.

I, Garren, will knock you all down!

No... This decks finishers are all 5CMC.  The bigger creatures are wasted space IMO.
No... This decks finishers are all 5CMC.  The bigger creatures are wasted space IMO.

Pretty much this. I'm not looking at my decklist right now but I'm pretty sure the only high cost cards I have are Stampede and two Overruns.

So I have a question about this deck. I'll admit I haven't given it much field testing yet but am I wrong in assuming that this deck just dosn't have much going for it in the late game? As the CMC crawls upwards the creatures just look less and less appealing; Garruk's Horde is okay but nothing stellar, Regal Force is puny for its cost even with the card draw (which is only really decent if you have a good number of guys and if thats the case why aren't you already winning), Living Hive and Craterhoof Behemoth are both really expensive for what they do and Wurmskin Forger is... well it makes Ember Shot look okay and thats terrible.

At the moment I'm basically just flooding the field with all the 3 CMC or less creatures I can grab and just playing Overrun and its equivalents until I win. I want to play Garruk huge but the game seems opposed to that. Am I missing something here?

Nope you are missing nothing.
You are right. This deck doesn't seem to be made for running big creatures.
It's all about little creatures and then OVERUNNNN lol.
It just needs moarrrr of these little creatures lol.

Oops- wrong forum!

Well I figured that was about the gist of it. Shame too - I'm not really a fan of the 'huge creature stomps on everything' style of play but I had a blast with Pack Instinct. Oh well.

'Admiral o' the High Seas: The Naval Combat Supplement for Pathfinder & D&D 4th Editionby EN Publishing has rules for this. The book is more for 4E than pathfinder. To be honest, you could easily convert any of the naval supplements from earlier editions (eg. 3E) for use with 4E.

www.rpgnow.com/product/107068/Admiral-o\...

lolwut

Sorry wrong thread.
lolwut

Yeah I think its best if everyone just ignores that and carries on as normal. Not sure how you could post something in the wrong thread, let alone the wrong sub-forum so let's just pretend we didn't see it to let the guy save face.

Edit: Yeah what he said...

Loly?

No enlarge? looks very good with ooze,troll and wolf, while being decent with the other dudes
No enlarge? looks very good with ooze,troll and wolf, while being decent with the other dudes

I'm not a fan of Enlarge...its not a bad card I just don't run it. Could take out the Beastmaster card for one but meh.

3x Bramblecrush need to be replaced with 3x Indrik Stomphowler.

+ Replace 3x Gloomwidow with 3x Leatherback Baloth

+ Replace 3x Sentinel Spider with 3x Stingerfling Spider

+ Add some low cost token generation to make overruns an actual threat.

Fixed.
Also there is absolutely no excuse for why Oakenform is in this deck instead of Blanchwood Armor. A deck like MM gets 4x Lord of the Unreal and 4x Phantasmal Image but poor Garruk can't even get a decent aura enchantment. I swear that they purposefully unbalance these decks for some nefarious reason.
Sign In to post comments