Magic 2014 "Hunter's Strength" Decklist and Strategies

737 posts / 0 new
Last post
Prey Upon is excellent against Illusions. I would keep them.

I'm not going to base any deck due to just 1 deck that is out there.  I agree with Hakeem though, keeping 2 Preys and 0 Hunts might be the best bet here.

It's still very good against the other decks. Specially because there are so few instant speed removal in the format.

Still need creatures for it to be any good.  I'm just saying with PI I know without a doubt my build did better without them.

Prey Upon will be much better here than it was in PI, though. I tend to like removal more than I should, for what it's worth.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I know what you mean about removal, I'm the same way, lol.  I agree it will probably be more useful this time around, which is why I think I will keep 2 of them in.  I still think 4 is too many and I wouldn't even touch Hunt of the Weak.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

i like prey upon but looking like with all those overruns and rancors and probably gonna need the natures lores.  Im pretty much gonna want the rest to be dudes. not sure yet. Would stink to have my last dude doombladed then next 3 turns draw rancor, overrun, and prey upon/enlarge etc. I pretty much had to take out all the (very few) kill spells in the berserker deck for similar reason...

guess my question is how many overruns do we need? I know 1...but want it every game!!

This should end the game turn 5 pretty consistently I think. What do you guys think?

60 cards total
24 x Forest

4x Prey Upon
3x Rancor
0-1x Savage Summoning   (New Card)  (not sure if this effect is really worth a card outside of against counterspells)
3x Garruk's Companion
3x Kalonian Tusker   (New Card)
0-2x Sacred Wolf (good target for Enlarge, but other than that just filler)
3x Gloomwidow
2x Eternal Witness
1x Leatherback Baloth
1x Predator Ooze
1x Elephant Guide
0-2x Hunt the Weak    (New Card)  (do we need this much removal? It always seemed like Pack Instinct didn't have enough of it, but this deck seems to just want as many creatures as possible instead. I guess I'll test this card)
2x Cudgel Troll
1x Fangren Firstborn
1x Master of the Wild Hunt
0-1x Brawn (filler)
3x Enlarge   (New Card)
3x Overrun
1x Overwhelming Stampede
0-1x Primeval Bounty    (New Card)  (the card is really good, but the game should be over on turn 5)

I wouldn't run Savage summoning (pretty much just a waste of a card, a creature would be much better), sacred wolf (with out good arua's it isn't worth it imo, your worst 3 drop) and hunt the weak (you don't need that much removal and this is way to expensive).

I would definately run all the Prey upon's though, this meta is ripe with aggro decks and with lords, you going to need something to take out lord of the unreal, Death baron, champion of the parish before he gets out of control, slivers etc.

I would also run a bit more of a late game. Saying that this deck would end the game on turn 5 is a bit of a pipe dream, any good opponent will see your overrun's a mile away and won't let you have to many creatures on board come turn 5.
This deck was really competitive with others, even Slivers (IMO), UNTIL the release of Jace's and Liliana's deck... and unfortunately, Garruk will need a lot of luck to beat them fairly well; they are just too OP for mono-green decks IMO: Jace has 4 lords (probably 8 counting Phantasmal Image) that gives besides the bonus, hexproof to all the illusions, and most of them FLY!!! And Liliana, besides lords and high removal, GAINS LIFE in the process :P... WotC must like her a lot to give things like Mikaeus, Rise of the Dark Realms and Grave Betrayal (this was really necessary??)... I hope that the promos cards do a miracle here.
This deck was really competitive with others, even Slivers (IMO), UNTIL the release of Jace's and Liliana's deck... and unfortunately, Garruk will need a lot of luck to beat them fairly well; they are just too OP for mono-green decks IMO: Jace has 4 lords (probably 8 counting Phantasmal Image) that gives besides the bonus, hexproof to all the illusions, and most of them FLY!!! And Liliana, besides lords and high removal, GAINS LIFE in the process :P... WotC must like her a lot to give things like Mikaeus, Rise of the Dark Realms and Grave Betrayal (this was really necessary??)... I hope that the promos cards do a miracle here.

If it helps any, Grave Betrayal is unlikely to come up in duels, especially if this deck is functioning at all. It's a shame that they continue to deny Green some of its better draw/card advantage spells (Harmonize, Call of the Herd, Bestial Menace) in favour of difficult to use options like Regal Force and Garruk's Horde. Elephant Guide is at least a pretty good one.

I should point out not to overlook or underestimate Bellowing Tanglewurm because this year they didn't stick it in a deck where most of the good creatures were Black (and some of them were good, but for reasons that had nothing to do with attacking.) The can very easily be game over for Jace or Liliana if they can't stop it with an Instant. Although it won't be the best in every matchup since 4/10 decks have Green creatures. It's still a powerful tool though.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Show

This should end the game turn 5 pretty consistently I think. What do you guys think?

60 cards total
24 x Forest

4x Prey Upon
3x Rancor
0-1x Savage Summoning   (New Card)  (not sure if this effect is really worth a card outside of against counterspells)
3x Garruk's Companion
3x Kalonian Tusker   (New Card)
0-2x Sacred Wolf (good target for Enlarge, but other than that just filler)
3x Gloomwidow
2x Eternal Witness
1x Leatherback Baloth
1x Predator Ooze
1x Elephant Guide
0-2x Hunt the Weak    (New Card)  (do we need this much removal? It always seemed like Pack Instinct didn't have enough of it, but this deck seems to just want as many creatures as possible instead. I guess I'll test this card)
2x Cudgel Troll
1x Fangren Firstborn
1x Master of the Wild Hunt
0-1x Brawn (filler)
3x Enlarge   (New Card)
3x Overrun
1x Overwhelming Stampede
0-1x Primeval Bounty    (New Card)  (the card is really good, but the game should be over on turn 5)

I wouldn't run Savage summoning (pretty much just a waste of a card, a creature would be much better), sacred wolf (with out good arua's it isn't worth it imo, your worst 3 drop) and hunt the weak (you don't need that much removal and this is way to expensive).

I would definately run all the Prey upon's though, this meta is ripe with aggro decks and with lords, you going to need something to take out lord of the unreal, Death baron, champion of the parish before he gets out of control, slivers etc.

I would also run a bit more of a late game. Saying that this deck would end the game on turn 5 is a bit of a pipe dream, any good opponent will see your overrun's a mile away and won't let you have to many creatures on board come turn 5.

Having some lords in a couple decks doesn't make removal any more or less powerful.  That isn't the point.  The point is if you have no, or less, creatures to do what this deck is meant to do (which is basically Overrunning your opponent with creatures) then you will be at a disadvantage.  What does it matter if they have a lord when you have 3-5 creatures with +3+3 and Trample coming their way?  You have a bunch of Preys and Hunts and all of a sudden you take down a lord but have 2 creatures on the field.  That's not going to help as much as just straight up going for the throat.  Again, I would leave a couple in...and I can't say anything for sure until I can do a lot of play testing, but I don't see any reason to run all 4.

@athiesm I think you are right, Bellowing Tanglewurm is an auto-include not even a thought about it for me.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Having some lords in a couple decks doesn't make removal any more or less powerful.  That isn't the point.  The point is if you have no, or less, creatures to do what this deck is meant to do (which is basically Overrunning your opponent with creatures) then you will be at a disadvantage.  What does it matter if they have a lord when you have 3-5 creatures with +3+3 and Trample coming their way?  You have a bunch of Preys and Hunts and all of a sudden you take down a lord but have 2 creatures on the field.  That's not going to help as much as just straight up going for the throat.  Again, I would leave a couple in...and I can't say anything for sure until I can do a lot of play testing, but I don't see any reason to run all 4.

@athiesm I think you are right, Bellowing Tanglewurm is an auto-include not even a thought about it for me.

I understand your reasoning, but having removal matters very much when you opponent is threatening to kill you before you get to your alpha strike.

Also as I said above, the overrrun plan should be painfully obvious to good players and they won't let you curve straight creatures into overrun, but will distrupt your plan and ruin your combat match with removal/bounce/counterspells. All the while killing you with their own creatures.

So yeah I'd say Prey Upon is a good deal better in creature filled meta, and epecially in a meta with a lot of 2/2 lords. Of course having 3 in main hand is bad, but it's also not going to happen very often. Having one in your opening hand though, is probably going to be crucial if you want to compete with the other aggro decks.

Only 2 decks are running lords.  There's not a lot of control/bounce/destroy out there either.  If anything having more creatures on the board is the counter you need vs. any control or removal/bounce.  Again, the point is to overrun with creatures.  Prey will be useless when they use reomval/bounce on the creature you plan on using Prey on anyway.

Running too many non-creature spells is going to be the most common error when constructing this deck.
Only 2 decks are running lords.  There's not a lot of control/bounce/destroy out there either.  If anything having more creatures on the board is the counter you need vs. any control or removal/bounce.  Again, the point is to overrun with creatures.  Prey will be useless when they use reomval/bounce on the creature you plan on using Prey on anyway.

Slivers is literally a deck filled with lords, so that definately counts. AG also has a lot of small creatures that you'll want to kill of quickly like Champion of the parish, Fiend Hunter and Theben Doomsayer. These decks (AG,MM,DW and SH) also seem like the best decks in the format, so we'll probably be seeing them alot.

When you should prey is on you, nobody's forcing you to play it if they got removal upon and besides if they keep mana up for removal/bounce the whole game because they're afraid of Prey Upon you're probably winning.
Running too many non-creature spells is going to be the most common error when constructing this deck.

I agree.  If you have a bunch of non-creature spells in this deck you are probably going to run into trouble.  One can make all the excuses as to why running 4 Preys is a good thing but I disagree.  We will see.

I think the most common error will be 90-cards deck

Regarding Prey Upon, another thing that should be noticed is that the other decks we're talking about (DW, Maze, AG and possibly the Hive) are faster than HS. In those matchups, you can't expect a win with you're trying to race them every game. That's why Prey Upon is important. You won't have time to go over the top with them (this decks best weapon against fast decks) if ypu let their lords alive. A smart man once said that you have to be a lot faster or slightly slower to win an aggro matchup. This deck doesn't have a chance to be the faster deck every game, so slightly slower is the way to go. That's when Prey Upon shines.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

*beats a dead horse* I'm done, he's beyond dead. *exits the scene*

I think the most common error will be 90-cards deck

Regarding Prey Upon, another thing that should be noticed is that the other decks we're talking about (DW, Maze, AG and possibly the Hive) are faster than HS. In those matchups, you can't expect a win with you're trying to race them every game. That's why Prey Upon is important. You won't have time to go over the top with them (this decks best weapon against fast decks) if ypu let their lords alive. A smart man once said that you have to be a lot faster or slightly slower to win an aggro matchup. This deck doesn't have a chance to be the faster deck every game, so slightly slower is the way to go. That's when Prey Upon shines.

Yeah, very much agree, same point I was trying to get across  Looks like the meta will be pretty fast this yeah, therefore Prey upon is an important card to have.
I'll go against all ya'll and run 3 at first.
I don't grind so I'll be out of the gates with whatevet cut I come up with.
I will report my multiplayet findings.
Devil, out.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

I should point out not to overlook or underestimate Bellowing Tanglewurm because this year they didn't stick it in a deck where most of the good creatures were Black (and some of them were good, but for reasons that had nothing to do with attacking.) The can very easily be game over for Jace or Liliana if they can't stop it with an Instant. Although it won't be the best in every matchup since 4/10 decks have Green creatures. It's still a powerful tool though.

I run a very green-centric Sepulchral Strength deck just to ensure I get two forests for Yavimaya's Elder. The only mono black creatures I ended up having were the Blood Artists.. And Bellowing Tanglewurm was still a bit of an underperformer even in that build.. You want it in games where you both have a bunch of creatures out and neither of you can really attack, but that usually only happens against other green decks.

Not saying I won't end up playing it though. If you take out some of the removal, you're gonna be looking for more playables and it's not a bad card at all. I just don't think it's better Overrun or Enlarge
Hi! I run a YouTube channel at YouTube.com/user/NemosChannel. I upload Duels of the Planeswalkers gameplay, deckbuilds, and even Tier List videos. It's the best place for strategy and silly humor. Drop by and see!

I run a very green-centric Sepulchral Strength deck just to ensure I get two forests for Yavimaya's Elder. The only mono black creatures I ended up having were the Blood Artists.. And Bellowing Tanglewurm was still a bit of an underperformer even in that build.. You want it in games where you both have a bunch of creatures out and neither of you can really attack, but that usually only happens against other green decks.

Not saying I won't end up playing it though. If you take out some of the removal, you're gonna be looking for more playables and it's not a bad card at all. I just don't think it's better Overrun or Enlarge

I really like the Wurm. He is kinda like an Overrun, but with a body.

I think wurms going to be good as an alternative overrun that can be slammed down whenever. I don't think enlarge is going to be good anough in the deck though Prey Upon's are better and much cheaper removal and Overrun is much better at winning you the game for the same cost.
About Prey Upon, I think 4 is too much as the card is a condicional removal. 3 seems the right number to go. Specially with some ways to reuse it.
About Enlarge, the card has potencial for being a mass removal. I think it deserves a spot. In this particular case, Sacred Wolf seems a good idea to have also.
About Prey Upon, I think 4 is too much as the card is a condicional removal. 3 seems the right number to go. Specially with some ways to reuse it. About Enlarge, the card has potencial for being a mass removal. I think it deserves a spot. In this particular case, Sacred Wolf seems a good idea to have also.

Enlarge most definitely isn't mass removal. It just forces at least one creature to block yours, the opponent gets to choose which one(s).
My bad. I thought it said all creatures must block if able. Delete that part from what I said.
This entire decks strategy revolves around overrun ftw. I can't stand that. Therefore I will rarely play this in 1v1.
Speaking of Prey Upon, I wish they didn't get rid of Ulvenwald Tracker.
Why is Wurmskin Forger costed so poorly?  It's like Green's version of Ember Shot!

Well atleast he has some synergy with Joraga Warcaller but well... dunno...
Hunter's Strength

3x Prey Upon
3x Rancor
3x Garruk's Companion
3x Kalonian Tusker
2x Eternal Witness
3x Gloomwidow
1x Leatherback Baloth
1x Predator Ooze
1x Elephant Guide
1x Fangren Firstborn
1x Master of the Wild Hunt
2x Bramblecrush or (Brawn and Overrun)
2x Cudgel Troll
3x Sentinel Spider
1x Bellowing Tanglewurm
1x Overwhelming Stampede
2x Overrun
1x Primeval Bounty
1x Primalcrux
1x Rampaging Baloths

This is probably what I will use. I just feel a little strange for not using Nature's Lore, like I am doing a crime. If it was a creature instead like Dawntreader Elk, it would surely have a spot.
Why is Wurmskin Forger costed so poorly?  It's like Green's version of Ember Shot!

Well atleast he has some synergy with Joraga Warcaller but well... dunno...

One of the themes of this deck is to pump one creature that in turn pumps the others (overwhelming stampede and that one creature) so I assume this would be another way of pumping "all" your creatures through them, PLUS have another body with it.
That, and it kills Illusions.

Still terribly costed, and would have made a "good" initial deck card, but honestly, as an unlock? No thanks. 

The Forger is certainly a head scratcher, lol.

More like an arse scratcher, but still...

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

More like an arse scratcher, but still...

Can't argue that, haha.

defo best mono green out of all previous versions

Yeva says "hi".

Best Garruk Stompy, though.
This deck beats Yeva
This deck beats Yeva

Better doesn't always equate to stronger. Yeva is the most enjoyable mono green and to me that is better.

If you line each deck up against each other it might be the best deck. But in their respective meta's I'll wager that 09 Garruk was still way better than this.
4 x Troll ascetic, 4 x Blanchwood armor and 2 x Loxodon warhammer was pretty hard to beat.

If you line wach deck up against each other it might be the best deck. But in there respective meta's I'll wager that 09 Garruk was still way better than this.
4 x Troll ascetic, 4 x Blanchwood armor and 2 x Loxodon warhammer was pretty hard to beat.

Yeah, '09 Garruk had to deal with not being allowed to remove cards as well which was... really kinda tragic.

If you line each deck up against each other it might be the best deck. But in their respective meta's I'll wager that 09 Garruk was still way better than this.

Yeah, '09 Garruk had to deal with not being allowed to remove cards as well which was... really kinda tragic.

Yeah, loved drawing those Wall of wood's.... 

But still the deck was pretty damn good, since so few decks had any real sweepers to speak of and even less chance of drawing them. 

Yeah, loved drawing those Wall of wood's.... 

But still the deck was pretty damn good, since so few decks had any real sweepers to speak of and even less chance of drawing them. 

I dont take DOTP versions which had no card removing to make place for unlocks as really an option. Ppl ended up with 100 cards or so because unlocks were too good to pass and they couldnt remove crap ^^

I feel like Brawn would have been pretty good in Pack Instinct, but not quite as much here.
Wow, made it so I can reliably find Overrrun by putting three of them in a deck a I can reliably hit the mana needed due to ramp as well as reliably having creatures with bodies that it's actually useful on.  How reliable.

Overrun is one of my favorite win conditions.  This will easily become my most played decks of 2014.  Garruk was my most played deck in 2013 and that deck only had 1.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Sign In to post comments