Magic 2014 "Hunter's Strength" Decklist and Strategies

737 posts / 0 new
Last post
Actually a deck themed around Beastmaster Ascension would have been cool. I've done it with W/G and U/G but not mono-Green. Khalni Gardens, Tukatongue Thallids, Fists of Ironwood, Gilt-Leaf Ambush, that sort of thing. Even if they somehow overdid it, it's vulnerable to sweepers, anything that prevents attacks from hordes, and removing the enchantment. But so long as it doesn't have Slivers in it, we can probably trust them to not go overboard. :p

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Bring on the premature builds! 

4x Prey Upon
3x Rancor
3x Nature's Lore
3x Garruk's Companion
3x Kalonian Tusker   (New Card)
2x Eternal Witness
2x Gloomwidow
1x Leatherback Baloth
1x Predator Ooze
1x Elephant Guide
1x Master of the Wild Hunt
2x Bramblecrush
2x Cudgel Troll
1x Fangren Firstborn
1x Bellowing Tanglewurm
1x Overwhelming Stampede
1x Overrun
1x Primalcrux
1x Rampaging Baloths
1x Primeval Bounty   (New Card)
1x Regal Force

I feel like this deck is a little lacking in good 3-drops (that you wanna drop turn 3, not always the case with eternal witness), but if it curves nicely into an overrun or another alpha strike like card it'll be pretty unstoppable. 

I changed the thread title to match the other official decklist threads. Thanks RedRevolution for updating everything!

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

WOW! Finally the complete list for the deck I was waiting the most. My first impression is that it is balanced, not too weak, but not OP too. It has some things that I really care: ramp, flying defenses, lifegain and +1/+1 counters. I'm really excited about Primeval Bounty and almost cried when I saw Predator Ooze (I always wanted him as a promo unlock for Garruk decks)!

But in the other hand, I really missed Dungrove Elder Cry... and I think he wont come as a promo unlock because of all these Rancors (it would be awesome, but completely broken and OP). Well, Sacred Wolf isn't shiny as he, but better than Primal Huntbeast, and IMO, hexproof is vital for GREEN, with all the threats BLUE and BLACK always have the pleasure too make against it Yell (It was nearly impossible for me to play PI against OD (I hate this deck...) for exemple, because EVERY creature I played was Murdered in 85% of the time). At least I expect much less removal in Liliana's deck this year, for the good of the environment.
@Wizards_Sean

Thank you

@All

Hmmm, i had that feeling during the deckbuilding, and it didn't get better, but i think this will be the most boring deck in DotP 2014.
Tons of French-vanilla creatures without amazing abilities and one tactic Overrun don't make this deck interesting. Garruk decks aren't very interesting anyway, but 2009 to try the Troll+Hammer+Armor combo was allways neat and last year Garrul had different playstyles: Ramp into fatties, generate Tokens or normal beat down. This here have only beat down, not more. Almost no ramp and fatties and almost no tokens. Boring. Frown
At least I expect much less removal in Liliana's deck this year, for the good of the environment.

Eh. It's Black. There's three major options; discard, removal, and Zombies/Vampires, which both had tribal decks in 2012. The Dimir deck has a pretty fair whack of discard, and that was also another 2012 deck. I think a high removal quotient is pretty likely, and not to mention _something_ needs to keep Slivers in check. That's why I keep hoping for Tsabo's Decree, because it can murderise Slivers dead without necessarily taking the wind out of the sails of some of the other decks. CMD has a good mix of types, as does AG. EtD might be in a bit of a fix, but that's not too horrible.

Of course, I suppose they could actually do reanimator...it is called Deadwalkers, so I suppose it more or less has to be that, Zombies, or make little in the way of sense.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Extinction
Engineered Plague would be amazing or Outbreak

Plus the usual black sweeper suspects.

Or if you wanna get crazy, Crown of Suspicion  
Pretty straightforward green deck, but I suppose in an intro product it's necessary.  I do like that there's enough beef on both ends of the curve to play early or late game.. I think Gobs would hate to see this deck built for an early game were it in 2013.  There only seems to be one aggro deck in the core set this year, so that limits this build's defensive potential somewhat.. but then again, with a bunch of slower decks and not a lot of instant removal, maybe a build with cheap creatures and reoccurring enchantments (Rancor, Elephant Guide, Regrowth, Eternal Witness) could actually cause a lot of pain.  It'll be interesting to experiment with.
At least I expect much less removal in Liliana's deck this year, for the good of the environment.

Eh. It's Black. There's three major options; discard, removal, and Zombies/Vampires, which both had tribal decks in 2012. The Dimir deck has a pretty fair whack of discard, and that was also another 2012 deck. I think a high removal quotient is pretty likely, and not to mention _something_ needs to keep Slivers in check. That's why I keep hoping for Tsabo's Decree, because it can murderise Slivers dead without necessarily taking the wind out of the sails of some of the other decks. CMD has a good mix of types, as does AG. EtD might be in a bit of a fix, but that's not too horrible.

Of course, I suppose they could actually do reanimator...it is called Deadwalkers, so I suppose it more or less has to be that, Zombies, or make little in the way of sense.

Before I got to your last line I was going to say Reanimator seems likely. Not sure how well a Zombie deck would be received since we had one in 2012.

2+ Buried Alive + 4x Nether Shadows!!
The problem with Reanimator decks is the potential for horrible horrible brokenness.
@Wizards_Sean

Thank you

@All

Hmmm, i had that feeling during the deckbuilding, and it didn't get better, but i think this will be the most boring deck in DotP 2014.
Tons of French-vanilla creatures without amazing abilities and one tactic Overrun don't make this deck interesting. Garruk decks aren't very interesting anyway, but 2009 to try the Troll+Hammer+Armor combo was allways neat and last year Garrul had different playstyles: Ramp into fatties, generate Tokens or normal beat down. This here have only beat down, not more. Almost no ramp and fatties and almost no tokens. Boring.

Hated 09 Garruk so much, goddamnit that deck was cheap in some match-ups (was kinda the 09 version of aura servants just without the mana screw).. ^^; While I agree that this is a bit boring, if we can totally stop getting decks that win half their matches by equiping/enchanting a hexproof creature, I'll die a happy man.
The problem with Reanimator decks is the potential for horrible horrible brokenness.

Who cares? That's what playtesting and game balance are for.
It's not like anyone's advocating piling every card that makes Reanimator decks broken into the deck and saying "have at it".
Well obviously, but if you make a reanimator deck without some of the staples, its useless and/or unnecessarily underpowered and is basically just a deck with some reanimates and rise from the graves.
Well obviously, but if you make a reanimator deck without some of the staples, its useless and/or unnecessarily underpowered and is basically just a deck with some reanimates and rise from the graves.

Eons of Evil in DotP'09 had a very good reanimator feel and it was very cool.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

So you make it with SOME of the staples rather than loading up on them.
Like when I mentioned Buried Alive. One in the deck list, maybe one in the Promos tops.
You don't have to fill the deck with Living Death or cards with absurd EtB effects or supreme-quality/zero drawback monsters.

Also, it's easy to make a "broken" deck manageable by denying it other things the colour does well. Celestial Light had retarded amounts of lifegain, but you would think a White deck would be able to protect it's creatures from removal somehow... It had no way of doing so.

Anyway, nothign to do with this deck anyhow. I'm just saying, if they can make a Draw/Discard deck like Rogue's Gallery, I'm pretty sure they can make a balanced reanimator deck.
I see a few Regal Forces in these deck lists but I think if I run a 7cc creature at all I'm going to be taking a hard look at Garruk's Horde instead... bigger body with trample for the same cost, and still has some potential card advantage if it stays on the board.  I think it will be better when you need it the most as well (ie. no other creatures on the board).
I see a few Regal Forces in these deck lists but I think if I run a 7cc creature at all I'm going to be taking a hard look at Garruk's Horde instead... bigger body with trample for the same cost, and still has some potential card advantage if it stays on the board.  I think it will be better when you need it the most as well (ie. no other creatures on the board).

It's the "if it stays alive" part; Force is certainly worse in combat, but you're guaranteed at least one card off of it immediately. It'd be really nice if you could drop him right after a Bestial Menace, but alas, no such luck.

Given how removal light most of the decks are so far, Horde may be the way to go if the Black deck is removal light as well. 

I think the size of the Horde is the most attractive aspect of the card. The ability is nice, but given how  more than half the deck will be lands and noncreature spells, I can't imagine how often you'd get value from it. Unlikely to have open mana the turn you play it, and sometimes you might want to avoid casting a creature off the top for various reasons.

7/7 trample can end games real quick though and certainly one of the bigger cards outside the Chant deck.

Bestial Menace would've been a great addition to this deck by the way.
Why is Wurmskin Forger costed so poorly?  It's like Green's version of Ember Shot!
Why is Wurmskin Forger costed so poorly?  It's like Green's version of Ember Shot!

It's n00b bait.  If you see it in their deck, you'll know immediately =p
Lol, isn't that the truth.  Hell, even a n00b should be able to make that decision.  It probably means you are playing someone who isn't old enough to go to pre-school yet.  Or perhaps a research monkey.

BTW, which would you rather have if you had to use one (using a mono-colored deck respective to each card's color of course)?  Wurmskin Forger or Ember Shot?  I never thought I would say this...but I think I might choose Ember Shot, lol.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Lol, isn't that the truth.  Hell, even a n00b should be able to make that decision.  It probably means you are playing someone who isn't old enough to go to pre-school yet.  Or perhaps a research monkey.

BTW, which would you rather have if you had to use one (using a mono-colored deck respective to each card's color of course)?  Wurmskin Forger or Ember Shot?  I never thought I would say this...but I think I might choose Ember Shot, lol.

I think Ember Shot is much better. Removal is removal, even if it's bad removal...

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Thirded.  Ember Shot all day over Forskin Wurmger.
Yeah at least Ember Shot draws you a card.
I think we have hit a new all time low then. ;P

Edit: Not a low with the deck, just the Wurmskin Forger.  I really like the deck, I think it will be really good.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Wow this deck is really good. I like it a lot.

Eh. It's Black. There's three major options; discard, removal, and Zombies/Vampires, which both had tribal decks in 2012.

Yes, I know that, and God, you're absolutely right. What I meant was that OD had too many removals (more than 20, believe me, I counted them Tongue Out) and most of them were pretty good and at instant speed; so it was a really hard task for Garruk to play against it, almost impossible as I said before (Assassinate would be balanced with Duels environment, for exemple). Until now, all 2014 decks as really balanced with each other IMO; just hopes Jace and Liliana keep the good manners Wink.

But anyway, I'm really excited to play with his new deck now!!! And I was wondering what I nice 2HG it will be with Ajani's deck with all these Rancors and the gentle Kor Spiritdancers, or even with the Eldrazi friends Cool.
Oh, I get that. I'm just saying, necessary evil, if you consider critter removal to be evil. There has to be a critter control deck somewhere so that everyone else can play with all the flashy, game-changing critters without them getting out of control. I'd also say Death Stroke would be more fair than Assassinate. Three mana is a bit much for Sorcery-speed, target-limited removal. Of course as Assassinate is more recent than Death Stroke, it's fairly likely Wizards may not agree with me. Although I'll say given that it's only one Black mana and was introduced in a core set, that Assassinate was probably intended for Sealed/Draft and intentionally splashable.

See? You've done it. Now I'm arguing with myself. I'll be back later when I've figured out who's won. 

This is the first time Colin Bumbar Harris has met himself in the ring.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

*Bomber
So, was Illusions the reason they included Wurmskin Forger after all? If so, I have some news for you, WotC: the card is still terrible

wow 2 eternal witness
not bad

This should end the game turn 5 pretty consistently I think. What do you guys think?

60 cards total
24 x Forest

4x Prey Upon
3x Rancor
0-1x Savage Summoning   (New Card)  (not sure if this effect is really worth a card outside of against counterspells)
3x Garruk's Companion
3x Kalonian Tusker   (New Card)
0-2x Sacred Wolf (good target for Enlarge, but other than that just filler)
3x Gloomwidow
2x Eternal Witness
1x Leatherback Baloth
1x Predator Ooze
1x Elephant Guide
0-2x Hunt the Weak    (New Card)  (do we need this much removal? It always seemed like Pack Instinct didn't have enough of it, but this deck seems to just want as many creatures as possible instead. I guess I'll test this card)
2x Cudgel Troll
1x Fangren Firstborn
1x Master of the Wild Hunt
0-1x Brawn (filler)
3x Enlarge   (New Card)
3x Overrun
1x Overwhelming Stampede
0-1x Bellowing Tanglewurm
0-1x Primeval Bounty    (New Card)  (the card is really good, but the game should be over on turn 5)

Hi! I run a YouTube channel at YouTube.com/user/NemosChannel. I upload Duels of the Planeswalkers gameplay, deckbuilds, and even Tier List videos. It's the best place for strategy and silly humor. Drop by and see!
I cannot say it will be the same for this deck...but when I cut out the Prey Upon in PI and went with even more creatures to put on the pressure I actually did better.  Maybe 2x Preys instead of 4.  You still need creatures out for them to be worth anything. Same goes for Hunt.

I agree with drifter in that threat density is important to a deck like this.

With that being said, I can see myself running 2x Prey Upon because of how little instant-speed removal there is so far.
That's certainly worth trying. More creatures = more damage from Overrun.
Hi! I run a YouTube channel at YouTube.com/user/NemosChannel. I upload Duels of the Planeswalkers gameplay, deckbuilds, and even Tier List videos. It's the best place for strategy and silly humor. Drop by and see!
Prey Upon is excellent against Illusions. I would keep them.

I'm not going to base any deck due to just 1 deck that is out there.  I agree with Hakeem though, keeping 2 Preys and 0 Hunts might be the best bet here.

I'm not going to base any deck due to just 1 deck that is out there.  I agree with Hakeem though, keeping 2 Preys and 0 Hunts might be the best bet here.

It's still very good against the other decks. Specially because there are so few instant speed removal in the format.

It's still very good against the other decks. Specially because there are so few instant speed removal in the format.

Still need creatures for it to be any good.  I'm just saying with PI I know without a doubt my build did better without them.

Sign In to post comments