Magic 2014 "Hunter's Strength" Decklist and Strategies

737 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looks like Garruk got some nice new toys this year. I think every mono green deck in DotP should have Dungrove Elder, but at least this one has Predator Ooze.

Also, am I the only one thinking Kalonian Hydra is, in fact, Kalonian Tusker?

No. You are not.
We know Kalonian Tusker is in the deck and it's not listed.
Also Kalonian Hydra isn't a thing.
"Kalonian Hydra" should be Kalonian Tusker.

Wow! 3x Overrun, an Overwhelming Stampede and an Enlarge. At least this year, you don't have to wonder if they have it. They do.

Not to even mention the two Rancors and it's best buddy Predator Ooze. Plus two Sacred Wolfs and Cudgel Trolls of course.

The "semi-removal" package is also quite nice with 4 Prey Upons and 2 Hunt the Weak. Ulvenwald Tracker seems very strangely absent, though.

Just as an aside, I'm baffled at how awful Wurmskin Forger is by the way.
Hi! I run a YouTube channel at YouTube.com/user/NemosChannel. I upload Duels of the Planeswalkers gameplay, deckbuilds, and even Tier List videos. It's the best place for strategy and silly humor. Drop by and see!
All decks are in a similiar level of power IMO, there's no OP deck or UP deck...

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

@felbatista I agree maybe well get Dungrove Elder in the promos.

Wow! 3x Overrun, an Overwhelming Stampede and an Enlarge. At least this year, you don't have to wonder if they have it. They do.

Don't forget my boy Craterhoof Behemoth.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Oh my noodles! This deck looks so fun and awesome to play, maybe even moreso than the Eldrazi deck just because so many different nasty creatures.
It seems each year Garruk has gotten more and more fed up of being the nooby starter deck and this year he got extra angery. 

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!

Don't forget my boy Craterhoof Behemoth.

I was wondering why nobody was mentioning that either. Also, there are three copies of Enlarge.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Craterhoof is a bit expensive, that's why I didn't mention it.  Enlarge isn't linking and I'm not 100% sure what it does.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Caterhoof may be expensive but there's a few bits ramp in the deck and it could definitely be a neat finisher, having its own mini Overrun built into it.

As for Enlarge it is this:

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!

Craterhoof is a bit expensive, that's why I didn't mention it.  Enlarge isn't linking and I'm not 100% sure what it does.

Craterhoof is more expensive for sure, but it's the that comes with a 5/5 hasty body, and that's a big deal. Enlarge is a sorcery that makes one dude big ang gives the Lure ability until EoT. A removal spell of sorts.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

I agree crater looks great, but so is nearly any other 7cmc I don't run in 1v1.  Mainly because in 1v1 a game is usually won or lost by then.  It may be one of the very few exceptions...but even in 2013 I eventually cut every single 7cmc in every deck outside PI and OD.  The again this is basically PI in 2014 but with less fetch/ramp so I dunno how reliabe 7cmc will be in this deck.  Enlarge does look good, but at some point you need to make room for creatures.  I could see myself running it though, it does damage AND as you mentioned works as a removal of sorts.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Wow, Garruk does seem to be packing some power here. Lots of surprise breakthrough potential in the deck.
Instant speed pump seems to be missing though, so Garruk players better watch out for instant speed removal. 
I agree crater looks great, but so is nearly any other 7cmc I don't run in 1v1.  Mainly because in 1v1 a game is usually won or lost by then.  It may be one of the very few exceptions...but even in 2013 I eventually cut every single 7cmc in every deck outside PI and OD.  The again this is basically PI in 2014 but with less fetch/ramp so I dunno how reliabe 7cmc will be in this deck. 

What you said is very true. 'Hoof has Haste, though, which not only very good but also very uncommon for a Green creature, so this is something worth keeping in mind. Also, he costs 8, not 7

Oops, 8 cmc!  Ya...No way he makes it into my line-up. ;P

Wurmskin Forger appears to be the green version of Embershot.  Maybe every color has one.
Not to mention he himself also enters at least as a 10/10 trample haster. Nothing to scoff at.
Wurmskin Forger appears to be the green version of Embershot.  Maybe every color has one.

No joke..what kind of crap is that.  Even if you give it all 3 +1+1 it is a 5/5 vanilla for 7...wtf.

I agree hoof is nothing to scoff at, and if/when he enters a battlefield it will be known...but with all the overruns and everything else in this deck if you are get the one of + 8 lands the game is probably not lasting long anyhow and if you had something else cheaper it probably would have ended sooner.

Lot of various pumps available. Kind of reminds me of that point Splatter was making about auto-excludes and wasted space by having too much of a similar effect.
@shidoshi: Craterhoof only comes in as a 6/6 if you cast him with no other creatures.
@shidoshi: Craterhoof only comes in as a 6/6 if you cast him with no other creatures.

Ooops, mixed up the "highest power among creatures you control" text of the other cards.
Someone needs to update the first page of this thread with the deck list or start a new thread for the deck list. It's annoying having to hunt for the deck list in the thread to view it again.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Someone needs to update the first page of this thread with the deck list or start a new thread for the deck list. It's annoying having to hunt for the deck list in the thread to view it again.

You're someone.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Sean is probably sleeping or something. Once he gets to work, he'll probably create a new thread like he did for the other decks. Be patient

I wonder if the Wolves will be worth it in the end. While I know they would be by far the best targets for Rancor and Oakenform, I can't help but feel that it'd be better to cast Rancor earlier and drop the Wolves+Oakenforms from the deck completely. The deck lacks cards in the 3-cost slot (not planning on keeping Oakenform, Sacred Wolf, or Gloomwidow), but the 4x Nature's Lores will frequently bypass that as will dropping a Rancor on a Companion or Tusker on turn 3.

Omg, the deck got spoiled 4 hours ago, and you can't wait only this few hours ???
I wonder that some people believe, that a threadstarter sit 24/7 on this site and push every second F5 to get new infos...

Anyway, i updated the list.

Omg, the deck got spoiled 4 hours ago, and you can't wait only this few hours ???
I wonder thatsome people believe, that a threadstarter sit 24/7 on this site and push every second F5 to get new infos...

Thank you kindly good sir, especially for putting them in ascending CMC order.

Anyway, build I'm contemplating at the moment (assuming 25 Forests)

2 x Kalonian Tusker
[deck]1 Leatherback Baloth
1 Predator Ooze
1 Brawn
2 Cudgel Troll
1 Bellowing Tanglewurm
2 Sentinel Spider
1 Primalcrux
1 Rampaging Baloths
1 Garruk's Horde
1 Regal Force
1 Craterhoof Behemoth

3 Prey Upon[/deck]
1 x Savage Summoning
[deck]4 Nature's Lore
2 Bramblecrush
3 Overrun
1 Overwhelming Stampede

3 Rancor
1 Beastmaster Ascension[/deck]

This deck looks quite powerful. Its aggro tempo looks ridiculous and it is more than prepared to following a beating with a nuclear bomb on a regular basis. Cutting cards from this deck is quite difficult, but I think I've managed to get it down to a decent curve with the ability to constatly drop a threat. Removing stuff like Master of the Wild Hunt, Eternal Witness, Living Hive and Fangren Firstborn are definitely not final, but I'm not sure of what else I could afford to drop. It is going to take quite a lot of playing to get down a final build for this deck.

I wonder that some people believe, that a threadstarter sit 24/7 on this site and push every second F5 to get new infos...

Okay, sorry, I rescind my statement. I didn't realise how short of time it had been since it had been spoiled. Thank you for updating the list.

EDIT: Also, sorry if it sounded impatient or pushy (I can certainly see that now with the inclusion of the word "annoying"), but I only meant it as a general request in case someone had not thought to do it.

"Lif is too short."

Just looked over the deck list again two Eternal Witness o ya nice and 3 Rancor idk about that? I think ill use 1 Rancor and have Brawn as a way of getting Trample for my creatures.
Wurmskin Forger? I'm at the point now where I reckon they put cards like this in on purpose as a form of tutorial, so people can learn to distinguish between good and bad cards and understand mana cost is not a cast iron indicator of power or utility.
@Arqwart

Thanks, i putting the unlocks in order too.

I don't if it "that" strong. It have many stuff for overrun the opponent, but no carddraw and lost many good cards like: Primal Bellow, Lightning Greaves, Primordial Hydra, Chameleon Colossus, Terra Stomper and Howl of the Night Pack.

@djAMPnz

Ok, that's nice that you apologize

I will try this decklist:

24 land:
24x Forest

25 creatures:
3x Garruk's Companion
2x Eternal Witness
3x Kalonian Tusker
2x Sacred Wolf
3x Gloomwidow
1x Leatherback Baloth
1x Predator Ooze
2x Cudgel Troll
1x Fangren Firstborn
1x Master of the Wild Hunt
3x Sentinel Spider
1x Bellowing Tanglewurm
1x Primalcrux
1x Rampaging Baloths

11 other spells:
3x Rancor
1x Revive
1x Beastmaster Ascension
1x Elephant Guide
3x Overrun
1x Overhelming Stampede
1x Primveal Bounty

It don't have very good fatties, it need to win fast: Throw your 2-4 mana creature with Rancor and Overrun against the opponent and hope for the win.

Being fair, at the time it was printed, Wurmskin Forger was still amongst a very small number of cards that permanently added multiple +1/+1 counters. Now that we have XG spells and stuff like Strength of the Tajuru though, it looks admittedly silly.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

I'm of a similar mindset to Red's. Not big on Beastmaster Ascension though. I find it's garbage when my spells are only throwing down one dude at a time causing it to level at a snail's pace. Two to four "overruns" looks like it should be enough, so I'll stick to the actual Overrun and Stampede cards (plus Bellowing Tanglewurm). Running Eternal Witness will sometimes get them back if slamming them in the face for a bunch isn't enough the first time anyways. I'll probably pass over the Revive though. Appreciate having the effect on a creature for a deck like this, so I'm happy with just Eternal Witness.

Not sure how I feel about Sacred Wolf. Nice with Oakenform and Elephant Guide, but overall not feeling it. Though, with Eternal Witness it might be something to consider rolling with an Oakenform/Guide package. If only there wasn't Rancor to make them look not as awesome. I like Elephant Guide enought to give it a shot though.

I'm curious on Regal Force. Might be nice to just have as a way to draw 2-3 cards (average case?), which can help draw more beats or dig a bit for a nice overrun. I wonder if seven mana will feel like too much though. But if going expensive is not a problem, then maybe I should just be looking at the dude  that carries the overrun with him?

I wonder how strong (or bad) Primeval Bounty will turn out. I really can't get a feel for such a card. Potentially really strong in a format like Duels, but the classic approach of dude, dude, overrun might make it clunky/slow. Looks like a nice way to get multiple dudes out for each creature you cast I guess. I think it's cute that you get extra oomph with +1/+1 counters when getting ready to brawl.
I'm of a similar mindset to Red's. Not big on Beastmaster Ascension though. I find it's garbage when my spells are only throwing down one dude at a time causing it to level at a snail's pace. Two to four "overruns" looks like it should be enough, so I'll stick to the actual Overrun and Stampede cards (plus Bellowing Tanglewurm). Running Eternal Witness will sometimes get them back if slamming them in the face for a bunch isn't enough the first time anyways. I'll probably pass over the Revive though. Appreciate having the effect on a creature for a deck like this, so I'm happy with just Eternal Witness.

I agree with these points, except that I will probably run Revive. Getting cards back from the graveyard is like a tutor in reverse, sort of... you know what I mean. The more cards that "get you what you need" the better.

Not sure how I feel about Sacred Wolf. Nice with Oakenform and Elephant Guide, but overall not feeling it. Though, with Eternal Witness it might be something to consider rolling with an Oakenform/Guide package. If only there wasn't Rancor to make them look not as awesome. I like Elephant Guide enought to give it a shot though.

I don't like the idea of an Oakenform on a Sacred Wolf. It smacks to much of a hexproof Craw Wurm that takes up two card slots. I do like Elephant Guide, but there are better targets for it, I reckon.

I'm curious on Regal Force. Might be nice to just have as a way to draw 2-3 cards (average case?), which can help draw more beats or dig a bit for a nice overrun. I wonder if seven mana will feel like too much though. But if going expensive is not a problem, then maybe I should just be looking at the dude that carries the overrun with him?

I think Regal Force could be worth it. He's expensive, but this is a green deck with some ramp. It does seem like it would need to be tested though. I will definitely be running Craterhoof Behemoth though, just for simple fact that he's fun.

I wonder how strong (or bad) Primeval Bounty will turn out. I really can't get a feel for such a card. Potentially really strong in a format like Duels, but the classic approach of dude, dude, overrun might make it clunky/slow. Looks like a nice way to get multiple dudes out for each creature you cast I guess. I think it's cute that you get extra oomph with +1/+1 counters when getting ready to brawl.

I like Primeval Bounty for the same reasons I like Craterhoof Behemoth. Fun. Hehe.

"Lif is too short."

I agree with these points, except that I will probably run Revive. Getting cards back from the graveyard is like a tutor in reverse, sort of... you know what I mean. The more cards that "get you what you need" the better.

Although, we'll need useful cards in the graveyard to have an effective "tutor", otherwise it's just reusing early game cards that may have lost their relevance. I feel the average Regrowth isn't going to be amazing here because how the deck operates. What's the most common cards you'll pull early for a typical game? Prey Upon, Nature's Lore, Tusker, maybe a nice 3-4 drop beater if we're heading to the midgame? So, Revive really shines later so you have more options, but at least Eternal Witness gives that 2/1 body as well.

Not that you couldn't run the card, but I'm just not sure an aggressive deck wants to load up on Regrowth effects in the first place, and I think it's going to prefer the copies that come with a dude before wanting to run the spell version. My gut says two seems like a fine number for this type of effect in this deck, but I'll at least acknowledge Revive exists in case I'd ever need more. Who knows, maybe being a single mana cheaper might be important.

I don't like the idea of an Oakenform on a Sacred Wolf. It smacks to much of a hexproof Craw Wurm that takes up two card slots. I do like Elephant Guide, but there are better targets for it, I reckon.

Yeah, I never really liked that 1 toughness on the Wolf. I'm still curious about pairing them on the Tuskers and Companions though. An early 6/6(5) can be scary, and we have the Revive and Witness to help ease the blows dealt by removal sometimes.

Of course, now that I think about it. I was going to make a comment about how a ton of removal gets past "dying" this game. Path, O-ring, Hallowed Burial, Final Judgment, Disintegrate, Fiend Hunter, the various enchantment based removal, bounce, etc. Elephant Guide may very well play out like another Oakenform most of the time. Oh well.

I think Regal Force could be worth it. He's expensive, but this is a green deck with some ramp. It does seem like it would need to be tested though. I will definitely be running Craterhoof Behemoth though, just for simple fact that he's fun.

Yeah, I only really worry if I'll win (or lose) before I'm casting them for any sort of value. Where's the fun in not getting to play them even if they're in the deck, right?

Excited to test them though, much like with testing Primeval Bounty.
This deck seems like fine green beats and will be pretty fun to play, but I'm a little dissapointed in the large number of reused cards from earlier duels, feels a bit like best of green instead of a new deck. But whatever, will bash face with it anyways. And Primeval Bounty is awesome 
This deck seems like fine green beats and will be pretty fun to play, but I'm a little dissapointed in the large number of reused cards from earlier duels, feels a bit like best of green instead of a new deck. But whatever, will bash face with it anyways. And Primeval Bounty is awesome 

That's what's annoying to me now about Duels. Instead of adding newer cards they just rehash old ones again and again. I don't mind using cards that are old and have never been in any of the Duels but please don't add the same ones most of the time over and over /rant.

That's what's annoying to me now about Duels. Instead of adding newer cards they just rehash old ones again and again. I don't mind using cards that are old and have never been in any of the Duels but please don't add the same ones most of the time over and over /rant.

I think it's mostly fine as long as they create new ways for the decks to play (FW being a good example here), but this Garruk deck just seems like it has more reused cards than the others and doesn't really bring a lot of new stuff to the table. It's still just about getting your dudes down, smashing with them and winning with a big play.

Don't think it's a big problem though, as it's the only deck I'm really down on out of all the decks shown. 

I think it's mostly fine as long as they create new ways for the decks to play (FW being a good example here), but this Garruk deck just seems like it has more reused cards than the others and doesn't really bring a lot of new stuff to the table. It's still just about getting your dudes down, smashing with them and winning with a big play.

Don't think it's a big problem though, as it's the only deck I'm really down on out of all the decks shown. 

I'm down on Chandras, Ajani and Dimir

I'm down on Chandras, Ajani and Dimir

I think Ajani and Chandra's will be good decks (but I guess some people just hate aura decks), like in they'll certainly not be underpowered. Dimir might take some work but I could see it being fine in the hands of a good player, like MS was it last game.
It feels kinda like the token deck and the green deck from last game, though missing some of my favorites, I agree Brodo, beast master is great if cards like avenger of zendikar, howl of the night pack or even wolfbriar elemental were in the deck but there isnt so its sad Frown