Magic 2014 "Hunter's Strength" Decklist and Strategies

737 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bounty is bonkers, I'd run three if I could. Primalcrux, on the other hand, is just a dude; very underwhelming here.

This is my final build for "Overgreen" deck:

My actual score is 17/7 and finally I have in my carnet 2 wins against the hated AG deck.

After many considerations, I prefer to put in 1xRampaging Baloths & 1xPrimeval Bounty.

Primeval bounty has a great synergy with every card (especially Rancor or Eternal Witness), Rampaging Baloths can guarantee some field advantage.

I've found some space to put in 2xBamblecrush, in this manner the deck has a wider spectrum of choice, it's less powerful but more versatile.

At now I don't insert Master of Hunt, it seems to me a bit slow card. It has a great ability but I have to tap it and all wolves to use it, so it doesn't match very well with the main purpose of the deck (3 creatures in fifth turn buffed with Overrun or Overwhelming Stampede).

Now I'm working for a variant build that have in common Overwhelming Stampede and almost all the creatures, but without 3xOverrun-2xRancor-2xBamblecrush and with 3xEnlarge-2xOakenform-1xElephant Guide-2xHunt the weak, trying to play less creatures but with higher stats.

Last and final variant will be a third deck filled with all Nature's Lore and at least Living Hive and Terastadon, maybe Beastmaster Ascension+Staff of the Wild Magus but I'm very far to find the right mix.

I'm not even going to comment on the specifics of your build (though, when this deck become so popular all of the sudden???), but I AM going to comment on your meaningless win/loss posting as justification that your build "works". It doesn't mean anything in the world of Duels, aside from making fun of people like Hakeem.

17 and 7? I tell you what. You play this build against me 24 times, I'll pick Random every single time, and we'll see how things go. If I destroy you, then what? You declare your build a failure? You destroy me? Well, that would be a first. I always wondered what my own words tasted like. 

Anyways, whatever man. Leave the statmongering at home. It's not relevant. 

mobiuschickenstrips wrote:

I'm not even going to comment on the specifics of your build (though, when this deck become so popular all of the sudden???), but I AM going to comment on your meaningless win/loss posting as justification that your build "works". It doesn't mean anything in the world of Duels, aside from making fun of people like Hakeem.

17 and 7? I tell you what. You play this build against me 24 times, I'll pick Random every single time, and we'll see how things go. If I destroy you, then what? You declare your build a failure? You destroy me? Well, that would be a first. I always wondered what my own words tasted like.

Anyways, whatever man. Leave the statmongering at home. It's not relevant.

???

I don't understand what you say (especially this sentence:  "though, when this deck become so popular all of the sudden???" and this: "Well, that would be a first. I always wondered what my own words tasted like ") but, as I said, I've poor knowledge of english, altough I understand the general sense of your delirious outburst.

The win/loss rating is the simplest, quantitative indicator of how the deck has worked in the last matches, I don't understand your problem with that.

Anyways, whatever man. Don't leave the good manners at home. It's relevant.

My impression of KFC:

My actual score is 17/7

"This is so important to me; let me write 100+ words to explain why including these 5 words in any post is completely and utterly ridiculous!" "You're all ****ing amateurs!"

GraciousEel761 wrote:

My impression of KFC:

My actual score is 17/7

"This is so important to me; let me write 100+ words to explain why including these 5 words in any post is completely and utterly ridiculous!" "You're all ****ing amateurs!"

Sure, I'm amateur, this is the reason I'm asking for help in this post.  Your reply doesn't help me much.

I honestly don't understand why is a shame mentioniong  own score, maybe there is magic player etiquette to follow that I don't know?  Please enlighten me.

Fosforo wrote:

GraciousEel761 wrote:

My impression of KFC:

My actual score is 17/7

Sure, I'm amateur, this is the reason I'm asking for help in this post.  Your reply doesn't help me much.

I honestly don't understand why is a shame mentioniong  own score, maybe there is magic player etiquette to follow that I don't know?  Please enlighten me.

He was poking fun at mobius chicken not actually calling you an amatuer. In response to posting your score it has nothing to do with etiquette just kind of meaningless given the wide range of player skill levels in this game

Steam Name: Yertle{U}The{B}Turtle

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/YertleTheMFnTurtle

New Forum: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

ok, thanks for clarification

After many attempts, I find the right way to design a Hunter's Strength variant focused on winning in fifth/sixth turn.

Overgreen (V3.1)

Deck analysis (sorted by mana cost):

1 CMC:

The idea behind this deck is to clear the opponent's field in the early phase of the game and to win the game in the middle phase, playing Overrun/Enlarge/Overwhelming Stapede in the right moment. To do this, I put 4xPrey Upon and 2xRancor. The first one grants me the chance of removing a great majority of opponent creatures, without any trade-off due to the very high toughness of the green creatures. For example the combo Kalonian Tusker (2 mana) played with a Prey Upon (1 mana) in the third turn can easily knock down a big percentage of the 3 CMC creatures available in the game.

Rancor is a very versatile card, excellent on Predator Ooze, to accelerate its growning process and with the nice touch of trample, and higly "comboable" with Overwhelming Stampede (+2 power for all creatures involved in the attack).

Obviously, Green Sun's Zenith is a must-to-have in this deck; I won many games against not green deck, searching and playing in the sixth turn the almost unstoppable Bellowing Tanglewurm, but is very useful to search and play Predator Ooze against red and black deck. Therefore, this card has high sinergy with Eternal Witness, allowing the recovery of precious card lik Prey Upon from the graveyard with a total cost of 4 forests.

No space for Savage Summoning, that I consider ouf of the scope respect the focus of this build.

2 CMC:

Considering 4xPrey Upon and 2xHunt the weak, I need though creatures to handle the "damage trade" in the first turns, so 3 toughness of Kalonian Tusker is excellent.

For this build, it's very important to cast as many creatures as possible in the early phase of the game, so I put in all the creatures available with a cost of two mana, regardless of real strength, so I put in Fauna Shaman too. After many attempts, I've removed any Nature's Lore and Revive. The second one is a duplicate of the ability of Eternal Witness, the first one is a great card but is out of the scope in this build focused on winning in the middle phase of the game and forced to cast as many creatures as possible.

3 CMC:

Eternal Witness is an exception for this deck: very weak stats but a very useful ability, so I put 2 copies of it.

Unlike what I read in other topics, I consider Gloomwidow a decent card: its reach ability is fundamental for this deck, vulnerable against flying creatures, but is a useful cannon fodder with its solid 3/3 to trade damage with PreyUpon, so I put 3 copies of it.

Predator Ooze and Leatherback Baloth are mandatory card; the first one can be a determinant winning factor against "not full of removal effect" decks; the second one has monstrous stats and it's perfect for PreyUpon or Hunt of the Weak usage, being able to kill opponent's bigger creatures.

Elephant Guide is a nice addition: 3/3 is a relevant bonus that becomes explosive with an Enlarge card played after it or just with a a Rancor, but the ability to cast an 3/3 Elephant token in case of the enanched creatures dies, is absolutely valuable in this type of build, because it allows to maintain costant the number of creatures casted and disposed in the field.

I've some doubt about Pulse of Tangle, but I nedd creatures, so I put it in.

I don't use/I don't like Sacred Wolf: 1 thoughness makes it useless to trade damage and frustrates the Hexproof property, so 0 copies for me. Beastmaster ascension is a intriguing card, I've tried to use it many times but I surrendered.

Oakenform is a waste of space, because is preferable to cast one more creature of 3 mana cost (Gloomwidow just for example) than to potentiate an already casted creatures (especially considering the high percentage of removal card in the metagame).

Probably is my limit, but I can't imagine a use for Staff of Wild Magus, so 0 is the right number for me.

4 CMC:

First assumption: no Master of Hunt! Why? Simple: is a very slow card, with a stats above the average. It can start to act in the fifth turn, but its ability requires tapping, so is incompatible with the massive attack that I plan for the fifth turn.

My ideal choice for the fourth turn is Fangren Firstborn, breakable but deadly with an Overrun or an Overwhelming Stampede but I start to appreciate also  Cudged Troll, especially in combo with a Predator Ooze to deploy a "infantry line" of a nearly indestructible troop.

In the absence of 4 CMC creature to cast, I can play a 2/3 CMC creature in combo with a Prey Upon or a Rancor to mantain the field control.

As a desperate move, If I can't cast any creature in the fourth turn, I can play a Hunt the Weak to kill an opponent's creature and to mantain a predominance, opening space in the opponent's rank to exploit in the following and decisive turn.

I don't use Bamblecrush because is too expensive and limited; I don't use Brawn too, because is ability is quite useless in this deck that doesn't suffer of any Trample lack.

5 CMC:

2xOverrun, 2xEnlarge, 1x Overwhelming stampede = almost 70% of chance to draw one of them in the fifth turn to close the game (73% in the sixth turn).

In my previous build, I used only 3xOverrun/1xOverwhelming Stampede, but now I'm sure that +2 Enlarge/+2 Overrun is the right mix.

Enlarge is ideal for game against black/white deck, in which is very probable to reach the fifth turn only with one or two creatures, so the Overrun card will have a very limited effect.

If I can't play any sorceries, I try to put in game one of those powerful creatures: Bellowing Tanglewurm or Vorapede. Both of them are very strong, especially the first one that can easily allow the win against not green deck.

No space for Sentinel Spider (I prefer Gloomwidow, same ability less cost).

6 CMC:

Only Primalcrux for me, due to its very high compatibility with this build, focused to cast as many crearures as possible, and especially for its amazing sinergy with Overwhelming Stampede.

I tried and removed Primeval Bounty + Rampaging Baloths combo (very powerful, but too slow for this deck) and I don't find any valid use for Vigor, theorically great for its ability but too defensive for this deck.

7 and above CMC:

Great cards like Terastadon or Living Hive or Protean Hulk, but very far from the philosophy of this build, designed to close the game in the first 5-6 turns and with only 24 forests.

Ideal Game

Turn 1:

Turn 2: Kalonian Tusker or Companion's Garruk

Turn 3: Leatherback baloth or Kalonian Tusker/Companion's Garruck+PreyUpon

Turn 4: Fangren Firstborn or Cudgel Troll or any other creature CMC<4 with Rancor or PreyUpon or Eternal Witness to recover and cast a Prey Upon or two 2 mana cost creature togheter

Turn 5: Overwhelming Stampede for about 25 damage with trample {or Overrun for a bit less damage -about 20 - or Enlarge if creatoures count in play is less than three)

-------------------if you not win in the fifth turn:

Turn 6: Primalcruz or Bellowing Tanglewurm tutored by Green Sun's Zenith

Turn 7: pray for a painless end, you have no more chance to win...

Here is my take on this deck and currently im satisfied with its overall

performance. So here we go:

Hunters Strength

60 card deck

Main cards

Unlocks

1. Master of the Wild Hunt
  2. Revive
  3. 2 x Rancor
  4. Overrun
  5. Leatherback Baloth
  6. 2 x Eternal Witness
  7. Predator Ooze
  8. 2 x Rampaging Baloths
  9. Brawn
  10. Overwhelming Stamped

Promo Unlocks

1. Fauna Shaman
  2. Vigor
  3. Green Sun's Zenith
  4. Vorapede

Thoughts?

P.s. How can i make card images appear? Thanks!

GOD TIER...";(
"Dpad Fighter Forever"

"Thoughts?"

I play it like Fosforo, trying to win thanks to overrun/ enlarge but your build looks good too.

With 2 Baloths and Primeval bounty I would probably play 1 more land and 4 nature's lore to ramp faster and make them better (instead of brawn and 2 little creatures).

"P.s. How can i make card images appear? Thanks"

1) (c)name(/c) . It's [ ] and not ( )

or

2) you can go here http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38 , it's easier to use and most people went to this site.

SK1LL wrote:

Here is my take on this deck and currently im satisfied with its overall

performance. So here we go:

Hunters Strength

60 card deck

Main cards

Unlocks

1. Master of the Wild Hunt
  2. Revive
  3. 2 x Rancor
  4. Overrun
  5. Leatherback Baloth
  6. 2 x Eternal Witness
  7. Predator Ooze
  8. 2 x Rampaging Baloths
  9. Brawn
  10. Overwhelming Stamped

Promo Unlocks

1. Fauna Shaman
  2. Vigor
  3. Green Sun's Zenith
  4. Vorapede

Thoughts?

P.s. How can i make card images appear? Thanks!

Your build is less or more very similar to my previous build, but I've noticed that you don't use Bellowing Tanglewurm, that for me is a fundamental card, that allowed me to win matches already compromised, reversing the situation.

As I said in my post above, using only 3xOverrun is not enough. There are many situations, especially against some deck, in which Enlarge is more efficient than Overrun (basically Overrun is better with 3 or more creatures in play otherwise Enlarge is preferable also because for its tactical advantage of forcing the block to the opponent), so I'm persuaded that the right mix is 1X Overwhelming Stampede + 2xOverrun + 2xEnlarge, that for your build equals to -1 Overrun +2 Enlarge and maybe -1 Brawn to make room for the second copy of Enlarge. Probably 23 lands for four card  with 6 mana cost are few, maybe 24 would be better.

At now,  with my Overgreen build I suffer particularly only Avacyn's Glory, against which my tactic of gain field dominance, surrounding opponent's creatures with mine is totally useless, but I'm now resigned to this and when I face a strong player with Avacyn's Glory deck, in the second game I switch for Deadwalkers deck to rebalance the chances of winning.

I went down to one overrun and stampede in exchange for another rancor. I really think rancoring (not sure if that is a word) a tusker or companion and swinging for 1/4 of your opponents life total is exactly what this deck wants to be doing. Not to mention you can recast it on things like predator ooze and cudgel troll to make fierce bombs. Anyone who isnt running 3 rancor needs to rethink this ASAP. Took enlarge out but it was indeed a tough cut. I love what that card brings to the table but HS needs as many creatures as possible and if im going for heavy creatures then overrun is the card to have.

Add me on Ps3 HellzonianG

Hellzonian wrote:

I went down to one overrun and stampede in exchange for another rancor. I really think rancoring (not sure if that is a word) a tusker or companion and swinging for 1/4 of your opponents life total is exactly what this deck wants to be doing. Not to mention you can recast it on things like predator ooze and cudgel troll to make fierce bombs. Anyone who isnt running 3 rancor needs to rethink this ASAP. Took enlarge out but it was indeed a tough cut. I love what that card brings to the table but HS needs as many creatures as possible and if im going for heavy creatures then overrun is the card to have.

Interesting point, can you post your build? How many CMC >= 6 do you use?

Sure!  I'm Currently running something like this....

Lets Fight!

20 Creatures 16 Other 25 Land

3xRancor

1x Green sun zenith

3xPrey upon

1x Fauna Shaman

3xKalonian Tusker

3x Garruks companion

1x Revive

2x Natures Lore

1x Predator Ooze

2x Eternal Witness

1X Leatherback Baloth

1x Pulse of the tangle

1x Master of the wild hunt

1x Fangren firstborn

2x Cudgel Troll

2x Hunt the weak

1x Vorapede

1x Bellowig Tanglewurm

1xOverrun

1x Overwhelming Stampede

2x Rampaging Baloths

1X Vigor

1x Primevil Bounty

Super Synopsis

This build pretty much uses Garruks fight/trample ability to its full potential. After one rancor cudgel troll is powerful enough to take down alot of the scary big creatures in the meta and live to tell the tale. More rancors pretty much gives me the option to either spread the love and trample over my enemy or make one huge dude and go in for huge damage or a 2 for one. Not to mention that 3 rancors really lets you get the most value out of your eternal witness as 2 rancors turn her into a pretty nasty suicide bomb.  I often find myself doing the eternal witness revive combo for consistant 4 to 6 to the face plus whatever creature swings with her, 

Why Hunt the Weak??

I decided to include hunt the weak because i really do think most matchups favor that card. Sure bramblecrush is the only way to stop some of ajanis combos but lets be real this is HS. You will rarely stop ajani by bramblecrushing (there i go making words again) ONE aura. With that being said if im playing a tournament with someone i have the option to sideboard it in but i rarely do. I really feel like it just doesnt fit the deck. I want to be dropping a guy or putting pressure on my opponent and bramble rarely does that. Hunt the weak adds extra counters which has really proved invalueable in this deck effectively taking my creatures out of burn range or making me just strong enough to not be walled or even ko my opponent. It also is pretty much a death sentence when primevil bounty is on the board giving 4 counters to one guy or 3 to one and 1 to another.

6 Drop and Land info

Rampaging Baloths is pretty much this decks "plan b" as they provide exellent card advantage and combo quite well with primevil bounty. Vigor ends games... period. Im running 25 lands and 2 natures lore because this deck MUST play a land every turn. I dont mind hardplaying my lands because the baloths arnt really my main win condition and ramping is a bonus.

My personal thoughts about this build

I really want to find a way to add the fourth prey upon. Having 6 removal cards sounds pretty solid to me. I really do feel like my build leans more towards enlarge as it gives me even more ways to remove creatures from the board. Im still testing both enlarge vs overrun.

I hope someone found this helpful. Feel free to comment on my build as i am always open for suggestion.

Add me on Ps3 HellzonianG

Here is mine:

24 Forest

I used to have Overrun but took them out... yet I still have Overwhelming Stampede. I'm sure there was a reason for it.

The deck doesn't have a ton of creatures, so Overrun is often a +3/+3 boost to only one or two creatures. With Overwhelming Stampede the boost can be more than +3/+3, especially if a creature is enchanted with Rancor or Oakenform.

Maybe I should put Hunt the Weak in. I'd take out 1 Overwhelming Stampede, and, I dunno, 1 Revive, or a Forest.

Sign In to post comments