Magic 2014 "Hunter's Strength" Decklist and Strategies

737 posts / 0 new
Last post

The point is that when you mullgan, your number of playable hands significantly decreases each time.  Yes you get a free mulligan in this game and I encourage you to use it.  However, when your hand size goes down, your hands become less playable period.  Sometimes.... it is worth it.  But planning to have to mulligan is a bad thing.  The only time I ever saw it work as a viable strategy involved pack rat in limited.

2 + 2 = fish

puzzledmint wrote:

 

Shadowcran wrote:

I appreciate the feedback and time spent doing so. I went on a search while waiting. I found around 50% say use 20 lands or 33 1/3%. 45% say 22, and around 4 1/2% say 24.

 

many suggest for weenie decks to use less than 20. some say 23, but always suggest just using that to start with and going one way or the other.

 

But is that advice geared specifically towards DotP 2014, or is it meant for formats that have nonbasic lands?

 

Even tournament-level Modern decks with mana curves that peak at 5 and have access to things like the Zendikar fetches and Ravnica shocklands still run up to 24 lands.

 

All different formats.

 

I don't agree with the 20 lands, except in Mind Maze and Deadwalkers where I get flooded if I go 1 over that...every single time..22 lands in most builds seems fine except if you go different ways.

 

Take Lords of Darkness. If you don't run any of the early creatures, or only soot imps, you're relying on steady mana to get to the big demons. For that, you need 24. If you run, let's say 8, early creatures, you can shift to 22.

 

I experiment a lot. Playtest a megaton. I've the free time to do it as witness my card testing thread. Mana has been the biggest of the experiments. I'm pretty set in them now but only with trial and error....lots of trial and error.

 

Also, to pay you back for being good about providing feedback, pick a factor you'd like to test, but don't have the free time for. I'll do it.

 

 

 

 

@shadowcran, I want to know what is the highest number of lands you can viably run next to cards like exploration and oracle of mul daya in a 60 card deck.

 

Also, what is your deck after changes?

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

@shadowcran, I want to know what is the highest number of lands you can viably run next to cards like exploration and oracle of mul daya in a 60 card deck.

 

Also, what is your deck after changes?

 

22 lands, plus the Eye of Ugin.  all ramp except only 2 Khalni Expedition. No exploration, No into the Wilds. 2 Oracles. It wins....too easily and is boring to play now. I have a hard time even looking at the deck again. Since Primetime can be counted as Ramp, I run only 2 of them.

 

I replaced the Garruk's Companions with Kalonian Tusker..that's it for HS build as per advice given. I like them better, so thanks to all who suggested it.

 

**As to wins too easily, that includes opposing Mul Daya. While they're still dropping/drawing lands, I'm beating them down. Also, my deck is thinned down very fast and I'm only drawing spells/killers.

 

 

 

 

shadow................ no.  I don 't know what kind of luck you have, but the fates have been kind to you.  22 lands is not enough, as it frequently leads to starting with 4 cards in hand and/or never getting a second land.  This is from testing, not my opinion.

2 + 2 = fish

I've done all the promotional unlocks on my Android tablet, but Fauna Shaman is not appearing in the deck manager. Any thoughts on how to get it?

This my HS build, with a decent win/loss ratio (except againts AG):

 

Primeval Lore

23 Land/16 Spells/21 Creatures

 






























 

I've some doubt about Nature's Lore and Primeval Bounty, though this latter has great synergy with Rampaging Baloths-Rancor-Prey Upon-Eternal Witness and Pulse of Tangle.

My ideal match is:

T1 - nothing

T2 - Kalonian Tusker

T3 - second Kalonian Tusker + Rancor or Leatherback Baloth

T4 - Fangren Fistborn

T4 - Overwhelming Stampede

with a total power of 25-28 with trample, that becomes 28-31 with fangren Fistborn ability.

 

Please post me your suggestions.

Then, I've made some test about a HS variant deck, based upon a different philosophy from classic "aggro".

I'd like to design a "delay-deck" that uses Nature'S Lore and Staff of wild mages to resist some turns, waiting for big-guns like Living Hive and with a better exploitation of Primeval Bounty.

At now my test are poorly failed, so I ask better players than me for a little help/example to build an HS "ramp/delay" variant.

 

Fosforo

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fosforo wrote:

This my HS build, with a decent win/loss ratio (except againts AG):

 

Primeval Lore

23 Land/16 Spells/21 Creatures

 

 

 

I've some doubt about Nature's Lore and Primeval Bounty, though this latter has great synergy with Rampaging Baloths-Rancor-Prey Upon-Eternal Witness and Pulse of Tangle.

My ideal match is:

T1 - nothing

T2 - Kalonian Tusker

T3 - second Kalonian Tusker + Rancor or Leatherback Baloth

T4 - Fangren Fistborn

T4 - Overwhelming Stampede

with a total power of 25-28 with trample, that becomes 28-31 with fangren Fistborn ability.

 

Please post me your suggestions.

Then, I've made some test about a HS variant deck, based upon a different philosophy from classic "aggro".

I'd like to design a "delay-deck" that uses Nature'S Lore and Staff of wild mages to resist some turns, waiting for big-guns like Living Hive and with a better exploitation of Primeval Bounty.

At now my test are poorly failed, so I ask better players than me for a little help/example to build an HS "ramp/delay" variant.

 

Fosforo

 

Is that Donald Duck?  If so awesome.

 

-2 sacred wolf:  These dudes just aren't worth it.

+2 cudgel troll: These should replace the wolves.  Not only can their 4 power can most of the creatures in the meta, but it's basically one mana to save these guys from anything.

 

On your actual spells, I say that both bramblecrush and oakenform are 0 or 2 propositons.  Crush specifically as a one of just doesn't make good sense in this deck.  Maybe the 2 mana recursion card or the other copy of the second in place of one of them?

 

The other suggestion I have would be:

-1 enlarge

+! overrun

 

If you are going to run these, overrun does more work most of the time.

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

 

...

Is that Donald Duck?  If so awesome.

 

-2 sacred wolf:  These dudes just aren't worth it.

+2 cudgel troll: These should replace the wolves.  Not only can their 4 power can most of the creatures in the meta, but it's basically one mana to save these guys from anything.

 

On your actual spells, I say that both bramblecrush and oakenform are 0 or 2 propositons.  Crush specifically as a one of just doesn't make good sense in this deck.  Maybe the 2 mana recursion card or the other copy of the second in place of one of them?

 

The other suggestion I have would be:

-1 enlarge

+! overrun

 

If you are going to run these, overrun does more work most of the time.

 

Not exactly, it is Gladstone Gander, the lucky cousin of Donald Duck , created by Barks.

About your interesting suggestions, I thank you.

 

Regarding 1 copy of Babmlecrush/Oakenform, you're right but sometimes with Eternal Witness  I have had the opportunity to play in a recursive way the only one copy of Bamblecrush but now I'll try to exchange Oakenform with Revive to maximize the "recursive" tactic.

 

I totally agree with "-1 enlarge/+1 overrun" suggestion, I'll fix it immediately.

 

Moreover, I'm thinking about removing all actual 6 CMC (primalcrux, rampaging baloth, primeval bounty), so I have space to put in the two cudgel troll, as you suggest, and a different one 6-mana creature (I'm undecided between Protean Hulk or Vigor). The purpose of this deck is winning in the fifth/sixt turn playing a lot of creature, so 2xCudged Troll will be a nice addition.

 

About Sacred Wolf, I don't like it so much, but If I remove the three 6 mana cost cards, as mentioned above, I have enough room to keep both of them in the deck; sometimes I had interesting synergy between Master of Hunt and Sacred Wolves and Hexproof (with a little help of Oakenform/Elephant guide) is a nice addition against Black or White Deck.

 

Any example of a "no-aggro" HS deck? Is there any player that runs a successful deck with Terastodon or Living Hive?

Thanks,

Fosforo

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I've been running a "lets fight!" style of the deck cutting the bramblecrush and adding hunt the weak. Dont get me wrong, bramblecrush has cut a very cool niche for garruk but i'd rather keep it up front and beastly. Also went down to two nature lores for  1 stampede 1 overrun and 2 enlarge to make sure Im throwing a K.O blow or close to it on turn 5.

Add me on Ps3 HellzonianG

My apporach is similar to Hellzonian's; I run a 26-land, 4-lore HS which isn't aggro in the slightest. Generally I feel like HS's early game is bad enough for trading to not be worth it against most decks, but it has a surprising amount of utility later on, so I just wait until I can fix what I need and alpha strike. Usually that means Bellowing Tanglewurm or Overrun/Overwhelming Stampede. It's not incredibly consistent or anything, but hey, it's HS. It's definitely been one of the more interesting decks to build and there are always alternatives to try out.

psuedonym_sic wrote:

My apporach is similar to Hellzonian's; I run a 26-land, 4-lore HS which isn't aggro in the slightest. Generally I feel like HS's early game is bad enough for trading to not be worth it against most decks, but it has a surprising amount of utility later on, so I just wait until I can fix what I need and alpha strike. Usually that means Bellowing Tanglewurm or Overrun/Overwhelming Stampede. It's not incredibly consistent or anything, but hey, it's HS. It's definitely been one of the more interesting decks to build and there are always alternatives to try out.

 

So 26 land + 4 nature's lore? It's a lot of forest.

What creatues >= 5 mana do you use?

Can you post your whole deck?

Sure. I'm sure I'm gonna get called insane for some of these cuts/choices, but it seems to work for me.

 
























 

Some of these are untested; I took Rampaging Baloths out recently, and I dunno about the Fangren in this build as it's not like I attack much, and I've only been able to use the Craterhoof once so far. As I said, lots of potential tweaking to be done.

 

If you draw land and run out of plays, that's when you start using the recursion suite. Not before, unless it's really urgent. Helps you keep a bit of tempo going.

I think Garruk must have a manic-depressive behavior. In 2009, his deck was powerful. In 2012, his deck was weak. In 2013, his deck was very good. In 2014, his deck again was weak. So when he is depressive his deck follow his humor and it is weak, when he is manic, his deck is good. And he changes his state every year.

 

The good news is his deck will probably be good next year.

The best creatures at 5 mana are vorapede and bellowing tanglewurm.  The insect has trample, vigilance, and undying with 5 power.....   Tanglewurm basically makes all your dudes unblockable versus 8X % of decks in the game.

The best creatures at 6 mana are primalcrux, vigor, and rampaging baloths.  primalcrux gets stupidly big, vigor[ basically makes everything that is not vigor almost impossible to kill, and rampaging baloths is 6/6 with trample and a really good ability.

After that, the best creatures left are garruk's horde and craterhoof behemoht.  The horde dude lets you start playing multiple cards off the top of your deck some turns, while the behemoth buffs all your dudes, normally more than overrun but less than stampede.  Both are good........ but I think they are a little expensive.

 

terastodon is a little too big for this deck when its ability is so situational, while living hive doesn't have a good enough effect ot justify its mana cost, because in this meta it can't really start spawning any tokens without a rancor.  Even if you are killing your own lands for tokens, terastodon can't really be justified in terms of what it is.

2 + 2 = fish

for adults only

 

25 x Forest

1 x Green Sun's Zenith

3 x Prey Upon

1 x Revive

3 x Kalonian Tusker

3 x Garruk's Companion

1 x Fauna Shaman

1 x Elephant Guide

1 x Pulse of the Tangle

1 x Predator Ooze

2 x Eternal Witness

1 x Leatherback Baloth

2x Hunt the Weak

1 x Master of the Wild Hunt

1 x Fangren Firstborn

2 x Cudgel Troll

1 x Brawn

1 x Overwhelming Stampede

3 x Overrun

3 x Enlarge

1 x Vorapede

1 x Bellowing Tanglewurm

1 x Vigor

 

So the strategy of this build...

I'm kidding, I won't explain what to do with that

mjack33 wrote:

..., vigor[ basically makes everything that is not vigor almost impossible to kill, and rampaging baloths is 6/6 with trample and a really good ability.

 

I'd like Vigor very much, but a "Path to exile" or similar is enough to get rid of it. Considering that there are a lot of removal in stronger Decks, Vigor is a predestined target, so I don't use it anymore.

psuedonym_sic wrote:

Sure. I'm sure I'm gonna get called insane for some of these cuts/choices, but it seems to work for me.

 

 

 

Some of these are untested; I took Rampaging Baloths out recently, and I dunno about the Fangren in this build as it's not like I attack much, and I've only been able to use the Craterhoof once so far. As I said, lots of potential tweaking to be done.

 

If you draw land and run out of plays, that's when you start using the recursion suite. Not before, unless it's really urgent. Helps you keep a bit of tempo going.

 

Thanks, I'll try it. Brawn is a nice addition, considering that you don't use any Rancor/Rampaging Baloths.

1 x Overwhelming Stampede

3 x Overrun

3 x Enlarge

2 x Hunt the Weak

 

it's a bit risky but probably is the right choice for this deck to maximize the chance to win in the fifth/sixth turn. I'll try this build too.

 

Taking out a target, at least in a deck this creature heavy, because you are afraid they will remove it is kind of ....... bad.

 

Because after 4cmc, every single thing you own is a target, and removing one and not the others becuase it "dies to removal" makes no sense.

2 + 2 = fish

Sacade wrote:

for adults only

 

25 x Forest

1 x Green Sun's Zenith

3 x Prey Upon

3 x Kalonian Tusker

3 x Garruk's Companion

1 x Fauna Shaman

1 x Elephant Guide

1 x Pulse of the Tangle

1 x Predator Ooze

2 x Eternal Witness

1 x Leatherback Baloth

2x Hunt the Weak

1 x Master of the Wild Hunt

1 x Fangren Firstborn

2 x Cudgel Troll

1 x Brawn

1 x Overwhelming Stampede

3 x Overrun

3 x Enlarge

1 x Vorapede

1 x Bellowing Tanglewurm

1 x Vigor

 

So the strategy of this build...

I'm kidding, I won't explain what to do with that

 

You know what sucks about this build, there are 13 one-of's. That means it's going to have consistancy issues. I'm not saying you suck, don't get me wrong here. I've had a build like this before, but I took out a lot of the one-of's because they destroy consistency. For example, Master of the Wild Hunt. It's not a bad card, I've won and lost games to this card. But it is slow, can be hard to use and is not consistent. I took it out of my most recent build. If you are interested, I could post mine to compare. Overall, you've got most of the integral cards that must be included. So you're build is ok, I can't say its bad.

GraciousEel761 wrote:

 

Sacade wrote:

for adults only

 

25 x Forest

1 x Green Sun's Zenith

3 x Prey Upon

3 x Kalonian Tusker

3 x Garruk's Companion

1 x Fauna Shaman

1 x Elephant Guide

1 x Pulse of the Tangle

1 x Predator Ooze

2 x Eternal Witness

1 x Leatherback Baloth

2x Hunt the Weak

1 x Master of the Wild Hunt

1 x Fangren Firstborn

2 x Cudgel Troll

1 x Brawn

1 x Overwhelming Stampede

3 x Overrun

3 x Enlarge

1 x Vorapede

1 x Bellowing Tanglewurm

1 x Vigor

 

So the strategy of this build...

I'm kidding, I won't explain what to do with that

 

 

You know what sucks about this build, there are 13 one-of's. That means it's going to have consistancy issues. I'm not saying you suck, don't get me wrong here. I've had a build like this before, but I took out a lot of the one-of's because they destroy consistency. For example, Master of the Wild Hunt. It's not a bad card, I've won and lost games to this card. But it is slow, can be hard to use and is not consistent. I took it out of my most recent build. If you are interested, I could post mine to compare. Overall, you've got most of the integral cards that must be included. So you're build is ok, I can't say its bad.

 

Please post your deck. Sorry for my ignorance but in english is not my language and I don't know very well the "magic slang", what is a "one-of's" card?

 

Fosforo wrote:

what is a "one-of's" card?

 

A one-of is a card that your deck only has one of.

24x  Forest

3x Rancor

1x Green Sun's Zenith

1x Fauna Shaman

3x Kalonian Tusker

1x Revive

4x Nature's Lore

1x Predator Ooze

2x Eternal Witness

1x Leatherback Baloth

2x Spirit Wolf

1x Elephant Guide

1x Pulse of the Wild

1x Fangren Firstborn

2x Cudgel Troll

1x Brawn

3x Bramblecrush

2x Hunt the Weak

1x Vorapede

1x Bellowing Tanglewurm

1x Overwhelming Stampede

1x Rampaging Baloths

1x Vigor

1x Primeval Bounty

 

And I just realised mine has 15... So however Inconsistent yours was, mine, is even more, as it stands.

This was not my build before. I just recently changed it, adding back in more buffs and Nature's Lore, and taking out Prey Upon and others. It's 60 cards, but not too great of a build, because it doesn't have Enlarge, which can single handedly take out decks like CotMD or EtD.

 

The only thing that really shines about this build is the Curve.

Here it is:

1 mana: 4

2 mana: 9

3 mana: 8

4 mana: 9

5 mana: 3

6+ mana: 3

 

This builds includes 24 land, 18 Creatures and 18 other. That doesn't sound like a winning combination. Although I was winning games when I tried this build, I think that there is a better build out their. One that really peaks at about 5 mana.

 

When talking about multiples and consistency, the only 3+ multiples not included are: Sentinel Spider, Garruk's Companion, Prey Upon, Staff of the Wild Magus, Enlarge, Overrun and Gloomwidow. That's 21 Cards. What Wizards wants you to do with this deck is pretty lame.

 

Hope that helps, or makes you feel hopeless for this deck. Either way, not much doing. I'm going to see what I can do with it though. I'll post the changes I make.

GraciousEel761 wrote:

24x  Forest

3x Rancor

1x Green Sun's Zenith

1x Fauna Shaman

3x Kalonian Tusker

1x Revive

4x Nature's Lore

1x Predator Ooze

2x Eternal Witness

1x Leatherback Baloth

2x Spirit Wolf

1x Elephant Guide

1x Pulse of the Wild

1x Fangren Firstborn

2x Cudgel Troll

1x Brawn

3x Bramblecrush

2x Hunt the Weak

1x Vorapede

1x Bellowing Tanglewurm

1x Overwhelming Stampede

1x Rampaging Baloths

1x Vigor

1x Primeval Bounty

 

And I just realised mine has 15... So however Inconsistent yours was, mine, is even more, as it stands.

This was not my build before. I just recently changed it, adding back in more buffs and Nature's Lore, and taking out Prey Upon and others. It's 60 cards, but not too great of a build, because it doesn't have Enlarge, which can single handedly take out decks like CotMD or EtD.

 

The only thing that really shines about this build is the Curve.

Here it is:

1 mana: 4

2 mana: 9

3 mana: 8

4 mana: 9

5 mana: 3

6+ mana: 3

 

This builds includes 24 land, 18 Creatures and 18 other. That doesn't sound like a winning combination. Although I was winning games when I tried this build, I think that there is a better build out their. One that really peaks at about 5 mana.

 

When talking about multiples and consistency, the only 3+ multiples not included are: Sentinel Spider, Garruk's Companion, Prey Upon, Staff of the Wild Magus, Enlarge, Overrun and Gloomwidow. That's 21 Cards. What Wizards wants you to do with this deck is pretty lame.

 

Hope that helps, or makes you feel hopeless for this deck. Either way, not much doing. I'm going to see what I can do with it though. I'll post the changes I make.

 

Thanks for the deck; No Enlarge, no Overrun, no Prey Upon are a big change in my perspective but I'll be happy to try this deck too, especially for 3xBamblecrush that makes me curious and worried at the same time.

About "one-of's" problem, the whole deck has a lot of only-one-copy card, so It's almost impossible to pursue a good consistency, but Leatherback Baloth or Predator Ooze are too good to be removed from deck.

I'll give you a feedback after some games with this build, thanks

I don't know if someone tried my build but I didn't see problem of consistency.

The cards are different but they fulfill the same role.

 

5 "sniper" : 3 x Prey Upon ; 2x Hunt the Weak

 

3 "get back what you need from graveyard": 1 x Revive ; 2 x Eternal Witness

 

9 "you can do damage" : 1 x Overwhelming Stampede ; 3 x Enlarge ; 3 x Overrun ; 1 x Bellowing Tanglewurm ; 1 x Vigor

 

1 Aura  which can give a creature: 1 x Elephant Guide

 

Everything else are creatures or sorcery to get a creature.

 

I tried 4x Nature's Lore but it doesn't work with an "overrun build" so I add enough land to get quickly to what I need (5 most of the time) instead.

I also tried and removed Sacred Wolf (don't work with some of my spells and they die to block) and Gloomwidow (can't block).

 

 

Sacade wrote:

I don't know if someone tried my build but I didn't see problem of consistency.

The cards are different but they fulfill the same role.

 

5 "sniper" : 3 x Prey Upon ; 2x Hunt the Weak

 

3 "get back what you need from graveyard": 1 x Revive ; 2 x Eternal Witness

 

9 "you can do damage" : 1 x Overwhelming Stampede ; 3 x Enlarge ; 3 x Overrun ; 1 x Bellowing Tanglewurm ; 1 x Vigor

 

1 Aura  which can give a creature: 1 x Elephant Guide

 

Everything else are creatures or sorcery to get a creature.

 

I tried 4x Nature's Lore but it doesn't work with an "overrun build" so I add enough land to get quickly to what I need (5 most of the time) instead.

I also tried and removed Spirit Wolf (don't work with some of my spells and they die to block) and Gloomwidow (can't block).

 

 

 

This deck runs best when all of your higher end cards support your lower end cards, not the other way around.  This means lots of creatures, tutoring, and recursion on the lower end, with stampede, vigor, and tanglewurm (basically the finishers) at the higher end.  3 enlarge is too many when also running 3 overrun and 2 hunt the weak.

 

gloomwidow is perfect for an "overrun build", as its a 3/3 that can attack every turn against most decks.  IN an overrun build, you need every sturdy cheap creature you can get.  Especially when you put a rancor on it.

2 + 2 = fish

All Rancor, no Enlarge , that's how I played before but I wanted to try somethig else oriented to mass big sorcery.

Both way seems as good for me.

The difference is that rancor is 1 mana and permanent.  enlarge is 5 mana.

 

In theory, it sounds like a good idea.  However, here is what happens when you start sticking too many things on the top end of the deck:

 

Must runs

vigor

bellowing tanglewurm

overwhelming stampede

 

Creatures we really like

primalcrux

2 rampaging baloths

vorapede

1 - 3 sentinel spider

 

Spells We really like

1 - 3 enlarge

1 - 3 overrun

primeval bounty

 

 

People start trying to stick everything here in the deck.  And then some.  The deck gets too top heavy, and people basically don't run enough creatures on the lower end.  Out of the cards listed on here, would you rather have enlarge or a primalcrux? Does enlarge beat  vorapede?  Sentinel Spider?  rampaging baloths?  OVERRUN?

 

enlarge is a good card, but it kind of makes the deck too top heavy when you run it next to 3 overrun AND larger creatures.  If you aren't running larger creatures well........ they are better than enlarge in the long term.

 

On the lower end if you are missing even a single rancor (there are only 3), then you are running the deck wrong.  The same for kalonian tusker, predator ooze, and cudgel troll.

2 + 2 = fish

You don't play the 2 builds in the same way. With enlarge there is no long term.

I will edit the number of rancor.

Sacade wrote:

You don't play the 2 builds in the same way. With enlarge there is no long term.

I will edit the number of rancor.

 

Hi Sacade, I've tried your "for adult only deck", with a little change: out 3xEnlarge, in 3xRancor (for convenience I'll name this variant of your deck "overgreen" with a unhappy pun with "evergreen" but my english is very limited )

 

My score with "Overgreen" is 5/0 but I've played all five games against same opponent (not a good one indeed) facing those decks: Guardian Of Lightsx1, Dodge&Burnx2, Deadwalkersx2

 

Rancor was crucial, then I was lucky because I've found for three matches in a row Bellowing Tanglewurms.

 

Some annotations:

-every match I have had Overrun or Stampede in the right moment

-I didn't suffer of mana lack

-overrun and stampede was nice but underused, usually casted only on two creatures due to the usage of Hunt the weak in turn four

-in my opinion, with a lot of Rancor, Brawn is not useful, so I'll try to exchange it with something else

-unfortunately, I dind't draw any time Vigor, so I missed the very big gun of this deck

-I miss Bamblecrush a lot, in at least 3 different times, but objectively there is no room for it in this type of build, voted to offensive

 

I'll continue with the test,

bye

Fosforo

"out 3xEnlarge, in 3xRancor"

Rancor is one of the best card of this deck so it's OK.

 

"My score with "Overgreen" is 5/0"

Looks like a ****. You know how I chose the deck's name now. This and also because creatures die fast

 

"Rancor was crucial, then I was lucky because I've found for three matches in a row Bellowing Tanglewurms."

Nice card when you don't play another green deck.

 

"every match I have had Overrun or Stampede in the right moment"

That's 4 cards, you need it between turn 5 and 8 so it's not too surprising.

 

"I didn't suffer of mana lack"

According to this post, when you add a land, the odds to get 3 or 4 lands in your opening hand increase.

On the other hand you will get a land more often when you are top-decking but as I said earlier there is not long term in this build.

 

"overrun and stampede was nice but underused, usually casted only on two creatures due to the usage of Hunt the weak in turn four"

I also have a low creature count. That's why enlarge is not as bad as people think in my build.

 

"in my opinion, with a lot of Rancor, Brawn is not useful, so I'll try to exchange it with something else"

At first,I didn't use Brawn. Then I add it just to get an overpriced 3/3 and get rid of spiders and wolfs (trample is not usefull because my sorcery spell give it too when I attack).

Your variant is cheaper than mine so maybe you can change it for a Sentinel spider or more likely a primalcrux which can win game.

 

"I miss Bamblecrush a lot, in at least 3 different times, but objectively there is no room for it in this type of build, voted to offensive"

Yeah sometime you don't have any solution but running 1 is not reliable and 3 kill the spirit of this build.

 

"I'll continue with the test,"

Good luck, I hope you will continue to get wins against better opponents

 

 

 

 

mjack33 wrote:

terastodon is a little too big for this deck when its ability is so situational.

 

As a guy that hated terastodon in maya and ancient wilds, I can tell you that I really love it here.

 

1. playing him mid game in maya+ancient wilds, I never knew what to destroy. when he comes late game, you know excatly what of your opponent to destroy.

2. note how many expensive enchantments are in this meta, he comes just in time to destroy them,

3. you have nothing of your opponent to destroy? do you really mind destroying 2 lands+rancor of yours? it's not like you have uses for land above 6 forests.

4. worry about not having trample? you have 3 rancors, does entering to the battlefield as 11/9 trample + 3/3 + 3/3 + 3/3 sound situational?

5. you got lands and need to destroy enchantments. you have 2 tutors for him. actually, even if you don't need to destroy anything of opponent, and you have 0-2 creatures on the battlefield. what other creature you have that enters the battlefield with a spread power of 18?

6. you got mana stuck? you can throw him with fauna, and bring him back with eternal witness later in the game.

7. for me, terastodon found his place, he should be played as the highest price spell in a deck, or not at all.

Sacade wrote:

You don't play the 2 builds in the same way. With enlarge there is no long term.

I will edit the number of rancor.

 

I'm the first one who removed the enlarges for a long term build, since then I inserted one back in, it can be used not only as a finisher. 

for example, I played a game today against AG, all I had is fauna against 2 soldiers, fiend trapping vorapede, and honor of the pure. he attacked, and tapped out for a baneslayer. I enlarged, killing baneslayer that had to deffend, prey upon the hunter to bring back my vorapede, in my journey for the win.

Dude.  Seriously?  terastodon is 8 mana.  That is why I don't run it.  That is too much mana for this meta.

2 + 2 = fish

Fosforo wrote:

 

Sacade wrote:

You don't play the 2 builds in the same way. With enlarge there is no long term.

I will edit the number of rancor.

 

 

Hi Sacade, I've tried your "for adult only deck", with a little change: out 3xEnlarge, in 3xRancor (for convenience I'll name this variant of your deck "overgreen" with a unhappy pun with "evergreen" but my english is very limited )

 

My score with "Overgreen" is 5/0 but I've played all five games against same opponent (not a good one indeed) facing those decks: Guardian Of Lightsx1, Dodge&Burnx2, Deadwalkersx2

 

Rancor was crucial, then I was lucky because I've found for three matches in a row Bellowing Tanglewurms.

 

Some annotations:

-every match I have had Overrun or Stampede in the right moment

-I didn't suffer of mana lack

-overrun and stampede was nice but underused, usually casted only on two creatures due to the usage of Hunt the weak in turn four

-in my opinion, with a lot of Rancor, Brawn is not useful, so I'll try to exchange it with something else

-unfortunately, I dind't draw any time Vigor, so I missed the very big gun of this deck

-I miss Bamblecrush a lot, in at least 3 different times, but objectively there is no room for it in this type of build, voted to offensive

 

I'll continue with the test,

bye

Fosforo

 

My tests are continuing.

I've noticed that 2xHunt the weak have diminished the chance to have many creatures in play, so I've made those changes:

-2xHunt the weak

-1xBrown

-1xMaster of Hunt

+3xGloomwidow

+1xBamblecrush

 

3xGloomwindow help me to raise the creature count  (I want to be sure to have 3 creatures on play in the fifth turn to use effectively Overrun) and help me to lower the average mana cost; moreover Gloomwidow are also useful as blockers for opponent's flyers.

 

I put 1xBamblecrush to improve versatility of the deck, 2x would be better but other cards are immovable.

At now my score with this deck is 12/4, the two more terrible loss were (and it's not a surprise) against Acvcyn's Glory that has destroyed my poor green creatures.

 

11 wins were obtained by playing Overrun or Stampede, I din't have any match rotten by mana lack but I suffer sometimes of inverse situation: too many forests with not much creatures to play. Maybe I'll try to lower the forests from 26 to 25 and put in Primeval Bounty or give an other chance to Master of Hunt.

I'll keep you informed with my "Overgreen" deck progress, because I'm not quite content and my nightmare (hence Avacyn's glory) is still my nightmare...

 

Fosforo

 

Master of the wild hunt is literally one of your best creatures.  It gives you a 2/2 token every turn, and four turns later you can kill an eldrazi.

2 + 2 = fish

I don't like Primeval Bounty. It's too slow for me but "Overgreen" is really different from my build now so it could fit your playstyle better maybe.

I'm fine with 25 forest and my mana curve is higher. 26 is too much, 25 will be OK with Primeval Bounty and even 24 will still be fine if you don't run it.

I agree with mjack that Master of the wild hunt is one of the best creatures. If it's not kill ASAP, it become out of control quickly.

I hate primeval bounty in any deck that doesn't run primalcrux and vigor and a bunch of other things I won't both listing that should come first.

2 + 2 = fish

If I had to choose only one six-drop, Primeval Bounty is the one. It adds value to literally every card you draw, even a land.

Sign In to post comments