Magic 2014 "Hunter's Strength" Decklist and Strategies

737 posts / 0 new
Last post
Also, your deck kind of seems to rely on getting one of 4 5cmc cards by your own admission..... 6 cmc is not that unbelievable at that point.  And they are much much better than wolves, especially with the swarming per forest.

No, 6 CMC is disatrous at that point.  It's sitting in my hand, instead of on the field when I want to cast my 5 CMC cards.  It means I have to wait at least 2 turns before I can attack and use my finisher (e.g. 1 turn to 6, and 1 turn to attack with the 6 CMC creature), and it isn't helping at all before I can cast my finisher.  Decree of Savagery at least replaces itself when it cycles.  That means that I get an extra draw, and although I don't get a huge Timmy creature out in play, the creature with 4 counters gets to attack right then (hopefully for the kill), and don't forget the card puts counters on at instant speed - Combat trick!.  Also, in the rare occasion that the game runs a long time, Decree of Savagery can be a massive finisher all on its own.

Let me teach you a thing or two about tempo, since you don't seem to understand it at all.  You'd think a 6/6 trample is automatically better than 4 counters on a creature.  And that's true eventually, but not when you consider tempo.

Since none of the creatures are hasted, on the turn it comes out, the counters can do 4 damage, the next two turns 4 more.  That means that at 3 turns after you cast them - on it's own - the counters are equal to your 6/6 beast (12 potential damage each).  Before that, they are better.  Moreover, if I cycle Decree of savagery and the creature gets destroyed, I still get my card back, or in other words it's just 1 for 1.  If I cast a 6/6 beast and it gets destroyed it's still 1 for 1.  So no advantage there for either.

Finally, the alternate cost of Decree of Savagery reads 9 CMC: win the game (usually this turn) in a deck with tons of creatures, while your 6 CMC creature again sits there for a turn doing nothing.

In either case, a 6 CMC creature or spell in a 22 land deck is probably not a good idea, which is why neither are in right now.  I could add in a bunch of 6 CMC cards and have big fun creatures in my hand when I lose the game, but I prefer not to.
Also, one more point, since we're on the subject:  Let me repeat, cycling is an instant effect, and let me add, cycling can't be countered.

I should mention: I'm by no means suggesting that Decree of Savagery is the 100% better card...  Just arguing that it's better in my version of this deck.
Is Rancor worth it ?

Rancor is an overall strong card. But this deck has so many ways to get Trample.
rancor is normally worth it; it tends to be your only good trample card before turn 5, and it works for more than one turn;  there are a dozen other arguments I can make, but those alone are enough.

2 + 2 = fish

rancor is normally worth it; it tends to be your only good trample card before turn 5, and it works for more than one turn;  there are a dozen other arguments I can make, but those alone are enough.

Right but do you really need trample before turn 5 ? In the deck 'room', I have the feeling Rancor competes with the 1 mana removal. And I would rather have 4 copies of this removal.
Rancor is not just trample though. A repeatable +2 power for 1 mana along with trample is very good
Rancor is not just trample though. A repeatable +2 power for 1 mana along with trample is very good

100% agree, plus regarding removal... You can put your opponent on a 4 turn clock with just a Tusker and Rancor on turn 3.  That's pretty much removal right there.  They are going to have to chump, or die fast, and when they chump your creature will usually survive, but even if it doesn't you'll get rancor back.
Rancor is an amazing card for me. the first turns goes something like: attacking with 5/3 trample (trade). attacking with 5/2 trample (trade), attacking with 6/5 trample...

plus, in the first turns you don't have big enough creatures. so if you need to remove a 6/6 champion for example, or 5/5 baneslayer, or 6/6 grave titan. you need to put rancor on a troll or Predator Ooze(which is quite crappy without rancor) and use prey upon (or any creature if you have Vigor on the pitch, which turns it to remove creature + put a big amount of counters on target creature). 

rancor has also amazing synergy with Primeval Bounty and Terastodon.

if you want to use overwhelming stampede, and you only have a pack of 3/3 creatures created by Pulse of the Tangle. put all the rancors you have on one of them first, and even if you have only 3 3/3 on the field, and 2 rancors, you go out attacking with 14/10, 10/10, 10/10 tramplers which will end the match, unlike 3 6/6's.

if nothing on the pitch for you, and now you cast Primalcrux, it gives him a 3/1 counter. 

it also turns Eternal Witness to a creature that can trade with big targets.

For conclusion, I don't reccomend any build without all the rancors. 
Rancor is bonkers, I think all three are a must-play. Makes your early creatures much more dangerous, combos well with prey upon, overwhelming stampede, predator ooze and master of the hunt, and you can even cheese MMZ with it, clipping off illusions and saving your preys/hunts for the non-sacrificing illusions.
you can destroy illusions with it, but note that it doesn't come back.
perhaps my favorite play in the game is Prey upon Phantasmal Dragon with Eternal Witness
btw, I have a positive winning rate against all decks besides GoL,AG,SH. GoL quicly have a creature whom I can not Prey upon. and I just can not handle AG+SH first strike deffensive wall.
I had a game that I won against SH, and the decision that gave me the win was to prey Striking Sliver instead of Megantic Sliver.

I think this is the build for me - pretty similar to the aggro build a page or two back, I came up with a similar idea independently.
Note: I'm on iPad, so I'm missing a couple cards like Green Sun's Zenith, which might be in this build.

Anyway, I think this deck is a lot better than people give it credit for.   My main thought, is that in 1v1 it doesn't make much sense to run cards that are higher CMC than your finishers, and as such I don't.  With this build, I am all but guaranteed to have 1 or 2 creatures out when I get my overwhelming stampede or overun, and that usualy happens by turn 5, 6, or 7.  At which point, I'm usually in range to kill.  I can't possibly recommend this build more strongly.  Try it out, most of the other decks aren't ready, and when you hit them it's GG. 

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse" cellspacing="0" border="0">

1v1"Creature Count"

A library for the Garruk 2014 deck (Hunter's Strength)

60 Cards. 38 nonlands (24 creatures, 14 spells). 22 Lands (22).

erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid #04422d; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">
   cost  3 cards 
 Spell â� â� â�  Rancor   
   cost  11 cards 
 Creature â�  Fauna Shaman  2/2   
â� â� â�  Garruk's Companion  3/2   
â� â� â�  Kalonian Tusker  3/3   
 Spell â� â� â� â�  Nature's Lore   
   cost  12 cards 
 Creature â� â�  Eternal Witness  2/1   
â� â� â�  Gloomwidow  3/3   
â�  Leatherback Baloth  4/5   
â�  Predator Ooze  1/1   
â� â�  Sacred Wolf  3/1   
 Spell â�  Beastmaster Ascension   
â�  Elephant Guide   
â�  Pulse of the Tangle   
   cost  5 cards 
 Creature â�  Brawn  3/3   
â� â�  Cudgel Troll  4/3   
â�  Fangren Firstborn  4/2   
â�  Master of the Wild Hunt  3/3   
   cost  7 cards 
 Creature â�  Bellowing Tanglewurm  4/4   
â� â�  Sentinel Spider  4/4   
 Spell â� â� â�  Overrun   
â�  Overwhelming Stampede   

erdana; font-size:9px">Made with MysteriousMisterP's deck planner.
Open this library in the planner.

erdana">

After running a bigger build and going nowhere with it, I also came to the conclusion I am going to try a smaller build gearing towards mass trampling by T5.  I am making a couple changes to this build.  I feel Beastmaster Ascension might as well be a 6+ cmc card for how long it takes to get going.  Seems like in most cases throwing down another creature would be the ideal situation.  Maybe in a long stalled out game when u have 7+ creatures on the board it might be helpful, but seems a bit iffy to me.  I also think running 22 lands is a bit low, even with the Nature's Lore.  I'm going to try 23 lands and 3 lores instead.  I'm replacing a Sentinel Spider with GSZ (I know you dont have it yet).  The other spider is staying as a placeholder for Vorapede.  In place of the Ascension I am going to try Revive.  I think it can be helpful to keep the creature count high or grab that Overrun for a second go around.  If that doesn't work, depending on how things go, I may replace it with a Prey Upon, a 4th Nature's Lore, or maybe even give Savage Summoning another shot (but probably not, lol).

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

After running a bigger build and going nowhere with it, I also came to the conclusion I am going to try a smaller build gearing towards mass trampling by T5.  I am making a couple changes to this build.  I feel Beastmaster Ascension might as well be a 6+ cmc card for how long it takes to get going.  Seems like in most cases throwing down another creature would be the ideal situation.  Maybe in a long stalled out game when u have 7+ creatures on the board it might be helpful, but seems a bit iffy to me.  I also think running 22 lands is a bit low, even with the Nature's Lore.  I'm going to try 23 lands and 3 lores instead.  I'm replacing a Sentinel Spider with GSZ (I know you dont have it yet).  The other spider is staying as a placeholder for Vorapede.  In place of the Ascension I am going to try Revive.  I think it can be helpful to keep the creature count high or grab that Overrun for a second go around.  If that doesn't work, depending on how things go, I may replace it with a Prey Upon, a 4th Nature's Lore, or maybe even give Savage Summoning another shot (but probably not, lol).

You and I are on the exact same page.  These are the precise adjustments I'm looking at, even the reasoning is the same, lol.
Seems like in most cases throwing down another creature would be the ideal situation.

This is the goal of the deck, which is also why I seem to be in a minority camp in not running Rancor. I don't want an Aura, even a repeatable 1-cmc +2/+0, because it's not a creature in a deck that wins by having lots of creatures out. Trading is often a bad idea in this deck; each trade greatly reduces the value of an Overrun or Overwhelming Stampede. Rancor is an awesome card no doubt, and worked extremely well in 2013's SS where your dudes can survive and you have other tricks to clear/control the board, but here, we need creatures creatures creatures.

I'd probably have it in if I wasn't including Prey Upon, but as it stands, having both is too much non-creature.
Seems like in most cases throwing down another creature would be the ideal situation.

This is the goal of the deck, which is also why I seem to be in a minority camp in not running Rancor. I don't want an Aura, even a repeatable 1-cmc +2/+0, because it's not a creature in a deck that wins by having lots of creatures out. Trading is often a bad idea in this deck; each trade greatly reduces the value of an Overrun or Overwhelming Stampede. Rancor is an awesome card no doubt, and worked extremely well in 2013's SS where your dudes can survive and you have other tricks to clear/control the board, but here, we need creatures creatures creatures.

I'd probably have it in if I wasn't including Prey Upon, but as it stands, having both is too much non-creature.

Using Rancor helps damage get through or at the least prevents attacks as someone doesn't want to take 5 damage (also amazing on the Predator Ooze).  I can see using Prey Upon over Rancor as well, as it can also get rid of a possible blocker and let damage through.  As far as more creatures goes, in this build every single creature under 5 cmc is being used and having creatures with higher than 4 starts to clutter the Overrun slot.  Having 2 seems to be enough at that slot so adding more creatures is really not an option at this point.

I do like your idea of the Prey Upon instead of Rancor though...I'll continue running Rancor, but if I find that doesn't seem to be doing the trick I will try the preys.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Yeah, I run it a little differently, which is also why Rancor doesn't quite make it for me. I have all the Nature's Lores in an attempt to be able to drop things like Rampaging Baloths or Primeval Bounty quickly and get a token engine going. Perhaps I need to give the "yes, even you make the build, Gloomwidow and Sacred Wolf" all-low-cost creature version with Rancor and see how that fares.

Rancor pairs beautifully with Predator Ooze, I'll give you that!  
I don't run Overrun, and my strategy consists of as much trading as possible. the reason is that my creatures has no synergy between themself when on the pitch untill turn 6 at least, I have a revive option. the only decks I don't want to trade against them are dimir+FW.
AG,DW,SH creatures will just get scarier over time.
GoL might get creatures stuck, and almost all their creatures has increasing value staying on the field (you have only Fauna).
ETD small creatures will get devoured to an unbeatable dragon.
MM creatures will get puffed by the Lord, and get hexproofed.

and I don't like the plan of holding back, waiting for the overrun for this deck. you need to win with creatures power in this deck, so do it!
Are you waiting for Pariah+undestructability for GoL? or maybe for AG+SH to create unpassable wall of first strikers? or maybe to get mutilate by DW when they can return all their creatures? or for form of the dragon by ETD? etc...

overrun IMHO is bad for a deck that inserts only one creature to the pitch every turn (unless your Master of the Wild Hunt survives, but in that case you have a good chance of winning anyway), starting only on the 2nd turn. even if all your creatures survives which is incredibly iffy, and assuming you won't get countered, tangled, embraced, etc... attacking with something like 5 6/6 will probably won't be a match ender. 
Overwhelming Stampede which I run will probably won't be much bigger without rancor or your big creatures that can come only by turn 6.
I don't run Overrun, and my strategy consists of as much trading as possible. the reason is that my creatures has no synergy between themself when on the pitch untill turn 6 at least, I have a revive option. the only decks I don't want to trade against them are dimir+FW.
AG,DW,SH creatures will just get scarier over time.
GoL might get creatures stuck, and almost all their creatures has increasing value staying on the field (you have only Fauna).
ETD small creatures will get devoured to an unbeatable dragon.
MM creatures will get puffed by the Lord, and get hexproofed.

and I don't like the plan of holding back, waiting for the overrun for this deck. you need to win with creatures power in this deck, so do it!
Are you waiting for Pariah+undestructability for GoL? or maybe for AG+SH to create unpassable wall of first strikers? or maybe to get mutilate by DW when they can return all their creatures? or for form of the dragon by ETD? etc...

overrun IMHO is bad for a deck that inserts only one creature to the pitch every turn (unless your Master of the Wild Hunt survives, but in that case you have a good chance of winning anyway), starting only on the 2nd turn. even if all your creatures survives which is incredibly iffy, and assuming you won't get countered, tangled, embraced, etc... attacking with something like 5 6/6 will probably won't be a match ender. 
Overwhelming Stampede which I run will probably won't be much bigger without rancor or your big creatures that can come only by turn 6.

But that's sort of all you need, if you drop a creature each turn, and hit them with Overrun, that's going to be game over.  You're looking at 18 power with trample on turn 5 for almost any combination of cards, and almost no decks can get through your defense should you choose to hold back from attacking.

But in order to guarantee this (or at least make it consistent), you need to run as many low cost creatures as possible.  I'd run 4 Garruk's and 4 Tuskers if they'd let me, and I'd remove just about any creature that's more expensive in order to make room - particularly the Gloomwidows, but that's beside the point.

A build I've been running for a bit now that has had pretty steady success, but also is fun (bc let's face, dropping big creatures = fun).  I can't shake the Regal Forces as the only real card draw this deck has. Also, I find the Sentinel Spiders to have a lot more usefulness in this version of DOTP than in last year's version.

"Creature Heavy"

60 Cards. 35 nonlands (21 creatures, 14 spells). 25 Lands (25).

erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid #04422d; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">
 Creatures 17 cards 
   cost  ■■■ Kalonian Tusker  3/3   
   cost   Leatherback Baloth  4/5   
 Predator Ooze  1/1   
 Pulse of the Tangle   
   cost  ■■ Cudgel Troll  4/3   
 Fangren Firstborn  4/2   
   cost   Bellowing Tanglewurm  4/4   
■■■ Sentinel Spider  4/4   
   cost  ■■ Rampaging Baloths  6/6   
 Vigor  6/6   
 [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m]  cost   Green Sun's Zenith  [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m] 
 Removal 4 cards 
   cost  ■■■ Bramblecrush   
 Master of the Wild Hunt  3/3   
 Buff 3 cards 
   cost  ■■ Overrun   
 Overwhelming Stampede   
 Utility 7 cards 
   cost   Fauna Shaman  2/2   
 Revive   
   cost  ■■ Eternal Witness  2/1   
   cost   Primeval Bounty   
   cost  ■■ Regal Force  5/5   
 Land 4 cards 
   cost  ■■■■ Nature's Lore   

Unused (38 cards)
   1x Beastmaster Ascension
   1x Biorhythm
   1x Brawn
   1x Craterhoof Behemoth
   1x Decree of Savagery
   1x Elephant Guide
   3x Enlarge
   3x Garruk's Companion
   1x Garruk's Horde
   3x Gloomwidow
   2x Hunt the Weak
   1x Living Hive
   2x Oakenform
   1x Overrun
   4x Prey Upon
   1x Primalcrux
   1x Protean Hulk
   3x Rancor
   2x Sacred Wolf
   1x Savage Summoning
   3x Staff of the Wild Magus
   1x Wurmskin Forger

Locked promos (3 cards)
   1x Crush of Wurms
   1x Terastodon
   1x Vorapede

I did the 10 game challenge with the deck listed above and went 5-5.  I got flooded with land one game and stuck at 3 in another, lol.  I played DW 4 times which is probably the single worst match-up for this deck (and most decks, DW is ridiculous).  Overall this deck runs much smoother now and I wouldn't be surprised to see it consistently having a 60% win rate (which I would consider good for any deck).  Bellowing Tanglewurm is almost like having another Overrun in the sense that it makes everything unblockable.  It isn't quite the same as Overrun obviously, but won me a couple games on it's own the turn I dropped it down and was able to go all in without a block.  Rancor really shined here as well.

I did the 10 game challenge with the deck listed above and went 5-5.  I got flooded with land one game and stuck at 3 in another, lol.  I played DW 4 times which is probably the single worst match-up for this deck (and most decks, DW is ridiculous).  Overall this deck runs much smoother now and I wouldn't be surprised to see it consistently having a 60% win rate (which I would consider good for any deck).  Bellowing Tanglewurm is almost like having another Overrun in the sense that it makes everything unblockable.  It isn't quite the same as Overrun obviously, but won me a couple games on it's own the turn I dropped it down and was able to go all in without a block.  Rancor really shined here as well.

5-5 for me as well. That was my first and last attempt at HS. The 2 mono white and the mono black are much more competitive.

5-5 for me as well. That was my first and last attempt at HS. The 2 mono white and the mono black are much more competitive.

I doubt anyone denies that.  I don't want to play against or as 2 or 3 decks all the time though.

I'm currently trying a "smaller" deck here, too. As many creatures out early as possible, and mostly ignoring the big hitters that Garruk ususally likes.

So far, the results haven't been too bad. And it's actually fun, which is all I really care about, anyway. 
I really wish they had included Triumph of Ferocity in this deck.  Would have made it so much better.
Of all things, Death is least permanent.

while we are naming things: 3 garruk's packleader

2 + 2 = fish

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse" cellspacing="0" border="0">"Hakeem928"A library for the Garruk 2014 deck (Hunter's Strength)60 Cards. 36 nonlands (21 creatures, 15 spells). 24 Lands (24).
erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid rgb(4, 66, 45); border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">
   cost  7 cards 
 Spell ■■■■ Prey Upon   
■■■ Rancor   
   cost  10 cards 
 Creature  Fauna Shaman  2/2   
■■■ Garruk's Companion  3/2   
■■■ Kalonian Tusker  3/3   
 Spell ■■■ Nature's Lore   
   cost  6 cards 
 Creature ■■ Eternal Witness  2/1   
 Leatherback Baloth  4/5   
 Predator Ooze  1/1   
 Spell  Elephant Guide   
 Pulse of the Tangle   
   cost  4 cards 
 Creature ■■ Cudgel Troll  4/3   
 Fangren Firstborn  4/2   
   cost  4 cards 
 Creature  Bellowing Tanglewurm  4/4   
■■ Sentinel Spider  4/4   
 Spell  Overwhelming Stampede   
   cost  4 cards 
 Creature ■■ Rampaging Baloths  6/6   
 Vigor  6/6   
 Spell  Primeval Bounty   
 [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m]  cost  1 card 
 Spell  Green Sun's Zenith  [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m] 
erdana">Unused (37 cards)
   1x Beastmaster Ascension
   1x Biorhythm
   3x Bramblecrush
   1x Brawn
   1x Craterhoof Behemoth
   1x Decree of Savagery
   3x Enlarge
   1x Garruk's Horde
   3x Gloomwidow
   2x Hunt the Weak
   1x Living Hive
   1x Nature's Lore
   2x Oakenform
   3x Overrun
   1x Primalcrux
   1x Protean Hulk
   2x Regal Force
   1x Revive
   2x Sacred Wolf
   1x Savage Summoning
   1x Sentinel Spider
   1x Wurmskin Forger

Locked promos (3 cards)
   1x Crush of Wurms
   1x Terastodon
   1x Vorapede

The full complement of Prey Upon/Rancor because they're just too important.

Three Nature's Lore lets us skip our three-drops because that slot is either bad (Sacred Wolf/Gloomwidow) or not meant to be played on-curve (Eternal Witness). This also lets us run all the best six-drops.

No Bramblecrush because it's not what the deck wants to do.

Not many Overrun effects; Overwhelming Stampede is the best, and Bellowing Tanglewurm does a similar job while providing a body.

Max tutoring with Fauna Shaman and GSZ because Ooze/MotWH/Tanglewurm/Vigor are all singletons that you want in different matchups.

Baloths has a great body for its cost and takes over if unanswered. Bounty is nuts.

Deck is still bad. 
Thanks for the build, gonna give it a shot! I wish green was as strong as last year...

"Hakeem928"

60 Cards. 36 nonlands (21 creatures, 15 spells). 24 Lands (24).

cost  7 cards 
 Spell ■■■■ Prey Upon   
■■■ Rancor   
   cost  10 cards 
 Creature  Fauna Shaman  2/2   
■■■ Garruk's Companion  3/2   
■■■ Kalonian Tusker  3/3   
 Spell ■■■ Nature's Lore   
   cost  6 cards 
 Creature ■■ Eternal Witness  2/1   
 Leatherback Baloth  4/5   
 Predator Ooze  1/1   
 Spell  Elephant Guide   
 Pulse of the Tangle   
   cost  4 cards 
 Creature ■■ Cudgel Troll  4/3   
 Fangren Firstborn  4/2   
   cost  4 cards 
 Creature  Bellowing Tanglewurm  4/4   
■■ Sentinel Spider  4/4   
 Spell  Overwhelming Stampede   
   cost  4 cards 
 Creature ■■ Rampaging Baloths  6/6   
 Vigor  6/6   
 Spell  Primeval Bounty   
 [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m]  cost  1 card 
 Spell  Green Sun's Zenith  [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m] 

erdana">Unused (37 cards)
   1x Beastmaster Ascension
   1x Biorhythm
   3x Bramblecrush
   1x Brawn
   1x Craterhoof Behemoth
   1x Decree of Savagery
   3x Enlarge
   1x Garruk's Horde
   3x Gloomwidow
   2x Hunt the Weak
   1x Living Hive
   1x Nature's Lore
   2x Oakenform
   3x Overrun
   1x Primalcrux
   1x Protean Hulk
   2x Regal Force
   1x Revive
   2x Sacred Wolf
   1x Savage Summoning
   1x Sentinel Spider
   1x Wurmskin Forger

Locked promos (3 cards)
   1x Crush of Wurms
   1x Terastodon
   1x Vorapede

The full complement of Prey Upon/Rancor because they're just too important.

Three Nature's Lore lets us skip our three-drops because that slot is either bad (Sacred Wolf/Gloomwidow) or not meant to be played on-curve (Eternal Witness). This also lets us run all the best six-drops.

No Bramblecrush because it's not what the deck wants to do.

Not many Overrun effects; Overwhelming Stampede is the best, and Bellowing Tanglewurm does a similar job while providing a body.

Max tutoring with Fauna Shaman and GSZ because Ooze/MotWH/Tanglewurm/Vigor are all singletons that you want in different matchups.

Baloths has a great body for its cost and takes over if unanswered. Bounty is nuts.

Deck is still bad. 

Hi Hakeem, first of all our builds are almost the same (I don't play my aggro with the 5th turn finishers anymore, because it bores me).
but I have remarks about your build:
Primalcrux should be in, the reason is that it is your only huge creature that you can use Prey upon with on really big targets (and he will ensure your Overwhelming Stampede will be huge).
one Regal Force should be in, I find him really useful in case of a stalemate (you can tutor him with zenit or Fauna).
I run Bramblecrush because of really problematic cases like Pariah on Dawn elemntal or your Predator ooze, or Form Of The Dragon etc... if you don't run it, run Terastodon when it comes I already explained why it is a monster in this deck although it is very expensive.
I play 23 land and 4 Nature's Lore now, because in many situations I Eternal Witness it (will probably go to 24 once I need to play Terastodon)
Elephant guide is out for me, the reason is that it is bad against the 3 white decks, against MM. and is actually good only in the mirror, and against DW (go over the decks and see what I mean), need a big creature to play Prey upon early game? put a rancor on your troll, regenerate, and use Prey upon.
It left me with no room for Rampaging Baloths in the deck, although I adore this card, I don't see how it is very good here.

You and I are on the exact same page.  These are the precise adjustments I'm looking at, even the reasoning is the same, lol.

I'm surprised with people finally realising what I was saying pages back. This deck compared to Pack instincts isn't about your biggest creatures its about using most of your four and three drops and then smashing with Overrun or Stampede. Or if you like kitteh's use Enlarge if that's your preference.

I'm surprised with people finally realising what I was saying pages back. This deck compared to Pack instincts isn't about your biggest creatures its about using most of your four and three drops and then smashing with Overrun or Stampede. Or if you like kitteh's use Enlarge if that's your preference.

I've been on that thought train for a while already.  It's really straight forward with this deck: none of the cards above 5 CMC are finishers, but we actually do have finishers at 5 CMC.  That means you have to at least consider building your deck a certain way.

That said, with the addition of GSZ, Vigor, and Vorapede we may actually have enough high CMC cards to play a more midrange game.  I might consider a build that features 6 CMC cards after Vigor, because my main reason for not running them so far, is actually that there aren't enough of them to justify the mana base required to run even one of them consistently.   Even afterwards though, I just don't see how this deck has enough ramp or draw to justify cards above 6 CMC, you might play them every once in a while, but you won't be able to play them with any real consistency.

I guess, with a full complement of Nature's Lores, Eternal Witnesses, and Revive - all in the deck for the sole purpose of enabling ramp - it might work, but that's some really expensive ramp IMO, just to maybe be able to play Craterhoof, Biorythm, or Decree of Savagery (anything below those, but above 6 CMC, really isn't a finisher - although they can all win games).  Seems like a loosing idea IMO.
I mentioned it before, the reason to run the high CMC cards for me is not that it is better,
it is because it is more fun. Primalcrux was one of my finishers in the aggro build, a creature ready to attack a turn after with something like 15/15 trampling power is a finisher, the problem that he can attack only 2 turns after the other finishers, and he has more chances of being removed.

I was rethinking Bramblecrush with 2 examples.
1: I played HS against GoL. I got a Pariah on my Predator Ooze, I Bramblecrushed it the next turn to make a nice damage. turn after his Kor Spiritdancer  turned to a huge lifelinked/viligance/protection from creature, obviously I lost the match (I didn't have a revive card for my Bramblecrush. If I got a Prey Upon which I run only 3 of instead, I would probably hold my ooze in my hand (maybe for the entire game), and my play was Garruk's Companion+Prey Upon, maybe I would have won?

2: I played with ETD against HS, he got me to 2 life+he had a huge trampling ooze on the field. I played Form Of The Dragon, and he quit. but, if he had Bramblecrush instead of Enlarge, he would probably lose anyway, because I wouldn't have to double block his ooze this turn (not at all).

so? what is your conclusion about Bramblecrush? I think I play it now for phsycological reasons, I hate being at 20-2 life advantage with many creatures on the field, while he have none, and then get an unbeatable enchantment in my face. 
I mentioned it before, the reason to run the high CMC cards for me is not that it is better,
it is because it is more fun. Primalcrux was one of my finishers in the aggro build, a creature ready to attack a turn after with something like 15/15 trampling power is a finisher, the problem that he can attack only 2 turns after the other finishers, and he has more chances of being removed.

I was rethinking Bramblecrush with 2 examples.
1: I played HS against GoL. I got a Pariah on my Predator Ooze, I Bramblecrushed it the next turn to make a nice damage. turn after his Kor Spiritdancer  turned to a huge lifelinked/viligance/protection from creature, obviously I lost the match (I didn't have a revive card for my Bramblecrush. If I got a Prey Upon which I run only 3 of instead, I would probably hold my ooze in my hand (maybe for the entire game), and my play was Garruk's Companion+Prey Upon, maybe I would have won?

2: I played with ETD against HS, he got me to 2 life+he had a huge trampling ooze on the field. I played Form Of The Dragon, and he quit. but, if he had Bramblecrush instead of Enlarge, he would probably lose anyway, because I wouldn't have to double block his ooze this turn (not at all).

so? what is your conclusion about Bramblecrush? I think I play it now for phsycological reasons, I hate being at 20-2 life advantage with many creatures on the field, while he have none, and then get an unbeatable enchantment in my face. 

Bramblecrush is out IMO, should have been acidic slime, then maybe.  

Really should have been 4 master of the wild hunt.

Anyway, I think the 6 CMC card builds become much more viable when vigor is available.
I generally don't run the Crush, as why it'll save the day sometimes, it's a reactionary card in a deck that doesn't have the luxury. With so little card advantage and such a poor late game, I can't afford a dead card if I want to have a consistent chance. If GoL was the most played deck, I'd run it because it almost never be dead there, but most others I really need to be dropping critters, not having a card sitting in hand for the time I get O.Ring'd.
I wonder why they didn't bring us Indrik Stomphowler this time, and they were auto include in this build with GSZ+Fauna.
So..Bramblecrush is out of the build, and I agree that I might have played it only if this deck was top tier, but as it goes, only a minor precentage of my losts are due to enchantments.
I like this kind of thinking, same thinking made me pass on Demon of Death's Gate, which would have been played only if I usually lost with DW.
I went 4-0 with the build I posted last night, but two of my opponents were pretty bad and really should have beaten me (oversized DW and AG decks).

Even though I only played four games, I already have four slots that I'm thinking could change; Elephant Guide, both Sentinel Spiders, and one of the Rampaging Baloths.

The fourth Nature's Lore is definitely coming in place of Elephant Guide, but there's nothing decent to put in those other slots. Perhaps the extra bit of ramp will make the Spiders/Baloths a bit more reliable? We'll see.
I like the attempts to make this deck work, but after fiddling with it last night I think I will need the last 5 promos to make a serious attempt here. With just the first 5 promos (yay iPad), there's too many slots that I'm not happy with no matter what's in them.

Hakeem, I'm really interested in your no-Overrun build, perhaps that is the better way to go. Swap them all for Rancor. I also don't run Elephant Guide but I think I was overlooking it; with all my ranting about how this deck wants creatures, I passed over an Aura that replaces the creature it's attached to. But if I include the Rancors, why bother with another Aura that could just be a creature instead... I'll have to grind on this one.

How has Fangren Firstborn been running for you? I always found him too brittle and almost never got more than hit with his effect.
Fangrin plus Vigor is brutal.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Fangren is just a removal spell; he's not stellar, but what else is there? :-p
fangren is bad for my build and style of play, usually he makes one attack with 5/3 power (or 7/3 trample) and trades, and perhaps gives a counter to one more creature, but I lack 4 drops (I usually don't cast troll at 4 against DW, ETD, HS, FW), I might cut him anyhow, he also has bad synergy with Vorapede.
Why is fangren so good with Vigor? I considered the best synergies for vigor in this deck are the spiders and Prey Upon, but I don't have Vigor yet (IPAD), so I'm not sure.
What is your record against GoL? I'm 0-7 now, and that was with a build including Bramblecrush which I'm removing from my build.
You do know what Vigor does, right?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Sign In to post comments