Magic 2014 "Hunter's Strength" Decklist and Strategies

737 posts / 0 new
Last post
but its fat with trample in a green deck

2 + 2 = fish

Why would you want something so expensive that potentially loses and not gains power/toughness?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

In worse case scenario its still a 6/6 trample for 6 
In worse case scenario its still a 6/6 trample for 6 

Isn't a 5/3 trample turn three enough?  lol

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

5/3 trample turn 3 is not anything; that 3 toughness does not stand up; the chroma frankly becomes 10/10 most of the time upon play minimum, and it becomes 15/15 with trample regularly in my deck.  Thus, I don't get the reasons for not running it

2 + 2 = fish

Chroma gives your opponent control of the P/T of your "best" creature; see Unsummon, Path to Exile, and Doom Blade. If you don't get this, you are bad.

(card's decent, though) 
A) anything other than unsummon would just be used on him anyway
B) the thing is massive for 6 mana in a green deck without massive creatures

Also, since I don't know where else to ask this, I am trying to make a budget deck with cards I have.  How does this look:

24 forest

4 prey upon

2 kalonian tusker
4 garruk's companion
4 deadly recluse
4 rampant growth

3 advocate of the beast
4 cultivate

3 rumbling baloth

3 sentinel spider
4 garruk's companion

1 rampaging baloths                       

2 + 2 = fish

This is my current aggro build:

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse" cellspacing="0" border="0">

1v1"aggro"

A library for the Garruk 2014 deck (Hunter's Strength)

60 Cards. 40 nonlands (21 creatures, 19 spells). 20 Lands (20).

erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid #04422d; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">
   cost  6 cards 
 Spell ■■■ Prey Upon   
■■■ Rancor   
   cost  10 cards 
 Creature ■■■ Garruk's Companion  3/2   
■■■ Kalonian Tusker  3/3   
 Spell ■■■■ Nature's Lore   
   cost  12 cards 
 Creature ■■ Eternal Witness  2/1   
■■■ Gloomwidow  3/3   
 Leatherback Baloth  4/5   
 Predator Ooze  1/1   
■■ Sacred Wolf  3/1   
 Spell  Elephant Guide   
 Oakenform   
 Pulse of the Tangle   
   cost  6 cards 
 Creature ■■ Cudgel Troll  4/3   
 Fangren Firstborn  4/2   
 Master of the Wild Hunt  3/3   
 Spell ■■ Bramblecrush   
   cost  5 cards 
 Creature  Bellowing Tanglewurm  4/4   
 Spell ■■■ Enlarge   
 Overwhelming Stampede   
   cost  1 card 
 Creature  Primalcrux  */*   

erdana; font-size:9px">Read about MysteriousMisterP's deck planner.
Open this library in the planner.

erdana">Unused (32 cards)
   1x Beastmaster Ascension
   1x Biorhythm
   1x Bramblecrush
   1x Brawn
   1x Craterhoof Behemoth
   1x Decree of Savagery
   1x Fauna Shaman
   1x Garruk's Horde
   2x Hunt the Weak
   1x Living Hive
   1x Oakenform
   3x Overrun
   1x Prey Upon
   1x Primeval Bounty
   1x Protean Hulk
   2x Rampaging Baloths
   2x Regal Force
   1x Revive
   1x Savage Summoning
   3x Sentinel Spider
   3x Staff of the Wild Magus
   1x Vigor
   1x Wurmskin Forger

Locked promos (4 cards)
   1x Crush of Wurms
   1x Green Sun's Zenith
   1x Terastodon
   1x Vorapede

I'm going back and forth with Fauna Shaman, Beastmaster Ascension, 2nd Bramblecrush, 3rd Enlarge.
This build works quite well, although it holds junk like Gloomwidow, the auras, Sacred Wolf which I must use to turn Enlarge and the auras from HRMR to MRMR, it made even wish for Primal Huntbeast. The idea is obviously play aggresively and in the end steal the victory with your 5 drops. This build works well, and gave me 21-16 winning ratio which placed it above Slivers (I have about 30% with this deck),dragons and burn for me, but far behind the other good 6 decks.

The 5 remaining promos contains cards that I really like, and I will try the following build:

"Smark"

60 Cards. 37 nonlands (22 creatures, 15 spells). 23 Lands (23).

erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid #04422d; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">
   cost  6 cards 
 Spell ■■■ Prey Upon   
■■■ Rancor   
   cost  10 cards 
 Creature  Fauna Shaman  2/2   
■■ Garruk's Companion  3/2   
■■■ Kalonian Tusker  3/3   
 Spell ■■■■ Nature's Lore   
   cost  5 cards 
 Creature ■■ Eternal Witness  2/1   
 Leatherback Baloth  4/5   
 Predator Ooze  1/1   
 Spell  Pulse of the Tangle   
   cost  5 cards 
 Creature ■■ Cudgel Troll  4/3   
 Fangren Firstborn  4/2   
 Spell  Bramblecrush   
   cost  5 cards 
■■ Sentinel Spider  4/4   
 Vorapede  5/4   
 Spell  Overwhelming Stampede   
   cost  3 cards 
 Creature  Primalcrux  */*   
 Vigor  6/6   
 Spell  Primeval Bounty   
   cost  1 card 
 Creature  Regal Force  5/5   
   cost  1 card 
 Creature  Terastodon  9/9   
 [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m]  cost  1 card 
 Spell  Green Sun's Zenith  [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m] 

erdana; font-size:9px">Read about MysteriousMisterP's deck planner.

erdana">Unused (38 cards)
   1x Beastmaster Ascension
   1x Biorhythm
   2x Bramblecrush
   1x Brawn
   1x Craterhoof Behemoth
   1x Decree of Savagery
   1x Elephant Guide
   3x Enlarge
   1x Garruk's Companion
   1x Garruk's Horde
   3x Gloomwidow
   2x Hunt the Weak
   1x Living Hive
   2x Oakenform
   3x Overrun
   1x Prey Upon
   1x Protean Hulk
   2x Rampaging Baloths
   1x Regal Force
   1x Revive
   2x Sacred Wolf
   1x Savage Summoning
   1x Sentinel Spider
   1x Wurmskin Forger

Locked promos (4 cards)
   1x Crush of Wurms
   1x Green Sun's Zenith
   1x Terastodon
   1x Vorapede

This deck is filled with good cards, with tons of synergy, where the only negative synergy is Vorapede with the counters. The idea is still aggresion, but instead of trying to steal the game with Enlarge and hope you won't get insta unsummoned/exiled/doom bladed, you continue to drop bombs.

About  Terastodon : I'm not a big fan of this card, and it is very pricy for this deck. but I included it for several reasons: this is the only card in this deck that can enter to an empty field with huge power (No problem in destroying your own lands, since there is no other card higher than 7 mana, and no problem in destroying rancors that comes back). its' no trample is no issue with 3 rancor. There are many pricy enchantments in the game, and he will come just in time to destroy them (and I don't like Bramblecrush). I have 2 other ways to tutor him (Fauna+Zenit). 
exactly half the deck can fetch forests (including Eternal Witness and Regal force).

Rampaging Baloths was a monster in PI, and I really like this card, but no cards synergy here (actually a negative synergy with the land thinning idea behind Nature's lure), if it will be get stoled, opponents will be able to use it better than I can.

Fauna Shaman lets you fetch Predator Ooze and Master of the Wild Hunt in the relevant matchups; it should be in.
bentz, your "aggro" deck seems great.

But I just can't understand how you can run it with so few lands, 20. Nature's lore, okay but you run the risk of starting too often with 2 lands. That's risky.
About 20 lands: first mulligan I take anything with more than 2 lands, or 2 lands+Nature's Lure: that acts like I started with 24 lands, which is quite normal. once I'm at 3, I throw down any crap that comes. and If i need the 5th or 6th land, I can also Eternal Witness the Nature's Lure which Is quite common for me.
Fauna is great but she doesn't fit the plan of attacking, attacking, attacking (she has to sit in defence and use an extra land to trade a card). I don't like the creature thinning also. on the plus side, she is quite nice with Eternal Witness when your creature are getting exciled or trapped, and you don't need to fetch Prey upon, Bramblecrush, Nature's Lure or don't have them in the graveyard, you can get 2 creature's out.
Fauna Shaman and Sacred Wolf are creatures that I hated in this style of aggro play. Fauna sat waiting for a time to trade creatures, and the wolf sat and waited for the Enlarge (one time when I enlarged, I got insta junded), and with their toughness they were quite useless defenders.
Did you test it, for example 10 times vs random human players ?
I'm 21-16 which is 57%. I'm above 75% with AG,MM,CODM,MOTD,DW,GL. 54% with FW and less than 50% Slivers+Dragons (great balance, ah!)

I'm 21-16 which is 57%. I'm above 75% with AG,MM,CODM,MOTD,DW,GL. 54% with FW and less than 50% Slivers+Dragons (great balance, ah!)

That's pretty good. Congrats. I really need to practice this deck more. IMO it's much weaker than Guardians of Light but perhaps I'm wrong.

BTW, I'm highly skeptical about 75% vs GoL.

Really? GoL is a very strong deck but is quite hard to build right.
With, not against. I think almost all my matches were against the top 6 decks. I didn't make a statistic, but I think I'm 0-4 againt GoL, and I wasn't even close to win these matchups. against the big 3 I'm pretty balanced (path to exile really helps my low land count, I don't need to fetch Nature's Lure back). against CODM I usually win, the only card that saves them is All Is Dust or the Avenger if it's plants enters as big enough, or if I don't have Prey upon ready for him, but they really need to get there quick, and usually Tangle me at least once.
Really? GoL is a very strong deck but is quite hard to build right.

I'm surprised. I did 9-1 for another thread suggesting recording 10 rounds with the same deck. Yet I have still 11 cards to unlock and didn't do any forum research on GoL. I guess I was lucky but still, this deck is overwhelming.
I can't say alot about GoL because this deck really bores me, and I play it only because I press random deck. It looks much weaker on first glance compared to 2013, but the matchups are quite favorable for this deck in 2014. I think this is because of the lack of pure removals in the game. with all of the cheap auras this deck produces creatures which are fastly out of reach from stuff like Last Gasp and Corrupt. the protection from creatures put them out of reach from Prey Upon and Fiend Hunter, and removes the possibility of chump blocking. the card advantage produced from it's key 6 creatures really makes it unstoppable. every turn I play a land and 2 spells, and finish it with 7 cards.
I believe the strength of GoL lies in evasion: flying and protection from creatures.
Deadwalkers has tons of good removals, yet it can't cope with him because of evasion.
Cliff notes on how GoL goes for me when I play with/against it. GoL opponent draw no removal? GoL wins. Draw two removal? GoL loses. Draw only 1? Can go both ways.

Of course, only the Big 3 really have the necessary removal combined with a quick rush to punish GoL's tempo loss from enchantments. I've not actually played the Dimir/GoL match enough to have a notable feel for how that one goes. It looks like it could be interesting.
Dimir's removal is only good on creatures without Pants; once they tap out, you suit up and generally win. Evil Twin and Shadowborn Demon are answers, but Twin is slow and you will often lose before you untap with it.

As Dimir, if you Gasp a few dudes you should be good, but GoL can deal some heavy burst damage with double-striking monstrosities out of nowhere. Spinal Embrace can be a blowout, be we all know how nuts that card is.

Strong edge to GoL, IMO.

So how about Hunter's Strength? Crappy deck, eh?
I'm finally getting around to working on it... I don't think it's crappy though.
I believe the strength of GoL lies in evasion: flying and protection from creatures.
Deadwalkers has tons of good removals, yet it can't cope with him because of evasion.

?????
Show me what DW removal cards can't deal with evasion.

Show

?????

I think he meant those as two separate clauses.

DW has tons of good removal.
DW has trouble with GOL's evasion.

still not sure I agree. 

?????

still not sure I agree. 

Fleshbag Marauder, Grave Pact and Consuming Vapors laugh at GoL's power/toughness.  Tongue Out

Show

?????

still not sure I agree. 

Fleshbag Marauder, Grave Pact and Consuming Vapors laugh at GoL's power/toughness. 

You forgot doom blade, and cruel revival... /shrug
You forgot doom blade

Thanks. How could I have forgotten about that one?

Show

Lol, no idea.  Kill all the things!!!
Grave Pact is not much of an issue, because the matchup is without interaction usually, DW can't block GoL attacks, and GoL just let DW attacks pass through. I, among other people don't use the all Doom Blade & Cruel Revival package because it is almost dead in the mirror matchup. I have only 4 drops above 4 CMC in GoL, and I never lost a game against DW when I got 2 of them: Sigil of the Empty Throne, Final Judgment. the first because it is unremovable by DW, and it gets me a non-ending supply of creature which I can always sacrafice. the second because all of his recursion get destroyed, and I start a new match-up with an overwelming card advantage.  
Just ran this build in Hakeem's challenge to a 6/4.
Wins include against MM, AG, DW.
Worth a look. Try it out.

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse" cellspacing="0" border="0">"Running Wild"A library for the Garruk 2014 deck (Hunter's Strength)60 Cards. 36 nonlands (17 creatures, 19 spells). 24 Lands (24).
erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid rgb(4, 66, 45); border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">
   cost  5 cards 
 Spell ■■ Prey Upon   
■■■ Rancor   
   cost  10 cards 
 Creature  Fauna Shaman  2/2   
■■ Garruk's Companion  3/2   
■■■ Kalonian Tusker  3/3   
 Spell ■■■■ Nature's Lore   
   cost  5 cards 
 Creature  Leatherback Baloth  4/5   
 Predator Ooze  1/1   
 Spell  Elephant Guide   
 Oakenform   
 Pulse of the Tangle   
   cost  5 cards 
 Creature  Brawn  3/3   
■■ Cudgel Troll  4/3   
 Fangren Firstborn  4/2   
   cost  7 cards 
 Sentinel Spider  4/4   
 Spell ■■ Enlarge   
■■ Overrun   
 Overwhelming Stampede   
   cost  3 cards 
 Creature  Rampaging Baloths  6/6   
 Vigor  6/6   
 Spell  Primeval Bounty   
 [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m]  cost  1 card 
 Spell  Green Sun's Zenith  [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m] 
erdana; font-size:9px">Made with MysteriousMisterP's deck planner.
Unused (37 cards)
   1x Beastmaster Ascension
   1x Biorhythm
   3x Bramblecrush
   1x Craterhoof Behemoth
   1x Decree of Savagery
   1x Enlarge
   2x Eternal Witness
   1x Garruk's Companion
   1x Garruk's Horde
   3x Gloomwidow
   2x Hunt the Weak
   1x Living Hive
   1x Oakenform
   1x Overrun
   2x Prey Upon
   1x Primalcrux
   1x Protean Hulk
   1x Rampaging Baloths
   2x Regal Force
   1x Revive
   2x Sacred Wolf
   1x Savage Summoning
   2x Sentinel Spider
   1x Wurmskin Forger

Locked promos (3 cards)
   1x Crush of Wurms
   1x Terastodon
   1x Vorapede

Show

I think this is the build for me - pretty similar to the aggro build a page or two back, I came up with a similar idea independently.
Note: I'm on iPad, so I'm missing a couple cards like Green Sun's Zenith, which might be in this build.

Anyway, I think this deck is a lot better than people give it credit for.   My main thought, is that in 1v1 it doesn't make much sense to run cards that are higher CMC than your finishers, and as such I don't.  With this build, I am all but guaranteed to have 1 or 2 creatures out when I get my overwhelming stampede or overun, and that usualy happens by turn 5, 6, or 7.  At which point, I'm usually in range to kill.  I can't possibly recommend this build more strongly.  Try it out, most of the other decks aren't ready, and when you hit them it's GG. 

1v1"Creature Count"

60 Cards. 38 nonlands (24 creatures, 14 spells). 22 Lands (22).

cost  3 cards 
 Spell â� â� â�  Rancor   
   cost  11 cards 
 Creature â�  Fauna Shaman  2/2   
â� â� â�  Garruk's Companion  3/2   
â� â� â�  Kalonian Tusker  3/3   
 Spell â� â� â� â�  Nature's Lore   
   cost  12 cards 
 Creature â� â�  Eternal Witness  2/1   
â� â� â�  Gloomwidow  3/3   
â�  Leatherback Baloth  4/5   
â�  Predator Ooze  1/1   
â� â�  Sacred Wolf  3/1   
 Spell â�  Beastmaster Ascension   
â�  Elephant Guide   
â�  Pulse of the Tangle   
   cost  5 cards 
 Creature â�  Brawn  3/3   
â� â�  Cudgel Troll  4/3   
â�  Fangren Firstborn  4/2   
â�  Master of the Wild Hunt  3/3   
   cost  7 cards 
 Creature â�  Bellowing Tanglewurm  4/4   
â� â�  Sentinel Spider  4/4   
 Spell â� â� â�  Overrun   
â�  Overwhelming Stampede   

erdana; font-size:9px">Made with MysteriousMisterP's deck planner.

erdana">

2 sacred wolf but no oakenform?  1 elephant guide not enough to abuse wolves.

2 + 2 = fish

2 sacred wolf but no oakenform?  1 elephant guide not enough to abuse wolves.

And you think adding two crappy creature echantments in a 60 card deck would make the difference?

One of your worst comments so far, and most of them have been terrible. 
You can put oakenform on any of the 3/3 creatures for a 6/6 on turn 3.  You can also get a 6/5 with trample or a 6/4 with hexproof.  The two wolves with one toughness have one toughness and die almost immediately to everything barring you getting that guide.  Getting overrun or ascension out.... your wolves will not be their main target anyway.

2 + 2 = fish

You can put oakenform on any of the 3/3 creatures for a 6/6 on turn 3. You can also get a 6/5 with trample or a 6/4 with hexproof.

I'm afraid I must agree with DJ. You can try to get a 6/6 or 6/5 Trample on T3, but you'll be walking right into a 2-for-1 more often than not. The only creature that's really worth putting Oakenform on is the Wolf, and with only 2 copies of both it's not a reliable enough combo to waste spots on a bad enchantment.

Besides, if your game plan revolves around "abusing" Sacred Wolf, then you're in real trouble before the game even starts.
You can put oakenform on any of the 3/3 creatures for a 6/6 on turn 3.  You can also get a 6/5 with trample or a 6/4 with hexproof.  The two wolves with one toughness have one toughness and die almost immediately to everything barring you getting that guide.  Getting overrun or ascension out.... your wolves will not be their main target anyway.

That's exactly why the comment is bad.  You're arguing for the inclusion of a terrible card just because it helps out another bad card.  I don't want to run the wolves, but I need creatures at 3 CMC and so I have to.  I'm certainly not going to add even more crappy cards into the deck just because they have some - not even good - synergy with one of the worst cards in my deck.

You really don't seem to understand this game man.  And today, I really don't have time to argue with you.  Oakenform, IMO, doesn't belong in any HS build. I know some people have been using it, but they are making a mistake.  You're much better off playing a creature turn 3, and another (maybe even 2) turn 4 if possible, thus setting yourself up for overrun with 3 creatures or more, which will end the game right then. 
Actually, I would argue for the inclusion of oakenform over wolf, first of all.  I would also probably then say that the oakenform and the ascencsion should be replaced by 2 rampaging baloths and primalcrux.  But he does not seem to want big dudes, so....... in a weenie deck I would advocate the two enchantments.

2 + 2 = fish

Actually, I would argue for the inclusion of oakenform over wolf, first of all.  I would also probably then say that the oakenform and the ascencsion should be replaced by 2 rampaging baloths and primalcrux.  But he does not seem to want big dudes, so....... in a weenie deck I would advocate the two enchantments.

You need to maximize the creature count in an overrun deck.  Hence wolves over Oakenform.  But even then, let me list the non-creature spells that are all better than Oakenform, that are not currently included in this deck:

Revive,
Savage Summoning,
Enlarge,
Prey Upon, and arguably
Bramblecrush

All of them would make more sense. 

If I allow 6 CMC cards:
Primeval Bounty, and
Decree of Savagery are also better.

Actually, Decree of Savagery is under consideration as a replacement for Ascension, but that's besides the point.

EDIT: and of course you WOULD think a 6 CMC card is better than a 3 CMC card.  Of course, you don't seem to realize that the 3 CMC card gets played much earlier... /sigh 
Then I would advocate you running any of the cards you listed over wolves.  And, I do not think decree of savagery is better than primalcrux.  By the time you can cast them, one puts 4/4 extra on something, the other gets very fat with trample.

Also, baloths and primalcrux are worth running over wolves in any deck.  Running a terrible card becasue you want that extra creature does not do anyone any good.  It just means that terrible card will die on the first attack. 

2 + 2 = fish

Also, your deck kind of seems to rely on getting one of 4 5cmc cards by your own admission..... 6 cmc is not that unbelievable at that point.  And they are much much better than wolves, especially with the swarming per forest.

2 + 2 = fish

Sign In to post comments