Magic 2014 "Hunter's Strength" Decklist and Strategies

737 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well mono green beatdown is pretty much a magic archtype, so having a deck dedicated to it makes sense in dotp and Garruk fits that archtype. Doesn't mean we can't have another "more interesting" mono green deck

I don't have a problem with mono green beatdown, my problem is that the Garruk deck is always a Beast tribal deck. Forest's Fury was also a mono green beatdown deck, but it was way more interesting to play. Not just because it was a Treefolk deck, but also because while it was beatdown it had some very good green removal spells.. And they didn't feel like they were out of place at all!

I don't NOT want to have a green beatdown deck, but I want the deck to be fun and preferably one of the better decks in the metagame. Garruk's decks so far have been kind of a let down. Although I also want the burn deck to be good because a good burn deck is always positive for the metagame, so maybe I'm asking too much if I want both to be good (the better mono-green beatdown is, the worse burn would probably be as a result).

It just feels like they're making Garruk's deck to be kind of a starter deck with a side of Timmy-ness, with nothing too fancy or complex so that the newer players can get into it. As a result, I've never really enjoyed his decks, but I can see the need for a deck like that though..
Hi! I run a YouTube channel at YouTube.com/user/NemosChannel. I upload Duels of the Planeswalkers gameplay, deckbuilds, and even Tier List videos. It's the best place for strategy and silly humor. Drop by and see!
dude! christamas tree deck was the  truth! Im telling ya! No lie! But was kinda glitchy...Harbinger let you put a dude on top but then didnt shuffle so you knew what was coming....kinda janky and cheat but whatever was cool!!

If they give green some of those 1/1 tap for mana dudes! OOO yea its gonna get real!! I mean those exalted lands basically do the same thing only they aren't a dude so it must be possible!! 

I don't have a problem with mono green beatdown, my problem is that the Garruk deck is always a Beast tribal deck. Forest's Fury was also a mono green beatdown deck, but it was way more interesting to play. Not just because it was a Treefolk deck, but also because while it was beatdown it had some very good green removal spells.. And they didn't feel like they were out of place at all!

Well Garruk isn't even beast tribal, if it had a real beast tribal theme going on with cards like Krosan warchief, Ravenous Baloth and Wirewood Savage it would properly be more interesting (and more enjoyable for you).

I don't NOT want to have a green beatdown deck, but I want the deck to be fun and preferably one of the better decks in the metagame. Garruk's decks so far have been kind of a let down. Although I also want the burn deck to be good because a good burn deck is always positive for the metagame, so maybe I'm asking too much if I want both to be good (the better mono-green beatdown is, the worse burn would probably be as a result).

It just feels like they're making Garruk's deck to be kind of a starter deck with a side of Timmy-ness, with nothing too fancy or complex so that the newer players can get into it. As a result, I've never really enjoyed his decks, but I can see the need for a deck like that though..

Yeah I think this is right on the money. There's a reason Garruk's deck is always one of the decks that's unlocked from the start. It's clearly meant to be an easy beginner deck, that doesn't have to many fancy interactions that can confuse new players. I understand your dissapointment, but we gotta remember that dotp is targeted at new players as well as veteran ones, so having an "easy-to-learn" deck is properly never going to go away. As long as the deck is competitive and not a complete mess like it was in dotp 12, I personally don't mind.
Well again, as mentioned last year, they're kinda bound by the whole "Planeswalkers" thing, and while there are some PLaneswalkers that can take a break now and then (Like Sorin and Elspeth last year), Garruk and Nissa are the only Mono-Green Planeswalkers they've got and Garruk is FAR more likely to appear, being the more iconic representation of Green. If they use both, you're getting Elf-Tribal and Beasts every year and as much as you don't like Beasts, getting Elf-Tribal every year is going to be boring as **** without a mana pool...

So... Gotta take the good with the bad.

Also, this year's Garruk is faster than last year's so... There's that too.
PI was great and a blast to win with. I feel it always gets such a bad rap for being "too simple" or "too Timmy." But that shouldn't take away from the deck itself...it's pretty effective at what it does. It's removal, while lacking, is relatively effective, and it's very much in the flavor of the deck.

As stated, I WOULD like to see his decks become ACTUAL tribal, and not just a mishmash of "Big dudes and some animals, maybe with Garruk in the name or Flavor."  Something to just give this deck that little extra oomph it needs at times.
Updated the list with new cards.
Hey Red if you're adding cards, you might as well put in the 2 extra prey upon and one extra tusker that were found on page 4 of this tread
Ahhh, i didn't read all posts, thank you very much
2x Stuff of the Wild Magus (New Card)

I think that is Staff of the Wild Magus, but I could be seeing it wrong. 
The new M14 card Enlarge is also in Garruk's deck as seen here:

So wait, are there two mono green decks?

yes

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

yes

(sigh) just wen i thought this wuld b the first Dotp without a noobie mono green deck

yes

(sigh) just wen i thought this wuld b the first Dotp without a noobie mono green deck

Green's almost up there with Blue these days. Has been for six or seven years now. I have no idea why people still think it is a "noob" colour. What's it going to take, a solid year of nothing but Green decks in every T8 slot? Nah, 'cause if that happens, it'll be because R&D accidentally printed something broken and then you're a no-skill noob if you use it.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

yes

Green's almost up there with Blue these days. Has been for six or seven years now. I have no idea why people still think it is a "noob" colour. What's it going to take, a solid year of nothing but Green decks in every T8 slot? Nah, 'cause if that happens, it'll be because R&D accidentally printed something broken and then you're a no-skill noob if you use it.

well its not a noob color dont get me wrong i love ramp and and some of the strategies green offers but in every Dotp, they always have that 1 green deck whose only method of winning is waiting till u get a big creature that can get through your opponets defense. Its been improving every game by taking out overrun and adding green removal but still with the same boring concept.   I dont mind mono green decks like Ancient Wilds and the Treefolk one from 2012 aswell as the newest eldrazi 2014 one.
Word. Stalling into fat green guys isn't nearly as rewarding or tactical as weenie rushing. Or stalling until mirror. Or running off every low costed mill spell to beat the opponent in 6 turns. Or ramping into Eldrazi. Et cetera et cetera. AW had some variety, but even treefolk was just "ramp into something big or something that tramples for the win" only it was tribal.
Here is a new card, Since we know both enter the dracomancer and chant of mul daya decks this card must be in Garruks deck.

www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/23/magic-2014-du...
Here is a new card, Since we know both enter the dracomancer and chant of mul daya decks this card must be in Garruks deck.

www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/23/magic-2014-du...

That card has been spoiled for ages. It's listed as being spoiled on May 18th on Mythic Spoiler.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

My bad guess I was late.
This card could be also in the draftcardpool, we don't know.
Yay, another mediocre Garruk deck.  (Not in terms of power, just in terms of playing it being fun.)

I hope all the rest of the cards are new, because right now it's 90% cards that have been in Duels before.  Why make a new game every year and keep using the same old cards?  (If Vampire Nighthawk is in this game, I swear to God...)
Yay, another mediocre Garruk deck.  (Not in terms of power, just in terms of playing it being fun.)

I hope all the rest of the cards are new, because right now it's 90% cards that have been in Duels before.  Why make a new game every year and keep using the same old cards?  (If Vampire Nighthawk is in this game, I swear to God...)

Wouldn't be a Dotp without trusty old Garruk and his green beasts.

I agree. I started with 2012 and then 2013. Backtracked to 09 and it was then I realised...wait they are just using the same cards over and over for most decks instead of using newer, up to date cards. Its not like it would cut into their real card sales. It never does for Yugioh.

I agree. I started with 2012 and then 2013. Backtracked to 09 and it was then I realised...wait they are just using the same cards over and over for most decks instead of using newer, up to date cards. Its not like it would cut into their real card sales. It never does for Yugioh.

Well Garruks deck is meant to be the beginner deck and is also pretty much the only Dotp deck which have had the general same theme/style of play in each literation of duels (Chandra could maybe fit here as well). It's there so that new players have an easy deck to play with when they learn the rules.
So it serves a purpose that will always need to be servered, and as long as the deck is competitive I really don't mind.

Well Garruks deck is meant to be the beginner deck and is also pretty much the only Dotp deck which have had the general same theme/style of play in each literation of duels (Chandra could maybe fit here as well). It's there so that new players have an easy deck to play with when they learn the rules.
So it serves a purpose that will always need to be servered, and as long as the deck is competitive I really don't mind.

I realise that and I always enjoy playing Garruks deck since I like green as a colour but they could seriously add more newer cards to each version of the game.

I realise that and I always enjoy playing Garruks deck since I like green as a colour but they could seriously add more newer cards to each version of the game.

Well out of the 14 cards we know from the deck now, 6 haven't been in Dotp before, so I don't think you need to worry to much.

Well out of the 14 cards we know from the deck now, 6 haven't been in Dotp before, so I don't think you need to worry to much.

I mean overall for all decks. Especially Masks of Dimir...maybe I was expecting too much but I expected 80-90% of the deck to be the newer Ravnica block. At least then the deck would be decent (I do not mean OP).

Seriously Vengeful Vampire wtf. I'm no expert but its like they purposefully add bad cards to create "balance"

I mean overall for all decks. Especially Masks of Dimir...maybe I was expecting too much but I expected 80-90% of the deck to be the newer Ravnica block. At least then the deck would be decent (I do not mean OP).

Seriously Vengeful Vampire wtf. I'm no expert but its like they purposefully add bad cards to create "balance"

90% RTR block would have been pretty boring IMO. I think the strength of duels is that's it's a format that can combine cards from pretty much all eras of magic, without creating "I win on turn 3" modern type decks. Masks is a pretty bad deck on paper, but I don't think it's because of a lack of RTR cards.
From the new encounters video Sean posted, we now know that this deck also has:

2 x Garruk's companion (compared to the 1 in the work-in-process list)
2 x Overrun
1 x Regal Force
From the new encounters video Sean posted, we now know that this deck also has:

2 x Garruk's companion (compared to the 1 in the work-in-process list)
2 x Overrun
1 x Regal Force

Regal Force looks expensive, wonder if Garruk's Packleader will be back in this case.
Bring back Thrun The Last Troll. ill be happy haha but seriously that is one of my favorite cards Garruk had in his deck. i would think Garruks packleader would be back, I don't mind some card draw.
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

all these spoilers poppin up makin me think games comin early this year!! get HYPE fUUU!!
Dat Brawn ...
Dat Overwhelming Stampede ...
Dat deck

Awful lot of pump in this deck 
all these spoilers poppin up makin me think games comin early this year!! get HYPE fUUU!!

yea im starting to think the same thing neo really hoping it comes out this tuesday fingers crossed man

Hmm. Very vanilla. But Bellowing Tanglewurm could lead to some quick victories...
Holy cow, this deck looks nuts, 3x Overrun and an Overwhelming Stampede?  3x Rancor...Wow, this deck will be brutal!  Loving me that  Predator Ooze as well!  Also like anything that can destroy lands like Bramblecrush.  Will be good against the tri-colors especially.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Looks like Garruk got some nice new toys this year. I think every mono green deck in DotP should have Dungrove Elder, but at least this one has Predator Ooze.

Also, am I the only one thinking Kalonian Hydra is, in fact, Kalonian Tusker?

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013