New player questions.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm looking to buy and start playing MTGO soon. I'm a new magic player and currently am playing Planeswalkers 2012 for practice. No i'm aware that decks can cost anywhere from 5-700 dollars. Although i'm on a very low budget. Would playing pauper be a better starting choice for me? I've heard that since pauper is common only the average deck price is much lower than standard, or say extended. 

Some of my research has brought me here: puremtgo.com/articles/anything-introduct...

I was thinking of buying the cheapest top tier deck, IzzetPost. Or one of the cheaper mid tier decks. At least until i can save money for more expensive standard decks. Also, is the info on this page still current?
Yes playing pauper is the normal advice we give for people on a budget.
I'd check some of his more recent articles to make sure you have an up to date deck as there where a few card bannings this year. The general advice though is still good.

Also I should point out that if you only wanted to play casually you can play fairly cheep decks in the casual room and do ok. You don't need top tier decks to play there, it is generally frowned on to be playing $500 decks in casual.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

Ah i see. Well i might do competitive play eventually, if my skill ever reaches the point. 

And while we're on the subject, do you know of a current pauper deck that is pretty good and cheap? 
Ah i see. Well i might do competitive play eventually, if my skill ever reaches the point. 

And while we're on the subject, do you know of a current pauper deck that is pretty good and cheap? 

There was an article yesterday on Daily MTG that featured a green Pauper deck. You can find it HERE. I haven't tried the deck myself but if it has Sam Black's seal of approval it can't be too bad.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline