[M14-ICD] Staff of the Wild Magus

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Staff of the Wild Magus
Artifact (U)
Whenever you cast a green spell or a Forest enters the battlefield under your control, you gain 1 life

From PAX East.

Discuss.  

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Why must Wizards insist on continuing to print horrible stuff like this at uncommon?
If this is a cycle, I can see I'm going to have uncommon pulls in M14 Sealed that I'm going to want to tear into pieces on the spot.
Potentially worse than the Lucky Charms cycle - costs more, only works for your spells and not your opponent's...
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
The good news though is that Garruk's deck in Duels 2014 will have Master of the Wild Hunt, one of my favorite creatures.
And there's the Creepy Doll That always follows you It's got a ruined eye That's always open And there's a Creepy Doll That always follows you It's got a pretty mouth To swallow you whole
Should just be a single card that says "Whenever you play a card, you gain 1 life" instead of a cycle. It's not like it would be broken in multicolor decks.
Should just be a single card that says "Whenever you play a card, you gain 1 life" instead of a cycle. It's not like it would be broken in multicolor decks.

We just had Tablet of the Guilds that saved 9 slots.

This looks a lot better than it is, because unlike the other lucky charms it doesnt work in the mirror match. And the worst thing is that even when it "looks a lot better than it is", it still doesnt look good.   

This should have been or should have counted your opponent's stuff. It didnt need 2 drawbacks.

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
You would expect a Staff of the Wild Magus to be significantly... wilder.
I'd prefer the rings back.
Rings were better.

Lucky charms were better -- they only ever really paid off in the mirror anyway

Tablet of the guilds also better, since you could gain 2 off multicolored spells with one card.

I guess this one, in particular, might be useful if you're pulling a ton of forests, but then I'd rather have Grazing Gladehart

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Could this suggest a reprint of Master of the Wild Hunt? That's the vibe I'm getting.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Lets just replace this cycle with Pristine Talisman. It's an artifact, it's got life gain, it's simple, it actually does something useful, and it has a nice generic name. 
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
I'd second that, but I think R&D wants to include a full cycle of artifacts associated with the colors. They like coming up with new limited-friendly cards.

I was hoping for the trigger rings to stay

but at least they are trying something kinda new with the lucky charms
proud member of the 2011 community team
I'd second that, but I think R&D wants to include a full cycle of artifacts associated with the colors. They like coming up with new limited-friendly cards.

Also, Pristine Talisman (as much as I love it) is a powerful card, and they might not want it in Standard all the time.
Nooo.....they're back and even worse this time than the originals.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

I could only assume that the blue one is the best, but that's hardly because the card itself is good. ;)
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
at least the lucky charms were whenever anybody casts a spell, this limits to only you

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
You could add "DRAW A CARD" to it and it would still suck.
Well hello there Mr. Five-cent-super-crappy-uncommon who will single handedly prevent me from buying a single pack of M14 or even draft the set.

Hah - you know you're going to buy them anyways.  You'll moan and groan about this card when you get it, but you're gonna pop packs whether you like it or not.

We're all on this drug together.
You could add "DRAW A CARD" to it and it would still suck.

When you play it? Or off each trigger? If it was off each trigger then that would really be worth using. Think Twice becomes instant speed Divination, that and Island turns into a psedo-Last Thoughts.....I......holy crap, I want that card now. So many uses
at least the lucky charms were whenever anybody casts a spell, this limits to only you

because that makes it so much better
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)

because that makes it so much better

It made them semi-viable in RDW mirrors, so that's a thing I guess

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
These should have been a blend of the rings and the lucky charms.

Either gain the life if unequipped or equipped creature gets +1/+1 on landfall or colored spell casting 

3DH4LIF3

Ooh, a cycle of Equipment that puts a +1/+1 counter on the equipped creature whenever you cast a spell of the appropriate color? Combining the best of both worlds sounds like an enticing idea. Would that work at uncommon?

Sign In to post comments