YMTC 4 - Land submissions that weren't

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
Did you have a land design ready to go for YMTC4?  Post it here!

Here's mine:

Land
T, Return CARDNAME to its owner's hand: Untap up to two target lands.

What do you think?  Playable?  Broken?
Generally two-mana lands have bigger drawbacks; City of Traitors is too good and this isn't any worse. Plus, since you can replay it, this can make six mana on turn four. Lands alone shouldn't be nearly that effective at ramping.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Sapping Grounds --
Land (U)

:BM::GM:, :T:: Each player loses 1 life. Add :BM::GM: to your mana pool.

"This land is dark and venomous. It certainly is slow, but it will catch you if you don't watch your back."
-Hamivus Guide-

==xx==

This would've been my favorite card ever if it ever saw print.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
My thoughts are:

1. Tempo Town is an awesome name
2. Probably too abusable. Wizards wouldn't allow it without extensive playtesting, which I don't think works well for YMtC
3.  Seriously man, Tempo Town. Sweet.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
A pet design of mine from a long time ago:

Inert Plaza
Land
, : Inert Plaza gains ": Add to your mana pool."

Generally two-mana lands have bigger drawbacks; City of Traitors is too good and this isn't any worse. Plus, since you can replay it, this can make six mana on turn four. Lands alone shouldn't be nearly that effective at ramping.

It's a lot worse than Ancient Tomb, since every time you play it puts you a land drop behind your opponent.  Your card is more powerful than mine, I think.

EDIT: Oh, you changed your card.  Yeah, I guess City of Traitors would be a fair comparison.

Sapping Grounds

Nice one!  Was it too good with "T: Add 1", or was that a design choice?

Inert Plaza
Land

That's lovely Shazzeh. I would be perfectly pleased with this card.

My personal favourite land that I've designed - I think. I didn't actually look through all of them:

Back Alley
Land
: Add  to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if you have no cards in your hand.
Discard 7 cards: Search your library for a card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

"You can get anything you want in Narcoxia, if the price is right."
- Jime, Peddler of Stimilos 

Might need different flavour as Narcoxia was my plane and is not Wizards Kosher. Plus "Back Alley" is a good name, but is it good enough?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.

Inert Plaza
Land

My personal favourite land that I've designed - I think. I didn't actually look through all of them:

Back Alley
Land
: Add  to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if you have no cards in your hand.
Discard 7 cards: Search your library for a card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Might need different flavour as Narcoxia was my plane and is not Wizards Kosher. Plus "Back Alley" is a good name, but is it good enough?

broken. go on the draw, discard your hand for free, including any dumb fatty, find reanimate, declare the spell, then activate the mana ability now that no cards are in your hand, bring back whatever dumb fatty you discarded.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Hmmm. Good point, but in this case you're investing a lot in that one creature. I think the "dies to removal" argument might be a little bit valid here. Seeing as this is also pretty combo-y. I mean, you could mulligan repeatedly until you begin with this card in your hand, but you also need to discard 7 cards, so basing a deck around this card is probably not a wise decision - although I could see it becoming a thing in casual.

Anyway, I don't think "broken" is the word - perhaps "swingy" is better. Wizards probably wouldn't want it to be the highly publicized card of their 20th anniversary, that's for sure. 

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Tamiyo's Forgotten Atoll
Legendary Land
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add to your mana pool.
When Tamiyo's Forgotten Atoll enters the battlefield, you may search your library for any number of land cards and exile them. Then shuffle your library.
Hmmm. Good point, but in this case you're investing a lot in that one creature. I think the "dies to removal" argument might be a little bit valid here. Seeing as this is also pretty combo-y. I mean, you could mulligan repeatedly until you begin with this card in your hand, but you also need to discard 7 cards, so basing a deck around this card is probably not a wise decision - although I could see it becoming a thing in casual.

depends what the creature is.

Inert Plaza
Land

Well now I'm even sadder enchantment won the vote
This upset over the defunct land got me thinking. I eventually came up with an idea using DSC to give a nonland card on the front, and on the back is a land that you may play as a land. It's such an obvious way to clean up mana screws.

Earthcaller
Creature - Elf Shaman
When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Terraform - (You may play this face down as though it were a land card. If you do, it enters the battlefield tapped.)
1/1
/////////////////
Forest

<3

Inert Plaza
Land

I don't think it would have won. While it's a really cool card from a design standpoint, it's not all that fun to play with.

I hadn't thought about it too much, but I would at least have submitted:

Watefall
Land
You may play an additional land on each of your turns.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Inert Plaza
Land

Back Alley
Land

broken. go on the draw, discard your hand for free, including any dumb fatty, find reanimate, declare the spell, then activate the mana ability now that no cards are in your hand, bring back whatever dumb fatty you discarded.

just jam a timing restriction on ability 1
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
This was an idea I had. Haven't sorted out whether it's reasonable or not.

Highway

Land
You may have Highway enter the battlefield tapped. If you do, you may play an additional land this tun.
Great Labyrinth
Land

: Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool. If you spend this mana to cast a permanent spell, it enters the battlefield tapped and its activated abilities cannot be activated until your next untap step.
Fblthp had never been fond of walls, either.
Mirrorworld
Land
Mirrorworld enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add w to your mana pool.
T, Sacrifice Mirrorworld: Put a token onto the battlefield thats a copy of target creature with converted mana cost 1 or less.
I can't imagine anyone accepting this as viable, but:

Lifeless Void
Land
Lifeless Void doesn't count towards your land per turn limit.

Barter Market
Land
: Add a mana of any color a creature on the battlefield shares a color with to your mana pool.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/

Inert Plaza
Land

I don't think it would have won. While it's a really cool card from a design standpoint, it's not all that fun to play with.

I know I would play it in my kiki-jiki EDH. So that obviously counts for a lot.

cough

This is a lot worse than city in most context. i.e. Eternal formats. You know, unless you exploration, this does nothing before turn three... And you know, sometimes game are already done by then.

This is very powerful, but it's definitely worse than the other contenders that gives two mana straight up.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Control Point
Land

:T:: Add to your mana pool.
Whenever a creature deals combat damage to you, its controller gains control of Control Point.
Orrin, the Dreaming City
Land
Whenever a land enters the battlefield, put a reflection counter on it.
~ has all land types of each other land with a reflection counter on it.
I was there but a day, but when I left, the rest of the world was pale in comparison.
Library of Lenn
Land
Library of Lenn enters the battlefield tapped with two loyalty counters on it.
: Until your next turn, Library of Lenn becomes a Lenn planeswalker with "+1: Draw a card" and "-5: Draw five cards." 

This would never happen, would it.
Control Point
Land

Whenever a creature deals combat damage to you, its controller gains control of Control Point.

this is actually hella cute.

Control Point
Land

this is actually hella cute.

I think wotc decided that the drawback is not worthy for such a big effect.
And i kinda agree

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Melting Pot
Land

, Tap an untapped creature you control: Add one mana of any color the tapped creature isn't to your mana pool. 

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

This would have been mine. The effects actually from an artifact for a set I'm working on, but it works as a land too.

Explorer's Path
Land
, : Search your library for a land card and reveal it. If it shares a name with a land you control, put it into your graveyard. Otherwise, put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
It takes you places you've never been.

Might need ": Add to your mana pool." I know Wizards has issues with making lands that don't produce mana. Activation cost might be a bit low as well, since, as an artifact, you had to cast it. Also, could cause problems with Crucible of Worlds or dredge, maybe, I don't know.
Astral Palace
Land
At the beginning of your end step, you may exile Astral Palace. If you do, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of your next upkeep.
Library of Lenn
Land
Library of Lenn enters the battlefield tapped with two loyalty counters on it.
: Until your next turn, Library of Lenn becomes a Lenn planeswalker with "+1: Draw a card" and "-5: Draw five cards." 

This would never happen, would it.

I like this one.

I once made a card

Layne the Beach Incarnate
Planeswalker Land - Layne
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
[3 loyalty]     

Chromatic Altar
Land
Whenever Chromatic Altar becomes tapped for mana, add two mana of any color to your mana pool.
"A king is measured by his people. A villain by his power. But a hero? A hero is measured by his sacrifice."
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Chromatic Altar
Land
Whenever Chromatic Altar becomes tapped for mana, add two mana of any color to your mana pool.
"A king is measured by his people. A villain by his power. But a hero? A hero is measured by his sacrifice."

That's pretty easy with urborg, tomb of yawgmoth or prismatic omen or joiner adept and probably other things and then you have a land that taps for 3
there's nothing wrong with easy, sometimes.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
lands are good for carrying ablilties one wouldn't otherwise use independently
Sacrifice
Soldevi Adnate
NO WAR

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?

Clogging Sewer 
Land 
: Add to your mana pool. ~ loses all other abilities.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Lunar Panorama
Land

:T: Add to your mana pool.
Instant and sorcery spells cast with mana from ~ gain lifelink.

Clogging Sewer 
Land 

That's better than a Swamp.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Clogging Sewer 
Land 

and an island.

Clogging Sewer 
Land 

and an island.

Really? I thought nothing was better than an Island.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Sign In to post comments