Puzzle - find a 15 card cycle

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Most cycles are 5 cards - usually one of each color, like the Denizens (Court Street Denizen). Some cycles are ten cards - usually one of each color pair, like the Guildmages (Nivix Guildmage). There have been at least two twenty card cycles, the most recent being the off color flashback cycle from Innistrad / Dark Ascension, which was each color pair but the 'direction' mattered (Ray of Revelation is the opposite direction to Travel Preparations).

There is a way to make a 15 card cycle. It has nothing to do with rarities / card types etc, only to do with colors. (The three 'Magus of' cycles from Time Spiral Block are not the answer). It does not favor ally colors over enemy colors or vice versa. It doesn't currently exist in Magic. The puzzle is to figure out how to do it. (I have a solution in mind, but will also accept reasonable alternative solutions to the same puzzle).
A cycle including all ten color pairs and all five four-color combinations (let's say Nephalim Charms, pretending that you could fit them into the Ravnica Charm cycle).

Similarly, all three-color combinations, plus the five four-color combinations.

Alternately, if you include Snow as a sixth type of mana, you have 15 color pairs. All 10 traditional ones, plus each color paired with Snow. 
The simplest version I can think of is to extend the Ultimatum cycle so that each color within each trio is given the heavier weight (So you have , , and ). It is ugly as all get out, and it seems difficult to design for such subtlies, but it still fits the criteria for a 15 card cycle.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Most cycles are 5 cards - usually one of each color, like the Denizens (Court Street Denizen). Some cycles are ten cards - usually one of each color pair, like the Guildmages (Nivix Guildmage). There have been at least two twenty card cycles, the most recent being the off color flashback cycle from Innistrad / Dark Ascension, which was each color pair but the 'direction' mattered (Ray of Revelation is the opposite direction to Travel Preparations).

There is a way to make a 15 card cycle. It has nothing to do with rarities / card types etc, only to do with colors. (The three 'Magus of' cycles from Time Spiral Block are not the answer). It does not favor ally colors over enemy colors or vice versa. It doesn't currently exist in Magic. The puzzle is to figure out how to do it. (I have a solution in mind, but will also accept reasonable alternative solutions to the same puzzle).

I've done it... it uses two hybrids of four colors.
I did a contest once, I got bored because it didn't quite work... I'll see if I can link to it...
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Here's the mana costs of a fifteen card cycle...

And then my idea for it... not very good but it is an idea...
Adaptive Militia -- :gwm::urm:
Creature - Human Soldier (R)

First Strike
If you spent :GM: to cast Adaptive Militia, it enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
If you spent :UM: to cast Adaptive Militia, it has hexproof instead of first strike.

2 / 2

===xxx===

The concept is it is a four color card, but technically it's two of those four colors. And it can be whatever it needs to be in the given situation.
It's "base" color is :WM::RM: but it has the opportunity to "become" three different other color combinations.
:WM::RM:: A 2/2 with first strike. (Base)
:WM::UM:: A 2/2 with hexproof.
:GM::RM:: A 3/3 with first strike.
:GM::UM:: A 3/3 with hexproof.

===xxx===

So then the rest of the cycle would be

NAME -- [A/B][C/D]
Creature - type (R)

Ability 1 (for if card was A), Ability 2 (for if card was C)
If you spent B to cast NAME, Ability 3 instead of Ability 1.
If you spent D to cast NAME, Ability 4 instead of Ability 2.

P / T

Powerlevel aside... This is how I see the cycle working (feel free to interpret differently), just remember currently we're doing:

:WUM::BRM:, not what I designed for...
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Well, that was easier than I thought.

Rouge Four, I wouldn't count your first two suggestions since they're just two cycles stapled together, but the snow one is clever.

Doctor D, that's a nice answer, if you wanted to reduce the subtleties then try making it three mana of one color and one mana of each other color. Unfortunately, that answer favors ally color triplets over enemy color triplets so doesn't really fit the criteria.

altimis, that's basically the answer I had in mind, except instead of hybrids I used split cards. wu//br, wb//ur, and ub//rw, then repeat for the other four four-color combinations. 
altimis, that's basically the answer I had in mind, except instead of hybrids I used split cards. wu//br, wb//ur, and ub//rw, then repeat for the other four four-color combinations. 

That's a lot neater than my idea. I don't like it... lol 8^p

Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Another way would be to mix vertical and horizontal cycles. So have a cycle that is 3 cards in each colour, one of each rarity (common, uncommon, rare, leaving out mythic for simplicity)

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Sign In to post comments