Shields

The description of shields under Armor Categories maintains that shields can be used as weapons in combat (Equipment 2), but the attack's description has been removed from the description of shields under Armor Descriptions (Equipment 4).

Are we no longer able to make an attack with a shield? 

Danny

I'm not sure if a basic shield can be used for an attack outside of feats and what not. There is however a spiked shield in the weapons section that does 1d6 damage.
Maybe it's an improvised weapon that deals 1d4 damage.
Getting bashed in the face with a shield only hurts if there are spikes attached...
yeah.
I think that the Devs should go ahead and test that out for us.  I want to see the video evidence where one of them gets hit in the face with an unspiked shield and doesn't get hurt.
I think the improvised weapon rules cover it. A shield bash used to do 1d4, which is what you'd get for a light improvised weapon in this system. It could be spelled out better, though.
At the moment Spiked Shield is broken too, it is just listed as a normal Light Weapon that can be dual wielded

The problem with this is, I havent found anywhere that said Shield bonus is exclusive, easily netting you +4 AC while TWF 1d6

This basically

While they removed the sentence from Shield's description that could be used to make melee attack with it, they didn't remove the sentence in the Armor Categories saying shields could be used as weapon in combat. With improvised weapons anything basically ''can be used as weapons in combat''

If you are proficient with a shield, you can use it to make a melee attack that deals 1d4 bludgeoning damage

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

At the moment Spiked Shield is broken too, it is just listed as a normal Light Weapon that can be dual wielded

The problem with this is, I havent found anywhere that said Shield bonus is exclusive, easily netting you +4 AC while TWF 1d6

you mean to dual wield spiked shields?

This basically

While they removed the sentence from Shield's description that could be used to make melee attack with it, they didn't remove the sentence in the Armor Categories saying shields could be used as weapon in combat. With improvised weapons anything basically ''can be used as weapons in combat''

If you are proficient with a shield, you can use it to make a melee attack that deals 1d4 bludgeoning damage

My question, then, is: Do I maintain proficiency with the shield as an improvised weapon, or do I attack with disadvantage?

I mean, I'm allowing a proficient attack at 1d4 in my games (because it's the sensible thing to do), but they definitely muddled the waters with ambiguity here.

Danny

I'd treat shield as being similar to a club and attacks would not be made with disadvantage if proficient with one of these. It's DM's discretion afterall Wink

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

If youre attacking with your shield just make it a Spike Shield, then it does damage exactly the same as a 1d6 weapon
If youre attacking with your shield just make it a Spike Shield, then it does damage exactly the same as a 1d6 weapon

If you're proficient with martial weapons.