Planet Pulverizing Pixie

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
Guess I started this in the wrong spot, got told it should be here....

"So not 100% sure where this thread should go so I'm starting here.
My boyfriend plays D&D and I thought a cool surprise would be to learn how to play and create a character for myself.

So I started reading some of his books and tried to get myself started.  I wanted to be a cute and adorable little something that could get pissed off and obliterate a planet (figuratively speaking).

So after reading Player Handbooks, and Savage Species books, and Monster Manuals.... (aside from getting a headache) I came to the conclusion that I want to be a Male Pixie Sorcerer.

Printed myself a Character Sheet, rolled my dice and then got completely lost.  My rolls were 11, 12, 14, 18, 15, 18 (yes people keep saying I have a horseshoe factory shoved somewhere).  As a magic user I know that my best scores should go into INT, CHA, WIS, CON.  But then I start reading about racial modifiers and base modifiers.....

I just want to get a basic level 1 character made within the week as I know they are planning to start a brand new campaign after easter with all them starting with new characters.

Not sure if it really matters but the big Dungeon Master Guide says 3.5 (I'm assuming its a version # and like other RPG's and such games there are probably differences in rules and such between versions)."
First of all, welcome to the game!
Second... I highly recommend you don't try playing that as your first character. Being a Sorceror is fine, if slightly complicated. But the pixie (and pretty much any other non-standard race) adds immensely to the complexity. If you want something small & cute with world-shattering power, try playing a Halfling or gnome Sorceror first.
Two... Ah ah ah! Three.. Ah ah ah! Four... Ah ah ah! Six... Ah ah ah!!
88534793 wrote:
Punctuation exists for a reason, and your neglect of the shift key is to the point where Social Services should be involved.
I'm going to second Count Von Coc.  Pixie would be a terrible choice for a first character.  Here's why.

Playable creatures, like pixies, that are more powerful than a normal race, like a human or halfling, usually get something called a Level Adjustment, or LA for short.  Level adjustments are basically empty levels.  You don't get anything from them that you normally would get from gaining levels like hit points, attack bonuses, class abilities, and so on.  But they do count towards determining how strong your character is considered to be. 

For example, the lowest LA a pixie can have is +4.  So a Level 1 Pixie Sorcerer would actually be considered a 5th level character, even though he's only toting around the weakest of spells and has the durability of a gnat.  Not a good combination for a first character.

If you want to be a cute, small there are some easier alternatives.  Halfling and gnomes are obvious choices, but if you don't mind scaley races, kobolds are the quintessential underdogs of D&D, usually being small, weak, cowardly, and easily dispatched.  All the more reason for a powerful kobold sorcerer to have a chip on their shoulder.  Further, this web supplement added some additional features to the race such as Slight Build, which allows you to treat yourself as one size category smaller when it would be advantageous to you.  And with a series of feats introduced in Races of the Dragon book, kobolds can gain always-on natural flight.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Failry fast learner here.  So if I play a pixie I would be level 1 but would waste the first 4 to 5 levels gaining nothing because of the LA, where as with a halfling I would be able to increase stats and spells each level I gain?

Halfling was my second choice, Pixie only made top of the list because of its ability to Fly.  Though now reading that as a Kobold I can achieve Flying ...  hmmm. 

Are there any sites or apps or such that would walk me through step by step how to create a character.  I know that Wiazards of the Coast offers one but only if you have a paid subscription to D&D Insider (which I really can't afford, and probably wouldn't make use of).
And it wouldn't help you any because it doesn't do 3.5.
88534793 wrote:
Punctuation exists for a reason, and your neglect of the shift key is to the point where Social Services should be involved.
I've been reading up on Kobold, what exactly does this mean.
"Favored Class: Sorcerer. A multiclass kobold’s sorcerer
class does not count when determining whether she
takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing"

So I can choose to be a Sorcerer/Cleric and wouldn't suffer a penalty for being multiclass?

hmmm, that opesn up some interesting combinations.
Yes, Pixie is a "powerful" race (and it is too, getting Flight and Natural Invisibility) so a L1 Pixie is considered to be equivalent to a L5 non-Pixie.

The PHB ought to walk you through the character creation process in relative detail; I think that's one of the things which isn't open source from it.

You are exactly right about the Favoured Class. I would however point out that something like Sorcerer/Cleric is not usually a great choice.
Spellcasting classes don't lend themselves well to multiclassing at all, in general, as they get exponentinally more powerful the more you invest. A Sorcerer/Cleric will have a lot of very weak, largely useless spells, as opposed to a few good ones.
You also have the fact that the Sorcerer's spellcasting is Charisma-based (meaning more Cha = better) whilst the Cleric's is Wisdom-based. That means you'll want high scores in each, whereas a pure Sorcerer doesn't really need a lot of Wisdom (more is nice, but you could afford to have a very low value there if necessary).

If you did want to do that, you could look into options such as the Mystic Theurge. That helps, but it's still not really that powerful (you'll be rubbish as you're picking up the levels you need, then get better but still be behind a bit). There are "tricks" to qualify for the PrC early which your DM may or may not allow (since most of them are things where it's unlikely it was an intended usage of that thing). If you did use one of those, you could enter as something like a Cleric 4/Sorcerer 1/Mystic Theurge meaning that you lose fewer casting levels.

All in all, I'd recommend just sticking with a plain Sorcerer for your first go. Get to know some of the better spells and get a feel for how this all works before going too wild. Smile 
Another nice thing about halflings and the other players handbook races are walking through a city doesn't make you suspicious or potentually killed on sight since they are generally monsters suck as the kobold even though they are adorable
(minor counterpoint)

Since you have Savage Species,
you have the Pixie Racial Progression.
You can play that exactly like a Class.
After you've finished it, you take a
normal class progression.  Still, it
isn't quite as simple as a regular class.

Carnivore is the king of Pixie builds.
Plenty still findable around here.
Most of them are more complicated
than a Race X / single Class Y build.

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

Thanks everyone for all the help.  I decided to opt out of Pixie and go with Halfling.  I looked into Kobold but decided against it for now, its on my list for my next Character as soon as I get a little more experienced.

This is what I ended up with.
I am a 2yr old, 3'1" Halfling Sorcerer.
STR-6, DEX-10, CON-13, INT-17, WIS-16, CHA-16 (+/- modifiers)
Feats: Alertness, Empower Spell, Simple Weapon Prof.
Spells: Level 0
Acid Splash, Daze, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost
Spells: Level 1
Feather Fall, Magic Missiles

I think all I have left to do is pick out some basic equipment.
A) Your age is wrong.
B) ALWAYS put your highest ability score into your primary stat, in this case Charisma.
C) Your Wis & Int don't need to be as high as they are; your Con is decent (but could definitely be higher), but your Dex needs to be higher.
D) Don't get Empower Spell yet. Your best bet is probably Weapon Finesse since it works with your touch spells.
E) How did you come by those scores? If they were rolled... Congratulations! You're the first person we've seen in a while with "rolled" stats that aren't far, far higher than they should be.

I would recommend a stat array of something like 6/15/16/16/8/17 (using your provided stats as the base), or switching the Int & Wis scores.
88534793 wrote:
A) I wondered about the Age.  Not really sure what to set it at.... 18?
B) Will change that ASAP.
C) Will change those as well.
D) Weapon Finesse requires a Base Attack Bonus of +1 which I don't have (unless I did something wrong)
E) Contrary to popular belief I did actually roll them.  4 d6 toss the lowest number.
*Derp*
I forgot about the BAB requirement. In that case, I'd recommend either Arcane Preparation or Rapid Metamagic. Rapid MM is probably the better choice, but Arcane Prep does open interesting possibilities. Arcane Prep can be found in Complete Arcane; Rapid MM is either in that or Complete Mage (I forget which).
And thank you for the reasonable rolls. We often see ability scores that have at least one 18, and nothing lower than 14.
Oh, while Feather Fall isn't a bad spell, Grease is better. I like Magic Missile, myself, but your next spell should be something that completely takes people out of the fight. I would recommend taking either Sleep or Colorspray as your automatic spell at level 2.
88534793 wrote:
Oops, forgot to answer one of your questions: there's a table somewhere in the first few chapters (I think it's in chapter 4) that gives base starting age for the races, and then you add a die roll based on class.
88534793 wrote:
I'm ver glad you picked magic missle, it is definitly one of the better spells around especilly since there's no miss chance or anything like that. But I agree with "the count" on getting a spell such as grease. It helps your party and you to be a bit more able to handle harder challenges. The reason grease is so good is because without 5 ranks in balance (which few monsters have as a skill) they are considered flat footed. This means their ac is lower and your rogue can deal big sneak attack damage. Colour spray has a meaner effect but I havve no personal experience with it.
early on colorspray is really awesome. knocking enemys out for 3d4+1 rounds. I would recommend to swap it out on lvl 4or 6.
D) Don't get Empower Spell yet. Your best bet is probably Weapon Finesse since it works with your touch spells.

Only if he wants to use Touch spells, and he has non. I agree, though, that Empower is not worth it, especially at this level.

Also, Feather Fall is cool but a bit niche for one of your only two L1 spells. Magic Missile is also cool, but it's a paltry 1d4+1 damage - that probably won't kill most things, though the fact that it's almost always going to hit at this level and that you have a few slots, as a Sorcerer, does mean you can probably get some use out of it.

However, I'd suggest Sleep or Colour Spray (to be switched out at a higher level, as they both suck then) and Grease. One is "make a Will save or lose", the other is "Make a Reflex or fall prone, and even if you don't you're balancing so you're flat-footed, so my rogue buddy can sneak attack you." Grease works better once it lasts more than a round, true, but it's still a pretty nice spell. There are some threads dedicated to picking good spells, too, so you might want to check those out. 
For the love of optimization do NOT go Sorcerer 20. Prestige class out of that featureless wasteland ASAP, which in most cases will mean 6th. You really shouldn't waste a spell known on feather fall and magic missile is suspect. If this is core only, and I'm assuming it's not as you mentioned SS, then maybe a case could be made for magic missile. However, Sleep and color spary are both insane bang-for-your-buck spells I would highly recommend. I would also say that if damage is the name of the game looking into Orb spells à la the mailman would be a much better call. Also swap that 10 dex and one of those mentals. Will is already, and probably always will be, a good save and what the heck do you need skill poins for? You're not some stupid bookworm wizard!
Dude, he's L1. Even L6 will be a while coming, I daresay.

And yeah, Sleep and Colour Spray are great at L1, but don't get both. They're both AoO, Will-save-ignores spells. As a Sorcerer, you have limited options, so you need to make yourself as versetile as possible. Something like Grease has both combat and out-of-combat uses. There are some good options if you have the Spell Compendium. At L4, things like Glitterdust are pretty neat.
I aggree with both of my previous posters. Sorcerer 20 is wasted potential. But the mass of prestige classes and options could be overhelming. So first get used to the game the first 3 or 4 levels. And then start looking for PrCs that you like and think, match your gameplay style.

For spells:
you start with 2 lvl 1 spells, so colorspray + Grease is a very good starting point. or if you want the more direct damage method colorspray + magic Missile. If you swap your WIS with your DEX (you dont really need WIS, cause you have a high WILL save), you could also take orb of acid, lesser, from the Spell Compendium.
Holy crap for info overload.....

A) I have modified my stats as per Count_Von_Coc (I'm sorry my mind seems to be in the gutter)

B) Someone mentioned "Touch" spells, my understanding is that those are spells that require me to make physical contact with the "target"??  I would prefer my offensive to be more of a ranged style.

C) What exactly do you mean by Sorcerer 20??
D) What book do I find info on Prestige Class??

E) Is there somewhere that I could create a character sheet that I can link too here?
B) Yes, touch spells require you to hit your target, though you only strike "touch" AC, meaning their armour etc. do not get counted. It's easy to hit with them at higher levels but no, you probably don't want to be in melee. First-time Sorcerer advice is probably to avoid touch spells.

C & D) I don't know why he said Sorc 20 since you're still only L1. I would get a level or two before worrying about that kind of stuff. However, since you asked...

Prestige Classes (PrCs) are special classes which have requirements you need to meet before you can take them (so you can't enter at L1). Most notably, many of them are designed for spellcasters, and advance your casting at some (or all) levels as if you had taken level in a base class (in your case, Sorcerer). This is usually not a bad idea since Sorcerer only really gives you spells after L1, whereas PrCs often give you more - at the cost of having to jump through hoops to get in.

For example, the two core classes Archmage and Loremaster are both decent classes which can be entered by high(er)-level Sorcerers. Both give you almost everything a Sorcerer gets (except improved familiar abilities) but also offer additional bonuses.

However, I would suggest getting the hang of actually playing a Sorcerer before trying to decide where you're aiming in terms of PrCs. The lowest most PrCs can be entered is L6, so you don't need to worry until then (unless you have weird prereqs to meet, but your DM might allow you to retrain old feats for the ones you need if he's nice).

E) There are a couple of online character sheet things. The best one I've seen is probably the one offered by www.myth-weavers.com, but others might have other suggestions.
While I also wouldn't advise planning a Sorcerer 20 you can usually do so with a few catches.  You should be looking at PrC (the first ones are found in the DMG plus just about every other book that followed) and getting in normally takes some feats, specific skills, and maybe even some specific types of spells.  If you plan a Sorcerer out to 20 levels but don't specify where all the feats and skills go and are open to altering a few spell you still have room to hit any number of PrCs.  To me the "best" PrCs for a new player are ones they are already going to "run into" by virtue of the choices they'd make if playing a straight 20th-level character.

When it comes to a low level Sorcerer Magic Missile isn't a great spell.  Sure it "always" hits (barring Spell Resistance or the Shield spell) but it doesn't do much damage.  You are probably better off just using a boring crossbow for those types of attacks; DEX should be one of your better scores so you should hit reasonably often and the damage should be as good or maybe even better.
There are a handful of PRC's that can be entered pre 6, but nit-picking aside the "Don't go Sorcerer 20" was a cautionary warning to a new player who seems to be a quick study and also seemed to be asking for general help. As far as what you should know about Prestige Classes in general, there's a few ways to go about dealing with them. The first option as StevenO (eyebrow raised at a lack of "zomg stats" btw lol)  pointed out is to just go about it very organically. You play the character a bit, take some feats, take some skills, and figure it out as you go playing into the inherit flexibility of a sorcerer. While this is a good way to go about it for some, it can also be dangerous as the name of the game is pretty much specialize or suck and you can find yourself mired in four or five different things, but pulling none of them off well.

I would argue that a little pre-planning never hurt and that while it's easy to drown in the deep-end of complexity when it comes to 3.5, that it can also be rewarding to dive in and see where it takes you. So while it might be silly to do a whole level 20 level build for your first level first character, it is a good idea to either A. come up with a real solid idea of what you want your character to do mechanically -which is in 3.5 pretty much the same thing as flavor- or B. skim a few handbooks and sourcebooks like Complete Arcane or Complete Mage and try and find a cool prestige class that inspires you. With either A or B, it never hurts to come back to a board like this and ask for some help with execution either. Oh and in case you were looking at some prestige classes just know that the cardinal rule is to not give up caster levels. At the end of the day it won't break you to lose one or maybe two, but you should avoid it if at all possible.
Wow, you guys are way cooler than the Magic: The Gathering folks (they try to come off as a bunch of elite gods that think answering questions is below them somehow).

So I've been obsessed with being able to fly since the onset of this little project and through some online research and downloading I have managed to find a Prestige Class that I am interested in.  Dragon Disciple.

If I read properly I need 8 ranks in Arcane Knowledge, the ability to speak Draconic (which I can learn by putting skill point into Languages correct?) and I need the ability to cast arcane spells without preperation which is what the Arcane Prep feat gives me (unless I am misunderstanding what I read).

the only part I don't get is it says I have to pick a dragon variety, I am assuming I can find that info in the Monster Manual....
Dragon Disciple is misleading. Look at it again - it doesn't grant caster levels. Your spellcasting more or stops as soon as you enter. It does give you some bonus slots, but no new levels.

You do need spellcasting to qualify (by "spells without preparation" it means "not a wizard", aka Sorcerer or Bard, as far as Core goes). However, it's not really a spellcasting class, it's a melee class. Really, if you want to be a Dragon Disciple you should be thinking more along the lines of up to 4 levels of Bard, round it out with some Fighter or similar, then DD and maybe finishing with more levels in martial classes.
(That's a somewhat naive Core perspective - Duskblade is probably a better entry - but beyond Core there are surely better options anyway).

If you try and be a Dragon Disciple caster, you'll find you'll have a high Str but not be a real Fighter, owing to the low HP and BAB from being a Sorcerer, and rather poor spells.

If you want to be able to fly, well, you could just cast the Fly spell. Again, a Sorcerer has limited spell options, but you could do that. Alternatively, anyone can grab something like the Winged Boots for not too much cash, by the time you can get flight from a spell or PrC.

EDIT: For the record, you pretty much just pick a colour as far as dragon variety goes. 
Another option for flight would be to take the Elemental Savant prestige class with a Lightning energy focus.

As a Sorceror, you already cast arcane spells spontaneously. The cost of being able to cast any spell you know at any time is that it takes you longer to apply Metamagic feats to those spells. Arcane Preparation allows you to memorize some spells every day like a wizard does, which lets you apply Metamagic feats when first memorized, and then cast them with their normal casting time. Rapid Metamagic lets you apply Metamagic feats on the fly without increasing the casting time. Rapid Metamagic is pretty much strictly better, but there are some PrCs and feats that require the "ability to memorize spells", which Arcan Preparation lets you do.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
So prestige class isn't so much an addition to my current class, it is a complete change of class.  Yes, now that I read it again I understand the spell part a little better..  (damn, I'm never gonna get my wings).

The other options I had looked at were Archmage or Mystic Theurge.  Archmage says I get Spells per Day / Spells Known, and Theurge says I only get Spells per Day... this is where I get confused.  That is more or less just the difference between Sorcerer and Wizard.  Wizards have to study and prep spells for each day where as Sorcerer just knows spells...  so Archmage would be my better option?
No, Mystic Theurge works exactly the same as Archmage as far as your Sorcerer spells are concerned. Typically, the table will say "+1 level of existing (arcane/divine) spellcasting class" which usually means the same thing (I can't think of any situations where the text is significantly different).

That means that whether you have 6 Sorcerer levels and 10 Mystic Theurge levels, or 14 Sorcerer levels and 2 Archmage levels, or just 16 Sorcerer levels, you cast as a L16 Sorcerer.

Mystic Theurge however is generally not considered great, because you have to cast L2 arcane AND L2 divine spells to get in. Thus, your entry will be something like Sorcerer 4/Cleric 3. That thing about losing spellcasting levels again? Well, you just lost a lot. Mystic Theurge progresses both your arcane and divine spellcasting, meaning you can be a Cleric and a Sorcerer at once... but the result is that you suck at either. It's not so bad once you have a lot of MT levels, but for a while there you will be suffering pretty badly (whilst you're a Sorc 4/Cleric 3, with L2 spells from each, other casters will have L4 spells).

It should be noted that there are some "tricks" to get you into classes like MT early, by giving you ways to cast those L2 spells (typically, they use Heighten Spell with something which lets you apply it for free, meaning a L1 spell is treated like a L2 spell). That makes MT far better, but pretty much every one of those is debated, and your DM might not allow any of them. For a first play, I'd suggest not trying that - those tricks might not be allowed, they all use more sourcebooks which you may not be familiar with, and MT just gives you more options to worry about. Better IMO to have a few strong options and focus on getting those right. Smile

To be honest, if the rest of your group aren't well-versed in this stuff either, you will probably do fine (and possibly better) playing a straight Sorcerer or even a "naive" Mystic Theurge. Make decent spell choices and you won't suck. That said, looking into a PrC is not a bad idea. From Core, your two best choices are probably Archmage or Loremaster. If you have other books, there are some you can get into at L6 or 7, and you could always progress to e.g. Archmage later.
Again, thank you so much to everyone for all the  help.  I think I have a decent grasp on the basics now of constructing a character. 

My ultimate goal is to eventually create either a Pixie or a Kobold but to start I think the Halfling will work fine for me.

I have decided on Archmage as my Prestige Class and will just have to wait on the ability to fly...  maybe I can learn how to enchant a broomstick or an umbrella.

The last thing I have left to do is create a familiar, which I believe is more or less the same process I just went through to create a character.  As a halfling can I get a familiar thats large enough to ride on....  what if I get a big bird, could I fly on it???  Eww maybe I could get some type of lizard and enchant it with the power of flight and ride it...

As for spells I think I am going to wait and see what other character types the group has so to avoid doubling up on base spells.
Wow, you guys are way cooler than the Magic: The Gathering folks (they try to come off as a bunch of elite gods that think answering questions is below them somehow).

So I've been obsessed with being able to fly since the onset of this little project and through some online research and downloading I have managed to find a Prestige Class that I am interested in.  Dragon Disciple.

If I read properly I need 8 ranks in Arcane Knowledge, the ability to speak Draconic (which I can learn by putting skill point into Languages correct?) and I need the ability to cast arcane spells without preperation which is what the Arcane Prep feat gives me (unless I am misunderstanding what I read).

the only part I don't get is it says I have to pick a dragon variety, I am assuming I can find that info in the Monster Manual....

1.  Oh there are a few of those around as well.  Some seem to run into a lot of moderation and get put into 'time out' with amazing frequency.  There is optimizing to have a fun character and then there is OPTIMIZING to have a character who "doesn't lose" and some people have a hard time with the distinction.

2.  Dragon Disciple is NOT a spellcaster's class.  Yes, it has some spellcasting requirements to enter it and it also gives you more spell slots but it is not something any "true" spellcaster will take because it doesn't improve your spellcasting.  DragonDisciple is a warrior's class that requires a little bit of spellcasting to enter.  You take DD if you want the ability increases and some of the other things.

Spontaneous spellcasting means spellcasting that gets to pick the spell used when it is cast.  Using the PHB this means a Sorcerer or Bard qualifies for the DD requirement.  Assuming I'm remembering the right feat Arcane Preperation is used by a spontaneous caster to "prepare" a spell utilizing a metamagic feat in advance; normally applying metamagic (MM) to a spontaneously cast spell increases the casting time while using this feat leaves the casting time unchanged.  I'm going to say that it really isn't a feat to get unless you absolutely NEED it for something else although many of those reasons may be considered cheesy.  One of the Complete X books offers a slight alteration to Sorcerer where you give up your familiar to cast a number of MM spells without the increased casting time equal to your INT mod.

When it comes to "picking a dragon variety" for Dragon Disciple you'd pick one out of the MM although there are alternatives.  All this does is set what damage immunity you get and what damage type your breath weapon will do.

It looks like you may be figuring out how PrCs work.  Basically any PrC you enter that say something similar to "+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class" will give you more spells per day and more spells known just like you've increased a level in the class that is actually granting the spells.

Now for a completely different take on things you may want to look at the Warlock from Complete Arcane and maybe its "combo" classes with arcane or divine spellcasting that can be found in Complete Mage.  Warlock usually isn't considered a great class long term but early on it can be pretty nice and one of the available Invocations will let you fly all day.  Using the Eldritch PrCs in Complete Mage Warlock can be combine with another spellcasting class without a lot* of power loss. 

* Warning * When dealing with full (9th-level spell potential) spellcasting classes ANY lose of casting levels can be considered "a lot" and some would say that if you give up a potential spell level (say only getting 8th-level spells instead of 9th-level spells in a 20 level build) you have given up FAR too much.  I don't subscribe to this line of thinking although some of those people I mentioned in point 1 live by that idea.

@Eld20Generalissimo:  The original stats are far too high (PBe 53) for my tastes but the second set in post #10 are only PBe 38 which is still too good but at least there were a couple 8s in there and they were place far from optimally.  Dropping the 17 down to 14 cuts 7 points and moving a 16 down to 14 is 4 more points while only reducing modifiers a net +2 and not requiring massive changes to how the character should be built.  With a PB 28 Halfling Sorcerer I'd probabably be looking at STR 6, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 14, WIS 8, CHA 16 which would be close to the "rolled" array after adjusting it down a bit to what could be expected; I did give a +1 to make the 13 and 14 and bring things back up to PB 28 with two 8s starting in STR and WIS, CHA getting the 16, and the three other stats each getting a 14.

The last thing I have left to do is create a familiar, which I believe is more or less the same process I just went through to create a character.  As a halfling can I get a familiar thats large enough to ride on....  what if I get a big bird, could I fly on it???  Eww maybe I could get some type of lizard and enchant it with the power of flight and ride it...

As for spells I think I am going to wait and see what other character types the group has so to avoid doubling up on base spells.

Unless you invest something into getting an improved familiar you aren't going to be using it as a mount.  Technically, I believe you will need a medium sized creature for your small character to use as a mount and most of the time a familiar is even smaller then you are.

I could jokingly say that if you're a small, light weight halfling you could "fly" by having some big strong warrior type give you a good throw.  Of course this isn't what you are looking for.

As for "waiting" to see what spells others in your party have you need to remember that your spells are mostly FIXED once selected while a class like Cleric or Druid can easily change their spells and a Wizard can add new spells to his spellbook to use new spells.  Your options for "fixing" poor spell selection are far more limited.

I will find a way to fly (even if it means I sew wings into my outfit and have a warrior throw me).

Thanks for the info on the familiar, and the heads up on Warlock.

As for the spell thing, this has all been a learning experience for me to better prepare me for when I actually get togethor with the group.  Push come to shove I think I am comfortable enough that I can easily recreate a new Level 1 character that would better fit with the group.

I feel like playing World of Warcraft now.....  did anyone ever come up with a decent Dungeons and Dragons computer game???
I like Dungeons & Dragons Tactics for PSP. It's pretty simple, but there are enough character classes to keep it interesting enough to replay.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Are there any sites or apps or such that would walk me through step by step how to create a character.  I know that Wiazards of the Coast offers one but only if you have a paid subscription to D&D Insider (which I really can't afford, and probably wouldn't make use of).

There is the free PCGen application, which works on a subset of 3.5 called the Revised SRD or SRD 3.5. It would work really well for creating something like a Halfling, Gnome or Kobold Sorcerer.
sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/

There are also spreadsheets like HeroForge that do similar things but personally I prefer PCGen.
There's also HeroLab but that's not free.

5e should strongly stay away from "I don't like it, so you can't have it either."

I once asked the question (in D&D 3.5) "Does a Druid4/Wizard3/ArcaneHierophant1 have Wildshape?". Jesse Decker and Andy Collins: Yes and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Rich Redman and Ed Stark: No and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Skip Williams: Lol, it's worded ambiguously and entirely not how I intended it. (Cust. Serv. Reference# 050815-000323)

I have PCGen but it seems to be missing a variety of stuff.  Like some of the Metamagic Feats and such.  Which source data should I be using?  Is there an additional download somewhere?

I have PC Gen 6.00.0 and I use the SRD 3.5 for Player.

I feel like playing World of Warcraft now.....  did anyone ever come up with a decent Dungeons and Dragons computer game???

Although it may be getting dated now and uses the 2ed rule Baldur's Gate and it's sequels was an absolutely amazing D&D experience.  I'd say BG2 was the best computer RPG ever although it isn't fair to compare it to MMORPGs.

Although it may be getting dated now and uses the 2ed rule Baldur's Gate and it's sequels was an absolutely amazing D&D experience.  I'd say BG2 was the best computer RPG ever although it isn't fair to compare it to MMORPGs.

This. This all over. There is so much content in those damn things that it's rediculious and has given me expectations that many other games STILL don't live up to. This ars technica article gives a very thorough rundown of the game: arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/12/baldurs-g...
in may or june the new DnD MMORPG should start. its called Neverwinter and seems pretty interesting(sadly it uses 4th edition rules)
Man, you guys are awesome....

One last question, just sort of clued into the fact that this weekend is Easter and being lactose intolerant and diabetic means I avoid chocolate like the plague (pointless info at this moment), but because of this I am tend to give gifts during these occasions that are more practical. 

Was wondering if anyone knew the titles of any good Campaign books (if such a thing exists) that fit within the 3.5 structure and if anyone knows of a decent online retailer.
im just playing the Shadow of the last war campaign. The first part is in the Eberron Campaign Setting in the back. The folloiwing storys are print up as standalone campaigns:
www.amazon.com/Shadows-Dungeon-Dragons-R...