Repeat Spell + Malconvoker Fiendish Legion

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let's say I'm a Cleric with the following:

Metamagic Rod of Rapid Spell (cast summon spells in 1 standard action instead 1 full round)
Repeat Spell Feat
DMM Repeat Spell

So, on my turn I use the Rod of Rapid Spell to cast in 1 standard action a "Repetead Summon Monster X" powered by my Turn Undead attempts.

I will lay on the battlefield 1 creature +1 (for Fiendish Legion). I choose to cast a monster for the SMX list, or I could lay down 1d3 + 1 (Fiendish Legion)

Next round, at the beginning, the spell is cast again. "A repeated spell is automatically cast again at the beginning of your turn in the following round"

Does this "repetead spell" have the Fienfish Legion (and all the other Malconvoker's benefits) applied?

Unrestricted Conjuration
Deceptive Summons (Su)
Fiendish Legion (Ex)

Thanks.
I'm not sure you cau use other MM with either the Rod or with DMM which means you can just get one effect.  Of course that may not alter much.

I believe your Repeated spell will be just like the original spell including and benefits that would still apply.

I'm not sure you cau use other MM with either the Rod or with DMM which means you can just get one effect.  Of course that may not alter much.

I believe your Repeated spell will be just like the original spell including and benefits that would still apply.

I'm quite confused :s, that's why I'm asking.

From SRD

A caster may only use one metamagic rod on any given spell, but it is permissible to combine a rod with metamagic feats possessed by the rod’s wielder. In this case, only the feats possessed by the wielder adjust the spell slot of the spell being cast.

In my case the lvl adjustment doesn't happen, because I'm using DMM. 
So, on my turn I use the Rod of Rapid Spell to cast in 1 standard action a "Repetead Summon Monster X"

Funny, I thought summon monster only went up to IX.
Does this "repetead spell" have the Fienfish Legion (and all the other Malconvoker's benefits) applied?

Unrestricted Conjuration
Deceptive Summons (Su)
Fiendish Legion (Ex)

Unrestricted conjuration should certainly apply, and deceptive summons already covers multiple creatures (you make a check for each one), which leaves us with fiendish legion to address.

Looking at the similar Twin Spell metamagic feat, there is a suggestion/reminder that a metamagic spell is basically still a single piece of magic as far as counterspelling is concerned (and presumably also things like dispel magic) even if it has a multiple effect as a result.

As it's all a single spell, it would suggest that all the other spell alterations are still functional and in place which would indicate that they're repeated, while on the other hand, it's not clear whether or not fiendish legion can apply more than once per spell, and that's the real question here.

To simplify the situation, let's assume that (without metamagic being involved) you were casting abyssal army, a spell most recently from the Spell Compendium that works like a demonic version of elemental swarm.  The question then is whether you get one additional demon for the entire spell, or one additional demon for each set of demons as they appear.

I haven't really got a certain answer to that question right now, since fiendish legion doesn't cover it and its logic doesn't directly suggest one result over another.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
So, on my turn I use the Rod of Rapid Spell to cast in 1 standard action a "Repetead Summon Monster X"

Funny, I thought summon monster only went up to IX.

Unrestricted Conjuration
Deceptive Summons (Su)
Fiendish Legion (Ex)

Unrestricted conjuration should certainly apply, and deceptive summons already covers multiple creatures (you make a check for each one), which leaves us with fiendish legion to address.

Looking at the similar Twin Spell metamagic feat, there is a suggestion/reminder that a metamagic spell is basically still a single piece of magic as far as counterspelling is concerned (and presumably also things like dispel magic) even if it has a multiple effect as a result.

As it's all a single spell, it would suggest that all the other spell alterations are still functional and in place which would indicate that they're repeated, while on the other hand, it's not clear whether or not fiendish legion can apply more than once per spell, and that's the real question here.

To simplify the situation, let's assume that (without metamagic being involved) you were casting abyssal army, a spell most recently from the Spell Compendium that works like a demonic version of elemental swarm.  The question then is whether you get one additional demon for the entire spell, or one additional demon for each set of demons as they appear.

I haven't really got a certain answer to that question right now, since fiendish legion doesn't cover it and its logic doesn't directly suggest one result over another.

I'm sorry, my bad there, I mean SM "Y", I used X as a variable when it could lead to confusion with the classic nomenclarute used in DnD.

I do agree with applying my Su+Ex Abilities, otherwise made no sense, basically I'd be losing my alignment due to a feat, which makes no sense.
But, if I do apply the benefit of Deceptive Summons (Su), I'm also applying its Fury counterpart, which gives a slight boost to Evil Summons (+2 something).

Oh, this is so confusing.

It's just another creature, but that's the difference between casting 4 Fienfish Ape surrounding an enemy in almost 1 turn.

Also... 

A repeated spell is automatically cast again at the
beginning of your turn in the following round

How does it work when you use a full round action to SM? Does it cast again just after you ended up casting yours? Which would make appear 3 (or 4) summons (or even more) at once?

I find it very confusing that no one has ever stepped with this inconsistency

You would get the extra spell at the beginning of your turn the round after completing the original spell. Sorry I can't help with the original query, but I've never heard of Fiendish Legion, and so have no insight on it.
Two... Ah ah ah! Three.. Ah ah ah! Four... Ah ah ah! Six... Ah ah ah!!
88534793 wrote:
Punctuation exists for a reason, and your neglect of the shift key is to the point where Social Services should be involved.
I'm sorry, my bad there, I mean SM "Y", I used X as a variable when it could lead to confusion with the classic nomenclarute used in DnD.

Don't worry, I knew that you meant X as the common substitute; I'm just joking about it since it's also the next number above summon monster IX
I do agree with applying my Su+Ex Abilities, otherwise made no sense, basically I'd be losing my alignment due to a feat, which makes no sense.

Doesn't the malconvoker protect you from the effect of evil summoning anyway?

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.

Doesn't the malconvoker protect you from the effect of evil summoning anyway?

Yes, it does. My the wording on Repeat Spell is not really that clear. It just says it repeats the spell, it doesn't specify about Su-Ex abiities, possible applied feats when casting that spell, etc, etc.

If Fiendish Legion is not applied, following that line of thought, the others woulnd't be applied as well, considering all of them are Class Abilities.

It all starts with the "Rapid Spell" feat, but in this case it woulnd't affect much our final conclusion, since spell would be repeated at round 2 or 3, depending on how you want to see it. 
The information on Twin Spell indicates that even when it's being recast by metamagic, it still all counts as one spell, meaning that it is covered in its entirety, and unrestricted conjuration doesn't have any limitation on application anyway, so it would be covered even if it was a separate spell.

The question with fiendish legion is really about whether the effect can apply more than once if a single spell summons creatures more than once.  The effect applies "whenever you use a summon monster spell to summon one or more evil-aligned creatures", so the issue is whether counts as you using the spell to summon again, and since you don't really do anything extra, the result just as far as summoned creatures go is similar to abyssal army and elemental swarm.

Obviously, an example like abyssal army wouldn't actually work with fiendish legion, since it's not literally a summon monster spell (or directly dependent on one); that's just for the sake of simplifying what we're discussing.

It's definitely an issue you'd want to discuss with your DM to make sure of how they'll rule it.