Let's make keywords which should have been keywords!

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok so had this thought so let's do it!

I will start first:

There are 29 cards which have the text: (can only block creatures with flying) 

Hide-and-Seek Spirit 

Creature - Spirit (U)

Flying, Airlock (This creature can only block creatures with flying)

It one day dreams of being able to play with humans Hide-and-Seek but now he is being chained to the clouds.

4/4

A typical   trying to get somewhere in the Multiverse, allons-y?

DOCTOR WHO OOOOOOOOEEOOOOOOOO OOOOOOEEOOOOOOO (I'm weird, cant help it)

Famous Quotes:

144543765 wrote:
I was browsing through some cards in gatherer and I noticed something really odd - the transforming cards from Innistrad like Mayor of Avabruck have separate comments and ratings for each side. Isn't that totally stupid? It feels as senseless as having two different pages for each side of a split card or having different pages for Nimble Mongoose with and without threshold.

56965528 wrote:
*mutters under his breath* Squinty's Wife: "What was that!?!?" Umm, I said.... umm..... ahhh.... *another smack upside the head* Squinty's Wife: "Care to try again?" *shakes head vigerously* Squinty's Wife: "That's better." ~SE++ *whimpering*

Current deck goals:

NON-AGGRO, NON-MONO RED deck (Not getting very far with it though)

Standard mono red deck for FNM next Friday

16 cards with the text "...can't be blocked except by two or more creatures."

Ferocious Predator
Creature-Beast
Ferocity (This creature can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)
7/2

Of the 16 cards that have the ability already, only one would not fit with flavor in today's color pie: Wind Spirit. However, I could see arguement for the ability on it, as wind storms can be rather ferocious.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Counterproof (can't be countered)
39 Cards have this ability.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

I can just take from a very old thread....

39 cards say "You may choose not to untap ~ during your untap step."

Rebound Cannon
Artifact
Support (You may choose not to untap this permanent during your untap step.)
, : Destroy target creature. As long as Rebound Cannon remains tapped, that creature's controller may not cast creature spells.

Maybe not the best name, but...there it is.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Stalwart (This creature may block any number of creatures.)

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
I can't even count the number of cards this is on...

Incoming (When this creature enters the battlefield)
Outgoing (When this creature leaves the battlefield)
Dies (Goes from the battlefield to the graveyard)  *I didn't make this one up.

Thragtusk
Creature - Beast

Incoming - You gain 5 life.
Outgoing - Put a 3/3 green Beast creature token onto the battlefield. 

5/3

"Always carry two spears." 

—Mokgar, Kalonian hunter

Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
Outgoing (When this creature dies)

No. Just, no.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)

After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

I am Black/Green

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

What?!? Why?!? Think of the space saved on many many cards.

Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.

Elvish Lorekeeper
Creature - Elf Shaman
When ~ enters the battelfield, you may return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
Caterwaul (If a spell or ability an opponent controls causes you to discard ~, put it onto the battlefield instead of putting it into your graveyard.)
2/2

don't be Matt.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

don't be Matt.

?!? Is this some old issue I'm not aware of?

Should I keyword something else?

Autocarding

There are 29 cards which have the text: (can only block creatures with flying) 

Hide-and-Seek Spirit  Creature - Spirit (U)
Flying, Airlock (This creature can only block creatures with flying)
4/4

Aiirlock can mean something else

Counterproof (can't be countered)
39 Cards have this ability.

sure why not?
RedProof
CreatureProof
EnxhantmentProof

I can just take from a very old thread....

39 cards say "You may choose not to untap ~ during your untap step."

Rebound Cannon
Artifact
Support (You may choose not to untap this permanent during your untap step.)
, : Destroy target creature. As long as Rebound Cannon remains tapped, that creature's controller may not cast creature spells.

Maybe not the best name, but...there it is.

good call
maybe a "Continuous" as long as this is tapped that effect. You may may choose not to untap this on your untap step.

Stalwart (This creature may block any number of creatures.)

solid

I can't even count the number of cards this is on...

Outgoing (When this creature dies)

Thragtusk
Creature - Beast

Incoming - You gain 5 life.
Outgoing - Put a 3/3 green Beast creature token onto the battlefield. 

5/3

"Always carry two spears." 

—Mokgar, Kalonian hunter

"On Entrance" could be assumed into the play zone unless otherwise stated.
"On Exit" could mean leaving the play zone.
"On Death" could mean going from play into the graveyard.

What is assumed is the play zone is the default.

Obvious one:

Vampirism - "When ~ deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it"
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
'{cardname} can't block' = Attacker.
Why hasn't this been done yet? 
My novel, Mektar, Clash of Ideals, is now available for purchase! Just click this text. I have +30 bragging rights according to HairlessThoctar. Just saying.
Mill X ( put the top X cards form target players libray and put into the graveyard)

WHY NO MILL KEYWORD
IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/oQoEq.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/cH6Sm.gif)

Why doesn't Pacifism give defender?

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

> Why hasn't this been done before ?

it may have

tap, mana
sure why not?
RedProof

Done.
CreatureProof

Done.
EnxhantmentProof

Done. (I assume?)

Rules Advisor

Just noticed something wrong. Dies is the keyword, Leaves the battlefield.
Autocarding

No it's not.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)

No, dies is the keyword for "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield".

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

Normally
Edited the original post, to reflect this.
Autocarding
good show

Super Trample (If this creature is blocked, you may have it assign damage as though it wasn't blocked.)
11 creatures have this.

I never did like the name "super trample". How about something more aurally appealing? Like "Stealth"?

skirt
Slithbond

Slith Reaper
Creature-Slith
Deathtouch
Slithbond (Whenever Slith Reaper deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it)
1/1

There are 19 cards that have "Whenever [this creature] deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it" Some of them are Slith Predator, Slith Ascendant, Slith Firewalker and Arcbound Slith

Because it's too easily confused with "Attacks each turn if able."

Because it's too easily confused with "Attacks each turn if able."

I'd call it Agressor
Super Trample (If this creature is blocked, you may have it assign damage as though it wasn't blocked.)
11 creatures have this.

I never did like the name "super trample". How about something more aurally appealing? Like "Stealth"?

Burrow - Fitting for green creatures

Tarrasque
Legendary Creature - Beast
Tarrasque is indestructible.
Hexproof, trample
Whenever Tarrasque enters the battlefield or attacks, it fights target creature.
Slumber (If Tarrasque would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal Tarrasque and shuffle it into its owner's library instead.)
16/16

Also, while on this topic, can't we just say indestructible instead of ~ is indestructible (among similar phrasng)? Same thing with unblockable. I'm sure nobody is going to be confused if you remove the phrasing other than unblockable. It's a waste of space and time and energy. I get the stupid reasons for doing it, but it's still bad logic and it's not pragmatic.

...I get the stupid reasons for doing it...

I don't. Care to elucidate me?

Loot = Discard a card, then draw a card.
Curiosity = Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
Berzerk = This creature attacks each turn if able.

Indestructible is an attribute that some permanents have. Indestructible permanents can't be destroyed by rules or effects. It is often mistaken for a keyword; however, like "unblockable", it is a word with a specific meaning in the English language, or rather it is a combination of the normal English meanings of the prefix 'in-' and suffix '-able' with the Magic-specific meaning of 'destroy'. Indestructible permanents can still be put into their owner's graveyard by other means, such as by the "legend rule", by being sacrificed, or in the case of creatures having zero toughness.
The simplest one I can think of...

Banish =
Return to owner's hand.

Unsummon
Instant
Banish target creature.
"Waaah there's a few cards I don't like in the latest set! This game sucks now! Everything should just always stay the same because I'm threatened by change! I'm going to quit! I'm quitting! SOMEONE PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEE" - approximately 10% of MtG players on all forums, ever. Read my thoughts, feed my ego! - www.tzaphiel.wordpress.com I'm also a writer! Search for "Gareth Topping" on Amazon!
11 creatures have this.

Burrow - Fitting for green creatures

Need to look at the creatures already with the ability: Lone Wolf, Pride of Lions, Rhox, Thorn Elemental... it doesn't need to be a perfect match to all, but at least some should make sense. None of these go underground; stealth at least fits the wolves and lions, but certainly not the big ones.

[<o>]
...stealth at least fits the wolves and lions, but certainly not the big ones.

How stealthy could they really be if they get blocked in the first place? Ninjutsu would be better off being renamed to Stealth. "supertrample" deserves something more along the line of Wile.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

I fully suppor Vigean Hydropon being an Attacker, Defender.

Level 1 Judge

Indestructible is an attribute that some permanents have. Indestructible permanents can't be destroyed by rules or effects. It is often mistaken for a keyword; however, like "unblockable", it is a word with a specific meaning in the English language, or rather it is a combination of the normal English meanings of the prefix 'in-' and suffix '-able' with the Magic-specific meaning of 'destroy'. Indestructible permanents can still be put into their owner's graveyard by other means, such as by the "legend rule", by being sacrificed, or in the case of creatures having zero toughness.

No, no. That explains HOW things are, not WHY they are that way. Why make indestructible and unblockable attributes rather than keywords? What's the reason?

No, no. That explains HOW things are, not WHY they are that way. Why make indestructible and unblockable attributes rather than keywords? What's the reason?

This creature gets a buff from this enchantment. If you cast a spell targeting this creature that says "Target creature is indestructible/unblockable this turn", it retains the buff. Were Indestructible and Unblockable to become keywords, the creature would gain them, and thus lose the buff from the enchantment. However, this also does not explain why things are the way they are.

I'm pretty sure the why is due to the way it looks and sounds on cards: "target creature gains indestructible/unblockable until end of turn" versus "target creature is indestructible/unblockable this turn."

I hate the way they made hexproof a keyword. I feel it should have been an attribute. "Target creature is hexproof until end of turn" makes so much more sense than "target creature gains hexproof until end of turn" to me.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

This creature gets a buff from this enchantment. If you cast a spell targeting this creature that says "Target creature is indestructible/unblockable this turn", it retains the buff. Were Indestructible and Unblockable to become keywords, the creature would gain them, and thus lose the buff from the enchantment. However, this also does not explain why things are the way they are.

I'm pretty sure the why is due to the way it looks and sounds on cards: "target creature gains indestructible/unblockable until end of turn" versus "target creature is indestructible/unblockable this turn."

I hate the way they made hexproof a keyword. I feel it should have been an attribute. "Target creature is hexproof until end of turn" makes so much more sense than "target creature gains hexproof until end of turn" to me.

So....they did it for the one card that cares about vanilla-ness? I highly doubt that. As for the wording... "target creature flies this turn" sounds better than "target creature gains flying", yet cards don't say that. It really makes no sense to stop something from being a keyword because it "sounds bad"...