DotP 2014: Chandra's Quest

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, for those of you who haven't been able to keep track, there's something very very interesting happening with this year's DotP, and very likely something that applies to the Core set as well.
There's a story involved, and unlike the vague and stapled together endeavors of the past, this one actually looks to be canon.

When last we saw Chandra Nalarr, she was setting off to track down the jerkface that set her on the path towards the scroll in the first place.
First look at the game and the story campaign: www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF1AgKs66xQ&feat...
So, I don't know about you, but this is actually really exciting. Last year, they gave us little tidbits about the story, I think to make up for the complete debacle of things like "Gideon is from Bant" and other such egregious issues of past games.
Anyways, this is a bold experiment. This lets them tell a story, but the exact details become interactive, allowing you to become engaged in the story in a new and exciting way.

and if for one reason or another you missed the trailer:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcIyXqLyg0o
So punny.
Man, when are game companies going to start getting promotional speakers that can actually project their damn voices? That's hideously inaudible.

Incidentally, we already have a few other cards spoiled... one from Regatha, and one returning to Kalonia. I wonder if that means we'll be seeing Shandalar show up as a major plane in DOTP1 2014. I also still wonder why Shandalar is such a big thing now. Not that I'm complaining, but it is a little bit weird.

That beginning segment is a little odd, since it shows just Chandra and Sarkhan fighting. I'm not sure that bodes well for this game playing nice with canon... 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
To be fair, I don't think they ever actually said Gideon was from Bant, they just reused the art and (presumably) hoped no one would notice. <_<
Seems Chandra has followed Jace's example and is now making bad puns.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
That beginning segment is a little odd, since it shows just Chandra and Sarkhan fighting. I'm not sure that bodes well for this game playing nice with canon... 

In fairness to that, Chandra did most of the work, and it would be kind of difficult to explain what Jace did in that visual blurb.

To be fair, I don't think they ever actually said Gideon was from Bant, they just reused the art and (presumably) hoped no one would notice. <_<

It's a case of people making the assumption. And they used a LOT of the art.
Regardless of Bant, they still screwed up Gideon's origin hideously.
WAITWAITWAIT

Look at the story mission presentation thingie. Look when she explodifies one of the Hedron thingamawots. See that face there?

Could that be the lithomancer? 
WAITWAITWAIT

Look at the story mission presentation thingie. Look when she explodifies one of the Hedron thingamawots. See that face there?

Could that be the lithomancer? 

No.
Look at the way it was imposed over Kozilek's face and mirrored the shape.
The people of Zendikar forgot what the Eldrazi were and started worshipping them as gods.

What you're seeing is likely a relief of Cosi or Talib.
wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/List_of_go...
No.
Look at the way it was imposed over Kozilek's face and mirrored the shape.
The people of Zendikar forgot what the Eldrazi were and started worshipping them as gods.

What you're seeing is likely a relief of Cosi or Talib.
wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/List_of_go...

Yeah, I remember that plot point, at least.

Makes me sad, though. Means there's still no info about him whatsoever.
That is a nice inclusion to this game, gives it more something to look forward to.

Wouldn't it be nice if this game features some sort of a full blown visual novel engine of sorts. Something not going to be embedded with the canon, but more like putting it in segments wherein it will not contradict with current continuity.

Wouldn't it be nice if this game features some sort of a full blown visual novel engine of sorts.

I think you're completely missing the point of what they're trying to do with these games.

I think you're completely missing the point of what they're trying to do with these games.

To make the card game more accessible to newbies and to cater to those who would like to try it without being smothered by the card game's huge library? Please do correct if ever. ^_^

I'm just throwing that idea to the air anyways. I've played a Yugi Oh game like this on the playstation before and it quickly became stale.

To make the card game more accessible to newbies and to cater to those who would like to try it without being smothered by the card game's huge library? Please do correct if ever. ^_^

Right, and since everything in the Magic storyline requires at least three books' worth of explanation to make any sense, a visual novel would be... Impractical. It would leave people with more questions than answers.
I'm not expecting very much from this new focus on a story for Duels of the Planeswalkers. I do like the idea that they're at least trying though. Now if only Jace could take a back seat for a year...
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
I'm not expecting very much from this new focus on a story for Duels of the Planeswalkers. I do like the idea that they're at least trying though. Now if only Jace could take a back seat for a year...

Like he did in Mirrodin and Innistrad? He likely will only be in M14 over the next year.

Also find it funny how you seem to dislike jace yet have him as your avatar.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Hoping for Jace to have less of the spotlight doesn't have to mean that he dislikes him. >_>

Anyway, that intro had some pretty sweet 90s graphics, AMIRITE? :P  They probably should have stuck with their sweet motion card art or something...  Also, I'm totally down for them to put more emphasis on the story.  This could be really fun.
It is a little bit weird to see that considering that papa-Hasbro has more money than God.
It is a little bit weird to see that considering that papa-Hasbro has more money than God.

Yea I wish we could get a Blizzard level cinematic.

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

I wish everyone could get that level of cinematics.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Agreed. The MoP cinematic is one of the most entertaining clips I've seen in a while, and the prodcution quality was phenomonal.
WotLK was the best cinematic I have ever seen.

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

The dramatic narrative of that one gives me goosebumps every time.

Like he did in Mirrodin and Innistrad? He likely will only be in M14 over the next year.

Honestly, I'm hoping he even takes a break from the Core set like Liliana and Ajani did.
Tamiyo has a pretty loyal following and she's a pretty great basic blue walker.
I also hope Garruk takes a break, if for nothing else we NEED another damn green walker.

It was amazing on its own. If you played WC3 it was that much more powerful.

It was amazing on its own. If you played WC3 it was that much more powerful.

I know!

Just- Ugh. The parallels in the narrative with the scene... How Arthas was perverting everything his father was saying. And when all the undead "cheeered" during the line about inspiring his people - How it's worship based upon forced compliance rather than adoration - And then...

"You will be King."

Just wow. And whoever voiced Terenas was just amazing. 

It's funny, but I didn't even recognize this avatar as being Jace when I picked it. I've since shopped around for something else, but found no compelling reason to change it.

Like others pointed out, it's not that I exactly hate Jace. He seems like a cool enough character in the Return to Ravnica introduction. It's an overexposure thing. Him, and Garruk too. I'd say Chandra as well, but she's never really had a decent card manifestation.

Like Barinellos, I'm hoping he fades from Core for a year.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.

I, uh.
I'm pretty sure that bringing up the topic itself has given me goosebumps... Mainly from imagining the music.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I find it interesting that I hear the overexposure complaint about Jace because, strictly speaking, this is only the second time he's surfaced in the story as seen through the cards (third including Agents, but that was a niche market).

I know he's Magic's Mickey Mouse as it were, but is his mere presence, even when he's not actually doing anything, really that annoying to people?

Also, I'd really like to know how many people dislike him because of this overexposure, whether or not it's true, and how many dislike him because of how bitter they are about JTMS.
I find it interesting that I hear the overexposure complaint about Jace because, strictly speaking, this is only the second time he's surfaced in the story as seen through the cards (third including Agents, but that was a niche market).

I know he's Magic's Mickey Mouse as it were, but is his mere presence, even when he's not actually doing anything, really that annoying to people?

Also, I'd really like to know how many people dislike him because of this overexposure, whether or not it's true, and how many dislike him because of how bitter they are about JTMS.

Well original ace saw a lot of play too. ANd I think his 4th incarnation is seeing some atm.

Black egg said Garruk over exposed too, which makes me think he's talking actual play since Garruk hasn't actally shown up that much (he has all of one actual story, unless youu count the two comics, one of which he was a minor character in). 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
All 4 Jaces have been standard staples at one time or another, but only one of them was an abomination that pushed Standard down the stairs.
It's actually probably worse when he shows up OUTSIDE the story. When he can show up with a legitimate reason, people don't mind his appearance any more than anybody else, but as it is, people are kind of getting sick of Garruk and to a lesser degree Chandra too. Chandra gets more hate, I think, for being pushed despite her cards being,... not good. The first isn't too bad, but Ablaze is garbage and they really wanted to hype Firebrand.

I'm sure JTMS didn't help Jace, but Memory Adept (and really basically all of Gregory's Lor 5incarnations) were... very poorly received too.
So, I'd say it's a combination of pushing them and not actually being able to deliver cards as elegant as their originals on top of it.
Sign In to post comments