An alternative modular approach

It's becoming increasingly clear that 5th edition isn't pleasing fans of any edition,  despite it's intent to approximate the gameplay of each preceeding edition.  In this thread,  I'm arguing that the problem isn't the goal,  it's the approach,  and I'll outline an approach I believe achieves the goal in a much more fluid fashion.

First,  instead of looking at the differences in the system,  lets look at the common ground.  In each system...

-A Character is defined by a set of ability scores
-A Character has some attack and defense value
-A Character has some method of Saving Throw
-A Character has some Alignment
-A Character has some collection of abilities(Class Features)/spells

Across all 4 editions,  I believe those statements hold true.  So how can we use that information?  When you reflect on all 4 editions,  those items are largely the same.  My ability scores in 1st edition are largely the same as 4th edition.  Sure,  there's some changes such as THAC0,  or the condensing of those saving throws to fewer values.  There's differences in the mechanics of how those things work,  but for right now,  we're not interested in the how,  we'll deal with that a bit later.

What then is the difference between editions?  The addition of skills,  feats,  powers,  prestige classes.  These are important to the base implementation of a better modular system than what is currently being used.  So let's use that information...

Let's assume that the common facets can be used to form a unified base.  Our base is...

-A Character defined by 6 attributes
-A Character has an attack value,  and a armor class
-A Character has a set of saving throws
-A Character has an alignment
-A Character has universal class features and spells (Summon animal companion,  shapeshift,  etc)

...And we have 1st edition D&D!  That base set of common facets largely defines the 1st edition character.  Certainly,  there's some fine details in there that need discussed,  but at the moment we can wait to investigate those.  So what else can we do with that information?

We can give the Character skills/proficiencies as a module.  This largely advanced us to 2nd edition D&D.  Similarly,  all we really need to advance to 3rd edition D&D is just to have a Feat module.  The fine implementation of the modules really isn't likely to be a major issue,  I doubt any edition fan would be hugely upset if there was a unified skills module,  it's just the presence or absence of things like feats that I suspect is the major issue.  Equally,  Kits/Prestige Classes aren't all that far off in implementation,  and it's likely a unified system could be adapted.

So let's take it a step further?  Can we get 4th edition out of this?  Largely,  we can,  if we add a healing surge module,  a module where spells are treated as powers,  and add a powers module we can start approximating 4th edition.

Now at this point,  a major question/issue arises.  How do we deal with the issues that arise between the spells/powers systems,  or the traditional/4th edition healing systems?  At this point,  all we're dealing with is math.  That makes this easy,  math can be scaled to support the two competing systems.  All we really need with our powers system is a table that lists new values for spells,  and we just need to design our spells/powers system such that it's a easy multiplier of our base system.  If we assume that healing surges provide characters with 1.5x HP's,  we can design our system such that monsters just need their HP's scaled 1.5x.

Can we do this with our monster design?  Can we approximate each edition?  Absolutely.  Monster design for each edition is largely the same.  The major differences are in special abilities.  We can give our creatures optional "Ability modules" such that Level Drain,  or Save vs Death can be used or ignored.  We can give them spell resistance as an optional module.  It's really trivial actually...

Monster
Attributes
Damage
AC
Alignment
XP

[Optional]
Ability - Leve Drain  (Add 500xp)
MR - 25% (Add 500xp)

We assume a xp value for the base creature,  and we just add optional modules with xp values associated with it.

So doesn't that end up making leveling faster in some variants and slower in others?  It does.  It's slightly clumsy,  be we can include in an appendix of variant leveling tables and address not only the leveling disparity,  but also more closely approximate earlier editions.

We can keep reapplying this system:  Find the common ground and apply that as our base "1st edition" system,  find the differences and keep working our way back up algorithmically for all of the other systems like Races.

There are trouble spots,  that likely would require a major comprimise.  It's unlikely a common ground could be found with multiclassing for example.  But I suspect that the above system could approximate the earlier editions sufficiently that these areas wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

I believe the goals of 5th edition can be achieved if a algorithmic approach is taken to the problem,  instead of the current approach that seems more like "Mix-N-Match" or "Try and merge two dispirate systems together".  I realize that they're also intending to try and give 5th edition it's own "Flavor",  but really,  the bigger issue is regaining players.  That "Flavor" can be rolled into a whole new campaign setting down the road and see if it flies.
Great idea in theory but I do not think a bare boned system like 1st or BECM would appeal to anyone except fans of those editions. You probably need some sort of skill system for example with an opt out clause for 1st ed fans (rogues get these skills regards, attribute checks for everything else).

And the more complex and powerful options kind of blow monsters out of the water  as well. A 2nd ed combat and tactics fighter is vastly more powerful than a 1989 2nd ed fighter only using the core book. Trying to get the monster math to work would be a nightmare. Some sort of basic skill and class resource sytem is needed. The hardcore 1st ed fans will hate it but you're not going to get everyone regardless. 

I think they have painted themselves into a corner. Myth and Magic kind of comes close with optional talent and skill system but it is to AD&D to appeal to 4th ed fans in most cases. Rather than buy a few more books one can just stick with what you have although the 4th ed fans kind of miss out here due to the OGL. The grogsnard seem to like d20 clones as well so maybe they are not that opposed to some d20 mechanics (skills etc).

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Color me stupid, but isn't the path they are going pretty much the same thing?

There is going to be some basic, stripped down version that we haven't seen yet.
There is the core version we are seeing in the playtests.
There will be advanced options to modify the core toward particular playstyles/edition preferences.
Maybe you've forgotten, but what you just described is literally the exact thought process the developers followed.
Although I still see promise in the current playtest methodology, I'll play along and do some number crunching/examples.

Core/Basic System:

6 Ability Scores (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha) ranging initially from 3-18 before modifiers.
**Systems to Generate: 3d6 as 1 option, Point Buy as 1 option, Standard Array 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10 or 16, 14, 14, 10, 10, 8 let's say.
**Modifier for Ability scores: Score-10/2 round down (ie:3 or less=-4, 4-5=-3, 6-7=-2, 8-9=-1, 10-11=0, 12-13=1, 14-15=2, 16-17=3, 18-19=4, etc...)
By default, Ability Scores are used to attempt any Skill type endeavor as determined by PC and DM within story.

4 Core Races (Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, and Human) w/o Sub-races
**Each Race gets 2 Ability Mods and 2-3 Traits
****Elf: +1 Int, +1 Dex, Low-Light Vision, +2 Vs Charm Effects, +2 to Perception type checks, Longsword or Longbow for free Proficiency
****Dwarf: +1 Con, +1 Str, Low-Light Vision, +2 Vs Poison/Disease, +2 to Underground type checks,  Axes or Hammers for free Proficiency
****Halflings: +1 Dex, +1 Wis, +2 to Stealthy type checks, +1 to hit with Thrown weapons, +1 AC vs Large or larger foes, Sling or Dagger for free Proficiency
****Humans: +1 to any 2 Stats, +1 to all Saving Throws, 1 free weapon proficiency of choice

4 Core Classes (Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard) w/o Sub-classes
**Each Class gets an Attack Bonus, and some other benefits
****Cleric: +1 to Wis or Cha, Advantage on Wis or Cha type checks (Wis/Cha chosen at Character Creation), d6 Hitdie, Channel Divinity Option, Spells, Proficiency with Simple Weapons + God's preferred/signature weapons, Proficiency with upto Medium Armor + God's choice options
****Fighter: +1 to Str or Dex, Advantage on Str or Dex type checks (Str/Dex chosen at Character Creation), d10 Hitdie, Proficiency with Simple and Military Weapons, Proficiency with All Armor and Shields
****Rogue: +1 to Dex or Cha, Advantage on Dex AND Cha type checks, d8 Hitdie, +2 to choice of 4 Rogue Skills (Find/Remove Traps, Pick Locks, Climb Walls, Use Devices, Move Silently, Hide in Shadows, Sneak Attack*, Slight of Hand, Disguise, Read Languages, Diplomacy), Proficiency with All Simple and Light military Melee Weapons,  plus Crossbows, Proficient with Light Armor and Shields.
****Wizard: +1 to Int or Con, Advantage on Int or Con type checks (Int/Con chosen at Character Creation), d6 Hitdie, Cantrips, Spells
*Sneak Attack does +1d6 dmg@1st by taking Disadvantage when you don't already have it, +1d6/every 5th level (5th, 10th, 15th, 20th)

Starting hitpoints at 1st level = 2HD maxed out + Con Mod, +1HD + Con Mod/ Even Level (more HPs @ 1st, slower progression)
Defenses:
  AC: Defense against most physical attacks, 10 + (Dex Mod+Int Mod)/2 + Armor + Shield (Heavy Armor=Max Stat bonus +1, Med: +2)
  Fortitude: Defense against physical condition attacks, 10 + (Str mod+Con Mod)/2
  Fortitude Saving Throw: 1d20 + Str Mod + Con Mod
  Reflex: Defense against area attacks, 10 + (Dex Mod+Int Mod)/2 + Shield
  Reflex Saving Throw: 1d20 + Dex Mod + Int Mod
  Will: Defense against Psychic/non-physical attacks, 10 + (Wis mod+Cha Mod)/2 + Helmet
  Will Saving Throw: 1d20 + Wis mod + Cha Mod

Only "skills" introduced in Core/Basic module are those chosen by the Rogue as his specialties.

HP Recovery: 8 hrs rest recovers all HD, plus you recover Lv+Con Mod hitpoints
                     10 minute rest, spend 1 HD to recover 1HD, with Healers' Kit: 1HD+Con Mod

Cleric's Channel Divinity: by God choice or Turn Undead: Wis vs Will, 1d6/lv Close Burst:3(or 15ft radius if TotM) undead only
Wizard Cantrips: Mage Hand, Light, Prestidigitation, Magic Missile (autohit, 2 missiles, Int Mod damage, Range 50ft)
Duration of all spells by Saving Throw (ie: Spelll says Fort Save Ends, then duration is until successful Fort save)
Action Economy: Can move and make 1 action on turn, plus 1 swift/free action per round(Swift Spell, Reaction, Attack of Opportunity, etc..)
Initiative: Dex Mod + 1d20 (either individual, or slowest PC vs slowest Enemy group init)

Suggested Modules by Edition Style:
AD&D: Expanded Class Module (Subclasses: Paladin,Ranger, Illusionist, Druid)
           Expanded Race Module (Subraces + Halfelf + Gnome)
           Weapon Damage Type and Speed Factor, Initiative rolled at beginning of each turn.
           Dual-Class Module / Racial Multiclass Module

3.x:    Expanded Class Module (Paladin, Ranger, Druid, Bard, Barbarian, Sorcerer + others as desired)
          Expanded Race Module (Subraces + Half elf + Gnome + Others as desired)
          Prestige Class Module
          Open Multiclassing Module
          Feats Module
          Skills Module
          Grid-Based Tactical Module

4e:    AEDU Power Module
         Expanded Class Module (you get the idea)
         Expanded Race Module
         Hybrid Multiclass System
         Feas Module + Feats Multiclass System
         Skills Module
         Healing Surge Module with 2nd Wind Mechanic
         Grid-Based tactical Module

Other/Specialty Build Modules:
        Backgrounds Module (with Skills)
        Specialty Module (with Feats)
        Cohorts Module (Animal Companions, Familiars, Followers, Henchmen, Summoneds, etc...)
        Class Build Module (Schemes, Traditions/Schools, Expertise Dice, Ki Powers, Diety Domains, etc...)
        Mass-Combat Module
        Planar Travel Module
        Alternate Casting Module
        Point Based (Classless) Module
        etc....

Want continued support for 4e, check this out, 4e Lives and Breaths

Check out MY eZine, Random Encounters Seuss (lordseussmd on YM)
Of course, My previous post was on the PC side of things, on the DM/Monster side of things:

Core/Basic system:
Iconic D&D Monsters used
Stat Block includes:
***Monster Name and Species
***Monster Size, Speed, and Movement Types
***HD and Average HPs
***Defenses followed by Save Version in parethesis
***Any Special Traits (Immunity, Resistance, Aura)
***Standard Attacks with effects
***Typical Equipment/Treasure
***Level and Experience Point Value
***Encounter Info (Number typically appearing, Typical Terrain, Activity Cycle (Nocturnal/Diurnal, etc) young to adult ratio, Lair info)
***Fluff/Flavor Text with typical combat tactics in rough (ie: Like to ambush foes unless drastically superior numbers, builds traps, etc...)

I know its a 4e thing, but personally, I would still have the Attacks already precalculated out in a (X vs Y:Hit:A, Miss:B, Effect:C) format

Although I still see promise in the current playtest methodology, I'll play along and do some number crunching/examples.

Core/Basic System:

6 Ability Scores (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha) ranging initially from 3-18 before modifiers.
**Systems to Generate: 3d6 as 1 option, Point Buy as 1 option, Standard Array 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10 or 16, 14, 14, 10, 10, 8 let's say.
**Modifier for Ability scores: Score-10/2 round down (ie:3 or less=-4, 4-5=-3, 6-7=-2, 8-9=-1, 10-11=0, 12-13=1, 14-15=2, 16-17=3, 18-19=4, etc...)
By default, Ability Scores are used to attempt any Skill type endeavor as determined by PC and DM within story.

****Elf: +1 Int, +1 Dex, Low-Light Vision, +2 Vs Charm Effects, +2 to Perception type checks, Longsword or Longbow for free Proficiency
****Dwarf: +1 Con, +1 Str, Low-Light Vision, +2 Vs Poison/Disease, +2 to Underground type checks,  Axes or Hammers for free Proficiency
****Halflings: +1 Dex, +1 Wis, +2 to Stealthy type checks, +1 to hit with Thrown weapons, +1 AC vs Large or larger foes, Sling or Dagger for free Proficiency
****Humans: +1 to any 2 Stats, +1 to all Saving Throws, 1 free weapon proficiency of choice

****Cleric: +1 to Wis or Cha, Advantage on Wis or Cha type checks (Wis/Cha chosen at Character Creation), d6 Hitdie, Channel Divinity Option, Spells, Proficiency with Simple Weapons + God's preferred/signature weapons, Proficiency with upto Medium Armor + God's choice options
****Fighter: +1 to Str or Dex, Advantage on Str or Dex type checks (Str/Dex chosen at Character Creation), d10 Hitdie, Proficiency with Simple and Military Weapons, Proficiency with All Armor and Shields
****Rogue: +1 to Dex or Cha, Advantage on Dex AND Cha type checks, d8 Hitdie, +2 to choice of 4 Rogue Skills (Find/Remove Traps, Pick Locks, Climb Walls, Use Devices, Move Silently, Hide in Shadows, Sneak Attack*, Slight of Hand, Disguise, Read Languages, Diplomacy), Proficiency with All Simple and Light military Melee Weapons,  plus Crossbows, Proficient with Light Armor and Shields.
****Wizard: +1 to Int or Con, Advantage on Int or Con type checks (Int/Con chosen at Character Creation), d6 Hitdie, Cantrips, Spells
*Sneak Attack does +1d6 dmg@1st by taking Disadvantage when you don't already have it, +1d6/every 5th level (5th, 10th, 15th, 20th)

Starting hitpoints at 1st level = 2HD maxed out + Con Mod, +1HD + Con Mod/ Even Level (more HPs @ 1st, slower progression)
Defenses:
  AC: Defense against most physical attacks, 10 + (Dex Mod+Int Mod)/2 + Armor + Shield (Heavy Armor=Max Stat bonus +1, Med: +2)
  Will: Defense against Psychic/non-physical attacks, 10 + (Wis mod+Cha Mod)/2 + Helmet

Only "skills" introduced in Core/Basic module are those chosen by the Rogue as his specialties.

Cleric's Channel Divinity: by God choice or Turn Undead: Wis vs Will, 1d6/lv Close Burst:3(or 15ft radius if TotM) undead only
Wizard Cantrips: Mage Hand, Light, Prestidigitation, Magic Missile (autohit, 2 missiles, Int Mod damage, Range 50ft)
Duration of all spells by Saving Throw (ie: Spelll says Fort Save Ends, then duration is until successful Fort save)
Action Economy: Can move and make 1 action on turn, plus 1 swift/free action per round(Swift Spell, Reaction, Attack of Opportunity, etc..)
Initiative: Dex Mod + 1d20 (either individual, or slowest PC vs slowest Enemy group init)

Weapon Damage Type and Speed Factor, Initiative rolled at beginning of each turn.

3.x:    Expanded Class Module (Paladin, Ranger, Druid, Bard, Barbarian, Sorcerer + others as desired)
          Prestige Class Module
          Feats Module
          Skills Module

Expanded Race Module
         Hybrid Multiclass System
         Skills Module

Cohorts Module (Animal Companions, Familiars, Followers, Henchmen, Summoneds, etc...)
        Class Build Module (Schemes, Traditions/Schools, Expertise Dice, Ki Powers, Diety Domains, etc...)
        Mass-Combat Module
        Planar Travel Module
        Alternate Casting Module
        etc....

Ok, while my earlier post still stands, I'm just going to say, if this game were to be made, I would never need another TTRPG. Seriously, this would be perfect.

Core/Basic System:

Defenses:

Prestige Class Module
          Feats Module
          Skills Module

Expanded Race Module
         Hybrid Multiclass System
         Skills Module

Mass-Combat Module
        Planar Travel Module
        Alternate Casting Module
        etc....

Ok, while my earlier post still stands, I'm just going to say, if this game were to be made, I would never need another TTRPG. Seriously, this would be perfect.

Great, so I'll put you down for how many copies? =^}
I would love to work in game design, shoot, right now I would just love to work, but game design has been a hobby as well as a dream job as long as I can remember (and I started playing RPGs at age 7, back in 1978, LOL) - Not only do I playtest 5e whenever possible, I am also a playtester for a game called Fractured Destinies that a friend is designing, and at any given time I have 20 or so ideas jutted down in various Word, Notepad, and Excel files playing around with mechanics and such...I'm also the Director of Table Top games for a local Convention (Year 5 this year, Woot) so I'm all about gaming, if I could do gaming 24/7, I would, believe Me! I'd market the above, except that the last thing I want to do is steal from WotC...the above is what I think Next should eventually look like, if they get it right, to Me, again, but I'm supporting the process either way...but if they'd put me on the team, I'd be packed and ready to move to Washington, LOL

You turned the rogue into a striker and made part of the AD&D fans go away.

That's not enough hit points to get 1d6/level fireballs and multiple attacks. You lost more AD&D fans, probably not that much but your chipping your fan base one at a time.

That's 4th edition hit points. More  AD&D/3rd edition fans gone.

At-will magic? Bye bye AD&D/3rd edition fans.

That pretty much means magic = crap (to AD&D/3rd edition standards). A lot more AD&D/3rd edition fans gone. This one is a big issue.

Does my fighter get multiple attacks in this thing?

Expanded Race Module
         Hybrid Multiclass System
         Skills Module

Is there a non-AEDU warlord or dragonborn in there that I can use in my AD&D module?

Are you making two seperate spell lists for the casters? One for AEDU and one for non-AEDU?

Are some of these powers redundant with feats that give fighters special attacks (3rd edition module)?

The point is its a More Modular approach. Is it going to please everyone? NO...is anything going to? NO...the target market is too diverse. I have great hopes for DnDNext as it happens, but that doesn't mean its going to do it either.

As to the modularity of this, that means yes, there can be a modular non-AEDU warlord or dragonborn in there usable with what you've chosen for your AD&D module (I listed several suggested possible modules under each style, not a single module with all those features). Yes there will both be a Spell List and an AEDU Powers list Module or 3. Yes, Some powers and feats may be redundantly repeated in different formats as a Module or 3 as well.

Yes, you can include a module that incorporates Multi-Attacking if you want, its MODULAR! The point is, this is a framework that can have these varioud modules attach to it, various Dials adjust it, and various mutations change it, as DnDNext's original design goals stated.

As to the Sneak Attack progression turning the Rogue into a Striker, if you notice, I listed Sneak Attack in as one of several CHOICES that the Rogue gets to pick 4 from...so your Rogue could be built as a Striker, while My rogue could be built as a Con Man, and HIS Rogue could be built as a 2nd Story Man...all using the same BASIC streamlined system.

Magic as "Save Ends" duration in general doesn't suck, that can often mean that something that typically would have had a shorter duration would have a longer one against some foes, depending on the dice rolls.

As to At-Will magic meaning Bye Bye to some AD&Ders...as I've said many times, I am an AD&Der, shoot, I'm an OD&Der, and a 4e fan, I've played them all, and the point of this is to try to bring about the Best aspects of all the editions but making them work together, making options when they won't play together so that a table can choose themselves in those cases. Shoot, Pathfinder, the so-called inheriter of all things 3.x, 3.75 if you willl, has at-will magic, optional systems for some at-will magic have been around since 2e in fact.

Nothing will please everyone, and I'm not trying to replace 5e, I'm just answering the challenge of this particular thread...A 'Better' modular system. Better is relative, this is the modular system I would most go or at present.

As to the HPs thing, don't even understand your comment there...
2HD Maxed out plus Con Mod @ 1st Lv, assuming a 14 Con for each, that's:
Fighter 22hps
Rogue: 18hps
Cleric: 14hps
Wizard: 14hps
and at Even levels, they get +1HD and +Con Mod, so
Fighter: Lv1: 22hps, Lv2 +1d10+2 so upto 34hps but with avg roll 29.5 hps and lowest roll 25 hps, 25-34hps, at Lv4 another +1d10+2, so 28 hps - 46 hps range
Rogue: Lv1: 18hps, Lv2 +1d8+2 so upto 28 hps but with an avg roll 24.5 hps and a lowest roll 21 hps, 21-28hps, at Lv4 another +1d8+2, so 24-38 hps range
Cleric/Wizard: Lv1: 14hps, Lv2 +1d6+2 so upto 22 hps but with an avg roll 19.5 hps, and a lowest roll 17hps, 17-22hps, at Lv4 another +1d6+2, so 20-30 hps range

Slower advancement, getting new HPs and HD only every other level, but you front-load the hitpoints so lower level PCs get more starting survivability so a lucky shot won't take them out right away most times...and get more hitpoints immediately at 2nd level before you have to wait, first skipped level is 3rd.

Don't know what this relates to Fireball and its 1d6/lv damage potential from older editions at all?
Also, Hitpoints and Healing are obviously major segments that are going to be Dials and Modular anyway. Some want grittier, some want more cinamatic...this system makes an excellent framework/baseline to accomplish both:

Grittier Option: 1HD+Con Mod @ 1st lv, +1HD+Mod every Odd level,
Grittier than that: 1HD @ 1st lv, +1+Con Mod every level
More Cinamatic Option: Short Rest spend 1HD, roll entire HD total+Con Mod+Lv (no Mod or Lv w/o Healer's Kit) and heal that much, then drop HD total by 1 (ie: your total HD is 5, you spend 1, roll 5dX+Con+Lv and heal that much, now you have 4, next rest, you spend 1, roll 4dX+Con+Lv and heal that much, now you have 3, etc...)
More Cinamatic & Heartier Option: Heal as previous option, but start with 1HD+Con Score, gain 1HD+Con/Lv, minimum roll of HD avg round down (d6=3, d8=4, d10=5, d12=6), full heal and HD restored after long rest.

There are tons of ways you can modify the simple core...the thing is, it IS simple and IS Moduler 

The point is its a More Modular approach. Is it going to please everyone? NO...is anything going to? NO...the target market is too diverse. I have great hopes for DnDNext as it happens, but that doesn't mean its going to do it either.

Don't get me wrong. I like your approach. I just wish it could be that simple. I still hope it can be this easy.

As to the Sneak Attack progression turning the Rogue into a Striker, if you notice, I listed Sneak Attack in as one of several CHOICES that the Rogue gets to pick 4 from...so your Rogue could be built as a Striker, while My rogue could be built as a Con Man, and HIS Rogue could be built as a 2nd Story Man...all using the same BASIC streamlined system.

Didn't notice that. It's a long post, sorry about that!

Magic as "Save Ends" duration in general doesn't suck, that can often mean that something that typically would have had a shorter duration would have a longer one against some foes, depending on the dice rolls.

I didn't say suck, I said sucks to AD&D standards which is completely different.

But then again, if the typical AD&D fans looks anything like the ones in my surrounding, the key to winning them over is to have mechanics that make sense. Immersion has a much higher priority for these players than balance.

If you're paralyzed, it's not unreasonable to have a saving throw every round (as an action) to try to break the spell. If you're stuck in webs, it's reasonable to give the opponent a saving throw to escape (as an action). If you're stun, it's reasonable to have a save end that doesn't require an action (you just snapped out of it). Etc...

But if you're asleep. Hmmm, I don't see it. But it doesn't matter because your buddies can spend an action to wake you up.

I guess you're right. As long as the saving throw has a justification, it doesn't really matter.

Don't know what this relates to Fireball and its 1d6/lv damage potential from older editions at all?

It's not enough hit points to have a fireball that deals 1d6 damage per level. Some people consider the 1d6/level part iconic. Personally, I get all excited everytime I grab those 10d6 and roll them. I can live with a 5d6 fireball but they're just not as fun .
I think the one mistake they are making is trying to combine too much into feats, if you look at 3E or 4E the feat system is neutral to deliver more options. If they keep maneuvers and spells in the game then feats do not take on to much. In addition, maneuvers and spells can be combined to create powers and AEDU while still keeping the feat option neutral.