Deadly strike on spells?

I can almost guarantee this has been asked. I looked. I could not find it. I was wondering if you could combine spells and deadly strike? I know the text says weapon but, I mean... this is a "beta". Do you think its within the spirit of the ability to allow this?
No, I don't think it's within the spirit of the ability. All weapons have a single damage die, so it's simple for deadly strike to grant multiple copies of that die. Some spells have many dice, like Fireball: 6d6. 6d6->12d6 is a vastly better improvement than 1d8->2d8, right? That would be completely unfair.

Also, cantrips already scale in damage at the same rate as a Fighter's deadly strike. (1d8 at first level, 2d8 at 5th, 3d8 at 10th...). Other spells can be augmented by casting them in a higher spell slot to increase the damage. So there are already several systems in place to keep magic attacks in line with weapon attacks, so it would not make sense to apply deadly strike, which is designed for weapons.
No, I don't think it's within the spirit of the ability. All weapons have a single damage die, so it's simple for deadly strike to grant multiple copies of that die. Some spells have many dice, like Fireball: 6d6. 6d6->12d6 is a vastly better improvement than 1d8->2d8, right? That would be completely unfair.

Also, cantrips already scale in damage at the same rate as a Fighter's deadly strike. (1d8 at first level, 2d8 at 5th, 3d8 at 10th...). Other spells can be augmented by casting them in a higher spell slot to increase the damage. So there are already several systems in place to keep magic attacks in line with weapon attacks, so it would not make sense to apply deadly strike, which is designed for weapons.

I don't mean that a 6d6 fireball becomes a 6d6xDeadly strike. The "die" for fireball is still d6 and the die for lance of faith is still d8. Thus, yes you would have a higher pool of dice being rolled but there is no ability modifier like with weapons, thus a different graph of results but still comparable.

I don't mean that a 6d6 fireball becomes a 6d6xDeadly strike. The "die" for fireball is still d6 and the die for lance of faith is still d8. Thus, yes you would have a higher pool of dice being rolled but there is no ability modifier like with weapons, thus a different graph of results but still comparable.

I still don't think that is the intent. Cantrips are supposed to be weaker than weapon attacks because spellcasters have access to spells that are much more powerful than weapon attacks in a limited capacity. I would never allow deadly strike to apply an extra die on a spell.

Another reason is that it puts classes with spellcasting and combat ability ahead of pure spellcasters in magical ability, just by virtue of them being better with weapons. That doesn't make sense and isn't fair to the Wizard who should be all rights be the best spellcaster because it doesn't have any combat ability.
Cantrips already get deadly strike. At the same levels that Deadly Strike happens for most classes, cantrips also get an extra die of damage.