New Rogues?

I've been futzing around with character generation for the new rogues, and I'm not sure I like how it is going.

Can we make a rogue that actually does normal rogue things with the new package?

I want a rogue to open locks, disarm traps, and sneak.     Do I have to pick either Thief or Treasure Hunter and then use a feat (specialty) to pick up either disarm traps or open locks?    This seems to limit me quite a bit.

I'm also not a fan of the mastery giving an extra 1d6 to the skill roll.  I'd rather have Skill Focus or Skill Supremacy as the add on for selected skills.   The extra 1d6 for mastery adds another type of bonus when there really isn't a need for it since they already have the feats with separate mechanics.

Maybe they need to have an entry that tells how to create your own rogue --- Pick 2 extra skills (with which you gain skill focus for one and skill focus and supremacy for the other) and three bonus feats (from the general or expert list), either backstab or isolated strike.   After that they could give suggestions for the other schemes.

What do you think?  

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

That is a horrible idea...that would be modularity! /sarcasm

Fans are good at creating houseruled modules, game designers seem to go in the opposite direction. So yes good idea.
Yeah, they need to move all the "packages" (schemes, deities, etc.) into a separate document or something to make it easier to read and construct your own character. The rogue schemes right now are just a bag of feats.

Mastery seems to break the idea of bounded skills. The average level 20 rogue takes 20 (with Ace in the Hole), +5 attribute, rolls +1d12 skill, +1d6 skill mastery, for a maximum 43 and an average 35. Skill Focus and Skill Supremacy are useless with Ace in the Hole, and Mastery just bumps up the average and the upper bounds even higher.

Anyway, the Skill Focus / Skill Supremacy / Skill Mastery thing is too much. They need to pick one concept, make it into a feat, and give it to rogues for free.

I'd also like to see bonus skill feats acquired as the rogue levels up.

Can we make a rogue that actually does normal rogue things with the new package?

I want a rogue to open locks, disarm traps, and sneak.     Do I have to pick either Thief or Treasure Hunter and then use a feat (specialty) to pick up either disarm traps or open locks?    This seems to limit me quite a bit.

Rhenny, the new rogue does open locks and disarm traps.  He automatically gains proficiency with thieves tools.  He doesn't need a feat to disarm traps or open locks.  So against easy (DC 10), moderate (DC 15), and hard traps (DC20) and locks he makes a Dexterity ability check which shouldn't be too tough.  With the Disarm Traps feat he avoids triggering a trap if he fails by 5 or less.  And Open Locks allows him to open magical locks.  Both of the feats also grant him an extra d6 like having a skill.  

Rhenny, the new rogue does open locks and disarm traps.  He automatically gains proficiency with thieves tools.  He doesn't need a feat to disarm traps or open locks.  So against easy (DC 10), moderate (DC 15), and hard traps (DC20) and locks he makes a Dexterity ability check which shouldn't be too tough.  With the Disarm Traps feat he avoids triggering a trap if he fails by 5 or less.  And Open Locks allows him to open magical locks.  Both of the feats also grant him an extra d6 like having a skill.  

Oh...I see.   Thanks, I guess I was mixed up and assumed that having the feat was necessary.  That's a little better, but it still seems a little more clunky having +1d6 when skill focus and skill supremacy are both existing feats that augment skill use.

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

I've been using my own scheme for a while and plan to continue using it.  Here are the rules for making your own scheme based on the design guidelines.

Isolated Strike or Backstab or Whatever the Hell Acrobats do that I'm Too Busy to Look Up
2 Bonus Skills
3 Bonus Expert Feats
Skill Mastery - Gain a bonus 1d6 for checks related to your two bonus skill

Personally I really miss having 4 Bonus Skills because I didn't feel like it was throwing off the game balance.

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

Yeah, they need to move all the "packages" (schemes, deities, etc.) into a separate document or something to make it easier to read and construct your own character.

YEAH! Someone who agrees with me!
Seriously.
They are making it harder to use the rules unless you have been around for at least 2 or 3 playtest packets and have already figured out how to use these rules. One example is removing the Skill Descriptions from the Background and Skills section and putting them in the How to Play section.