noob question - new to D&D

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've just bought the Red Box. What minature pack should I buy to accompany it given that I hate using card counters?
In my opinion?  You are better off getting specific ones instead of the random packs.  I've never gotten what I wanted from a random pack.  I was going to suggest the board game, but that has card counters.

You don't even really need miniatures anyways.  You can use anything to signify what is where.
Do you hate using spare change?  If not, use spare change.

If you really want specific minis, that's not a question we can answer based on your information given.  It really depends on what you want to run. 
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
I typically use pieces of snack food as miniatures.
I typically use M&M's or Skittles to represent Minions. You kill the minion, you get to eat the Skittle.
Your home town may be different but most of the game shops arround here have singles of D&D minis, and hero clix and 2 or 3 other mini's games for sale on trays in the counters.

Buying random packs and hopeing you get what you might need could end up costing a lot of money and not giving you what you wanted. 

There were some older starter type boxes that showed the minis that you might still be able to find.    
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
I've just bought the Red Box. What minature pack should I buy to accompany it given that I hate using card counters?

Go to Troll and Toad or any of the other internet miniatures sites and buy the specific minis you want to go with that adventure. 

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

No reason to limit yourself to just D&D miniatures.  Plenty of other great models on the market that can fit a D&D story.  We've got a nice collection of painted Reaper minis from over the years and they see regular play.  No two minions look alike!

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I recommend Twilight Creation's "Bag o Zombies."  100  ~25mm scale humanoid figures for cheap.

If you're into the old school lead-painting, Reaper makes some good figures. 

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

If you want miniatures, I recommend considering several online sources:

Prepainted (plastic) Minis:
Troll and Toad (mentioned above): www.trollandtoad.com/
MiniatureMarket: www.miniaturemarket.com/
BeholderTheBargains: www.beholderthebargains.com/servlet/Stor...
AuggiesGamesOnline: auggiesgamesonline.3dcartstores.com/

If you are willing to consider metal minis that you paint, MiniatureMarket carries those as well. You may want to add
FRP Games: www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore
ReaperMinis Online Store: www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore

There are many others, of course, but those are some I've had success with.

In general, I favor buying the minis you want rather than buying the random sets. It tends to be cheaper in the end.