Question about AC

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Regarding AC, if you're wearing heavy armour you add 10, plus your half level, plus the armor bonus right? But if your not wearing heavy armour, you add 10, plus your half level, plus your Dex or Int so something like a Warlock will have as much as AC as something like a Fighter right? Am I doing this right cause that seems wrong. Ex, Fighter Lvl 1 will have 10 + 7(lets say scale armour) but a Warlock Lvl 1 will have 10 + 3(hide armour) plus Int(2) which equals 15 AC which really doesn't seem much lower than 17. 
You're doing it right. That's just the way the game is balanced. Usually the baseline for a defender is about level+18 AC, and I think it's level+15 or so for strikers.

EDIT: And AC itself is a bit abstract. It represents not just physical armor protection but also the character's ability to avoid danger. So, a scale wearing fighter w/ AC 17 is able to take hits because his armor is thick. A rogue with AC 17 is able to maneuver out of the way, making him equally hard to hit but for a different reason. 
It's also worth noting that shields add to AC - the way many/most defenders get good defences is by using them, and I'm fairly sure there are not any non-defender classes which can use heavy shields natively..
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
It's also worth noting that shields add to AC - the way many/most defenders get good defences is by using them, and I'm fairly sure there are not any non-defender classes which can use heavy shields natively..

Warlord gets the option if they choose Battlefront Leader in place of Combat Leader.  Warpriest gets it natively.  And Cleric doesn't get it, but can get the +2 shield bonus with Battle Cleric's Lore, of course.
Yeah, heavy armor wearers get screwed in the AC competition, but that's never going to change in a game where everyone seems to think that a guy wearing a loincloth or leather can have an ARMOR class as good as a guy in full plate with a heavy shield because he's smarter and faster.  Never mind that that's what REFLEX should represent. 

IIRC, by 30th level a Paladin with plate and heavy shield would only win out on AC by one point over a hide-wearing Warden.  Plus the Paladin would have a movement penalty and 3x the penalty to strength-based skills which might be one of the things he's supposed to be good at ... and oh yeah, since MME, the hide-wearer can stack on elven chain too for even more armor so he wins that contest.

But as long as weapon attacks are almost always against AC, there will be a need in 4e to have everyone have a descent enough AC, and as long as the trope of lightly armored warriors going toe to toe with heavily armored opponents exists, this won't really change. 

Personally, if they just removed the movement penalty for plate and reduced the skill penalty, that'd at least put plate wearers on a more fair footing.  Yeah, there are feat taxes to fix that, and maybe some would consider giving them away for free.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Sign In to post comments